Stranger

[HIATUS] Punch Drunk Love

1. Stranger

 

Minho let his gaze wander around the room. The couch had been replaced and he couldn’t remember the carpet either. He put his bag on the floor and started to dedicate his attention to the pictures on the walls, which he’d always used to ignore. Now that he had the time to actually take a closer look, he indeed did notice a small kid on some of them who looked suspiciously similar to Taemin. His  hair had still been black and a couple of inches shorter and he had had a bowl cut like most kids, which had made him somehow resemble a mushroom on certain photos.

 

"This cut should get banned, don’t you think?"

 

When exactly Taemin had appeared next to him or how long he’d already been standing there, Minho did not know. "Yes, but that probably won’t be very successful, unfortunately this style is way too popular with all the ahjummas to die out. During my childhood years I actually had the exact same cut.“

Slightly amused, he turned to Taemin. "Probably still when I was your age. How old are you anyway? 13, or maybe 14?“

 

"I’m 16!“ he said and indignantly scrunched up his nose. In his opinion he didn’t look anything like 13 or 14.

"Is there a chance that you’re in dire need of glasses?“ Shaking his head he approached the couch, plumped down on it and pulled his legs to his chest. On the small coffee table in front of him he’d put two glasses, Coke, orange juice and a bottle of soda, which probably had stopped sparkling some time ago. But Taemin honestly didn’t bother, if he got mistaken for a kid, Minho could just as well drink some still mineral water.

 

"Actually my eyes are quite good,“ Minho chuckled and sat down next to the younger. As opposed to Taemin though, he’d kept his feet on the ground and just leaned back against the backrest, releasing a little sigh. His back ached from sitting in front of his computer all day and the soft backrest did only little to support his posture.

"But I’m really sorry for guessing your age wrong. I’m sure it was only because of the lighting.“

 

Taemin listened to the other’s poor excuse and raised a skeptical eyebrow at him, but eventually just shrugged it off. "It’s okay, I guess the Spongebob socks don’t make me look very mature, do they?“ With a small smile on his lips he took his guest’s glass and filled it with some orange juice before putting it back on the table.

"By the way, I think I’ve seen you before. A few weeks ago Taesun dumped a box with photo albums at my mom’s and I think you might have been in some of them." Thinking deeply, Taemin tapped with his index finger against his glass. "Although your hair was longer. Like a lot longer.“

 

"Well, the army does leave its marks.“ Minho smiled and took a sip from his juice. Of course he would have preferred beer, but he was positive that Taesun won’t keep alcohol in his apartment when his underaged brother was around. "I had to cut it all off before entering the military. At first I kinda missed it, but now I like short hair better, it’s just easier to manage. Besides it’s really nice to actually be able to see something, you know?“ Minho said and casted Taemin a meaningful look.

The boy’s bangs resembled a curtain and the cut in combination with the honey blond color made him somehow look like a marshmallow on two legs.

 

"I can see enough, but thanks for the advice,“ Taemin dismissed it. It was nothing he hadn’t already heard before. "So you were around and thought you should stop by?“ Taemin asked curiously and scooted a little closer to the older male.

He couldn’t deny that his brother’s friend was a rather interesting fella. He was tall and had short chestnut brown hair which he had styled nicely with the help of some hair gel. He wore a simple pale blue shirt with its sleeves rolled all the way up to his elbows and beneath that a plain white wifebeater as well as a pair of tight-fitting washed out jeans. Basically he and Taesun didn't dress that differently, Taemin thought.

 

"Yeah, it was pretty much like that,“ Minho confirmed the younger's question. "Today I worked overtime and then I somehow ended up here.“

 

"Where do you work? Did you study the same as my brother? How did you and Taesun meet anyway?“ His initial reserve began to gradually decline and the questions burst out of him. It might not have been very polite to pelt his guest – or rather his brother’s guest – with questions like that, but Taemin figured that Minho would just have to endure it. Besides he didn’t really seem to dislike being questioned like that. He rather seemed amused.

