IX.

The Assassin's Love

 

      

96.jpg

 

   Luhan sighed as he looked at Eunhee's empty bed once more.

   She had not returned, after all. Luhan had searched all throughout the marketplace, reaching out with his mind so that he might touch the princess's and find out about her whereabouts. But no such thing had happened, which led the light-haired boy to return to the palace, in hopes that the princess had returned by her own qualms.

   But she hadn't. 

   He turned and started making his way back to his room. The princess was bound to return anyways, even without his constant worrying. 

   Toddling rays of sunlight shone through the palace windows, reminding Luhan that it was indeed already dawn and he had spent the antire night awake without sleep.

   He closed his eyes as he walked, trying to push the blond-haired boy's face from his mind. 

   Not once had Sehun left his thoughts since he had last seen him. It was as if the tall, serious-faced boy was somehow imbedded into him, like how a splinter pierces through one's skin and refuses to detach. 

   No, it was not like a splinter. A splinter wouldn't be so hard to get rid of. And, no matter how much Luhan denied the thought, a splinter wouldn't feel, sound, or look as pleasant.

   Even then, Luhan could feel a sort of invisible string that held the two of them together, like an unresolved presence that was not even sure it was present in the first place. Luhan couldn't even think to describe such a bond, for it was something he never experienced before.

   He thought back to a few hours before, when he had been blown back by a rogue gust of wind, straight into Sehun. 

   He had seen the gold falter from the boy's eyes, he was sure of it. He had power. 

   What confused Luhan was, Sehun looked as confused and shocked as he did. That was why when Sehun scrambled to his feet and began to run away, Luhan did not pursue him. 

   How strange! For one to be unaware of one's magical ability was unheard of, at least to Luhan. He must have been feeling greatly conflicted at that moment.

   For a sparse period of time, Luhan pondered whether he could speak to Sehun using his telepathy - their strange bond was incredibly strong - but he rejected the speculation almost immediately. He would try to have the least to do with that boy, no matter the circumstances. 

   Luhan's thoughts were halted when he realized that the door to his bedroom was pushed wide open.

   Apprehension began to build in him, when he suddenly felt a familiar aura drifting through the opening of the room. He almost collapsed with relief. 

   Walking inside as quietly as he could, Luhan approached his bed, where the princess lay in a deep slumber, tangled hair lying in a shimmering pool around her head. 

   Eunhee had always looked mermerizingly beautiful when she was asleep, and now was no exception. The warm feeling that Luhan usually felt whenever he set his eyes on Eunhee took place in his chest and stomach, and he sat down slowly beside her, twirling a few strands of her soft hair into his fingers. 

   He loved Eunhee. That in itself was unquestionable. Ever since their childhood, Eunhee was the only one for him. One small encounter with a pale-skinned male could not change such a sure concept, no matter the legends and myths Luhan had learned as a child. 

   Feeling fatigue wash over him, he lay down beside Eunhee and shut his eyes, gently letting his mind connect with hers. 

   Eunhee was dreaming. 

   Luhan had been practicing this trick for a while now; how to enter one's dreams. Presently, he did not have enough power to actually materialize inside one's fantasy, but he was still able to see inside their mind and watch the images that flew past their unconscious mentality. 

   Eunhee was standing in a vast, green field. Flowers of every color surrounded her, though none could rival the beauty of the princess. 

   A headband of smaller flower buds was woven through her hair, and she seemed to be busying herself with weaving a basket of twigs, when she suddenly smiled. 

   "I know you are watching me, Luhan," she said fondly, looking up at the sky. "I can always feel you here, no matter how discreet you try  to be." 

   Luhan smiled, wishing he could reply. 

   The princess went back to weaving the basket. "You are probably wondering why I disappeared so randomly into the night," she said casually. "In truth, it was mainly because of your incompetence." She spoke the words with a teasing air, so it didn't feel provoking at all to Luhan. 

   "You wouldn't speak to me at all when you returned, and you even refused to open your mind to me and share just what exactly was bothering you. I suspected that you hadn't carried out what I asked you."

