VII.

The Assassin's Love

 

flat,135x135,075,t.jpg

 

 

   Baekhyun woke with a start, sweat dripping from his brow. He shut his eyes instantly, struggling to remember the image of the dream he just had as its remnants swiftly drifted away. 

   A dark castle...a bright light...

   And then he could remember nothing. He sighed and laid back down. 

   They had returned to their home from Lay's cabin before midnight struck. Baekhyun had laid out a blanket on the floor where he, Grandfather and Chanyeol slept. He could hear his cousin's boisterous snores distinctly from beside him as he snorted and mumbled restlessly, as always. On the other side of the room, Kai and Sehun slept, Sehun stretched snugly along the cot while Kai sat with his back to the wall, head resting against the hard wood. Baekhyun could not tell whether he was truly sleeping or not, and he did not plan on getting up to find out.   

   There were so many questions that Baekhyun wanted to ask the two brothers. They had very distinct Jaezinian names, but they couldn't be from Jaezin, since Kai posssessed a magical ability. They had to be from somewhere in Araesia. They must.

   Mustn't they? 

   Baekhyun shook his head free of any thoughts and focused on clearing his mind so that he might be able to return to his slumber. He was just about to close his eyes when a faint rustle sounded, originating from Kai and Sehun's direction. Baekhyun instantly sat up and his cot. 

   The door to the house was open. 

   Baekhyun looked immediately to the two motionless brothers, but they remained as he had last seen them. 

   Instead, a slender, hooded figure stood before them. 

   Baekhyun's eyes widened. Just when he was about to stand and yell at the trespasser, the intruder turned and put a slender finger to his lips. 

   Lay. 

   Baekhyun sat dumbfounded as the healer pulled a small, silver pouch from his sleeve. He then turned back to the two slumbering brothers and stuck his hand into the pouch, muttering something under his breath. 

   What in the world is he doing? Baekhyun didn't know whether he should alert the two, or remain silent.

   His contemplations were delayed as he watched with wonder as Lay extracted a small handful of silver powder from the pouch and began sprinkling some of it onto Sehun.  Baekhyun noticed vaguely that the words the healer quietly mumbled were not of his own tongue.

 

   He's putting a spell on them, Baekhyun realized.

   The powder fell silently onto the unconsious blond's head, disappearing the instant it made contact. When Lay was done with him, he immediately moved onto Kai, repeating the ritual. Baekhyun was amazed at how they both managed to continue sleeping. 

   When the healer was finished, he returned the pouch to his sleeve and turned back to Baekhyun. There was a slight smile on his face. 

   Baekhyun opened his mouth to whisper an inquiry when Lay raised a hand to stop him, then beckoned him towards the door. Immediately, Baekhyun rolled away from his place on the blanket and got up slowly, obligingly following the healer outside.

   "So, what was that?" Baekhyun asked bluntly when they were out of earshot of the house. It was a cold night, one that Baekhyun didn't particularly appreciate, considering the fact he was in his bedclothes. The trees twisted and swayed as the wind blew at them, seemingly veering towards the bright moon.

   Lay chuckled lightly and shrugged at him. 

   "You should ask your Grandfather," Lay said, looking up silently at the full moon. It cast a pale light across the healer's smiling face. 

   Baekhyun's eyebrows furrowed together. "Why? Did he ask you to do this?"

   "Yes."

   "Why?"

   "My parents taught me to never question that man's wishes," Lay answered. "He sees things. And he thinks about what's best for others when he does; what's best for the world, and for those he loves. So when he asks me to do something, I know I am not merely doing it because a frail, old man requests a favour of me, but because I know my deed will contribute to a much greater cause than I could ever think it to be."  

   Baekhyun fell silent for a moment. He had never thought of his Grandfather in that way before. Then again, it was only recently that day that he'd realized he did not know much of anything about his Grandfather in the first place.

   "So...what did you do exactly?" he asked.

   "I blocked their minds," Lay answered simply. 

   "What...what does that mean?" Baekhyun inquired curiously. 

   Lay looked to him and grinned, shrugging playfully. "I'm not really sure whether I am supposed to tell you or not." Then he lifted a hand and clasped Baekhyun on the shoulder. "I must return to my parents now."

   Parents? All Baekhyun could remember of the healer's cabin was that it was dark and bleak, full of numerous bottles and herbs, and it was situated directly beside a giant, twisted tree, possibly the largest one in the entire forest. 

   "Parents?" Baekhyun questioned aloud. "I'd thought you lived alone." 

   All Lay did was smile and release Baekhyun from his grasp before he turned back to the forest and disappeared amongst the trees. 

   It might have been Baekhyun's imagination, but he'd thought there was a fragment of unsuppressed sorrow in the healer's eyes.

 

96.jpg

 

   Sehun's eyelids felt as if they weighed a thousand pounds. The arms that lay at his side were as heavy as lead, and his legs felt so lethargic he feared himself completely incapable of walking. 

   , he his side, every bone in his body protesting at the small action. Just what did he do the other night that made him feel so horrible...

   And then he remembered. 

