Donghae - Chapter 1

10 Days With My Devil

This looks like a laid-back place, and Donghae seems like a nice person…

“Uhh… I want to go with Donghae if possible.” I said.

“With me?” Donghae questioned.

I turned to him, “Yes... Is it okay?”

“Well…”

He doesn’t seem very interested.

“I’m sorry, but I don’t agree with this.” He said after some thought, “You’re going to be toast in ten days anyway. I think it’s better to just toast you now. We won’t give you false hope that way.”

What!?

Heechul coughed awkwardly, “It’s decided. This human chose you. Hae, you look after her.”

“Well,” He looked from Heechul, to me, then back to Heechul, “If you say so…”

He agreed, but I don’t think he likes me being here.

“Even that dog is becoming attached to her. You’re perfect for this.” Heechul said.

“The dog likes me?” I asked.

“Yeah, Choco seems to like you…” Donghae replied, “This is the first time I’ve seen Choco like someone other than me and Hyukjae…”

“Choco?”

“Didn’t I tell you this morning?” He asked, “Did you forget already? Choco. Short for Chocolate. Cute, right?”

“Oh, I see…”

I looked at Choco and he barked at me. It’s strange buy Choco suddenly looks cuter to me. This dog is my savior after all.

“So she’s the special ten thousandth person…” Heechul said.

Huh?

“Yeah… Must be fate.”

W-What are they talking about?

“What do you mean ‘ten thousandth person’?” I asked them.

“That’s none of your business.” Heechul said angrily.

But they brought it up when they were talking about me, so it must be related to me. I don’t think I should keep insisting though.

“By the way,” Donghae started, “What exactly is it that you want to do on the tenth day?”

“Actually, my best friend’s going to get married. Oh! That reminds me, the piano burned down with the room…” My voice trailed off.

That means I won’t be able to practice at all before the wedding day!

“It’ll be alright.”

“Huh? Alright? What do you mean…?”

I heard something open. For some reason, Donghae opened the umbrella he was carrying and started twirling it.

“Um… D-Donghae?” I asked.

He ignored me and started whistling some strange tune. Anyway, what should I do about the piano…? Maybe I can find a piano class… No, there’s no time for that…

“Anyway, let’s go. You’re coming too.” Heechul looked at me.

“Me too?”

“Yes. It’s obvious, isn’t it?” Yesung chimed in.

“We have to keep an eye on you the whole time.” Kyuhyun said, “You have no place to stay, remember?”

That’s right. I have no place to go anymore.

“Let’s go. We all live in the same house.” Sungmin smiled.

“I see…” I replied.

I have nowhere else to go, and I had promised to be under surveillance, so I have to go. I wonder what will happen to me.

 

_________________________________________________________________________________________________

 

 

When we got to the ‘Demon House’, Sungmin showed me to a room, “Why don’t you use this room, _______?”

“Oh, thank you.” I replied.

Sungmin is the easiest to talk to among these demons.

“Um, so what kind of person is Donghae?” I questioned.

“Hae is… Well… If I had to say it in one word…” He thought for a moment, “He’s weird…?”

“Huh?”

“Actually, I think you should decide for yourself after being with him.” Sungmin added.

“Decide for myself…?”

“He must be on the porch now. Why don’t you go talk to him?” He suggested.

I hesitated before replying, “Y-Yeah…”

The porch? I guess he’s right. I should see for myself… I walked out to the porch and- What’s that? I hear some music… Is someone whistling? I’ve heard this melody somewhere… It’s the ‘Fate’ song.

“Um… Donghae?”

He looked up at me, “Oh… The toastee’s here.”

“I have a name, it’s _______.” I replied.

“You can’t sleep?” He asked.

“Yeah… So many things have been happening at the same time. I’m confused…” I said as I leaned against the railing, “What are you doing…?”

“Me?” He asked a bit shocked, “I’m waiting for UFO’s to show up.”

“UFO’s…?”

He smiled brightly, “Yeah, the sky’s clear today so I thought I might get to see them.”

Sungmin was right. This guy is pretty weird…

“So,” Donghae started, “Have you spoken to the others?”

“Hmm… Just a little with Sungmin.” I replied.

“Ming is a little childish. He’s soft toward the toastees too.” Donghae replied, “He becomes sympathetic right away. So he’s quick to make friends with the toastees.”

“Oh, I see…” I replied.

Does he mean that I should talk to Sungmin if I need something?

“Heechul’s lousy with words and tends to preach, so it might be annoying. But he’s a great brother.”

“Brother?”

Donghae looked at me shocked, “Don’t you know? Heechul and Ming are step-brothers.”

He’s so casual about something so complicated.

“Sunggie- Oh I mean Yesung, is really introvert.” Donghae continued, “He’s always alone in his room and doesn’t talk much. He’s a recluse. Come to think of it, he always acts like he’s got a stick up his . But, he’s kind and also very difficult to understand.”

It doesn’t look like that… But it could be true.

