Playground

Bundle of Love Strings

Playground

(feat. Wonder Girls' Ahn Sohee & GOT7's Mark Tuan)

"My small playground that was my everything in my young world"

 

 

It was at this playground where our friendship began. Summer was almost over but the heat was still unbearable and instead of being in an air circulated building, I was outside having a battle against the heat because my spoiled little brother always got what he wanted, and that very day he wanted to go to the playground by our house. I was sitting at a shady bench that overlooked the play area with a strawberry ice cream cone in one hand and banana milk in the other when your smile caught my attention. Although I was complaining about the heat and brightness, I silently thanked the sun for providing rays of sunlight that emphasize your silky black hair and milky complexion. You were beautiful and I’m sure the neighborhood boys shared my thought when I noticed a group of boys trailing behind your every movement.

 

I was mesmerized by that eye smile of yours whenever you would stop and admired the full bloomed flowers surrounding the play area. My smile would unconsciously match yours but you didn’t need to know that.

 

“Excuse me, but is that strawberry ice cream?” said a soft voice.

 

Only then had I realize you were standing in front of me. You noticed my existence.

 

“Erg, yes…do you want it?” I asked, amazed at myself for not stuttering.

 

For the first time, I noticed the way your ears perked up when I offered my melted ice cream and a forming blush when I motioned you to sit beside me. Up close I was able to outline every detail about your appearance. Your doe eyes, cherry-like lips, button nose and chubby cheeks made it difficult for 6 year old boy to focus. You were in a pink babydoll dress with bejeweled sandals, simple but elegant. You were a fasionista even as a kid.  

 

“My name is Mark and I’m turning 7 next month. How old are you?” I introduced myself.

 

“I’m Sohee and I turned 7 two months ago! You should call me noona!” You exclaimed.

 

I refused to call you noona that day but I was able to find out that your favorite ice cream flavor is strawberry, you hate cats and your nickname is mandu. You were 7 and I was 6 when we first met.

 

 

We attended the same school for the next 11 years, not that I’m complaining. Throughout the years of being friends, it was established that we were complete opposites except for our shy personality. It was always a question for others as to how a boy like me could capture your heart, an aspiring model liked by everyone and elected as president of student body for three consecutive years. It was senior year which meant every senior was overwhelmed by college acceptance letters, prom, finals, and getting their license. You gave up on the last idea after failing the driving test 4 times and I was there each time to offer you a ride home. You always wonder why I got my license as a sophomore and I never told you because it was meant to be a surprise. I had to commute to my part-time job, a job I kept until I saved enough for a new car and prom essentials.

 

I always thought you were beautiful until I watch you descend the stairway in a champagne dress that loosely hugged your curves and highlight your alluring collarbone. You were truly the definition of a ’goddess.’

 

As the night was coming to an end, we both decided to take a breather from dancing by admiring the night view outside on a balcony. Gazing upon the dark sky, the brightness of the stars shined as if they were holes of the floor in heaven, determined to bring back their fallen angel. At that sight, I mumbled an apology towards the heaven. The fallen angel was resting comfortably in my arms, and I had no intention on giving her back.

 

“Mark” you whispered, your hot breath against my exposed neck intensified my heartbeat.

 

“Mmm” I hummed in reply.

 

You took a deep breath, “Thank you”

 

“For what?” I asked in a puzzled tone.

 

“For staying by my side all these years, support my modeling career, and love me unconditionally.” You turn around slowly and for the first time in 11 years, I was finally able to hear your sincere feelings.

 

“I love you”

 

“I love you too”

 

We were both 17 when we shared our first “I love you”

 

 

“I’m sorry” were the first words you said after not seeing other for half a year because of your film project. You were at your peak then as a model-turned-actress and I understood your situation, I always did.

 

“Don’t be. Are you available this Friday?”

 

“I’m afraid not, I’m only staying for a day. I have to leave for a photoshoot in Australia the following day.” You were truly sorry because I could see the distress in your eyes. I had to understand because of your busy schedule.

 

 

That year I spent my birthday and our anniversary alone again. You were 20 and I was 19 when our relationship began to hit the rocks.

