Watching Stars

A Collection of One-Shots Volume III
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 


Bae Suji watched as many men and woman in their best suits pounced around dancing. She sat with her parents and their friends they were talking about the usual money. She had tuned them out occasionally dropping in when her name was mentioned. Her parents bragged about what a good girl she was and how she was learning to become the best wife. Her mother pinched her under the table that was a sign that she was slouching. Suji sat up straight and smoothed out her dress, she smiled politely and continued observing the people. 

That's when Suji heard the dreaded word, marriage. She doesn't want a love that's arranged and would come with time. Suji also didn't want a love were she was promised the stars and the moon. All she wanted was a steady hand and a kind soul, to fall in love and be loved. She wanted simple. But her parents had a different idea for her. From a distance she watched a group of waiters laughing at the people in the ballroom. She wished to be as free as them. 

"If you can excuse me." she said. Suji walked out in need of air. 

-

Kim Wonsik placed the last tray down and finally sat down on the table. His brother asked him to help him waiter since they were short on staff, he needed the money so he agreed. The place was crowded with stuck up people their equally stuck up offsprings, he was getting a headache from all the noise. 

"Yo Ravi, come here." his brother called him. WonSik wasn't to fond of being called by his real name. He got up and grabbed one the hors d'oeuvres, he quickly spit it out not liking the taste of such fancy food. He walked towards his brother and his friends as they watched the people dance. Ravi looked around only to see a different world that was to high for him to reach but not impossible.

"I wonder who's the poorest out the whole bunch?" his brother asked. 

"There most definitely is one." his friend said. Ravi ignored them and kept watching the people. 

That's when he spotted a girl going out, she was wearing a white dress and her hair was in waves. She looked like a fallen angel that was sent to look after such condemned people. He followed her with his eyes as she politely bowed to people excusing her self outside. All of a sudden he needed a smoke. 

"I'll be back." he said to no one particular. 

-

Suji let out a frustrated sigh and started muttering incoherent words under her breath. She sat on the fountain playing with the water, Suji could here the music and the joyous laughter of the people. The sun was going to set and the lights had been . There wasn't many people outside some couples walking being cuddly and a few smokers here and there. 

"Mind if sit here with you." Suji looked up to see a man in a white dress up shirt, black slacks and with messy hair.

"Go ahead." Suji scooted over leaving a fair amount of distance between her and the stranger. 

"Kim Wonsik but everyone calls me Ravi." he extended his hand for her. Suji looked at him, people normally didn't approach her so openly. 

"Bae Suji." she shook his hand. 

"Well Suji-ah, why aren't you inside dancing?" he took out a pack of cigarettes. "Do you mind." she shock her head no. Then he offered her some. 

"No thank you. To answer your question no one has asked me to dance." she looked shy smoothing out her dress. Suji watched as the smoke came out from his mouth and into the air. 

"Well come on." Ravi threw his cigarette to the ground squashing it and once again extended his hand to her. Suji hesitated knowing that her parents were most likely watching her but she didn't care she took it. 

-

She waited for her parents to fall asleep. She looked at her watch it was barely going to be nine and she told him she would meet him at nine fifteen. She horridly grabbed her shoes and purse and made her way downstairs. This was her first time sneaking out and to add on top of that with a person whom she met at a party several days ago. Wonsik was a breathe of fresh air in her mundane life while she danced with him they talked about his hobbies and he asked her about his. She walked out the door putting her shoes on. 

Suji found him waiting for her at the corner of her street sitting on the curb. She was expecting him to have a motorcycle and an overall bad boy look but she was wrong. He was dressed in regular jeans and a knitted cardigan, Suji found him dashing.

"Hey." she said. 

"Suji-ah, I thought you got caught." Ravi got up and dusted himself. "Where do you wanna go?" 

"Umm... well I wouldn't know... I don't know...." she hated that she didn't get out much. 

"How about we got to the night market and eat at the stands." Ravi suggested. 

"Alright." 

-

They sat on a bench looking out to the Han river. They had gone to the market and tried every food and went into the small shops. It was a first for Suji. Ravi found it amusing that a girl her age hasn't experienced much. 

"You're telling me that you never go out at night?" 

"My parents are strict." Suji said.

"More like you are to nourished, are you an only child?"

"Yes, it's not always that bad I mean we go on trips and other stuff." Suji felt the need to defend her parents. "What about you any siblings?" 

"I have a brother." 

"I always wanted to have a sibling." Suji sighed. The sky was calm and the stars were shining brightly even with city lights. They sat talking about one other. Suji found out that he was studying to be a doctor and that he worked part time at a coffee shop. Suji told

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter