Swollen Hearts And Fragile Figures

You'll miss the sun when it starts to rain

A few rainy days went by and the sky was covered with nature's own candy floss - clouds, grey clouds. Kyungsoo watched the raindrops crash against his window while he smoked his last cigarette by the opened window. Everything felt so dead, washed out by the rain. He didn't see anyone leave the apartment, nor anyone walking in eihter. It was a dead day today, was it even a day today? It felt awkward to even think about today as a day. Nothing was really living, like other days. It was cold inside his apartment, probably because he had the window open for a good forthyfive minutes or so while daydreaming as smoke entered and escaped his lungs. He walked over to his front door and gathered all the mails the mailman had dropped through the door's letterbox. Some bills to pay, two supermarket magazines and a brown envelope. Kyungsoo went to the kitchen and laid all the mails except the brown mail on the kitchen counter. 

Kyungsoo inspected the envelope, it was hard. The whole thing was hard, like a cd or something inside. Trying hard to remember, he couldn't recall if he ordered something online. It doesnt say his name on it either, where did it come from? Who sent it? Or did it end up under wrong rooftop?

He decided to not open it. And let it sit with the other letters and flyers on the white counter.

Suddenly, something distracted him from the brown envelope. Kyungsoo heard the sound of Jongin - music. Oh how he missed this, it felt like years had passed by without hearing the loud music. The loud music only meant one thing - Jongin danced. That meant that Kyungsoo like always was going to creep from the balcony, but it was raining. He hesitated because of the intense wind blowing. He imagned the slaps he'd get from the rain each time it blew towards him. But Kyungsoo wasn't afraid of the rain slapping his face and decided to get a glance of the perfect stranger. Kyungsoo opened the door to his balcony and stepped outside. And like expected, the slapping started. It was nice, stings a bit but in a nice way. He went to the plastic white wall that splitted their balcony and jerked his upper body to get a glimpse. And there he was, in the living room, dancing with full focus. Today's style was jazz. Kyungsoo learned all of the different types of dances Jongin danced through Yixing. Not particullary asking what type Jonigin danced but rather sneakily. Asking what most of his students liked to dance, what the best student - in this case, Jongin. (Yixing praised him a lot for his amazing skills and found Jongin best dancer of the team) liked. And there we had it. Jongin likes Jazz/RnB the most. But dances generally every kind of style perfectly.

Hoping he wont get caught, Kyungsoo ended up imagining a picture of him singing for Jongin while he danced with sharp movements. The thought made his heart race, warmth rush through his body. The cold only went by him, not able to get through the warmth inside of him. His thoughts were causing a thunder inside his veins, and everything felt strange, strangely alright.

Watching Jongin, losing himself in thoughts of him and Jongin, ended up back to reality and realizing he's in the balcony creeping on his neighbour, the one he's fancying. That was pretty much Kyungsoos morning.

Smoker, shameless. Kyungsoo in two words.

In love. 

 

As days passed by, the brown envelope laid on the kitchen counter untouched, waiting for its wonder who never seached for it. Perhaps was the owner of the mystic envelope Kyungsoo? Also, it was right for him to open it after a few days, since no one asked for it, he had the right to open. But he didn't. Mostly because of the suspiciousness of the content. So he let it be there. Kyungsoo wasn't sure of what to do with it, open it? trash it? Maybe give it to the workers in the lobby so they can put it up as missing? He didn't want to think about it, but it kept haunting him, making him uneasy.

"It's just a envelope. What could happen if you opened it anyway?" Yixing tried to convince him to open it but nor could Yixing or Kyungsoos ego. 

"We'll see what i do" Kyungsoo said and lit up his cigarette trying to avoid Yixing judging eyes. Yixing frowned at the stick when kyungsoo lit it. He tried all kinds of ways for example breaking the sticks into two and hiding his pack to make him stop smoking but Kyungsoos stubborness only gave him an unnecessary addiction in the end. It was cold and the great idea of sitting on the outdoor dining section of the café was not so great anylonger. It was stormy and kyungsoo hated it. They sipped their hot chocos in silence. "I'm going to the studio, are you coming with me?" Yixing said while looking at his watch. He was running late for his class. Kyungsoo didn't need a millisecond to remember that Jongin would be there. Would he perhaps be there? He doesn't show up sometimes. Wouldn't it be awkward to sit there and watch him? His neighbour? Is isn't it kind of wrong? Stalkerish?? All these questions in his head made his body freeze which looked very odd on the outside. 