   A nearby bird flew towards her and perched lightly on her shoulder. She merely smiled at it and retrieved a seed from the half-completed basket, offering it to the bird. It chirped delightedly, scooped it up in its beak and took flight once more. 

   "I don't suspect you'll bother to tell me now," she said. "No matter. I've done the deed myself. Tomorrow, the two I'd requested you to speak to will start work here in the castle." 

   The fantasy sky was morphing and changing in color and hue, varying from yellow to green to blue. All of a sudden, it darkened to a deep, rich violet. And then, slowly, an eclipse appeared. A shadow drowned the dream world, engulfing Eunhee entirely, until all that remained of her was a dark, petite form.

   "It's going to be soon," she said, in a way that made Luhan wonder whether she was speaking to him or herself. 

 

   "It is finally time for the Twelve to stand together against our enemies." 

 

flat,135x135,075,t.jpg

 

   "Do you think they're going to return?" Chanyeol asked his older cousin curiously. 

   Baekhyun watched the younger, taller boy pace around the inside of the musty horse stables anxiously. He wasn't surprised by Chanyeol's concern. Once the taller boy began to harbour a liking towards someone, he wouldn't change his mind about them. If they disappeared without reason after he gained that mindset, his cousin would be heartbroken. 

   "They'll come back," Baekhyun reassured him lightly. "It's still morning. They probably went out for a walk together and they're just not back yet."

   Grandfather had sent the two out to shovel the manure out of the stables, but at the moment, only Baekhyun was carrying the work load. He wiped a bead of sweat dripping down the side of his face and after heaving another lump of excrements onto the wheelbarrow, he dug his shovel into the damp ground and leaned on it, facing his cousin.

   "Besides," Baekhyun said, "you saw Grandfather. He doesn't look worried about them at all. Quite delighted, in fact."

   "What's that supposed to mean?" Chanyeol asked, returning the shorter boy's gaze with a curious one.

   "It means that whatever they did today, is what they were destined to do," Baekhyun answered, smiling.

   After a moment, Chanyeol grinned back at him, looking satisfied by his response. 

   "You going to help me shovel all this horse now?" Baekhyun asked. 

   Chanyeol laughed. 'Of course. Where's the extra shovel?" 

   Baekhyun pointed at the area beside the door. He watched amusedly as Chanyeol walked over to it and grasped the handle, then dropped it almost immediately. 

   Baekhyun made an irritated face. "What - " 

   "Sehun's back!" Chanyeol exclaimed. He bolted out the stables, tiny sparks of flame flying from his bouncing hair in his excitement.

   Baekhyun sighed, distinguishing the spreading sparks with his boot before jogging out to catch up to his eccentric cousin. 

   The blond-haired boy looked extremely tired. There were bluish bags under his eyes, round his face, making it immediately evident that he did not sleep at all the past night. 

   Chanyeol bounded up to him and greeted him with an over-enthusiastic hug. 

   "Where did you disappear to?" he asked, grinning at the pale boy after unwrapping his arms around his slender form. "I thought you weren't going to come back!"

   Sehun looked up at Chanyeol with bloodshot eyes. 

   "Where...is my brother?" he asked. There was a trace of strain in his voice.

   Chanyeol shrugged. "I don't know, we thought he was with you." 

   Before Sehun could so much as sigh, Chanyeol began to launch a number of questions upon the poor boy. 

   "So where were you? Did you go into town? Did you go to the tavern? Did you meet any girls? Why didn't you invite me? Were you out all  night? Did any guards catch you? Did - "

   All of a sudden, Chanyeol reared back, his hair and clothes blowing back as if hit by a strong gust of wind.

   Baekhyun stumbled as the taller boy fell into his arms. Arduously, he pushed his cousin back up, and opened his mouth to rebuke the pale boy for pushing his cousin when he found that Sehun looked just about as shocked as he did.

   "What was that about?" Chanyeol asked, looking around. "Is there a storm coming from somewhere? I mean, I know I am more on the  skinny side but I didn't think I could ever topple over as if I were a stick under a breeze."

   Baekhyun looked to Sehun scrutinizingly. "Was that - "

   Then, without warning, Kai materialized directly between Sehun and the two cousins, a bow and quiver strapped along his back. 

