03

That One Person

03:

A loud clink echoed in the diner when the fork met the plate when Jessica dropped it. The loud clink attracted the attention of other customers in the diner but Jessica couldn’t care less about that.

“Wha--What?”

“I’m..engaged, Jessie.”

Jessica suddenly found it was hard to breathe. She could feel her whole world crumbling the moment the words escaped from Tiffany’s mouth.

Jessica took a deep breath as she tried to regain her composure after hearing what Tiffany had just told her. She thought, well, actually she was hoping that she heard it wrongly but the ring on Tiffany’s finger told her otherwise.

“W-When?” Jessica tried to sound normal but she sounded shaky instead.

“Siwon proposed yesterday...”

Jessica was unconsciously unclenching and clenching her firsts. She knew Tiffany had been dating Siwon for two years and to be honest, she knew this thing was bound to happen sooner or later but she didn’t expect it to be this soon. She was totally caught off-guard. She wasn’t ready to see Tiffany being someone’s partner for life, in fact; she was never ready from the beginning.

“Are you okay, Jessie?”

“You don’t look good.”

“Y-Yea, I’m fine. Just a little shocked, I guess.” Jessica let out a dry laugh.

She couldn’t let Tiffany caught on to her real feelings about this announcement.

“Congratulations, by the way. I’m so happy for you.” Jessica held Tiffany’s hand.

“Really?”

I would be happy if I’m the one who you are marrying, Tiff.

“Of course I’m happy for you, silly.” Jessica smiled as she squeezed Tiffany’s hand.

“Thanks, Jessie.” Tiffany let out a small smile as she rubbed her thumb on Jessica’s fingers.

“So! When’s the big day?”

Being a good bestfriend, Jessica trying to sound really excited for her bestfriend’s wedding and she hid her sadness behind her smile.

“We haven’t settled on a date yet.”

Jessica noticed that Tiffany had not been really enthusiastic talking about this wedding, and that left her wondering why.

“Hey, you okay? Aren’t you supposed to be happy that he finally proposed?”

Jessica tightened her grip on Tiffany’s hand.

“I don’t know, Jessie.”

“I thought you wanted this?”

“That’s the problem.”

“I was happy when he proposed to me which prompted me to say yes because I have been waiting for this for so long but..”

“The next minute, I was suddenly feeling unsure if this was what I really wanted.”

“I was confused and I needed someone to tell me what to do.”

“The next thing I knew, I was already on my way to your place.”

“And I’m glad I came to you. I was able to forget about it for a while.”

Jessica smiled inwardly hearing that.

“I think you’re just having a nervous breakdown.”

“I heard it’s common for most bride-to-be.”

“You think so?”

“Yeah. I mean, you do love Siwon right?”

Tiffany nodded.

“Then, you should stop feeling unsure about marrying him.”

“ Siwon is a great guy. I’m sure you won’t regret saying yes to his proposal.”

Only God knew how much it killed Jessica in the inside saying that. How she wished she could just convinced Tiffany to not go through with this wedding but she couldn’t bring herself to say it. Not when she knew how much Tiffany loved Siwon. To make it worse, she couldn’t find any flaws in Siwon. He had everything a woman wanted in a man. Handsome, had a stable career, caring and most importantly, he loved Tiffany dearly. How could she possibly compete with Siwon?

“You’re right, Jessie. Maybe I was just nervous and over thinking things.”

“Yeah. That must be it.”

“Now, stop worrying about it and finish up your breakfast.”

Tiffany nodded and smiled.

“Thanks, Jessie. I don’t know what I would do without you.”

Jessica just nodded and proceeded to sip her coffee as her appetite was already long gone.

 

***

 

Yuri was busy flirting with some of the girls in the club when she noticed a familiar figure walking towards the bar.

“Sica?” She furrowed her eyebrows.

“It couldn’t be. Sica never liked going to places like this.”

The figure turned sideways, revealing her side profile. And Yuri was surprised that the familiar figure was indeed Jessica.

She excused herself from the girls and walked to the bar.

“Hey.” Yuri took a seat on a stool next to Jessica.

Jessica turned to see who greeted her.

“Oh, it’s you, Yul.” Lopsided smile formed on Jessica’s lips. She continued to swirl her glass of whiskey.

Yuri was Jessica’s colleague. She was a professional photographer like Jessica and they became close friends after doing many projects together.

“I’m surprised to see you here. I recall that you ever mentioned that you didn’t like clubs.”

“I need to keep my mind off something.” Jessica said before she gulped her whiskey down in one shot. She could feel the back of burned when the whiskey went down .

“Mind spilling some beans?”

“I mind.”

“Besides, it’s nothing that you can help with anyways.” Jessica said as she downed another shot.

“Well, I might not be able to help but I believe it will make you feel better talking your heart out instead of bottling it all inside by yourself.”

“And trying to drown yourself in alcohol doesn’t help much either.”

Jessica tightened her grip on her glass. She had to agree that Yuri had a point.

“What’s bothering you Sica?”

She turned to face Yuri and she could see in Yuri’s eyes that the younger girl genuinely cared about her.

She shifted her attention to the glass in front of her and sighed before continuing.

“Tiffany is getting married, Yul.”

“What?” Jessica could tell that Yuri was surprised.

“When?”

“I don’t know.”

Yuri wasn’t sure how to continue. She knew how in love Jessica was with Tiffany. She recalled when she first found out Jessica’s feelings for Tiffany. It was hard not to notice the twinkling in Jessica’s eyes when she was talking about her days with Tiffany and after a few denials, the older girl finally admitted her feelings for Tiffany to Yuri.

“I’m sorry..” Yuri said as she squeezed Jessica’s shoulder to comfort the older girl. She was sorry for Jessica that the girl she loved was getting married to someone else and she was also sorry for not being able to help Jessica out.

“Don’t be.”

“I guess this is how my 7 years of loving her ends huh?” Jessica laughed bitterly.

“7 freakin’ years of living in the friends’ zone and now, she’s getting married; I guess I’m stuck in that zone for lifetime.” Another shot of whiskey was downed by Jessica.

Jessica wiped something off from her cheek.

“Gosh, I’m so pathetic.” Jessica laughed bitterly as her visions were getting blurry as tears started to form.

Yuri couldn’t imagine what Jessica was going through right now. 7 years of unrequited love and she still wondered how Jessica managed to stay in love that long.

The amount of pain Jessica was feeling after her 7 years of loving ended with nothing was totally unimaginable for Yuri.

Yuri hugged Jessica comfortingly as that was the only thing she could do for Jessica at the moment.

“I can’t imagine the hell you’re going through right now but I just want you to know that I will always be here for you.”

Yuri could feel her shirt was getting wet and a sound of sobbing was heard.

“Just let it out, Sica. It will hurt more if you keep it bottled.”

“It hurts, Yul. A lot.”

“I know..I know.”  Yuri rubbed Jessica’s comfortingly.

Jessica continued crying on Yuri’s shoulder as the throbbing pain in her heart was getting unbearable. She was thankful at the fact that Yuri was there lending her shoulder for her to cry on.

 

 

A/N: Heartbroken Sica again. T.T I'm sorry guys. Please don't kill me. To the subscribers, thank you so much for taking your time out to subscribe this lame fic of mine. Please do leave your thoughts in the comment box because your comment is the one thing that motivates me in writing this fic. To the commentors, thank you so much for leaving your thoughts in the box and I can't thank you guys enough for that. You guys are the best and I heart you guys. <3