Chapter 4

Stay

You then saw him look around the room at the people that were staring, and then he looked back down at you. That eye contact he gave you made you even more confused. He then left the cafeteria, just like that. And the room began to get back to it's loud self again. 

Ohkay then, that was weird. Fighting the pain in your upper left body, your cleaned up the area. As you stood back up, you began to realise how weak you physically were. What seemed like a small knock felt more like a punch. You decided it would be best to eat at the next break and clean yourself up this break. A cleaner had already taken your tray for you as you walked to the bathroom, latching onto your left arm. 

As soon as you got into the bathroom, you were glad to see no one inside. Standing in front of the mirror, you immediately took off your long sleeved jacket to reveal the already bruised arm. Great, more bruises to take care of. As you were putting you jacket back on, some girls walked into the bathroom. 

-Why is it always the same girls- you thought as you saw Jessica walk in, with her 8 puppies following her. They began to approach you, uncomfortably staring right into your eyes. This is happened before to you, bathroom bullying. You learnt your lesson to not hide in a compartment because they can easily just wait for you to come out. They only escape now was.. the door. 

"A weakling, how have you survived a week here huh?? I'm extremely curious.."

"And what are you doing in our class?? What are you doing with our Woobin??"

Some unfamiliar girls said while circling around you, towering of with their high heels that looked like normal black shoes. 

"WHAT DO YOU MEAN OUR WOOBIN. Darling, what are you doing with my Woobin??" Jessica yelled out, you were sure that everyone outside would've heard it. 

"You do know, the form class you are in is only meant for rich and famous people? You're not rich, you're not famous. Give us some answers missy!"

"Exactly, surrounded by us-" Jessica began.
"-Girls Generation-" the rest of them answered.
"And most importantly, surrounded by -" Jessica continued once again.
"-EXO. The hottest boys on the market." The girls finished.

Ohkay so basically, the EXO group these "Girls Generation" girls were talking about at the ddoekbokki stand and how they were going to marry them.. were the boys in your form class? All twelve of them?

While all this boarded your train of thought, your facial expression was unreadable. 

"YAH. LOOK AT US. If you touch any of EXO or Woobin, we will hunt you down."

Again, still figuring things out in your head, you just answered with a stuttering "oh..kay." as you casually walked out of the bathroom. 

You heard as you were leaving, "She's definitely scared of us, weakling."

Of couuuuurse you were.. hahahah, were you really? 

With only 5 minutes of lunch left, going to the nurse for some painkillers or even some ice wasn't worth the effort. You began your way back to the class to be earlier than everyone. 

Something was different. You weren't earlier than everyone. He was. 

The boy from the bus stop, the boy on your right was already in his desk, staring straight ahead into the black board at the front if the class. A sudden thought came into your mind that this was probably what you looked like when you were working things out in your mind. Nonetheless, you made your way to your seat beside him, making sure he didn't notice you. 

Too bad he did. As if he had just snapped out of his own world, his body began to loosen up and sudden words escaped his mouth. 

"Sandrah-shi.. uhh, is your arm.. ohkay?" 

You just nodded since this boy was still a stranger to you. You turned your head away from the boy and dug you head into you arms on your desk. 

This boy though, unexpectedly, stands and goes to the left side of you and gently lifts your left arm off your desk.

"What are you d--, ouch!"

He began gently pressing along your arm, starting from your hand up until he hit a bruised part. From what little expression he had, you could tell he wasn't trying to hurt you. Every time you cried in pain, his face would scrunch up as if he had just swallowed a lemon. He then continued to press onto your collarbone and shoulder, eventually making you let out a few more 'ouches'. 

"Why are you doing thi-"
 
The bell for class rang. 

The both of you saw the rest of the class enter the room. He sat back down in his desk and you too went back down onto your desk, rubbing the pain-reactivated bruises. The whole event seemed weird to you. All the events today see,ed weird to you. After all, it wasn't his fault that you got hurt. It was the boy that sat on you left that was in fault, not the boy on your right. 

 

 

-----
The bell rang for second break. During these periods, you realised how lucky you were to be bruised up on your left side, not your right which was your dominant side.

You weren't expecting him to do anything but the boy that clashed into you did not once say anything to you since the event. Not even in class where he sat right next to you. All well, you guessed he couldn't because, well, for your sake, Girls a Generation wouldn't beat you up for talking to the boy when really all you wanted was a simple apology. 

