Disturbance

Target

"I'm going to explode. I'm going to kill everyone. My target is not just one person; it's everyone." - Lee Howon

 


Sunggyu and Woohyun had barely made it to the next landing before they heard gunshots. They turned to each other so quickly that they nearly collided, and Sunggyu held out a hand to indicate that they should stay where they were. He tilted his head, listening attentively. These were not the one or two gunshots that marked the careful elimination of a target. This was a full-on battle, a spray of fire. Whoever was firing was not assassinating but demolishing.

"What the hell is that?" Woohyun whispered, wide-eyed. "Do you think it's the Chameleon?"

Sunggyu paused. "Considering the circumstances, I think it's possible. Who else would need to shoot that many bullets?"

Woohyun inched toward the door to the corridor. "If it's him, I'm going to catch him. I'm going to make him pay for screwing things up this badly." He cracked his knuckles and raised his gun.

"Woohyun-ah, don't do anything rash. We need to take this one step at a time."

Woohyun whirled around angrily, and Sunggyu nearly took a step back. "Hyung, don't you want to take him out now? After all he's done? After what's happened to our team?"

"Of course I do," Sunggyu hissed. "But we need to outsmart him. We can't just storm in there and shoot him. He's outsmarted our entire agency for months. We need answers. And we still need to figure out what's going on with the suspect list."

"Fine," Woohyun huffed. "Then let's start by finding out who he is."

Woohyun slid closer to the glass window of the door, and Sunggyu followed, letting the former take the first look.

Sunggyu watched as Woohyun's shoulders went rigid.

"Hyung, you're not going to believe this," Woohyun breathed.

"What?" Sunggyu tried unsuccessfully to peer around Woohyun. "Hey, come on. Come on! Let me see."

Woohyun slowly stepped away from the window, visibly shaken. Sunggyu took his place and scanned the hall upon which bullets continued to rain down.

"It's..."

Sunggyu's heart dropped. There were two people shooting up the corridor. An unlikely pair, both form his team.

"It's Myungsoo and Howon."

Sunggyu re-assessed the situation. Could there be two Chameleons? Could Kim Myungsoo and Lee Howon be the culprits? There had only ben evidence of one perpetrator, and Sunggyu found it hard to believe that either of them were to blame. Then again, he had never expected to see either one of them put bulletholes through the entire building.

"Lee Sungjong!" Myungsoo yelled, walking toward one of the pillars in the hall. "Come out! I know you're trying to kill me, so why don't you face me like a man?"

Woohyun's eyebrows drew together. "I thought I was Sungjong's target."

"Sungjong-ah, it's over!" Howon echoed, following Myungsoo. "Give yourself up and tell us why the hell we're both suspects."

"," Sunggyu cursed unexpectedly, and Woohyun looked at him in surprise.

"What?" Woohyun asked from beneath his frown.

"They're both on the list too. This doesn't make sense." He scanned the view outside the door again. "We know that Sungjong's target is within our department, and he was nervous when he met us. I'm your target, so it can't be me. The only other reason he could be nervous is..."

"You think he's the Chameleon?" Woohyun cocked his gun.

"I don't want to jump to that conclusion, but if you're his target, then why does Myungsoo think that he's Sungjong's target?"

"Couldn't they possibly both be true?" Woohyun asked. "Think of all the times he's done things his own way, the times he argued with you and me. We had an argument just last week after work. It's no coincidence that I'm his target. I don't know about Myungsoo, but..." 

"I found the tracker you put in my shoe!" Myungsoo cried at that moment. "You should have followed me from further away."

Howon inched around the pillar, and Sungjong moved accordingly, inching away until he blanched at the sight of Myungsoo.

"I told you, I was just passing by! Let me go!" He protested with a look of distress. Myungsoo reached for him, and Sungjong ran further away, bursting through the double doors and onto the terrace, out of the sight of Sunggyu and Woohyun. Myungsoo and Howon sped after him.

"That's it," Sunggyu said. "That's all I need to hear. Sungjong isn't trying to kill Myungsoo. Last week, we had an exercise with bugging, and he hated it."

Woohyun nodded in agreement. "I remember. He was complaining the whole time. It was actually Sungyeol who picked it up quickly-"

Sunggyu and Woohyun looked at each other instantly, and when they glanced back out the window, they could detect a tall figure running in the direction of the terrace.

Sungyeol.