 

"I’m working for SEEN Sports Magazine. They got a branch office here in Seoul and a few years ago I’ve been lucky enough to acquire a job there,“ Minho his slightly chapped lips before he continued "After I graduated from university, I went job-hunting and since I’m quite good at English – as opposed to my competitors – I got hired. This should answer or question whether Taesun and I had the same major.“

Back then Taesun had studied to become an English teacher and since they had used to share a dorm room, Taesun's major had proved to be benficial to Minho. He often had to help Taesun study, since he was the kind of guy who always needed a study buddy. It had been annoying at times, but Minho had to admit that it had helped him improve his English greatly.

"I studied journalism and sports sience. Which was another advantage, considering that the majority of the others had studied only journalism.“ While talking he crossed his legs and put his arms up on the backrest. The silent clunk that followed thereupon made it quite clear that his spine didn’t appreciate moves like this at the moment.

 

"Wow,“ Taemin said and puffed out his cheeks. He did have great respect for people who were able to manage two majors at a time, but the subjects Minho had studied sounded kind of...boring? "I guess something like that wouldn't be my thing at all. Of course I want to be good at English and Taesun always teaches me some extra stuff, so that the exams at school are easier for me, but apart from that...,“ The younger explained and shrugged his shoulders. How should he tell Minho that he thought his majors to be utterly boring without offending him?

 

"It’s okay, I can imagine that you’re not yet interested in things like that,“ Minho chuckled, dismissing it with a wave of his hand. At Taemin’s age he hadn’t known either what he would once like to study or which profession he wanted to take up. He’d made his choice quite literally overnight, but up to this day he had not even once regretted his decision. "When I was your age I was just like you, but I think you simply change over time.“

 

"But I’d like to stay the way I am right now.“ Taemin emptied his glass with two big gulps and afterwards wiped his mouth with the back of his hand. "I can’t imagine to one day being chained to a desk in an office and spend my whole day in front of a computer.“ Shaking his head, Taemin gestured wildly, trying to make sure Minho got how serious he was. "I love dancing. Mom told me that I danced even before I was able to walk. That’s why I want to study dance and then I don’t know, whatever works.“

 

Minho quietly listened to Taemin’s words, but couldn’t suppress a silent chuckle every now and then. Taemin reminded him (to a certain extent) of himself when he had been a teenager. Back then he’d still been the proud member of his highschool’s soccer team and had often told his parents how he would make a carreer as a pro one day. One nasty foul later though, his dream had gotten shattered to pieces, a severe injury making it impossible to pursue his goal and leaving him devastated. It had taken some time until he’d been able to move on and find joy in something else.

"I really hope you’ll be able to fulfill your dream, Taemin. Just take good care of your body and train hard – but not too hard, alright?“ Minho reached out his hand in order to gently toussle the other’s hair. "It’s never good to overdo something, you know?“

 

"My brother always tells me the same,“ Taemin responded chirpily and brushed a strand of hair out of his face. The fact that his brother also liked to ruffle his hair was something that he decided to better keep to himself for now. "And I answer each time, that–“

Taemin paused, as soon as he heard a key being turned in the door’s keyhole as well as the following sound of an opening door. A silent groan followed thereupon and the door fell closed again.

 

"Taeminnie, I’m back. Sorry for taking so long. There were so many people that I had to stand in line for at least half an hour! And the guy at the video rental store was so incredibly slow! How hard can it be to ring up a bunch of DVDs?“ Taesun’s grouching put an amused grin on Taemin’s lips and Minho started slightly chuckling as well. "Huh? Whom do those shoes belong to? Taemin?!“

Towards the end Taesun’s voice had changed from sounding annoyed to sounding alarmed. He abruptly dropped the take out food and the lent DVDs and rushed through the hallway. "Taemin, say something! Where– Oh!“

 

Upon entering the living room, it took him a moment to register the situation. He really hadn’t expected to find his baby brother sitting on the couch together with his old college friend Minho.  