On the other hand, what did happen during class was Jessica, once again. SHE happened. While the teacher wasn't looking, she tried to go up your desk and do who knows what, making extreme eye contact with you the whole time but ended up tripping over one of the boy's feet on the way to your desk. 

"OUR SQUISHY BOI HAS GROWN UP!!" You remembered the boys all cheer as the 'squishy' boy was horrified at what had happened.

"I.. didn't do it on purpose." You recount the boy stating as he stared at Jessica on the floor in front of him.

At this exact moment, you realised how determined Jessica, not her group as much but Jessica was to do something to you, and for no reason as well. You also realised the boys, EXO apparently, were not too fond of these girls, like you, either.

Nonetheless, all that aside, it's lunch and you could finally eat. When nearly everyone was out of the classroom, you too then stood up to leave. 

"Mianhae, Sandrah-shi, but you need to go to the nurse." 

The boy on the seat to the right of yours, why was he so worried about you?

"No no, I'm ohkay. " you plainly said as you continued your way to the canteen. 

"You've got a lot more bruises than you should have just from the knock. Come, I'll take you ther-"

Wait, how did he know about your other bruises by just feeling your arm. Wait, so he saw the knock aswell, or else he wouldn't have known where I should have my bruises.. wait how is this possible, no way could he know...

"It was a big knock. I haven't eaten eith-"

"You go to the nurse, I'll come over with your lunch tray. " he quickly said as he turned around headed for the canteen.

Woahh, you don't see that everyday. Strangers who for no particular reason deciding to help you and all. 

The nurse was at the other side of the school, near the school office, great, why is it so far away. Your stomach began to rumble, your bruises began to become unnoticeable, pain wise. 

What could a nurse do about bruises? Bandage them? You didn't understand the 'school nurse' system. They never helped you at other schools, saying you cut yourself when really, it was a bully. 

Finally, for what felt like forever, you made it to the nurse. 

Walking in, you immediately saw the sitting lounge guy. Under the nurses rooms light, you could see the small nametag on his left chest stating his name was "Park Chanyeol." As a new girl in school learning new names and people, it didn't help that the school nametags were so small and black with black writing, defeats the purpose of nametags in your opinion but it helped this time. You finally knew the name of this boy that sat in the left side seat, the boy who was always alone in the apartments sitting lounge, the boy who knocked into you without a word. 

You could see that he had his school jacket off and his long sleeved blouse's sleeve held up by his hand while the nurse was putting on some sort of cream. Unlike you, he only had one distinct bruise on the outer side of his upper arm. Yes, it was a big knock, it hurt you to bits and it bruised him to this. 

The nurse and he had finally spotted you at the door of the room, standing clueless of what you're supposed to do next. 

"I've got bruises as well.."

Park Chanyeol's big eyes immediately went to your left arm as you were taking off the left arm of your jacket to reveal your short sleeved blouse and of course, your countless bruises and past scars. 

The nurse, like many other nurses, gasped not at the bruises that were putting you under pain but the scars and imperfections. You always felt like saying, 'don't worry, my other arm is just as bad.' Of course, you never did though. 

The nurse then sat you down and, like before, starting putting cream onto the bruises, this time on you and not the boy. You could definitely feel Chanyeol constantly staring at your arm but you didn't dare to look over into his eyes to see his emotions. 

The door opened once again, breaking Chanyeol's stare at your arm, stopping the nurse putting cream on you aswell.

"ANOTHER ONE? Why is everyone getting hurt today?!?" The nurse exclaimed, as if she was talking to herself.

"Anniyo. I'm here to bring... to bring Sandrah's lunch, she hasn't eaten yet. " he explained to the nurse, as if he were your close friend or something. 

"Thank ..you." you said, almost shaky from the fact that he actually did bring you food. Now that he was too under this rooms light, his nametag was now also readable. 

Byun Baekhyun.

Your arm became numb from the cream and what pain you had before was gone. So this nurse actually did something that worked. 

The room suddenly became quiet, tense. Looking up from your arm, you saw Chanyeol and Baekhyun looking at eachother. Goodness, they both had such unreadable faces. Definitely though, they didn't seem to look like 'friends' at that very moment. Weren't they meant to be in the same group.. or was Girls Generation bluffing about the EXO thing. 

Breaking the tense atmosphere, Chanyeol broke their unusual eye contact with a statement to the nurse, "Thank you Miss, I'll be leaving." 

