My School Trip

The Lightning Thief

Look I didn't want to be a half-blood. If you're reading this because you think you might be one. My advice to you is, close this story. Believe whatever lie your mom/dad told you about your birth and try to live a normal life as long as you can.  If you're a normal kid, reading this because you think it's fiction, great. I envy you for not believing that non of this ever happened. Being a half-blood is dangerous. It's scary and most of the time, it gets you killed in many painful, nasty ways. But, if you recognize yourself in these chapters, if you feel something stirring inside. Stop reading immediately. And once you sense it, they'll come for you. Don't say I didn't warn you.

My name is Kim Joon Myun. But call me Suho instead. I'm 9 years old. Until, a few months ago, I was a student in SM academy, a private school in New York for troubled kids.

Am I a troubled kid? Yeah, you could say that. I could start at any point in my miserable life to prove it. But things started going bad in May. It all started when our 6th grade class took a field trip to a museum, with 28 mental case kids and 2 teachers on a school bus heading to the museum to look at Ancient Greek and Roman stuff.

I know it sounds like torture, most of the SM Academy trips were. But, Mr. Brunner, our Latin teacher, was leading this trip, so I had high hopes. Mr. Brunner was this middle-aged guy in a motorized wheelchair. He had thinning hair, a scruffy beard and a frayed tweed jacket, which always smelled like coffee. You wouldn't think he was cool, but he told stories, told jokes and let us play games in class. He also had an awesome collection of Roman armor and weapons, so he was the only teacher who didn't put me into sleep.

I  at least, hoped the trip would be ok and I wouldn't get in trouble for once. Boy, was I wrong.

See bad things happen to me on field trips. Like. In 5th grade, when we went to the Sartoga battlefield. I had this accident with a Revolutionary War cannon. I didnt mean to aim at the school bus, but I got expelled anyway. And before that, in 4th grade, we took a behind-the-scenes tour of the Marine World shark pool. I sort of hit one of the levers on the catwalk and our class took an unplanned swin with sharks who looked confused to why they were random humans swimming around them, screaming. And... well you get the idea. This trip, I was determined to be good.

All the way to the museum, I put up with Nancy Bobofit, a freckly, red headed kleptomaniac girl, who was now currently hitting my friend, Sunggyu in the back of his head with chunks of peanut butter and ketchup sandwhich.

Sunggyu was a bit of an easy target. He was sort of on the scrawny side. And to top that he was crippled. He had a note excusing him out of P.E. forever because he had a muscular disease in his legs. He walked like every step hurt him, but don't let that fool you. You should've seen him when it was enchilada day in the cafeteria.

Anyway, Nancy knew I was on probation and that meant I couldn't do anything to her. The headmaster threatened me with death by in school suspension if anything bad/embarrassing/mildly entertaining happened on this trip.

"I'm going to kill her," I muttered

Sunggyu tried to calm me down. "It's ok. I like peanut butter." He dodged another piece of Nancy's lunch. "Besides you're already on probation. You know you'll get blamed if anything happens."

When we got to the museum, it was actually a bit interesting. But the other kids kept on talking and every time I told them to shut up, Mrs. Dodds would give me the evil eye.

Mrs. Dodds was this math teacher from LA, who always wore a leather jacket, even though she was 50 years old. From the first day of school, she loved Nancy and thought I was the devil. She would point her finger at me and say "Now honey," then I knew I was about to get detention. One time, after he made me erase answers out of old math books until midnight, I told Sunggyu I didn't think she was human. Than he turned to me and said "You're absolutely right."

"Mr. Kim, can you tell us what this picture is?"

I felt relieved because I knew what it was. "That's Kronos eating his kids. Kronos was the king of the Titans and he didn't trust his kids, who were the gods. So Kronos ate them. But his wife hid Zues's and gave Kronos a rock to eat instead. When Zues's grew up, he tricked his dad into barfing up his brothers and sisters. So there was big fight between the gods and Titans, and the gods won."

Mr. Brunner nodded, "Well said. Zues did feed Kronos a mixture of mustard and wine, which made him barf his other brothers and sisters, who were immortal of course, had been living and growing up completly undigested in their father's stomach. The gods defeated him and scattered his remains to Tartarus, the darkest part in the Underworld. On that happy note, it's lunch now. Mrs. Dodds, could you lead us back outside?"