Chapter 2

Serenity Society

Chapter 2: Questions

 

Yoona looked around the room that she had been brought to. The office room was plain. The walls were red in colour, the carpet was black in colour and the room just contained the things that usual office that could be found in dramas contained. She looked at the clock and it read 6.32AM. Officer Minseok, the one who would be asking her questions, sat on a chair and invited her to sit down on the chair opposite of him. Yoona did as she was told. Well, he was a police officer, after all.

"Are you Miss Im Yoona?" the policeman started the questioning session with the most basic one.

Yoona nodded in affirmation. "Yes, that's me," she responded.

Minseok nodded in response. "Do you promise to tell nothing but the truth, Yoona-sshi?" he asked once again, taking Yoona off guard. The young woman never expected that question to be asked. In dramas and movies, that question was never asked during the interrogation between the witness and police officer.

"Do you not trust me, Officer?" she asked silkily, feeling a little bit offended at the thought of the officer not trusting her to speak the truth. She was not a child and she definitely was not an idiot to hide anything from the police. She did not want to be brought into the court, after all.

Minseok just chuckled, obviously feeling amused at Yoona's display of being offended. A small smile touched his lips as he replied, "It's not that I don't trust you. It's just a warning to you so that you will not lie or hide anything from us during the interrogation."

"I'm not stupid," the lady snapped irritably.

"All right, then. Let's proceed to the questions, shall we?" the policeman asked rhetorically. Yoona did not respond. What was there to respond with, anyway? "You said that you were on the dance floor, dancing and drinking, around the time Kim Jongin was killed, didn't you?"

"I did," Yoona replied tonelessly.

"Did you notice anything suspicious about Kim Jongin or your friends' actions during that time?" Minseok inquired, getting straight to the point.

Yoona thought about it for awhile. From what she briefly remembered, she spotted Jongin going to the toilet an hour before his body was found dead. That was all. As for her friends, she did not see them anywhere except for Jinri. "I'm not sure what you mean by 'suspicious'," she replied. "But I saw Jongin head towards the toilet an hour before the body was found."

"As for your friends?"

"I didn't spot them anywhere," she told truthfully. "A few minutes before his body was found, Jinri approached me, asking if I'd seen Jongin anywhere. I told her no. She told me to go home first if I wanted to as Sehun was upstairs doing something and Luhan was outside the club for fresh air."

Minseok raised his eyebrow at Yoona quizzically. "What about Miss Jung Krystal?" he asked, narrowing his eyes slightly.

Yoona kept quiet for a little while. She hesitated. Should she tell the officer the truth? But then, she already told him she would. But Krystal was her friend...

"You will answer my question honestly, won't you?" Minseok asked, reminding her that she had to tell the truth.

Her shoulders sagged visibly. Screw it, she thought to herself. "Jinri said that Krystal was nowhere to be found," she said at last.

Minseok nodded and took out the same notebook from just now and wrote something in it. "Do you remember anything else?" he asked, looking directly into her eyes.

"No," Yoona answered almost immediately. "That's all I remember."

Officer Minseok smiled at her and said, "Thank you for your kind cooperation, Miss Im."

The young lady rolled her eyes in response. She was about to stand up and leave when the officer asked, "Did Jongin have any enemies, Yoona-sshi?"

Yoona was taken aback by the sudden question. "None that I know of," she answered on impulse. Well, it was true. She did not remember Jongin said anything about enemies. Well, except for that fight with Sehun a week before his death...

"I don't think he had any enemies at all," Yoona said, giving her final answer before she walked out of the office room.

So much for telling nothing but the truth, Im Yoona.

 

The sound of high heels clicking in the hallway echoed throughout the corridor, attracting everyone's attention. Yoona cursed herself for wearing high heels. The stupid high heels were killing her feet after wearing it for almost ten hours straight. She walked towards Jinri, Luhan, Sehun, Jongin's family and some people that she could not see their faces. She took long strides towards them, walking with so much confidence in order to cover up about the fact that her heart was aching after hearing the news about Jongin's death.