 

--

 

After a tight hug and some friendly back slapping, Taesun had overcome his surprise to suddenly having found Minho in his apartment and had ordered his brother to get the food and unwrap it. He himself obviously couldn’t do that now, since he had to chat with his friend and catch up on each other’s lives. Said friend had amusedly observed everything and without Taesun knowing had started eyeing the other male in front of him.

Since the last time he'd seen him, Taesun had changed only minimally. His hair was still jet-black, albeit it had gotten a bit longer and was now reaching his eyes. Apart from that he still had the same lanky physique like when he was a young adult, but in Minho's humble opinion he really could need some more meat on his bones.

 

Taemin hadn't been very amused when his brother had sent him away, but still he didn't dare to protest. Had they been alone, he definitely would have said something, but with Minho being here he didn't want to show his prickly side.

 

"By the way, Taemin is a really nice kid. Very lively and quite curious," Minho commented after Taemin had left the room. "Why did you never tell me that you have a little brother? When we met he surely must have already been born."

 

"Well, I guess the opportunity just never arose," Taesun replied and shrugged. He made sure to lower his voice, before continuing to talk, "To be honest until two, three years ago we hadn't gotten along that well, that's why I never mentioned him. He used to really get on my nerves; he constantly followed me around and always wanted me to play with him, but...you know, I had other interests."

While talking, Minho could clearly hear the remorse in Taesun's voice. He certainly wasn't proud about how he had treated his brother over the years. "When he got older though, it got a lot better and one day I thought: Hey, actually this nuisance of a brother isn't all that bad. And since then he's visiting more often. My mom, though is not so enthusiastic about it, since I allow him to stay up longer and only give him junk food to eat, but hey, what's wrong with having a little fun, right?"

 

"Nothing," Minho smiled, while confirming Taesun's words.

 

"That's the way I see it as well." Taesun nodded and grinned, "Besides, my mother already got to boss me around during my school time, but Taemin should be able to enjoy his teenage years at least a bit, they'll be over much too soon anyway and before you know it–"

 

"–and before you know it I'll be sitting on the couch, too, whining about how incredibly old I've grown," Taemin finished his brother's sentence after he had reentered the living room. He was carrying a big tray on which he had put all the food Taesun had brought earlier. Not only did he bring Chinese stir-fried noodles and hamburgers accompanied by fries, but some pizza as well. If he had to provide food for a good old movie night, then he'd get plenty.

 

"Don't be so cheeky, Taemin," Taesun said with a grin, grabbed the younger and gave him a playful rap on the head. "Minho just said that you were very nice and polite, but if you want me to believe that you've got some good sides as well, then you better behave yourself!"

 

"Gnaaa~h, Taesun, stop iiiit!" Taemin whined and tried to wiggle out of his brother's grasp. "Aaah! Ooouch! OOOUCH!!"

 

"Pff, as if this would really hurt." Taesun let go of Taemin and laughed as his brother thereupon sought refuge at Minho's side and hid behind the older male. "Little sissy."

Of course he didn't mean that in a bad or condescending way. It was perfectly normal for them to call each other such names and Taemin knew very well that his brother didn't mean any harm when he called him things like that.

"Well, we should get to eating before the food turns cold and even more yukky." As if to emphasize his words, he reached for a slice of pizza which already had left a nice greasy film on the plate. He took a bite with great relish and once again looked at Minho, "Just dig in, there's more than enough. And hey, do you want a beer? I'm gonna get one."

 

"Yes please." Minho smiled, glimpsed at all the food offered to him and quickly decided on the noodles. Back home his left-overs were still waiting for him, but they surely weren't even half as good as the greasy noodles Taesun had brought. That means not only had his subconsciousness gotten him to meet his old friend again, as well as getting to know his little brother, but also had it saved him from a potential food poisoning.

"Thanks." Minho gladly accepted the bottle which had just been handed to him and took a big gulp. "I really thought you won't keep any alcohol around. Because of the kid–"

 

"The kid is here, you know?" Taemin nagged, but didn't cast a look at the two older men. He was much too engaged in stuffing his face with his hamburger and a bunch of fries. Taesun never minded when he tucked in, so there was no reason to hold back.