   Baekhyun and Chanyeol jumped back, startled. 

   Before they could say anything, the tan boy turned to his brother. 

   "The old man requested that we hunt for him," he said. "I brought your bow and your arrow. Do you think you are healthy enough to teleport again? The forest is outside these walls." 

   "Grandfather!" Chanyeol corrected. "Not 'old man.'"

   Kai ignored the taller boy. "Well?"

   Baekhyun wondered vaguely if Kai could see how tired Sehun looked. But then again, Sehun always had this look on his face when he saw Kai, and it was not a look that said he would decline a request from his brother, no matter the intention. 

   "Of course," Sehun said, an obvious look of relief crossing his face. "Let's go."

   And Kai clasped both hands over his brother's shoulders before the two disappeared as if they were smoke in a storm.

 

exo_k_kai_teleportation_logo_by_jinsuke0

 

   Kai can tell that there is something on Sehun's mind that he isn't telling him. 

   He can see it in the hunch of his brother's shoulders, and by the way his fingers clench and unclench around the bow in his hand, turning his knuckles a fine white. 

   He had already shot a number of birds, which Kai had strung along his belt as he accompanied his brother in his practice. 

   "Before I tell you what is on my mind, I pray you tell me what is on yours," he said hopefully when Sehun had his bow down. "I know that you are keeping something from me. If you wish to keep it secret, you may, but you've never hidden anything from me before." 

   Sehun continued to look forward, not meeting the tan boy's gaze. "I know I haven't," he said, sounding disappointed in himself. "I didn't think I ever would. But I think I should keep these thoughts to myself. For now." He looked up and smiled at Kai, searching for a hint of understanding in his eyes. 

   Kai paused for a moment before sighing. "I supposed you have the right," he said reluctantly.

   Their boots crunched softly on the forest ground, where multiple leaves and twigs were scattered.  All around them was the sound of pure nature, a sound of serenity that both boys enjoyed a great deal. 

   "Well, are you going to tell me what your news is, or are you too prejudiced by my silence that you will keep it to youself as well?" Sehun asked playfully.

   Kai smiled. "I will do no such thing," he said. "And you are correct, I do have news. Good news."

   Sehun stopped walking, Kai following suit.

   "Do you mean that you have made progress in our mission?' Sehun asked, eyes widening.

   Kai nodded. There was a strange feeling in his stomach, and it was not nearly as earnest as the look Sehun was giving him at the moment.

   "Last night...I encountered the princess," he said. For some reason, Kai felt his heart beat slightly faster. He did not understand why it would; he'd never been nervous when mentioning a target before.

   Sehun's mouth dropped open. "You mean...you were in the palace?!" he asked.

   Kai shook his head. "No, she was outside by herself. I do not know why, but nonetheless she acquainted herself with me in a friendly manner."

   Sehun nodded, seeming as if it were a bit difficult for him to process exactly what Kai was saying.

   "What did she say?" he asked.

   "She simply asked my name, and introduced herself to me."

   Sehun nodded again, waiting for him to continue.

   "And then...she asked if I wished to work at the palace."

   Sehun nodded once more - and then froze. He looked to his brother, a shocked expression crossing his face. 

   "She said...what?" 

   Kai smiled and slung an arm over his brother's shoulder. 

   "We start tomorrow. Get your boots shined, and pick out your favorite puffy shirt. We're going to be in a real palace."  

 

P-n4oHi9mbRebGP7jXT5Br3OLgEcwdhmJuCKC0KM

 

   Kris blasted upwards, his hair flying back as he took flight. He could only feel this alive when he was flying, when his feet ceased to touch the ground and he no longer felt like just another commoner in the vast kingdom of Araesia. He felt strong, and capable, and above all, powerful.

   He captured the rampant arrow from the air with a quick seize of his hand and reluctantly returned to the young, lanky trainee. 

   "Next time, aim straighter," Kris said sternly, slapping the arrow back into the boy's hands. "You're not hunting geese. You're aiming for that target."

   The young adolescent hung his head and nodded guiltily. 

   "I'm sorry," he said, looking down. "I'll do better next time."