"Hello?" Yixing shook Kyungsoo lightly. Quickly snapping out of Jongin-land Kyugnsoo decided to thank no to the request. "It gets awkward to be there and watch everyone dance" Kyungsoo hid half of the situation to not get his friend suspicious. But we all know bestfriends know each other with only a look in the eye. Yixing smiled at the wide-eyed boy but quickly replaced the smile into a almost debt full expression.

"Kyungsoo, you know.. Jongin,don't get too attaced." Yixing uttered, making Kyungsoos eyes to expand into a uninmaginable size. "W-what do you mean?" Kyungsoo was dumbfounded. 

"He's different, not like you. Don't dig too deep, stay on the surface, you won't be able to handle it. I gotta go now, see you later?" Yixing patted Kyungsoo on the shoulder and left with big steps avoiding confrontation.

Kyungsoo stood there, in the cold. Still dumbfounded, and very curious. What the heck was Yixing talking about? Was it about Jongin living alone away from his family? Kyungsoo felt the uneasiness rush through his body and brain.

Yixing knew.

Kyungsoo has to know. But was he able to handle it? Whatever this was, was he really able to fight against the truth waves?

What ever it was, he had to find out.


Kyungsoo went straight home, brewed some herbal tea. This time some greentea to help soothe his stress and irritation. He placed himself on the cremé L shaped sofa with his Macbook pro and went through pictures of Yixings dance studio's site. He was only searching for one person, Jongin. But no signs of Jongin as he went on for each picture. All of the students had pictures with their families taken but no signs of Jongin or a family picture of him. Not even sneaky pictures taken without him noticing while dancing was found on the site. Kyungsoo remembered that he also didn't have any new pictures of himself and his family at home either. Jongin was still a little kid on all of the photos he saw at his house. Maximum age was eight to nine on the pictures. No teenage Jongin was found. Kyungsoo nonchalantly shut the laptop and removed it off his lap. He signed. Suddenly his stomach rumbled. Oh right, it was almost 07.00 pm. Kyungsoo got up and marched to the kitchen. He stared at the fidge, signed. It wasn't empty it was packed with food from yesterdays groceryshopping in fact. But he didn't feel like cooking. Instead, his eyes stuck on the brown envelope. Kyungsoo stared at it for a long moment until he grabbed it and went to his room. He opened a small drawer on his desktop and placed it inside of the drawer. "Stop ing confusing me" He spoke under his breath. And at this moment, his phone made a pling noise. A message. The number is not saved on his phone. Kyungsoo opened it and read it. 

"Hello, It's Jongin..Wanna go out for some dinner tonight?" Kyungsoo froze. Time stood still, Kyungsoo couldn't accept it. Did he really recive that message? "Oh my god." Kyungsoo laughed, like crazy. Not sure what reaction to give. It felt like fluff inside of him. Flowers blooming inside his ribcage. He quickly replied with a "Sure, how about in 15 minutes?" and watched the text send. Delivered. Read the second it was delivered. And a reply quick as lightning. "Sounds good. I'll be there by then!" 

Kyungsoo opened his wardrobe and quickly inspected the clothes, arranged in color order. Kyungsoo picked a darkblue shirt along with black jeans. He quickly changed and sprayed on some cologne. 1 Million by Paco Rabanne. His signature smell (featuring smoke). Quickly fixing his hair, he glances in the mirror in the hall and waits for the door to ring.

Seven minutes later and the wait is over. 

A cremé coat dressed Jongin stands infront of Kyungsoo, who has turned tomato red in just a few seconds. He's looking so good. It's Kyungsoos first time seeing Jongin dressed up like this. He would normally sport skinnyjeans or sweat pants with a jersey. Plain and simple. But this was something new and fresh. Kyungsoo loved it. Perhaps a bit too much to make it obvious. 