She tried her best to keep her face blank as she arrived. Jinri looked up at her with her eyes filled with tears. "Unnie, how did it go?" she asked softly.

Yoona shrugged nonchalantly as her eyes focused on Jongin's family. His mother was crying her eyes out while his father was trying to calm his wife down. Jongin's older sister, Kim Taeyeon, looked as though everything had been stolen from her. It was as if she had no more hope in this world. Jongin's older brother, Kim Joonmyun, had a poker face on so it was impossible to tell what he was thinking.

Yoona grabbed Jinri's hand wordlessly and pulled her towards the corner of the corridor as she signaled to Sehun and Luhan to follow them. The four of them gathered and none of them said anything at first. "We should hold a meeting after this to talk about..." Yoona trailed off as she did not have the heart to continue her sentence.

Jinri sniffed. Sehun looked away. Luhan just stared at her. Nobody said anything after that. They just stood there awkwardly for a moment.

"No," Sehun was the first one to speak up. "Let's just let his death go, all right? It will bring only pain to us."

"I don't need any closure," Jinri said coldly.

Yoona looked at Luhan expectantly. Luhan was the leader of Serenity Society, after all. He should be the one who decided everything. Surely Luhan would have thought the same thing as her?

"Why do we need to talk about it?" Luhan asked almost challengingly.

Yoona let out a sigh. She tried her best to control her anger. She closed her eyes, willing her tears to return back into her eyes. "Jongin just died," she said, sniffing her nose. "He freaking died! We should investigate his death. We should make whoever that did this to him pay. We should kill—"

"Im Yoona!" Luhan hissed with a tint of warning in his voice. "Now is not the time to talk about this."

Yoona opened her eyes slowly and they met with Luhan's eyes. For the first time since Jongin's death was announced, there were traces of tears in her eyes. There were despair and devastation in her eyes. Her mask that she had put on earlier was slowly beginning to crumble. Her vulnerability was beginning to show.

They were the only ones who could see her vulnerability and weakness.

She bit her quivering lips as she tried to blink her tears away but those tears would not go away. "Jongin, our brother, is dead!" she exclaimed shrilly. "And Krystal, our Krystal, is being framed for his death!"

"Why are you so sure that she's being framed?" Jinri snapped. "What's the guarantee? Let the police handle it."

"You were his girlfriend, Choi Jinri," Yoona shot back. "Why aren't you doing anything about this?"

"Noona, please," Sehun pleaded. "Just let it go. Nothing we do will bring him back."

"Jongin was a nice guy," Yoona snapped. "Something is not right here. He did  not have any enemies. He was the perfect friend and the perfect boyfriend to-"

Her sentence was interrupted when someone cleared his throat. The four people turned around and found themselves facing Choi Minho, Jinri's older brother. "Excuse me," he said arrogantly. "Please continue your discussion later. I need to bring Jinri home."

Nobody protested when Minho gripped Jinri's wrist and dragged her away from the police station. Nobody said anything when Sehun walked away. The conversation was over for now. There was nothing left to say right now. They were still grieving over Jongin's death. Yoona wiped her tears and put on her mask back again. No emotions were shown on her face.

But as she wiped her tears, someone else's sobs could be heard from the other end of the corridor.

Yoona looked and found herself watching Krystal crying as she buried her face into her sister's shoulder. "Unnie, I didn't kill him," Krystal cried to Jessica. "I really didn't." Jessica did not say anything. Instead, the older Jung patted her sister's back, trying her best to soothe her.

Yoona turned to the young man next to her. "Do you think Krystal killed Jongin?" she asked Luhan in a small voice.

Silence enveloped them for a little while and Yoona thought he was not going to answer her. She was about to walk away and return home when Luhan spoke.

"Do you?"

Yoona hesitated. It could not be Krystal, right? Krystal was far too sweet to kill someone. She was far too girlish to do something as gory as killing someone. She was too delicate for violence.

Or so she thought.

How well did she know Krystal?

"I don't know," she replied softly. "Right now, I don't know anything at all."