Day VI

Prize Catch

Nothing. Not a sound but his own breathing. Sehun was alone again, but this time, he knew what he was missing. His fingers sought for Luhan’s delicate frame, wanting to trail along the pale skin, pink lips, blond hair. His eyes search for those ice-blue orbs, but he sees nothing, nothing but the foaming ocean.

 

The first thing he had done was to reach over to the other side of the bed, feeling around for Luhan’s body. But when his hand met air, Sehun bolts upright, flinging off the covers onto the cold floor, pulling on a shirt and sweatpants. Luhan. Where was he?

 

With hurried steps, he makes his way to the deck, calling out Luhan’s name, his voice raw with desperation. His voice echoes across the ocean, but he hears nothing. Not even the sound of the waves lapping against the bottom of his boat. He barely registers the nets hanging on the side of the boat, magically preparing themselves for the prize catch tomorrow. The only thing on his mind was Luhan.

 

There wasn’t many places for the other man to be, it was either the boat or the icy waters beneath it. After searching the boat, searching every nook and cranny twice, thrice, Sehun’s heart sinks as he realizes that Luhan must have gone back. Gone back to prepare for whatever ceremony he had to go through. But what if Sehun didn’t want to do this anymore, didn’t want to forget his memories of Luhan?

“Luhan!” he shouts, to who, he’s not sure of himself, but he shouts anyway, hoping that someone, anyone will hear him. “Luhan, please, come back to me,” he whimpers, slumping against the edge of the deck, staring into the slightly murky seas. They seemed darker than usual, more intimidating.

 

Suddenly, Sehun was scrambling backwards, his dagger pointing at the stranger that had surfaced from the waters.

“Who are you?” He had been hoping that it was Luhan, but this merman was definitely not him. The one in front of him was the complete opposite of his prince, his hair cut and styled the same as Luhan’s, but the colour a midnight black. His tail swished below the water, blurred, but Sehun could still make out the dark colour that matched his hair. I wonder if Luhan’s is as white as his hair then? Even his skin was slightly tanned, compared to the porcelain white of Luhan’s.

 

“I am the first prince of Měirényú, Jongin.” Sehun’s thoughts of Luhan were interrupted when this Jongin introduced himself, bowing his head slightly. He made no move to get out of the water, but that made sense since his tail wouldn’t have helped much in terms of walking on the boat.

“First?” Sehun’s mind was still reeling at seeing a real merman in front of him.

“Yes, Luhan’s older brother.” Jongin raises an eyebrow at Sehun’s quietness. He had been expecting a bombard of questions, most of them about Luhan.

“Why are you here?” asks Sehun, looking at the merman.

“I heard your calls for Luhan.” Jongin shrugs, but there was a deeper meaning somewhere, from the way his eyes darted back and forth, looking everywhere except for Sehun.

“But why didn’t he come?” presses Luhan, inching closer to Jongin. “Why isn’t he here?”

“I- I can’t tell you that.” The first prince starts moving from side to side nervously.

“Why not?” Sehun was starting to get frustrated with Jongin, who came of his own will, but wasn’t revealing anything of importance.

“He asked me not to,” he replies simply.

“Then why are you here?” repeats Sehun, his voice adopting a hard edge.

 

“Luhan said that he’s okay with it, going through this year and year again.” Sehun quirked an eyebrow at the sudden mention of Luhan, which didn’t exactly answer his question. He snapped, unable to contain himself.

“Where are you going with this? I know it myself, and I feel so horrible, so crappy, I don’t need you to tell me-”

“But I know how much it hurts him. I know that he’ll break one day.” Jongin’s eyes were droopy, his voice soft. But it had no effect on Sehun.

“So why are you here?!” he finally exploded, huffing impatiently.

“I’m here to take you to him!” responded Jongin with as much passion, splashing the water beside him with his clenched fists.

 

“Wh- What?” Sehun’s face froze in shock. That certainly wasn’t what he was expecting, not at all.

“I’ve been in his place. As first prince, I was in his position before, until I fell in love.”

“What happened?” Sehun asks quietly, not wanting to pry. But his curiousity was taking over, his need for Luhan growing stronger.

“It went just as it is currently happening with Luhan. Being forgotten, but always coming back.” Oh.

“But?” There has to be a but. There has to be.

“But it wasn’t enough,” admits Jongin. “One day, he followed me. He followed me, and we both were reincarnated.” The way he said it made it seem as if he was reluctant to admit it, but he had a spark in his eyes when he made eye-contact with Sehun, making up his mind.

 

“Then can I go with Luhan?” He only asks out of politeness, but Sehun knew. He knew that he would try and follow Luhan. No matter what Jongin’s answer was.

“I- I don’t know… Father was angry at me for a while, taking a mortal with me. He made sure to up the security for Luhan, especially when Luhan first talked of you, with sparkles in his eyes.” Sehun almost blushed at the image of Luhan talking about him to his parents, but there were more important things to be discussed.

 

“Take me to him.” Sehun’s tone was clear that it was not up for discussion, but Jongin was still hesitant, his father’s wrath on his mind.

“But-” Sehun’s glare silences Jongin, who rephrases what he was about to say. “Are you sure?”

“I’ve at least got to try.” The brave face slips slightly, but there’s no mistaking his determination, from the way his shoulders set themselves, to the way his lips pressed into a thin line. Jongin gives him a look, but softens when he recognizes the fire, the flame in the young man’s eyes.

 

“Take a sip of this, it’ll knock you out while I take you to the palace.” The prince hands Sehun a small vial, filled with an onyx liquid.

“How do I know I can trust you?” The colour of the liquid was less than reassuring, looking like tar.

“Well, you haven’t stabbed me with our family heirloom yet, so I think it’s safe to say that you already do,” says Jongin, eyeing the dagger that was now lying on the wooden deck with mild amusement.

“Hmm.” And with no more hesitating, Sehun uncaps the vial, gulping down the viscous liquid in one go, cringing at the strange taste. Before he could complain though, his vision goes hazy, and the last thing he registers is Jongin telling him to jump into his arms, which he barely manages to succeed at.

 

“Sleep, son of Oh. You will see Luhan soon.” And with that, Sehun lets his heavy eyelids close, feeling the cold bite of the water on his skin before it numbs completely, darkness taking over.