   Sehun shot up with a gasp, whipping his blond head around as he surveyed his surroundings. He took in a small, humble home constructed plainly of wood, sunlight streaming in through the windows - when a grinning head butted into his line of vision.

   "Finally awake?" the boy asked in a deep, masculine voice. He had a big smile on his face, and he smelled faintly of ale. 

   Sehun instantly flinched away from him, grabbing behind his shoulder for the familiar feel of his bow. His hands came back empty. 

   "Oh, you're looking for your bow and quiver, right?" the enthusiastic male said. He motioned to the space beside where he knelt."They're right here, with Kai's things. Kai won't allow me to touch them, but if you tell me I can, then he won't mind, right?" 

   Sehun's mind was reeling. Where was he? How did this peculiar boy know who his brother was? Where was Kai, anyway?

   "Ah, I'm so rude," the boy said, hitting himself on the forehead with the ball of his hand. "I haven't introduced myself! My name is Chanyeol!"

   He stuck a large hand out expectantly, his grin remaining intact.

   When Sehun didn't answer, Chanyeol laughed and grabbed hold of Sehun's palm himself, shaking it energetically. "And you look confused! Nice to finally meet you!" 

   Sehun pulled his hand away from the hyper male. "Where am I? Where is Kai?" 

   "He's in town with Grandfather. He was unwilling to go at first, but Grandfather forced him. Whenever he wants Kai to do something, he has to threaten your safety, or Kai won't do anything at all. He's incredibly serious, your brother. At times, very scary too." The boy - Chanyeol - shuddered at his thoughts. Then, "Since you're awake, I don't have to watch you anymore! Let's go to town and find them together!"

   He pulled at Sehun's arm and hauled him up, making every cell in his body cry out. Instantly, he felt dizziness attack his mind. 

   "Let...let me back down," he slurred, shutting his eyes.

   "No can do!" Chanyeol said. He was really beginning to irritate Sehun. "Lay said you have to get active right when you become conscious. I don't understand why, but it must be some unknown healer knowledge that only healers know, so I have to listen." He patted Sehun strongly in the back, making him want to retch again. "Now let's go!" 