They glance at each other in silence. Having a hard time keeping eyecontact Jongin clears his throat "Shall we get going?" he smiles shyly. Kyungsoo nodds and with Jongins request steps out of the apartment and locks the door. The elevator ride goes as expected, in silence. Typical atmostphare for these two young boys. Damn it, why is it so hard to keep a conversation alive with this boy, Kyungsoo thought. Kyungsoo usually starts the conversation around new people but this was an exception, it was like rocket sience. One small mistake and it was all ruined, he didn't even try this time but the trauma of previous "conversations" with Jongin discouranged him. While fighting his inner conflicts, the ride was over and the boys stepped out of the elevator. It was chilly outside, but not freezing cold. It was cold enough to sit on a park wrapped up in blankets hugging each other. But the plans for today was eating so Kyungsoo shook that though away and continued following Jongin to the place he had on his mind. After walking around in the streets, death silent for a maximum of ten minutes, Jongin turned into a small restaurant. Thai take away. "Let's order, and eat in the park about a block from here, huh?" Kyungsoo requested. Jongin nodded "Okay, let's do that." 

"How did you start dancing?" Kyungsoo tried to exchange some sentences while walking to the park. " I was very young." His eyes changed emotions,happiness. "I saw a man dance on the tv, and i told mother "Mom, i want to do that." So i attended dance school.."He smiled brightly. "Have you ever danced before, Kyungsoo?" He softly spoke. "I can't dance" Kyungsoo shrugged. Jongin raised an eyebrow "Yes you can, let me teach you some steps!" 

Jongin took away Kyungsoos plastic bag and placed it on the groud. They stood in the middle of the street, learing how to dance. Kyungsoo felt somehow excited.

"Okay now follow me" He started out with turning away from the wide-eyed boy who watched the perfect stranger with his fullest attention. Suddenly, Jongin turned around in a jump. "Step one - Jump!" He said brightly. He kept building the dance with step two, hand movements, like forming a ball shape. "Step two! - Ball" Jongin threw the ball shaped hand movements to a side with one hand and another side with the other. "Step three! - Throw it!" Kyungsoo smiled widely.

And suddenly spaced out, it felt unreal. To be here among bright lights that kept the city alive, with the one and only Perfect stranger. He travels backwards through time and space - the remembers seeing Jongin for the first time. What a beautiful mortal. As he disintegrate the thougths,his soul feels invisible, light. In love. He landed back down to Earth when he heard Jongin speak "Kyungsoo, now you try!" Kyungsoo tried, looking like a old man with back pains. Jongin laughed "Noo you have to relax, again" He crossed his arms and watched Kyungsoo struggling with the dance steps. "I can't do this.. let's just eat?" Kyungsoo pleaded. No trace of the excitment he felt before. Jongin nodded. He picked the bag up from the groud and started walking, Kyungsoo followed.

They arrived at the park and sat down on a bench. The park was empty. Jongin noticed that the park was new built. Clean, green and fresh. The boys started unpacking the food and table quickly became full of food and drinks, and of course their main consumption - Cigarettes. They ate, drank, smoked and chatted. It went on like a usual conversation people have when they meet someone for the first time, it was awkward, yet sweet. The boys exchanged small unnessesary questions. "Favorite fotball team?" Jongin asked. Kyungsoo doesn't like football. But he didn't want to sound boring since Jongin might like it, if not why would he ask, Kyungsoo thought. So he just blurted something out "Uh, Chelsea..." Jongin didn't like football in fact, but though Kyungsoo would. So he used the same tactics as Kyungsoo and told a white lie "I like them too!" They smiled stiffly, like as if they both knew the truh, football . However Jongin felt less strange now, he seemed like a normal boy. Kyungsoo didn't understand what Yixing meant the other day. He didn't want to think about any type of connection either. It stressed him out. 

There was nothing left to do in the park so the boys started to slowly clean up and return home.

 

And everything

happened in seconds.

And the crowd gathered around as the shots drowned into siren sounds. The dark night illuminated with the colors of the ambulance light.

To the front of the park, all the way up to the place where the police tape ran to mark the crime scene. Everybody trying to catch a glimpse of what was happening.

They stood there. Beside each other, quietly. The only sound that was heard was the siren.

One knew everything the other nothing.

Time stood still, everything went pitch black. Tears ready to run down their cheeks.

The voice made Kyungsoos head its home. Forever staying there, haunting him. "Be careful, you might end up like this." The dark silhouette spoke, looking Jongins way. And Bang.

He faded out to black.

Gone.

Jongin knew him.