Faceoff

Target

"If you were my target, I would have killed you already." - Lee Sungjong


"Sungyeol was the one following Myungsoo," Woohyun breathed, watching Sungyeol disappear as he exited to the terrace.

"We need to get out there. Now," Sunggyu instructed. "Or else this is going to end in bloodshed."

"It's going to end in bloodshed anyway," Woohyun shook his head bitterly but followed Sunggyu as they crept out into the corridor.

Sunggyu inched forward, clinging to the shadows of the wall until he had nowhere to go but out into the open. He turned back, motioning for Woohyun to stay put.

"If you're Sungjong's target, you need to stay here. At this point, if you serve as bait, you might get shot."

Woohyun nodded his consent. "I'll cover you." He positioned himself behind a potted plant and settled in to wait.

Sunggyu took a deep breath and closed in on the doors to the terrace, gun poised. He could hear yelling from within, proof that the situation was escalating. Suddenly, a shot was fired, the doors burst open, and Sungjong shot out of the terrace as though he were on fire. Sunggyu ducked away, praying that Woohyun was well concealed. The youngest member of the team vanished in mere seconds, and there was a crashing sound as someone behind the doors made a sudden move.

"Yah, yah!" Howon called. "Stay where you are."

"I need to find Sungjong," Sungyeol protested.

"You're not going anywhere," Myungsoo said, his voice dangerously cold, "until you explain to me why you put the bug in my shoe."

"Why do you think it was me?"

"Before you came bursting in here, Sungjong said he had one in his shoe too. It has to be you."

Sunggyu took the others' conversation as an opportunity to slip through the doors, remaining unnoticed at the back of the terrace that looked out over the floor below. Myungsoo was blocking Sungyeol from leaving, and Howon stood to the side. Every gun was drawn. Sunggyu quieted his breathing, wanting to close his eyes to focus but knowing how foolish that would be.

"So tell me," Myungsoo said, "why are your tracking devices in our shoes? Are you the Chameleon?"

"What?" Sungyeol's jaw dropped. "No! I swear. I'm just trying to complete my assignment."

"Am I also your assignment, then?"

Although Myungsoo's back was to him, Sunggyu could picture his face from his tone. He knew that Myungsoo's eyes would be burning, his mouth faintly curved.

"Myungsoo-yah." Sungyeol's face fell. "I wanted to be able to protect you in case the Chameleon came after you. I had to know where you were."

"What?" Howon laughed sharply. "You expect us to believe that?"

Sungyeol's eyes widened, and he shook his head frantically. "No, you have to believe me! I...I saw something."

"You saw something," Howon said flatly. "Really."

"The day we reviewed counter-device measures." Sungyeol took a shaky breath. "I was practicing, and I found a listening device between my desk and Myungsoo's desk. I thought he might be in trouble."

Sunggyu felt goosebumps prickling across his skin, and the others' words grew faint as he processed this new piece of information.

"Alright," Myungsoo said finally, nodding to Howon and lowering his gun. "I believe you. You should know that Dongwoo is looking for you."

Sungyeol frowned. "You mean I'm on the suspect list?"

"It seems that way." Howon lowered his gun as well and stepped toward them. "I'll help you find Sungjong. He seemed a little too nervous. I think he's hiding something."

Sunggyu, meanwhile, was thinking back to the counter-device measures. That week, he had asked Myungsoo to investigate a lead he had on the Chameleon and report it via phone conference to the other department heads. Whoever had placed the bug by his desk must have been trying to listen in. The Chameleon had been onto Myungsoo. And Myungsoo was on the list. Unfortunately, so was everyone else.

"Then..." Sungyeol looked at Myungsoo and Howon suspiciously. "Why are the two of you together?"

"Myungsoo is my target," Howon said, "but even in an emergency situation, that's ridiculous. It doesn't make sense."

"I think it's making me crazy," Myungsoo said in a barely audible voice.

Sunggyu closed his eyes briefly. His team needed him, but in order for him to get to the bottom of things, he needed them.

Sunggyu stepped out of the shadows, hands raised, and immediately found three guns pointed at him, accompanied by three bewildered, suspicious faces.

"What are you doing here?" Sungyeol demanded.

"That's what I'm hoping to figure out," Sunggyu said slowly. "But I need your help."