Coda

Chemistry to Dorkdom

You know.

Yujin looked so peaceful sleeping there that Youngjae was almost reluctant to nudge her awake. Even her little snores were adorable. Sap, he could practically hear Hyosung snorting.

As soon as Youngjae touched her shoulder, Yujin shot up like an arrow. Her eyes darted around the room warily before relaxing again. She rubbed her eyes blearily. When her gaze fell on the plate of eggs Youngjae held out in front of her expectantly, Yujin let out an indignant protest.

“You didn’t have to make me breakfast! You could have woken me up before now,” she grumbled.

Youngjae jumped down on the couch beside Yujin, pressing their legs together. “You’ll find that I rarely have to do anything for you,” Youngjae said, and hoped it was enough.

Yujin bit her lip nervously. “Youngjae…”

Youngjae sighed, defeated before he even tried. He should have known Yujin wasn’t ready. “Let’s just- let’s just enjoy this. You don’t have to say anything. I’ll back off.”

Youngjae inched away slowly, but with a jerk of his arm, Yujin reached out to where Youngjae’s hand was wrapped around her knee. She laid her own hand down on top so that they fit together like puzzle pieces. Youngjae’s mouth fell open, and Yujin looked equally shocked. Her eyes fixed on where their hands joined, thoughtful.

“Are we dating?” Yujin said, her voice small. She looked fragile like this, like Youngjae could break her with one blow. When Youngjae didn’t answer immediately, Yujin shrank into herself and sprang back on the couch, gathering together his school supplies frantically. Youngjae felt the loss. “Sorry, sorry I shouldn’t have asked that- I don’t know what came over me, it’s just that Yongguk and everybody think we’re dating-“

She stumbled as she jumped up, heavy backpack throwing off her center of gravity. Maybe it was Yujin’s bad luck, maybe it was an act of fate, but either way, Yujin fell right into Youngjae’s lap.

Youngjae’s arms came up to bracket Yujin’s body, stopping Yujin’s fall before the girl fell against his chest. Yujin’s lips were an inch from his.

“Well, hello there, come here often?” Youngjae drawled.

Yujin blinked, “Dork.”

Youngjae would have come up with a better retort had the circumstances been in his favor, he swore. He’d always been intelligent enough, but as Yujin’s breath ghosted over his lips, Youngjae’s brain short-circuited. He could hardly cobble together the syllables of his own name, much less a witty comeback that would have Yujin falling head over heels in love with him.

“I know what you are, but what am I?” Youngjae said, and winced as his own words hit him. He kissed Yujin to cover up his embarrassment, just a peck on the lips he wasn’t sure he was even allowed to take. The momentary pressure was bliss, and Yujin whimpered as Youngjae drew back.

When Youngjae tried to turn away and hide his blush, Yujin stopped him.

Yujin held Youngjae’s face in her hands, fingers smoothing over the corners of his lips. A warmth coursed through Youngjae’s body and settled somewhere at the base of his spine. “I’m going to kiss you right now,” Yujin said matter-of-factly. “It’s for your own good. You’ll only embarrass yourself more if you try to talk. It’s only my duty to kiss the crap out of you.”

Youngjae leaned in before Yujin lost her courage.

And Yujin proceeded to fulfill her duty.

 

 


a/n: sorry, i actually thought this was a good idea…