The Healing Mission

Even Though I'm Not A Unicorn

"SM Building, Gangnam-gu." Lay mentioned the place we're going to.

Strangely, the cab driver looked not surprised at all.

"You're an idol?" the driver asked with a flat tone while turning on the cab machine. "You're my second idol passenger in this month. Secret date? Don't worry, I won't tell anyone, including the paparazzi."

Yixing just giggled without answering.

BUTTERFLIES, PLEASE. CONTROL YOURSELVES.

We sat on the back seat. It's dark already, the streetlights had . I was worried as hell about what will happen after this. Usually, I directly rushed back to my flat after done with my job. This is the first time I visited the SM building after a while.

We didn't talk. He's too busy with his phone while I was too busy containing my feels, looking at the stupid streetlights outside.

Wait, we're arrived already?

"Here. Just keep the change. Thank you, ahjussi." He handed some bucks, opened the door, and walked outside. I followed and he closed the door for me.

Or not.

***

The other 11 had been waiting in the practice room since hours ago. They looked really surprised. He asked me to join with them in the practice room, so I joined them.

But now I regret that decision.

"YAAAH! WHERE HAVE YOU BEEN?!"

From their facial expression, I know they're mad. At him. Or maybe, at me.

"The practice is delayed for almost 2 hours, well thanks to you!" Suho, the leader, complained.

"I'm sorry, I..."

"You two had a great date?" Baekhyun replied, sinistically.

Nice. You're in a veeeery huge trouble now, Sally.

"Guys, come on." Kris tried to cool the situation down. He spoke in Korean. "At least we had fun just now. And we have no othe schedules after this, right? Come on, let's just start."

You're a really good friend, K. I don't know how I should thank you.

I walked outside and...went home. I felt like there's no need for me to report that I'm going home, even to Kris, He's too busy. Everyone's too busy.

That night, I learned that when your crush left you after a small date you had with him, you'll feel like the whole universe is just for the two of you, but at the same time, you'll also feel lonelier than ever because of his absence.

***

Kris called me that night.

"You didn't tell anyone that you're going home? Well I was about to take you back to your flat but you went home alone."

I sighed.

"No need to do that. I always go home alone. Listen, I'm sorry. I was really stupid. I should've warned him harder that you guys will leave me and him, and I really had no idea about the practice."

Silence.

"It's not your fault. He had explained everything to me. And...Baekhyun was a little bit too much. Sorry for that one."

"No, he wasn't being too much. He was right. I should've not..."

Don't cry, Sally. Don't cry.

But I can't hold my tears.

"Sally, listen, it's just a small delay...oh dear..."

"NO IT'S NOT."

"Ssshhhh. We're not mad at you. Okay? They're always like that. They're just mad at the beginning and look now, everything's just fine. You want me to call Baekkie so he can talk to you?"

"KRIS. DON'T. YOU. EVER. DARE. TO. MAKE. IT. WORSE."

"Emmm, okay, maybe it's not a good idea. But hey, at least there's a point in all of this."

I raised my eyebrows. "Point? What point?"

"The healing mission! Remember? You made a great start! He couldn't control his smile along the practice, no matter how much Baekhyun scowled at him-- uhm well, now not anymore, everything's fine remember? Thanks to you!"

Wait...what?

"Stop saying such non-sense, Kris."

"Stop underestimating yourself, Sal. He asked me your number just now."

"Well thanks to my lasagna."

Kris sighed.

"Well, okay, it's up to you, but still," Kris warned me seriously, "we're still on this mission. To heal him. And trust me, this is a really good start. Get ready for the next mission, k?"

He ended the call without waiting for my answer.

***

Baekhyun laughed really hard that I had some serious difficulties while putting his eyelines on. It's M Countdown recording this time.

To make it short, Kris revealed everything. He told Baekhyun I cried because I thought I was the one who made him mad.

"No Sally, I wasn't mad at you! I...I'm sorry if I scared the hell out of you. That's just how I react to everything that is out of plan. Sorry."

"That's okay." I smiled, almost a fake one. Baekhyun is not really close to me. And the way he reacted to last week's incident was just...

"Can I talk to you again after you're done?" I felt a pat and a fluffy voice. I turned my head.

Zhang ing Yixing.

