Chapter 1

White Roses

“A fifth victim of the still unknown white rose-serial killer was discovered today. A young woman was found murdered in her apartment earlier this morning. The police still has no lead to who’s behind this or the other four murders. A neighbor of the newest victim claims that-“

Before the news anchor could continue, the TV was turned off. Cursing, an older police officer stood up, hands on his hips. Another officer just sat silent as his partner paced around the room.

“This guy… he’s sick!” The younger officer sighed at the other’s outburst.

“Listen, Kwangsun…” Standing up and putting a hand on his older colleagues shoulder, the younger continued. “I know you want us to catch this psychopath, but we need help. You know that! It’s been six months and we have nothing. No leads at all. I think it’s time to listen to Mr. Park’s advice.”

This time it was the older officer who sighed. “You’re right, Kibum. Just go call him.” The younger nodded and left the room to call in their secret weapon. A detective specialized in figuring out the minds of serial killers and, most importantly, catching them.

 


 

“Hwan Kiwoon, it’s nice to meet you.” The young officer bowed to the older man, who had just arrived at the police station. “I’m Lee Kibum and this Kim Kwangsun.” He said, gesturing to his older colleague.

“The pleasure is mine.” The older man smiled. “I’m Hwan Kiwoon, as you already know, and this is my assistant, Oh Sehun.”

“It’s nice to meet you.” Sehun, the young-looking assistant bowed. Kibum simply smiled, but Kwangsun eyed him suspiciously. He didn’t exactly look like an assistant of a highly professional detective. His hair was dyed a light brown, he was tall, but a bit scrawny and to top it off he wore a stoic and bored expression, like that of a moody teenager.

“I understand we’re dealing with a quite professional serial killer, yes?” Kiwoon stated in a questioning tone.

“Indeed. The white rose-killer, as he’s been dubbed. If you would come along, we’ll show the information we’ve gathered.” Kibum said. The detective and his assistant followed the two officers into a medium-sized room. On one of the walls hung a big whiteboard, with pictures and writings all over.

“So, what do you have, so far?” Kiwoon asked, walking up to the whiteboard studying the pictures.

“Well,” Kwangsun started. “not much to be honest. We know that this guy is clean. He knows what he’s doing. The murders aren’t messy, there’s barely any marks from struggling left on the victims.”

“And he hasn’t drugged them?” Kwangsun looked over at Kiwoon’s assistant when he spoke up.

“No. We haven’t found any traces of drugs in any part of the victims’ bodies. No alcohol either.”

“And the roses?” Kiwoon questioned. Looking at one of many pictures of a white rose.

“All the victims received one a few days before their death. We have spoken to family and friends and it seems to be different how many days pass before he strikes. But so far they’ve all been within a week.”

“So the victims receive a rose and are found dead a few days later. That’s all you know so far?”

“Sadly, yes.” Kibum said. “We’ve sent a message to the different news channels, though. They’ll let their viewers know that if anyone receives one of these white roses, they should contact us immediately.”

“Very well. If anyone calls, let me know as soon as it happens.”

“Of course.”

 


 

“Mommy! Mommy!” Turning away from the laundry she was hanging up, a beautiful woman smiled at her son running towards her.

“What is it, Minseok?” She asked her 9-year-old son, who now stood in front of her.

“Look what I got, mommy!” The calm and happy expression of the mother was suddenly replaced with one of horror and panic. In her son’s hand was a white rose.

“Minseok,” she started and crouched down. She took the rose from her son, before asking very seriously, “where did you get this?”

A frown made it’s way onto the small boy’s face. His mother was no way near as excited about the pretty flower as he was.

“A man gave it to me.” He said, bowing his head down.

“Minseok. Haven’t I told you not to talk to strangers? And more importantly not to take stuff from them?” The boy nodded his head and muttered out a quiet 'sorry, mommy'.

