3/3

The Patient

Happiness is always temporary when it involves Kyungsoo.

 

Kyungsoo arrived to his workplace and ignored Baekhyun’s pitiful stares as he took to the 700 wing. He quickly moved to Jongin’s room, wanting to see his lover’s face. He excitedly knocked before entering.

There, in a pristine white rom, lived Kim Jongin. Kyungsoo noticed the trash scattered throughout the floor and mentally chuckled to himself.

And, like always, Jongin was playing around with the box. “I opened this box. It’s empty.” Jongin then focused his attention on his doctor. “I don’t know why, doc, but I feel to need to apologize so here it is: I’m sorry.”

Kyungsoo’s smile slipped of his face as he blankly stared at Jongin. He closed his eyes and ignored the painful throb in his heart. No. Today is the day he is supposed to be dismissed.

Jongin threw the box into the trash bin and sighed while Kyungsoo’s eyes widened as he saw what Jongin threw into trash. “Now that I threw that away, I feel like a burden was lifted off.”

“What do you when you miss someone?” Kyungsoo suddenly asked as he glanced at his feet, aware of the intimidating stare that Jongin was giving him. Jongin disliked being interrupted.

Jongin rolled his eyes. “Remember,” he answered truthfully despite the stoic expression planted on his face.

“Remember what?” Kyungsoo asked as he shed a few tears. He swiftly turned to the side so Jongin couldn’t see him crying.

“Everything.”

Kyungsoo covered his mouth and began to sob. He excused himself then ran away, with no location in mind.

Once Kyungsoo reached the private garden meant for the most ill patients, he finally released his scream.


 

[Five Years Later]

“I said leave me alone, Joonmyeon!” Baekhyun screamed into his walkie. Chanyeol, who was now a nurse (after studying due to Baekhyun’s persistence) stood by and chuckled as he watched his boss and boyfriend fight through walkie talkies.

“He’s your patient!”

Baekhyun pouted and glanced at Chanyeol. Chanyeol gulped. Those eyes. Chanyeol sighed and waved him off, “Fine. I’ll go get Jongin.”

Baekhyun then beamed and blew a kiss to his lover. “Thanks Chan!”

And before Chanyeol could say anything, Baekhyun was already skidding away to who knows where.

“He knows how to get his way.” a deep voice echoed. Chanyeol turned and grinned when he saw Jongin in his coat.

“Yah, it’s hard to  believe you were just a patient here five years ago...” Chanyeol mumbled. Jongin awkwardly coughed and nodded. “Yeah...”

“Go see 709. Baekhyun doesn’t want to see him,” Chanyeol said after remembering what Baekhyun made him do. Jongin scowled but nodded in agreement.

“Do Kyungsoo...” he mumbled as he began his way down the hallway. Kyungsoo.

 

Jongin finally found his way to the infamous room. He shuddered as he remembered the days he was in that same room. He entered without knocking and was appalled at the sight before him.

 

“Who are you?” Kyungsoo  asked, crowing in fear. His usually styled hair was replaced by messy bed hair. His eyes were bloodshot and he had the worst eyebags Jongin has ever seen. This is not Kyungsoo.

 

"Hello, I am Kim Jongin, your primary physician."

"That name sounds familiar," the man said. A miniature notebook  laid comfortably in his hand as he fiddled with the papers over and over again. .

Jongin smiled. "It should. We were lovers for many years."

“I never had a lover.”

Jongin hummed and wrote down the basic vitals. He noticed Kyungsoo’s eyes studying him. “You were my doctor,” he continued.

“I was never a doctor.”

“I made you into this...” Jongin muttered as Kyungsoo stared at him with those big eyes of his. They were simply blank, no emotion at all.

I remembered you, will you remember me?


 

It isn’t until Jongin is paged to check up on a new patient when he leaves Kyungsoo’s side. “Bye Kyungsoo,” Jongin says, with a smile in his face.

 

Once Jongin was out of the room, Kyungsoo’s stoic face disappeared. He began to weep. For a reason unknown to him, Kyungsoo would always cry whenever Jongin left the room.


 

Jongin felt his throat close up as he wrote down his notes about his patient.

Do Kyungsoo: Still no progress.