"Alright, remember to co-" she began to reply.

He was already gone. 

"-come back if it hurts again." She uselessly continues. 

Baekhyun then goes back to the state he was in before Chanyeol came into his view. 

"Quickly ..eat up, the bell's about to ring. I'm Byun ..Baekhyun by.. the way." he said stuttering. 

As you were eating, you could see Baekhyun staring at your arms. You could definitely tell he was having deep thoughts. For the rest of the time though, the two of you didn't say anything until the bell rang. 


---
The rest of the day was just the usual, nothing more happened in class.

 

 

-----
Walking home by yourself, you felt so vulnerable in your school uniform. Everyone knew you were a high schooler, everyone knew you went to this highschool, everyone knew too much about you just by looking at you walking home, you didn't like it. And plus, you looked weaker than you already did before when wearing a school skirt and jacket. Now that Woobin's gone, it is literally just you to fend for yourself. 

As soon as you got to the apartment complex, you spotted Chanyeol in the sitting lounge again. How fast did he get here.. nonetheless, you went up to your apartment to get changed into your usual outfit, he didn't spot you once. 

Why not get some dinner at the food court again. 

You finished all your homework and revised in the apartment bedroom for a few hours until you stomach began to rumble. Bringing some money with you, putting your hoodie up and wearing your sunglasses, you made your way down to glorious food. 

As expected, he was still there in the same spot. This time though, you felt more safer to know that he wouldn't recognise you. As you were eating your rice and side dishes alone at a table in the food court, you looked over to the sitting lounge on the other side of the lobby to see, great, Jessica. How did she get here? Why was she here? Not for you could she? How could she know you lived here?

"WHAT DO YOU MEAN YOU DON'T LOVE ME?" She yelled, echoing throughout the whole of the ground floor, you were sure the receptionist wasn't happy about this either. 

You saw Chanyeol, sitting in the same position, looking at the same place while Jessica continuously shouts at him.  

"WHAT DO YOU MEAN? BAEKHYUN HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH THIS. YOU HAVE NO REASON TO BREAK UP WITH ME. THIS TERM HAS BEEN HORRIBLE BECAUSE YOU LEFT ME. F**KING TELL ME WHY?"

"Really now Jessica, you really aren't that bad but the way you treat people, so off putting." You said to yourself. Since you were in a different area on the ground floor, the two could not hear what you were saying. Actually, Jessica probably didn't know you were even there. 

"BECAUSE BAEKHYUN LIKES ME? YOU SAID YOU LIKED ME! IF YOU CARE ABOUT HIM SO MUCH, WHY DID YOU DATE ME THEN? YOU TWO EVEN GOT SEPARATED IN CLASS BECAUSE OF THIS. NOW THAT GIRL SITS IN BETWEEN YOU TWO. SEE WHAT YOU DID TO YOURSELF? CAN'T YOU SEE THAT YOU NEED TO BE WITH ME?"

Hold up. You were seated between the two to separate them? Over a fight about Jessica? Explains the tense atmosphere in the nurses room. 

Throughout all of this, you were enjoying your dinner, Chanyeol sat in the same spot, staring into the same air, replying by only moving his mouth and in a normal voice that only Jessica could hear. Jessica on the other hand standing over him, walking around and yelling like there was no one else in the world besides them, until he broke. 

"YOU, JESSICA, YOU AND YOUR GIRLS GENERATION NEED TO STOP WITH WHATEVER YOU ARE DOING. YOU WERE THE ONE THAT HAD TO RUIN MY FRIENDSHIP WITH BAEKHYUN, EXO DON'T EVEN LOOK AT ME THE SAME ANYMORE. I WAS FORCED TO LIVE HERE BECAUSE OF THAT. YOU WERE THE ONE TO SUGGEST TO THE TEACHER TO SEPARATE US IN CLASS. THE DESK IN BETWEEN US WAS FREE, THE NEW GIRL JUST HAPPENED TO BE PUT INTO THAT SEAT. I EVEN FELT THE NEED TO EAT BY MYSELF AT LUNCH AND ENDED UP HURTING THE NEW GIRL, SHE GOT HURT BECAUSE OF ME. SHE DIDN'T DO ANYTHING WRONG, BAEKHYUN DIDN'T DO ANYTHING WRONG, I DID WRONG BY TRUSTING YOU. YOU ONLY WANT US FOR MONEY, THAT'S WHY WE ALL DISLIKE YOU." 

