a jar of lights .

f i r e f l i e s .
finally. kris thought to himself as he stared into the heated summer sky. it was his favorite time of the day, when he could just sit and enjoy the very little amount of the day he had left in peace and silence. the only sounds he could hear were the sounds of the warm summer breeze hitting the trees. after hours of slavering around in the basketball court, he could finally relax with the only person he'd want to relax with.
 
luhan. luhan was the only one who would rush through his work just to make it in time to see kris break a sweat playing basketball. luhan was the only one who would ask him about how his day went, or if anything was wrong. 
 
and kris would always await his arrival; he knew exactly when he would quietly creep through those gym doors, and scoot over to the bleachers without making a single sound, as quiet as a thief in the night.
 
he would come at 3:32. no sooner, no later.
 
he would politely sit down, not drawing any attention to himself as he would pull out his phone and text baekhyun. he would sit there, knowing he was bored, yet still wait for kris to be ready for luhan to get a ride back to his parents house. and kris would always agree willingly, snatching him away from the sweat filled gym and into his sleek black cadillac. luhan has been in kris's car so many times, he knows exactly where everything is located, and how it smells. it has the new fresh car smell with the mix of the aroma of fresh laundry.they would always drive a 10 minute ride to luhan's house. they would never actually go inside luhan's house- they would walk straight through the gates off the side of his home and into the backyard, kicking off their shoes and lounging on the grass watching the sunset.
 
today was just the same with one minor difference. it was the first day of summer. it was hotter than normal, but not exceedingly hot. kris held luhan as close as possible as soon as they landed on the grass, luhan sitting his book bag in front of him. he slowly took out his white laptop, lifting the screen from the opening, not minding if kris was acting more clingy than the other day. luhan gently tapped his fingers on each key of the keyboard as he unlocked his computer, already having loads of files from previous organizing.
 
luhan was a neat freak. everything had to be perfect. he would spend hours organizing his photos on his macbook, concentrating hard as if his life depended on it. he had so many images saved onto his laptop, it was very close to running out of space. he had folders full of nothing but selfies of him and kris, he had files saved for professional photos taken by him, and then he had the folder that read 'sweet nothings'. kris would always wonder what this meant, but the day he started dating luhan, he realized it almost instantly.
 
kris watched as luhan started typing onto his laptop, creating sub folders withing the 3 main folders he had. he would sort them by color, by object, by quality. and kris would just watch him in awe. the pictures luhan took were absolutely stunning. he would watch every movement on the keyboard luhan would make, admiring it to the fullest. 
 
until he got bored.
 
it had been a half an hour by now and luhan was still organizing his photos. he was organizing the christmas images he had taken with kris, smiling as a memory would slip by each time he would see a new picture. kris in a deep breath, before up some courage to speak. neither one of them wanted to be the first to speak, at the same time both wanted the other to say something first. today, kris felt like it was his turn.
 
"so are you done yet?" he questioned in a small voice. luhan slowed down his typing to a halt, turning to look at kris in the eyes with a soft gaze. 
 
kris tried to contain himself, but it was no use. his lips would just look so kisable, how could he resist? he slowly leaned in before luhan could let out a single word, kissing him softly and passionately.
 
it took a minute for luhan to adjust to the kiss before he could start returning the favor. they hadn't kissed since last night, and knowing kris, he was almost positive that he would not be receiving one. luhan slowly kisses back, closing his laptop with a soft thud as he wrapped his arms around kris's neck. the kiss lasted long, as the sun surrendered to the moon, the darkness wrapping the two in a warm humid blanket. luhan slowly closed his eyes pulling away, cracking a wide smile. he looked beyond kris's shoulder, at the sparkling yellow insects before them.
 
"its so... beautiful." he acknowledged. he held his finger out, his eyes sparkling in the tinted light like the stars above them. they both watched as a firefly landed on the tip of his finger, crawling up it.
 
luhan giggled, moving his finger closer to his face. "he's so cute, isnt he, kris?"
 
kris shrugged holding one in the palm of his hand. "i've seen cuter."
 
"like what?"
 
"you."
 
luhan thanked the lords from above that it was somewhat dark so kris couldnt see the light red plastered on his cheeks. he smiled to himself watching the firefly fly away. kris grabbed luhans hand gently as he got a great idea. he slowly walked him onto his porch, opening the screen door that led him to the kitchen. kris searched around the counters until he found the perfect medium size transparent jar that looked almost made for firefly catching. he guided luhan back outside, his hand griping firmly on the jar. luhan looks around eyes widening.
 
"it seems as if there population just doubled since the 2 minutes we were in there!" luhan exclaimed as he stared at the fireflies in clear amazement. he jogged around the backyard, catching as many of the lighting bugs as he can fit into his two palms. kris couldnt help but to watch him in thought like he always did. it felt so right. luhan was such a perfect creature. he was like a doll- a porcelain doll. kris literally survived on luhan; for what would he have done without luhan?
 
april 29th,
 
"kris..." luhan muttered, looking at kris with eyes of puddles. it was raining hard outside, just as fast as tears were streaming down his cheeks.
 
kris tried to look away, unable to look at luhan crying. it would still hurt the same... even though he was leaving.
 