 

~~~

 

   There was only one word Sehun could describe for the streets of Araesia: breathtaking. He could tell that everyone around him saw the place as ordinary, like some typical routine each citizen possessed each day. But to Sehun, what he saw was completely foreign to his eyes. 

   It was magic. 

   All around the market, every single human being was utilizing some sort of power. There was always somewhere to look.

   To his left, there was a woman selling plants, seeds, and herbs. They were selling fast, Sehun could tell, and whenever she almost ran out, she would turn to the moist earth beside her and whisper a few words, turning her eyes to a golden hue. Then more plants would sprout from the ground in a matter of seconds, and she would gather its fruit and seeds and begin to sell again. 

   To his right, he saw a burly blacksmith sharpening a sword with his arm, sparks flying off his skin as he did so. Beside him, a similarly muscular young man continuously grabbed handfuls of steel chunks and rods and was forming the weapons with his bare hands, not a single burn or scratch visible on his skin.

   To Sehun's front, there were multiple children milling about, laughing and shouting to each other in high-pitched tones. Sehun realized startedly that they each were exactly alike, both in physical apparel and features and in their playful mentality.

   "Lee Chan Byul!" a woman's voice yelled further ahead. 

   All of a sudden, Sehun saw the children disappear into thin air one by one. 

   What...? 

   And then Sehun saw the child - just one child, now - run up to his mother and hug her legs. She smiled and scooped him up him her arms, multiple pots and bags trailing the air in a line behind her as she brushed past Sehun. 

   Everywhere around him, there were thing flying and floating about, just like when he first set eyes on the Araesian castle. There was too much to describe, too much to see that the scenery around him seemed to overflow his mind.

 "So you're probably not from around here," Chanyeol said, his deep tone barging into his thoughts. 

   "Uh, what?" he asked. 

   "You don't have to hide it," the tall boy said, giving him his signature grin. "I don't like to pry anyway. Besides, I can see it all over your face. You're seeing things that you've never seen before right now." 

   Sehun's cheeks pinked. "No - I - I just haven't been here before - " 

   "Kai has teleportation," Chanyeol interrupted. "Since he's your brother, shouldn't you have a power too?" 

   Sehun blanched. "Uh - " 

   "Then again you don't look alike in the least," Chanyeol interrupted once more. "Kai's rather dark-skinned, compared to you. You are incredibly pale. Have you not gone out in the sun ever before in your lifetime? I don't think - " 

   Sehun looked at the tall male wonderingly, curious as to why he stopped his constant banter. Chanyeol was staring straight ahead of him at a small hut called Baen's Tavern

   "That's an alehouse, is it not?" Sehun asked. "Do you drink?"

   Chanyeol gulped and looked over at Sehun. He smiled and motioned around at the market. 

   "Why don't you go around looking for Kai by yourself for now?" he suggested urgingly. "I...have someone to meet! If you find Grandfather and your brother, don't mention that I was anywhere near this place. Okay?" He grinned once more and walked straight into the direction of the tavern. 

   Sehun raised his eyebrows. He never figured the hyper young man to be a drunkard. 

   Shrugging, Sehun began to continue his stroll once more. 

   It was so strange, walking amongst a bunch of people who did not stare at you suspiciously as you passed by. Especially since he wore his bow and quiver upon his back, and he possessed a naturally serious face. Growing up, he had been a giant target of suspicion. 

   Suddenly, Sehun felt a tug at his pant leg. He looked down to see a small, dirty-faced boy grinning up at him. 

   "Hello?" Sehun said, feeling slightly awkward. In Jaezin, children were never allowed to roam freely, not unless they wanted to get whipped. However, Sehun didn't think rules were the same around here.

   "Hello?" the little boy said. Sehun jumped back. The boy had the exact same voice as he did. 

   "Did he scare you?" 

   Sehun turned around abruptly to see a male looking around his height and age, with pale skin and a dark hood over his light hair. He had a noticably lovely face. Sehun's heart skipped a beat. 

   "N- no, not at all," Sehun said, feeling his face redden. 

   The boy laughed. "He means no harm," he assured Sehun, smiling. "He just likes to scare people, and this time he succeeded."

   "Ah," Sehun said sheepishly. He was never one to be good at conversation, and this was no exception. However since now he and Kai were both undercover, he had to act as if he was of a friendly nature. "He...was quite frightening, indeed."

   Luhan laughed again. "He would be delighted to hear that, I presume, but it seems as if he's run off to find someone else to pester." He cocked his head at Sehun and narrowed his eyes at him. "You...You're a strange one."

   Sehun gulped and he could feel his palms begin to become moist with his sweat. "How...how so?"

   Luhan shook his head and garnered a smile once more. "I cannot read you. This is the very first time I am unable to read a person."

   Sehun did not understand a word he said, but he resolved not to ask.

   The boy held out a slender hand. "My name is Luhan." 

   Sehun raised his hand hesitantly, and after a short moment, took Luhan's. Instantly, a sort of shock went through him, making him gasp out. He felt his eyes burn with a sudden pressure, and as he looked forward, he noticed that the same was happening to the boy in front of him, for his eyes were glowing with a pinkish light. And then it was over. 

   Sehun looked bewilderedly at Luhan, ripping his hand from his grasp. 

   "What was that?" Sehun demanded. "What did you do to me?" 

   To Sehun's confusion, Luhan looked just as perplexed as he did. "I...I did nothing," he said. He met Sehun's eyes and dropped his gaze right after. "You...you can't be." 

   "What?" Sehun asked. "What do you mean?" 

   The beautiful boy's lovely face was crumpled from his conflicting feelings. Then he turned away and stalked off in the other direction. 

   Sehun stared after him. He could feel his heart thumping almost angrily in his chest, and he knew without prior knowledge that his face was coloured a bright red. Just who was that boy...

   "Sehun?" a familiar voice asked. 

   Sehun turned around to see his brother standing in front of him, multiple sacks gathered in his arms. An old man stood beside him, giving him a wise smile, while a shorter male brunnette stood at his other side, carrying a similar load. 

   Sehun almost laughed. Kai looked like a commoner's boy. 

   "It's you!" Kai exclaimed. "You're awake! You're okay!" 

   Without warning, Kai dropped all the sacks he held and buried Sehun into an embrace. Immediately he felt his heart begin to accelerate even faster. 

   "You are okay," Kai said, the relief plain in his voice. 

   "Of course I am," Sehun said. "Why wouldn't I be?" 

   "Yah! You dropped all of the bags! You bumbling fool!" the old man huffed behind them. 

 

96.jpg

 

   "Luhan!" Eunhee shouted from outside his door. "Luhan, what are you doing? Did you find them? Let me in!" 

   It can't be. 

   Luhan had thought that such a thing did not exist. He'd thought the entire concept to be an old Araesian myth. 

   "Luhan!" 

   Luhan loved Eunhee. It was the only practical thought that Luhan had. He had grown up with Eunhee, had taken care of her, listened to her as she listened to him. He loved her

   "Luhan, open the door!" 

   It did not happen, Luhan began to convince himself. I did not feel a thing when I saw him, I did not feel a thing when I touched him.

   I was mistaken. 

 

 

 

   There is no such thing as soulmates.

 

 

 

 

A/N: Thank you for reading the seventh chapter! I promise I will fulfill my update days and update tomorrow! The past week has been a bit hectic for me is all :3 I apologize if this chapter seems a bit rushed because it sort of was (>_<) I had somewhere to be in the morning and I was tutoring my cousin during the afternoon! Please excuse mistakes because it's only half proofread xD
                           Please leave a comment at the bottom and subscribe if you want more! 
                           And a BIG thank you to those who have upvoted! :D

 

tumblr_m7rme1vhy01qb30uro1_500.gif

P.S, how do you all feel about the length of the chapters? Do you think they're too long?

Because I could shorten them if you'd like ~ Just tell me and I will!

thank you again~