Prologue

[HIATUS] Punch Drunk Love

Prologue

Thinking back he couldn’t really tell what had got him to use a different line than usual. Nor did he know why he had got off after just two stations and had changed the line once again. In his thoughts he’d already been at home; together with some leftover food, which he would have taken out of the fridge, would have smelled at it – just to be on the safe side – and would eventually have shoved it into the microwave anyway. Perhaps he would even have opened a bottle of wine, taken a good book and would simply have enjoyed his well-deserved time off.

 

But instead he was now in Yaksu. Countless people passed him by and some of them even bumped into him, continuing their way nevertheless. But to be honest, Minho didn’t really mind. If you’re living in Seoul you kind of get used to the frantic lifestyle and to occasionally have someone jostling against you.

 

After a mere two minutes - which had rather felt like an hour – Minho started moving again, exited the subway station and continued heading towards the Dongguk University. Some students scurried past him, obviously being in a rush. Which was honestly no wonder, considering that they probably had some lectures or extracurricular activities to attend to. Minho on the other hand though still wasn’t sure where his feet were taking him.

 

Only when the well-known university building came into sight did he start to relax a bit. He really didn’t envy all those students who had to spend their precious time in an auditorium, the library or in their class rooms, pulling all-nighters. After all he’d been in their position just a few years ago.

A small smile tugged at the corners of his mouth while remembering those good old times. It had been stressful and Minho often had had to go without the proper amount of sleep in order to finish all his assignments on time. But then again it had also been a time where he’d made some valuable friends, who had made his everyday college life considerably more bearable.

 

Minho then turned around, put one hand on his messenger bag and started moving again. By leading him there his subconsciousness had obviously tried to tell him that is was again time to spend an evening in good company. And the person who should preferably keep him company tonight, was Lee Taesun.

He and Taesun had been friends for a long time, even before entering university. By now they’ve known each other for 13 years and Minho could say that Taesun was his best friend. Although because of Minho’s time in the army and Taesun having been busy as well (maybe with work, or perhaps with women – he’d always been a playboy), they lately had kind of lost contact with each other.

 

After he’d reached the apartment block, he’d made a beeline for the third floor, using the staircase instead of the elevator. Maybe he should have checked if his friend was still living in this flat, but the thought hadn’t crossed his mind when he rang the doorbell and took a step back.

It took a moment but then he could hear some faint rustling behind the door. Someone was probably looking through the fisheye, which was admittedly strange for Taesun, but Minho guessed you’ll just get more cautious with age.

 

The door finally opened, but only so far as the chain joint would allow it to and a boy, a teenager, how Minho noticed somewhat surprised, came into view. He had blond hair, dark eyes and looked strangely familiar. Not because he thought he’d already met the boy, but more because he seemed to closely resemble someone.

 

“Hello.“ The boy was the first to break the silence. “Can I help you, Sir?“

 

“Uhm...no, probably not.“ Minho sheepishly started scratching the back of his head and took a moment to think about what to say. “I’m here because I wanted to visit a friend, but obviously he’s not living here anymore.“

 

“Are you looking for Taesun?“ The boy’s face brightened considerably. Until now he’d sceptically ogled the stranger and he would have been ready to slam and lock the door at any given moment. After all it was already late at night and he was alone in the apartment, so a moderate amount of cautiosness was definitely advisable.

 

“Yes, I was around.“ Actually that wasn’t the whole truth, but who cares? “So I thought I’d stop by. How do you know him?“

For one brief moment Minho came an uncomfortable thought. Taesun might have been his age, i.e. 28, but his love to experiment certainly hadn’t changed...could it be possible that this boy was something like his current lover?

 

“I’m Taemin, Lee Taemin. Taesun is my older brother.“ A silent click followed, which indicated that the chain joint had been unlocked and mere moments later the door was opened completely.

The boy, Taemin, was a couple inches smaller than Minho, which wasn’t all that surprising, considering that he was also quite a bit younger. He wore a black, washed-out Michael Jackson t-shirt, dark grey sweatpants and a pair of socks with Spongebob on them.

“He left about ten minutes ago to get some food and rent a movie. I think he should be back within the next half an hour or so. He probably won’t be that delighted though, because,“ towards the end Taemin had spoken faster, almost as if he had suddenly got nervous “Actually I’m not supposed to let anyone in whom I don’t know. But since you’re a friend I guess it’ll be okay.“

 

“I’m sorry, I don’t want to obtrude myself upon you, since you both obviously already have plans for tonight.“

 

“No biggie,“ Taemin took a step aside and gestured Minho to come in “Taesun will surely be happy about your visit and I for one always wanted to meet one of his college friends.“

 

Minho hesitated at first. It certainly would have been better to just go and head back home, but Taemin stared at him with those big eyes of his and Minho just didn’t have the heart to say no.

“Okay,“ he finally gave in and stepped into the room. At least the entrance hall hadn’t changed since his last visit. It was still too tiny and on the walls hung the same pictures, which Minho already back then hadn’t paid attention to. Slowly he took off his shoes and exchanged them for the guest slippers Taemin had tossed him before he had made his way towards the kitchen.

 

“I’ll go get you something to drink, Sir,“ Taemin explained with a polite smile on his lips and at the same time pointed to the living room “Please take a seat on the couch. I’ll be right with you.“

 

“Thanks,“ Minho smiled slightly surprised. “But Taemin? I’m sorry, I didn’t get to introduce myself yet. My Name is Choi Minho and you really don’t have to use ’Sir’ around me. I’m feeling old enough as it is, so Minho is just fine.“

On his way to the living room he had gently patted the younger’s shoulder and had given him a friendly smile. Since he’d already turned his back, Minho didn’t notice the faint blush that was starting to creep onto Taemin’s cheeks anymore.

 


 

A/N: I more or less sneakily shoved this idea onto my dear friend skeyttles and because she’s one of the most awesome human beings on this planet, she’s writing it for me. >w< I’ll forever be in your debt! However, since the German-speaking part of our fandom is extremely small the fic didn’t quite get the recognition it deserves. That’s why I’m currently working on translating it into English.

Also, Taemin is 16 in this fanfiction. C:

 

Please enjoy and comment~