 

"And besides the kid sometimes gets to drink some alcohol as well," Taesun added and smiled due to Minho's slightly shocked look. "I promise it's not that bad. I just rather have him drinking here with me, instead of sneaking into the next club and getting wasted there."

 

"Hm." Minho nodded understandingly while thinking it over once again. He himself didn't have a little brother, but an older one and if he remembered correctly he too had been allowed to drink some alcoholic beverages from time to time. Of course it had happened without the knowledge of their parents, but that goes without saying. "But let's talk about something else, what are you up to right now? Are you finally working as a teacher?"

 

"More or less," Taesun replied with his mouth full and thereby granted Minho a view he could have gladly lived without, "at the moment I've got many small side jobs. I do some private tutoring in English, deliver newspapers and so on. Speaking of newspapers, I recently read one of your articles. You're still working for that magazine, right?"

While talking he had scooted closer to Minho and had narrowed his eyes. People who knew Taesun knew that he would always behave like this if he was about to ask for a favor. Minho couldn't imagine what said favor might possibly be about, so he decided to just wait and see.

 

"Yes, I am."

 

"Perfect." Taesun hastily wiped some cheese and tomato sauce off his mouth. "If that's the case you surely can get Taemin an internship there, right? He could later really benefit from this and besides he's already been lazy last summer. It's time for him to get to know what real life is like." While talking he darted a warning glance at his brother. A glance that clearly said 'We already talked about this and now we're going through with it'.

"Do you think you could help him somehow? Even if it were just something trivial like sorting papers or making coffee, that would do as well."

 

To say that Minho had been surprised by this request would have been quite the understatement. Of course he'd already had expected some kind of favor, since Taesun's body language had been rather obvious, but something like that? Moreover they really hadn't seen each other for a long time and had only very sporadically been in touch.

"Hm." Minho placed his take-out noodle box back on the tray and pensively scratched his chin, "The chief editor and I are good friends. If I talk to him I might be able to employ Taemin as my personal assistant. During the summertime there's usually a bit more work anyway, so a little help wouldn't be bad."

 

"So that's a yes?!"

 

"That's a 'I'll go talk to him and see what I can do'." Minho raised his hands appeasingly, trying to diminish the other's excitement a bit. Just because he said he would talk to his boss, didn't mean that they already had reason to celebrate. Taemin would certainly have to do a little job interview as well.

 

"Better than nothing." Grinning broadly, Taesun slapped Minho's shoulder and raised his beer bottle, toasting the other. "Thanks man, I owe you one."

He contently continued emptying his beer and afterwards put the bottle back on the table. "After we have finished eating, Taemin will give you his number so that you can call him as soon as there are any news. Right? Taemin?"

 

"Yes." Taemin raised his eyes from his fingers which he had just now clean, looking everything but enthusiastic. The prospect of having to work during his summer vacation didn't really put him in a happy mood. At least he would be able to spend more time with his brother's handsome friend, but that was just a small crumb of comfort. After all he could just as well be basking in the sun or go swimming in his friend's pool. "I'm sure it will be...interesting."

 

"Isn't interesting ty's little sister?" Minho chuckled and raised an eyebrow as Taemin sheepishly averted his gaze, having found a sudden interest in his orange juice. "Don't worry, Taemin, I'll make sure that you won't get too bored. We'll definitely have a good time."

 

Taemin couldn't (and didn't) believe Minho's words yet, but he still didn't have the heart to object, so he just settled for a slow nod instead. He figured that he probably could have hit it much worse.

 


 

A/N: It is absolutely embarrassing how long it took me to finish this chapter OTL I'm really sorry, I don't even have a good excuse...or any excuse at all

Anyway, so it looks like Taemin is going to be Minho's cute little assistant during summer. Well, we will see how that goes. But I promise you that they'll have some fun together. ㅋㅋㅋ

 

Please comment and subscribe! <3