Chapter 4

Serenity Society

Chapter 4: Warrant

 

Im Yoona had never hesitated in her whole life. Not even once. She always did things with a lot of confidence, not caring about the risk she was taking and the consequences of it. She was always the impulsive one. She was always the one who did things recklessly. Hesitation had never been a part of her.

But lately, she seemed to be hesitating a lot. Like right now. She did not know whether she should just knock on Krystal's door or she should just walk away. But if she were to walk away, she would have made a wasted trip. Yoona never liked to waste her time. Time was a precious thing. Time would never wait for anyone. Even if someone died, time would still pass. Even if someone was crying, time would never stop.

After the little meeting Serenity Society had, everyone decided to go home. Jinri was the first to walk out of the door which was not that surprising, considering the news that she had just heard earlier. Next to leave was Sehun. Even though Sehun had stated that he was going home, Yoona knew that he was chasing after Jinri, most probably to comfort her. Well, if she did not know better, she would have thought that Sehun had a crush on his dead best friend's girlfriend but since a few weeks ago Sehun had made it clear that he treated the girls in this society as siblings, Yoona shrugged it off.

Krystal had left after Sehun, leaving Luhan and Yoona alone. The two of them had decided to find out more about Jongin's death, much to Yoona's satisfaction. That was exactly what she had desired for and to have Luhan agree with her, she was absolutely sure that the others would soon join in the investigation. Im Yoona could not wait to avenge Jongin's death. It was something that was burning inside her heart. It was a desire that she badly wanted to fulfill.

That was why Yoona went to Krystal's house immediately after leaving Luhan's house. She wanted to find out more about Krystal's whereabouts that night. Taking in a deep breath, the young woman rang the doorbell to Krystal's apartment. She waited patiently as the bell echoed throughout the apartment.

A few minutes later, the door swung open and Krystal appeared. She was wearing a pair of shorts and T-shirt. Her hair was tied into a ponytail and she looked exhausted. "Aren't you supposed to be mad at me just like the others for having an affair with Jongin before his death?" the younger woman asked cynically. Her eyes were hard and defensive.

"Ha-ha, very funny," Yoona replied humourlessly. She rolled her eyes before saying, "Aren't you going to invite your guest in?"

Krystal let out a small sigh before unlocking the gate. She opened the gate and opened the door wider. "Come in, unnie," she invited.

Yoona entered the apartment and Krystal closed the gate and door. She went to the kitchen to serve the older woman a glass of water as Yoona sat on the sofa in the living room. Yoona observed the house carefully. There was nothing suspicious in it. It was just as normal as other people's house. Krystal came back with a glass of orange juice in her hands. She placed the glass on the table in front of Yoona. "So why are you here?" she asked as she sat next to the older woman.

Yoona took a sip of the orange juice before placing the glass back where it belonged. "Luhan and I have decided to investigate Jongin's death," she stated.

"So?" Krystal prompted impatiently.

"We need your cooperation," Yoona told her. "You must tell me where you were the night Jongin died."

The two young women stared into each other's eyes, willing the other to blink first. Both were equally stubborn but Yoona was more intimidating. That was why Krystal was the first to look away from Yoona's demanding eyes. "I told you that I can't tell you," she said softly, looking at the carpet on the floor.

Yoona let out her breath in frustration. She glared menacingly at the younger woman. "You idiot," she hissed. "You're going to be charged with Jongin's murder and yet you still refuse to tell us where you were the night he died. Are you out of your mind or are you just retarded?"

Yoona's harsh words made Krystal flinch. "Neither," she answered as calmly as possible. "Has it ever occurred to you that the reason I can't tell where I was that night was because it might be dangerous to do so?"

"What's so dangerous about telling your location during the night Jongin died?" Yoona demanded. "You're being unreasonable."

"Unnie!" Krystal yelled out in frustration. "Please try to understand. If I ever tell anyone where I was the night he died, someone would be in danger. Someone might even die. That's why I can't tell anyone."

"Are you saying that someone blackmailed you not to tell where you were the night Jongin died?" Yoona asked in puzzlement.

"Yes," Krystal replied icily. "You're getting it at last." The younger woman took in a deep breath before continuing, "Someone is trying to frame me for Jongin's death because I'm the perfect scapegoat. Someone stole my gun and my fingerprints were on it. I was lured out to a place and someone left me a note, saying that if I even dared to move from the place, someone would die. Someone already did even though I didn't move. Then, a person who was wearing a hoodie shoved a letter to me. The letter said that if I told the police where I was that night, someone I love would die."

Yoona's eyes widened. She patted Krystal's back sympathetically. "You can still tell the police, Krystal-ah," she murmured.

"No!" Krystal protested. "I can't. Someone will kill my family. Or maybe you, unnie. Or Jinri or Sehun or Luhan oppa. I don't want that."

"But you'll be charged with Jongin's murder!" Yoona exclaimed. "What if you get a death sentence?"

"Then be it," Krystal replied, shrugging nonchalantly. She blinked away the tears that threatened to spill on her cheeks. "It's better for me to die rather than any of the people I love die."

Yoona was stunned into silence by Krystal's words. Even though Krystal did an immoral thing such as having an affair with her best friend's boyfriend, the young woman was actually a good person at heart. She wondered why the young woman had done that but since it was a personal matter, she did not question it. But why Krystal, out of all people, the murderer chose to frame for Jongin's murder?

Before Yoona had a chance to voice out her wonders, the doorbell rang. Krystal stood up from the sofa and opened the door. Voices were heard and suddenly, the police barged into the apartment. Yoona recognised Victoria and Minseok but the rest of them were unfamiliar to her. They started to search around the place, leaving Krystal dumbfounded. Yoona stood up, feeling enraged.

"You can't go around ransacking people's house," she said with a tint of anger.

Victoria, the head of the operation, approached Yoona calmly. "Actually, we can if we have a search warrant," she stated without a trace of emotion on her face. "And we do have a search warrant." Then, she turned around and flashed Krystal a smile. "Don't worry, we'll be applying for an arrest warrant once we've had enough evidence to charge you with murder," she said sweetly. "Please leave the apartment while we're searching for evidence."

Yoona let out a sigh as she picked up her handbag. She was about to leave the house when Victoria asked, "Where do you think you're going with that handbag?"

Yoona paused before turning around. She glared at the older woman. "This handbag is mine," she said silkily. "If you want to look through it, please apply for a search warrant too because I thought you only applied for a search warrant to search in Krystal's house. I don't remember giving Krystal my handbag so you don't have a right to look through it."

With that, she sashayed out of the apartment with her head held high.