The woman picked up her son and quickly walked inside with him, not bothering to finish hanging up the laundry. She closed and locked the door behind her, and grabbed the phone. She dialed the number of the police.

“You’ve reached the police, how may I help you?”

“Hello, I’m calling about the white roses. My son has received one from a stranger and… I-I don’t know-” The person at the other end interrupted when she noticed the panic in the mother’s voice.

“Miss, how about you give me your address and I’ll send the detectives who’s working with this case? They’ll help you.”

“Y-yes, okay. Thank you.” Minseok looked confused as his mother gave their address to the person on phone. Guilt had built up inside him, he didn’t understand exactly why, but he knew his mother’s was in this weird mood because of him. He frowned again.

 

It didn’t take long before there was a knock on the door. Minseok’s mother slowly opened it, a feeling of relief filling her when she was shown a police badge. She let in the four men with a small smile, but worry in her eyes. Minseok looked up curiously when they entered the living room. He was sitting on the couch, watching whatever was on the TV. The white rose was lying on the coffee table in front of him.

Sehun’s eyes widened slightly when he saw how young the boy was. He looked at Kibum, who looked equally as surprised.

“Mr. Hwan, do you think this might be a prank…?” Kwangsun asked, making it clear that he also found the sudden age drop, from the other grown victims to the 9-year-old, disturbing.

“Sadly, no. It’s not exactly strange behavior for a kil- uh- a man of his profession. He’s most likely trying to gain more attention.” Kiwoon answered. “Mrs. Kim, do you mind if my assistant and I speak with your son in private?”

“I guess not.” Minseok’s mother quietly said. She left the room, along with the two officers, but not before giving her son an encouraging smile.

“Hello. Minseok, right?” Kiwoon looked expectantly at the boy, who simply nodded. “It’s nice to meet you, Minseok. My name is Hwan Kiwoon and this is Oh Sehun.” Once again, Minseok just nodded.

The older detective sighed, completely aware of how bad he was with kids. He had never had kids himself and he rarely had anything to do with kids. Looking at Sehun, he hoped the younger could help him out. Sehun nodded, before turning towards Minseok. He crouched down in front of him. Sehun picked up the rose from the table.

“You got this rose, right? As a gift?” Minseok shrugged.

“It’s pretty.” Sehun stated. A small smile made it’s way onto Minseok’s face. He nodded.

“Was the person you got it from pretty, too?” Minseok opened his mouth to answer, but shut it again. He shrugged again.

“You don’t know?” Minseok shook his head.

“I couldn’t see his face.” Kiwoon raised an eyebrow at that.

“How come?” Sehun asked. Minseok pursed his lips, looking deep in thought suddenly.

“He was wearing a big hat. It was a dark color, I think.” Sehun nodded, looking genuinely interested.

“And a coat! A long coat, like Sherlock Holmes.” Minseok grinned. Sehun smiled at the boy. Kiwoon leaned down and whispered something to him. Sehun nodded.

“Could you see anything of his face? Or his hair?” Minseok shook his head. His grin had disappeared. Sehun patted his knee and smiled.

“It’s okay, thank you, Minseok.” Sehun and Kiwoon left the living room and went to the kitchen, where they found Minseok’s mother speaking with the two officers.

“Oh, Mr. Hwan, we were just speaking with Mrs. Kim and we discussed that, well, maybe it’s best if her son lives with someone else.” Kibum said. “At least for the time being.”

“I think that’s a good idea. He couldn’t really tell us anything, so no new leads yet.” Kiwoon said. “But regarding Minseok staying somewhere else, do you think he would mind staying with someone he doesn’t know well?”

“Why? Who do you have in mind?” Mrs. Kim asked worriedly.

“Sehun.” At the mention of his name, Sehun looked wide-eyed at Kiwoon. “That way I’ll be able to check up on him whenever I need to, and Sehun knows how to use a gun. I’m certain that he’ll keep your son safe.”

“Well, if you think that’s what's best…”

“I do.”