I swear, all kinds of butterflies should just be destroyed. Especially the ones in my belly.

My lips formed a smile without commands. "Uhm, yeah, sure."

"NO. OR WE'LL LEAVE YOU AGAIN." Baekhyun interrupted.

"That's okay. We can leave by cab, right Sally?" he kneeled right beside the chair where Baekhyun sat. And...

Our eyes accidentally met. Everything is just so...clear. His brownish eyes. His sharp nose. His lips. And of course...the dimple on his right cheek which shown itself every time he smiles.

I hope it'll always be there.

"Emm...yeah. But you guys have other schedules after this, right? So I think..."

"Are you sure you guys aren't dating?" Baekhyun cut my sentence.

What?

"What are you talking about? No. Why?" Yixing giggled.

I don't know anymore what to say.

"Just to make sure." Baekhyun smiled mischievously.

I sighed.

"We're free after this. So can we go to the balcony again?" Yixing asked again.

"Ehm, yeah, sure."

Now tell me what is oxygen.

***

When we arrived at the balcony, the evening sky greeted us again. We directly sat on a white lawn chair there.

"Your friend is so interrogative." I commented. We laughed.

"Maybe that's because I just broke up. He just want to make sure that I had moved on, but umm...maybe I had, but I believe moving on doesn't mean 'dating another girl'."

I stupefied.

It's...no, it's my fault. My wrong hopes. He's right. Moving on doesn't mean 'dating another girl', that statement is just perfect. I wished for too much; I wished that someday the healing mission is successful, and the mission bonuses are: 1. he confessed, 2. he kissed me on this balcony. But no. There's no such thing called 'the mission bonus' in real life.

My aim is just to complete this healing mission. Not more, not less.

But what's next? I believe he's fully recovered already. So that means my mission is over? That I already accomplished my aim?

"I believe you're gonna marry the evening sky someday." that one comment from him took me back on earth. Made me realized that I was thinking while looking at the evening sky just now.

"W..what?"

"Congratulations, you just met your true love!" he teased me. "You can't keep an eye off the sky. Your love to it is just...cute."

We laughed again, and I hit his shoulders with my fist, softly.

But I wanna marry you, not the evening sky.

Just then, we forgot time. We talked for hours. About me. About him. About Perry. About his grandparents. Just...about everything. And about that Nara girl, of course.

"Look!" he exclaimed. "The citylights!"

The evening sky had gone.

"Beautiful..."

He stood up and took my hand to the edge of the balcony. To look the amazing view closer, together.

After I counted, we stood there for almost an hour. In silence.

***

"I just realized that...there's no such thing called the 'healing mission' or whatever you called it. Even if there's one, well, I can say that the mission is over."

That night, after my second date with Zhang ing Yixing is over, I invited Kris to a midnight breakfast in a McD outlet nearby. I invited him mainly because of this healing mission case.

"What are you talking about?"

I breath deeply before starting to explain. "He...he said just now that he had moved on, but for him, 'moving on' doesn't mean 'moving to another girl'. I think it means that...enjoying his single life is also 'moving on'."

He slurped his diet coke (why did he even need a diet coke, I don't understand either. Maybe not gaining a gram at all is a part of idol's lifestyle) while listening to my words.

"So?"

Oh good, I like his reaction. A 'so' and that's all, which makes me wanna punch him on the face.

"DUDE!" I yelled. "SO THAT MEANS THERE'S NO SUCH THING CALLED 'THE HEALING MISSION'! THERE'S NO SUCH THINGS, MY BUSINESS WITH HIM IS DONE!"

Done yelling, I looked at his blank face. I carelessly picked a french fries and put it in my mouth, and tried to chew it one shot.

"Well, what if you are the one who made him keeps his single status?"

I gave him a flat stare. "Well, nice try. But it makes no ing sense."

Kris laughed while giving me an underestimating look. "Tell me, what do you know about guys? I'm one, so I know. Guys are sometimes like that. They're worrying too much about their dignity that sometimes, confessing to a girl is always number 2."

I rest my chin on my right hand.

"And do you think that knowing each other more and getting closer to him needs a 'mission'? I'm glad if you think that the mission is succesful, but hey, we still have another one."

I raised my eyebrows. "What's that 'another one'?"

"Making him confess to you, what do you think?"

Oh my.