   Kris locked his jaw, feeling slightly irritated at the boy's easily relenting nature. Then he gripped the bow in the boy's hands, pulling it upwards to face the target. "Don't let your hands waver. Your arms must be strong and stable, as all knights must be if you wish to become one. If not, you will surely miss."

   The boy nodded again, stringing the bow with another arrow. He missed a second time. 

   Kris sighed. "Alright Junhong, that's enough. It may be best that you gain some muscle before you train in archery. Leave the arena."

   As he always did, the lanky boy nodded again, blinking his eyes hard before he departed.

   When Kris was sure that the boy had left, he turned to the target and fired two arrows. They hit the center simultaneously with a strong thwack. He smirked, twirling the bow in his hand expertly. 

   "Very impressive, Kris," a familiar feminine voice said suddenly, making Kris jump. 

   He turned around instantly, lowering his head. 

   "Princess," he said said accordingly. "What brings you here?" 

   Eunhee smiled. She wore a lavender hood over her lovely head, a long satin dress covering her slight body. "How are you faring with Junhong?"

   Kris swallowed.

   "Well enough," he said. "He is a fast learner."

   Eunhee laughed. "You do not need  to be dishonest with me, Kris," she said. "I can tell whether you are being untruthful or not."

   Kris paused. Then he scoffed and smiled, lifting his head to look at the princess.

   "Of course," he said. "Well, if you wish to know, he is incorrigible. Although I have been relentlessly training him for a fortnight already, he is still as weak as when I started with him. Tell me again, why you demanded on this sort of groundless guidance."

   Eunhee smiled. "He has the potential to be a great warrior, is all," she answered. "And when the time comes, we will need him here in Araesia, fighting for us."

   Kris highly doubted it. All the boy would be useful for would be to shine shoes, like he did before the princess took him in. He didn't dare speak his mind, however. 

   "Is that all you came to ask, your Highness?" he asked, bowing his head again. 

   The princess stepped closer to him and gently lay a hand across his shoulder. 

   Startled at her sudden touch, Kris looked up and connected his stare with her large, doe-like eyes. 

   "Tomorrow, I will be entrusting very important people with you," she said deeply. "You must watch over them and train them to be prominent palace guards. At the end of each day, you must report to me of their progress, and their competence regarding weaponry and combat." She searched the tall boy's eyes. "This is important, do you understand me?" 

   Kris stared at her for a moment longer. And then, slowly, he nodded. 

   The princess smiled and released him from her grasp. "Good," she said, sounding content. "I will send them to the arena at dawn tomorrow. Be ready."

   Kris nodded again and took another deep bow. "As you wish, your Highness."

   Eunhee remained as she was for a moment longer. 

  "Kris," she said.

   He rose once more, curious as to what else she had to say. "Yes, Princess?" 

   She gave him a chiding look. "When are you going to contact your brothers?"

   Kris froze in spot. He felt the familiar stony expression take over his face, and although he knew that it was unmannerful and even disrespectful in the presence of the princess, he turned his back to her and picked a bow from the quiver upon his back.

   "I do not believe that it will be anytime soon," he said icily. "Farewell, your Highness. I bid you a good day."

   Eunhee hesitated once before she moved away towards the door. "Very well, Kris," she said.

   When she reached the door, she turned back and said in a clear voice so that the knight would hear her,

   "I did not expect anything more from you."

   And she departed. 

   Kris let out a hard breath, clamping his eyes shut. Then he raised his bow and shot angrily at the target.

   It missed.

 

 

 

 

 

A/N: Thank you so much for reading the ninth chapter!
            I am SOO SORRY that I didn't update last weekend! I was not home, if that makes it any better (>_<) I also have to warn you that I will not be updating next weekend...I'm going to compete in a music competition in New York :) Wish me luck! 

            Please leave a comment at the bottom and tell me what you thought about this chapter! :D Also, subscribe if you like!

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO LUHAN!

3199653437_1_2_k4WnKJXn.gif

And my sincere condolences to the sunken ship in South Korea.  I pray that more survivors may be found and returned to their families. 

#PRAYFORSOUTHKOREA

t1larg.ship.afp.gi.jpg