For a moment, Jessica stood silent, flabbergasted that Chanyeol had yelled back at her. Already had enough, Chanyeol stood up from the lounge, shaking his head and began his way up the stairs to his apartment. 

Jessica surprisingly had the energy to let out her last remark. 
"YOU ALL DON'T DISLIKE ME, YOU EVEN SAID BEFORE BAEKHYUN LIKED ME. IF I TRIED, I COULD BE WITH HIM RATHER THAN YOU! YOU ALL ARE JUST JEALOUS OF MY MONEY AREN'T YOU!" 

What a nice dinner you had. 

That night in bed, all you could think about was their fight. Everything Chanyeol and Jessica had said played in your mind, links were made in your head and soon, you knew that Chanyeol did not knock into you on purpose. You realised this class wasn't having a good term regarding friendships either. And finally, you also realised Jessica was trying to date EXO while at the same time, trying to marry your brother. 

You felt so happy that no one knew your family because if they did, things could go either way. Everyone likes you because you have money and your family is rich or for the same reasons, everyone could hate you. Every school you went to that found out you were rich, everyone hated you. There was never anyone that ever looked at you like a normal person again. And since all the people knew you were the unfavourable child as well, bullying happened. 

 

 

-----
Morning came, you were in your uniform, walking down the stairs of the complex when you saw him behind you. Chanyeol was already on the stairs when you arrived. That means he's got the apartment on the 20th floor. Woah, so he is rich. As if he were half asleep, he didn't seem to spot you or recognise which made you feel relieved until the two of you reached the ground floor. He walked ahead of you and cautiously turned around to look at you from the front. 

"So it is her.. when did she live here.." He muttered to himself. So he really has never recognised you.

*Distance is advantageous, for what is unknown can be dangerous.* this played through your mind when you were choosing to greet him or not. 

You decided that you didn't really know him and there was no particular need to talk to him, besides, he was probably having a bad day from what happened to him yesterday. 

You lowered you head and kept walking out of the complex. 

You were now ahead of him, he was now behind of you and the two of you were walking to school using the same route. Awkward. 

Half way to school though, he caught up to you to let out a quick sentence that sounded like it had been thought over but eventually became noticeably unrehearsed. 

"I may not be able to say this later so, I'm sorry about knocking into you earlier. I was not paying.. attention to where I ..was going and I saw the bruises it .. gave you so....I'm sorry."

Did he think all the bruises on your arm were because of him? 

You knew he wasn't in fault, you knew he was being sincere and because if this, you didn't really know what to reply back.

"It's ohkay." Was all that you said, giving him eye contact to make sure he felt reassured.

You kept walking and so did he but this time round, he was walking much closer to you than he was before he apologised. 

"Who do you sit with at lunch?" he said out of no where, still walking slightly behind you, in a bright, happy voice.

You were still not close to school so you thought it wouldn't hurt to have a small conversation with him. You tell that his real personality was coming out under the the guilt and his face began to light up with a smile.

"I don't sit with anyone." you replied plainly. 

"Ohkay." He said.

You looked over at him to see him looking down at his feet with an awkward, bottom-teeth end smile. 

Feeling bad for him, you decided to ask him the same question back. 

"Hhahaha..well.. I usually sit with the other 11 boys in our class but nowadays.. that's not going too well." he said as he looked at you with a saddened smile. 

"I see.." You said. Well, you never really talked to anyone other than your brother so, this was almost like a first.. you just hoped you didn't come across as shy and weak because it seemed like every time you said something, you would stutter or shake. 

The back of your school was now in sight. Chanyeol's behaviour completely changed back to the poker faced boy you always saw at school. He managed to get out a few sentence before he left you and headed to the school himself. 

"I'm sorry, you shouldn't be seen with me. Your reputation at this school with be thrown out the window if people saw you with me. I'm sorry, if you want, I can walk to the apartment after school with you. Only if you want. Oh and, my name in Park Chanyeol, it was nice meeting you." 

He then went off into the school and disappeared into some unknown block. Did you really want to walk home with this mere stranger...? And what exactly was your reputation at this school that he mentioned before.. a weak new girl that just happened to be transferred into a class of rich and famous students? 

As you finally walked through the school gates onto the back oval of the school, a person's hand grabbed onto your left shoulder.

"Ouuuuchhh.." 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

CO-AUTHOR'S NOTE- crappy chapter, I know =="