"wh-why..." luhan stuttered out, trying to wipe his tears. it was hopeless- they just kept falling.
 
"you're better off without me babe. i hurt you... i-i cant live with myself knowing that..." kris stated in a downwards tone, his voice cracking as he teared up. he turned his back on luhan, walking away from the milkshake shop, leaving luhan all alone.
 
just like before.
 
luhan has cried for days straight. so had kris. kris was mentally killing himself not to go back to him. he had to contain himself. he had did wrong. luhan deserves better; much more than kris could offer. luhan did not deserve a cheater.
 
luhan spent a total of 5 days crying. he would never leave his room except for to eat or to go to work. he wouldnt go wait for a ride at the basketball court. he would ride the bus all the way home. he would organize his files in his room, alone, avoiding the pictures of him and his ex. he and baekhyun would sit up all night eating ice cream and watching reality tv.
 
because who wouldnt love reality tv? its still oh so fake, you could only wish your defintion of 'reality' was the same as theirs.
 
one the fifth day since their separation, kris had realized that he had left his basketball in luhans backyard. he was too polite to invade their space by walking into ther backyard, so instead he knocked on the door, which he's never ever done.
 
luhans parents had answered the door, tired expressions on their faces. kris had explained about the basketball, and that he would need luhan to wake up and help him find it, since they had hid it from each other during a game and had never found it. his parents moved out from in front of the door, letting kris walk in. kris walked up the stairs, rehearsing what he was going to say when he heard giggling. more thoughts came rushing through his mind as he paused his movement on the second to last stair. had luhan found someone else in 5 days? was he interrupting on something? he took a deep breath, keeping in mind that he was only in the household for his ball.
 
he knocked on the first white door in the pale blue hallway. suddenly the giggling stopped, being replaced by footsteps inching closer to the door. the door was cracked open, an eye looking through the crack.
 
"h-hi... i-is luhan in there?" kris stuttered out, rubbing his elbows.
 
the eye widened before slamming the door shut. kris heard whispering before the door was reopened, but this time all the way open. luhan stared at kris, speechless. but to kris, his eyes spoke for him.
 
and kris's eyes spoke back.
 
 
december 23,
 
"starbucks please kris?" luhan begged, poking his chest. "i'll do anything!"
 
with the last sentence, kris smirked pulling luhan closer. "tip for the future; never tell me you'll do anything for me to give you something. that 'anything' can turn into some pretty deep stuff."
 
luhan turned pink, gulping an ocean of spit. "w-well... who said i would mind it? hmm?"
 
"fine fine fine we can go to starbucks baby" kris laughed, wrapping a coat around luhan firmly.  they walked outside into the cold crisp winter air as they passed all the other shops getting ready for last minute christmas shoppers. they turned into the starbucks, loving the temperature difference.
 
they ordered two chilled vanilla frappes with whip cream mixed, their favorite. they sat in silence, kris looking out the window and luhan playing with his straw. it was always silent the first 10 minutes of any date they had. but luhan would start piping eventually. it was starbucks; he always was happy in here.
 
"so... hows basketball going?" luhan asked, finally taking a sip of his drink.
 
kris shrugged barely hearing the question. for he had a better question on his mind. "why do you love me after all the times i've hurt you?" 
 
luhan slowly put down his drink, shocked at the words just came out of kris's mouth. "uh-umm.. Kris its kind of like a book in a way. books can make you feel an emotional infatuation if its a good enough read. something major can happen in the plot that makes you angry or sad or even confused, yet your so hooked on the book you keep reading despite the mixed emotions. yeah, its like that." 
 
 
once luhan had reached the max of fireflies he could hold, he walked over to kris slowly yet steadily walking closer and closer.... until there bodies were barely separated by the jar that kris held tightly onto taking kris out of his train of thought. he lifts the jars lid, staring at luhan in his eyes smiling lovingly. luhan slowly but gently places each firefly one by one into the jar, feeling his heart warm a little bit with each insect the lights up the jar. once he ran out of yellow bugs, kris closed the jar firmly, placing it on the ground. he slid his hand into his picket, pulling out a small black box luhan could barely see due to the darkness. it had to be around 11 pm by now, they had been outside for hours.  kris sat onto the ground next to the jar, tugging gently on his hand motioning for him to sit down as well. they sat in more silence, kris grabbing luhans hand placing it on top of the jar, and slipping a ring on his finger. luhan gasped feeling the cold, solid piece of jewelry on. he looked over to kris, seeing a bright smile on his face.
 
"luhan... will you make me the happiest man in the world and marry me?"
 
luhans eyes filled with buckets of tears faster than a jaguar would run for its prey. he nodded his head wiping the warm salty tears that were falling down his cheeks. "yes... yes yes yes yes yes! i love you so much!"
 
As the melody of syllables poured eagerly out of his mouth, its as if the fireflies danced around them, as if the moon shone a bit brighter, and as if the d a r k had gotten a bit l i g h t e r .
 
 
 
 
 
t h e   e n d .