 

 

You were finally back from overseas filming and we planned to celebrate the holidays together. I pictured several scenarios of how our reunion might unfold, but this one was definitely not on the list.

 

“Let’s break up” you said with no humor. I could only sense the dryness and lack of emotion as you enunciate each word like an A-listed actress reading her lines.

 

We were both 22 when our relationship ended. That year I lost my girlfriend along with my best friend.

 

 

Like a summer’s dream, I was cast for an audition at JYPE in the midst of my summer vacation in Seoul. Who would have thought a Taiwanese boy from California would someday become a producer at one of the ‘big 3’ label companies in South Korea. Initially, I came to Seoul that very summer with no dreams and a broken heart, but gained a bargain of a lifetime at the end of my vacation.

 

“Did you hear about the rumors?” asked Jackson, another producer of JYPE.

 

“What rumors?” I replied, curiosity getting to the best of me.

 

“The agency signed an exclusive contract with an international model! How cool is that! I heard that she’s from the States but decided to relocate in South Korea to be closer to her sister. Aren’t you excited?”

 

“Not really, aren’t all models the same? Anorexic girls with lots of makeup and attitude problem?”

 

“For a quiet guy, you’re pretty cynical don’t you think so? Luckily you’re handsome or else I wouldn’t have befriend you!” exclaimed an overly excited Jackson.

 

Perhaps Jackson wasn’t lying about the additional member to our JYP Family because I was called to PDnim’s office to discuss about the new artist featuring on the title track of Sunmi’s mini album.

 

“Based on Jackson’s personality, I’m assuming he already told you about the rumors” spoke JYP

 

“He mentioned it earlier when he stopped by the studio” I answered in formal speech.

 

“You’re not curious about who is this international model that has captured the hearts of all the JYP boys?”

 

“She hasn’t captured mines yet, sir”

 

“Don’t be too sure about that Mark” was his last remark before he left, leaving me alone to ponder about this mysterious girl.

 

JYP never makes the wrong judgment and my case was no exception. The next day at work, I was greeted by your familiar face as I walked through the doors of the studio. You were 27 and I was 26 when we met again in my recording studio. That was also the beginning of another love story.

 

 

24 years later, I am sitting at the same bench where I first laid eyes on you. Instead of the empty space that once occupied the seat besides mine when I was a boy, your presence fills up that previous loneliness now that I am an adult. Unlike the last time we were both here, you have grown as an artist and model in the United States and South Korea respectively whereas I am still that same boy whose world revolves around you. I hate to admit but I will always be in your chokehold.

 

“What are you thinking about?” you asked in a hushed voice to avoid attracting attention from bypassers.

 

“Me and you” came my vague reply causing you to cringe your nose in annoyance

 

“What about us?”

 

“Just reminiscing our years together. We’ve known each other for two decades already, So.”

 

“Time sure flies! It was just yesterday when we were still going to school and not giving a care about the world, but look at us now.”

 

“You never know what’s going to happen in the future so we have to cherish our times together.” I squeezed your hand as I continued.

 

“I’ve been thinking lately that maybe we should take some time to travel the world now that both of our careers are stable. It’s a bit abrupt for you so we can go whenever your schedule is free, I can wait. I waited eight years for you to be my girlfriend, I waited two years while you were abroad fulfilling your dreams as an actress and model, I waited five years for you to come back into my life. I’ve been waiting all my life for you so a little more waiting won’t do any harm. I just want to say one more thing before I give you permission to call me a doofus, slap me, or even kiss me if you’re feeling cheeky today. Waiting is tiresome and sometimes difficult to endure so I want assurance that if for some reason you do leave, don't ever forget to come back. Come back into my arms because that’s where home is, when the both of us are together.” Reaching into my pocket, I pulled out a red heart-shaped box and knelt onto the pavement.

 

“This is where we first met and began a beautiful friendship so I am hoping this will also be where we agree to start a new chapter in our life, whether for better or for worse because I am content with just you by my side. So what do you say, will you marry me and let the world acknowledge you as Tuan Sohee?” 

 

Today you said yes in a heartbeat and made me the happiest man on Earth. You are 31 and I am 30, and our engagment at this very playground represents the lasting foundation of our love. 


Banner from marktherapper & chananarepublic 


Thank you for reading!