“And Kyuhyun doesn’t trust anyone. I think deep down, he doesn’t completely trust us either.” donghae looked a bit hurt, “But he’s smart, and he comes to our rescue sometimes. In any case, no one’s as scary as they look. So, you don’t need to worry too much.”

“O-Okay…” I replied.

So that’s what he’s been trying to tell me.

“Well, what about you?” I asked.

He looked at me confused, “What do you mean?”

“You said no one's as scary as they look. Does that include you?”

“Are you still worried about what I said earlier?” He questioned, “That you should get toasted?”

Anyone would be scared if you said that to them…

“You were against me stay here, weren’t you?”

He smiled, “I’m still against it.”

“What!?”

“But it’s Heechul’s decision so I have no intention of asking you to leave.” He said.

Who is Heechul exactly…?

“Anyways, I find you… Pretty interesting.”

“Huh?” I asked confused.

Donghae continued, “I’ve never seen a human try to negotiate like that with demons before… It’s even more interesting now that I look back on it!”

He laughed. I thought he would be scary because he’s a demon… But he’s laughing.

“You know about me already, don’t you?” I questioned.

“No. Not much.” Donghae replied.

“Really? But you were gathering information for toasting..”

“That’s not my job.” He looked at the ground, then back up at me, “I only guide toastees to heaven.”

“Oh, I see.”

“Everyone has their own role, and they work accordingly.”

“Very business-like.” I said.

“Yes, the Demon Realm isn’t very different from the Human Realm.” Donghae smiled.

Hmm… I can’t even imagine what the Demon Realm might be like. Does it have stuff like the ‘Cauldron of Hell’?

Donghae smiled at me, “My name is Lee Donghae. It means ‘east sea’. Isn’t it a nice name?”

What a beautiful smile… I thought he was scary, but now he seems so innocent. He’s so difficult to understand.

I nodded, “Oh and by the way, I’ve been wondering…”

“What is it?” Donghae asked.

I continued, “The umbrella..”

He’s been carrying it all day, but it’s not raining today.

“Oh, this?” He asked holding it up, “I feel relaxed when I’m carrying it.”

“An umbrella?” I questioned.

“Yes, I love rain days the most.” He smiled.

“You’re weird…” I said.

He looked at me a bit shocked, “Really? I think I am the most normal of the whole lot.”

“The weird ones are the ones who say they aren’t weird.” I replied.

“That’s rude.” He said angrily.

He is weird, but he’s not a bad person.

“I’m _______.” I gave him a soft smile, “I’ll be here for another ten days.”

“Great!” Donghae smiled again, “If you want to become toast before the ten days are over, lemme know.”

I don’t think that’s going to happen…

“And you better not think about living beyond these ten days. It’s just no use.”

“It’s no use?” I asked, “Why’s that?”

“I may not look it but I take my work seriously.” He replied.

“But, a lot could happen in ten days.”

“I doubt it.”

He’s so cold…

Donghae looked back up at the sky, “Hmm, looks like UFO’s won’t show up today… See you, _______.”

I watched as he left the porch and headed back inside. I guess i should head back to my room too. Come to think of it, he called me by my name… He remembered it…. I sighed and headed back to my room. I sighed as I sat down on my bed. I feel so tired… Donghae, I spoke to him for a little while, but he’s still a mystery to me. I wonder what the real Donghae is like… And, am I really going to be dead in ten days? I kept thinking as I fell asleep.



 

The next day…



 

Ugh, I felt so upset that I woke up early… I wonder if the others are up yet?I walked downstairs and- What’s that? I hear some music… Is someone playing a CD? Is that the Flea Waltz? They have CDs like that?

“Good mor- Oh! A piano!?”

“Oh, morning. You’re up already?” Donghae approached me.

It wasn’t a CD, it was Donghae playing the piano… But this wasn’t here yesterday…

“I got it in secret. I wanted to surprise you.” Donghae said, “But it didn’t seem to work.”

“B-But why?” I questioned.

“Huh? Aren’t you going to play the piano for your friend’s wedding?” He asked me confused, “You said so yesterday.”

“Y-Yes, but-”

“Didn’t I say it’ll be alright?” Donghae smiled at me.

He did say it, just like that.

“Thank you so much! I can practice with this now.” I returned the smile.

“But your room burned down, what about the sheet music?” He questioned.

“I’ve memorized it, so I just need to practice and perfect it.” I replied.

“I see.” He smiled again.

His satisfied smile is adorable…

“Alright well,” He moved away from the piano, “Here you go.”

“Yes!” I exclaimed happily.

“Now you can get toasted without any regrets.”

I looked up at him. That angelic smile makes me feel like he isn’t a demon, but he definitely is… Just when I thought he did something nice for me, he had to say something like that… I just don’t understand him. I might get to know him a little in these ten days….

 

Click Here To Go To The Next Chapter

*Coming Soon*

__________________________________________________________________________________________________

A/N: Hey guys! Sorry for the late update! But here’s the first chapter! Summers only a week away for me, which means, more updates! Haha so I hope you all enjoyed this chapter and look forward to the next one!(:

Thankyu to all my Commenters, Readers, Subscribers, and Upvoters!(: