Secret Revealed

Then There Was You

The tension in the room was thick.

Gang Mi Sun and her mother sat there, staring at each other, waiting for either of them to speak up. Mi Sun wanted to scream at her, throw things at her, but she couldn't. She was extremely pissed off to do anything. She wasn't even aware that her eyes were leaking of tears. She kept on clenching her hand in to a fist. She was about to start punching if her mother didn't say anything. On the other side, her mother sat there, staring at her, sobbing. She hated that her daughter had to find out like this. It was not her intention. She was going to tell her sooner than later. But seeing her ex-husband, marry and become a father to those other kids made her angry. She had no right to be though, it was her decision to leave.

"How can you do this to me?" Mi Sun said. Her mother blinked and saw her daughter, looking at her, hard. She know her daughter was expecting her to say something but she couldn't.

"Hello! Is anyone there! How can you ing do this to me!" she yelled.

Mi Sun hated her mother for keeping this secret. Growing up was hard for her. Seeing her classmates talk about their fathers doing this and that and them buying this for them, made her envy them.

Every year, her town held the annuel Father, Daughter Dance. She hated that time of year because she always saw her classmates talk about the dresses they were going to buy. Not only that, the girls made fun of her. On her fifteen birthday, her mother's brother took her to the Father, Daughter Dance. It was her worst nightmare. While her uncle talked to some of the girls fathers, Mi Sun was ambushed by her classmates.

"Why are you even here?" one said.

"Yeah. This is a Father daughter dance not a Uncle Niece dance" the girls laughed at her. 

"Why don't you leave this dance before you distroy it for us. Come back when you have a real father who thinks you are pretty enough to attend this dance." the main girl from the group said. They all laughed at her. Mi Sun wasn't even aware that she was inside a circle of girls. Mi Sun was about to leave when one of the girls shoved her, causing her to bump onto another girl. The next day and the days after that, she was the laughing stock of the school. She always asked her mother why her father wasn't present in her life. All her mother said was that God needed him.

She didn't know how stupid she was before. She was too dumb to even think about what her mother always told her when she asked about her father. Every single time the story changed.

"I'm sorry ---" she said.

"Damn right you are. How could you even do this to me!" Mi Sun interrupted her mother.

"I didn't mean too, sweetie. I was just protecting you--"

"Protecting me of what? Huh? Of what!" Mi Sun yelled. She started cussing at her mother. She didn't care about hurting her. She deserved it because she hurt Mi Sun. She felt like she was being punished. So now her mother deserves to be punished.

"ENOUGH!" said her mother. She stood up, causing her chair to fly across the room. "YOU WANT TO KNOW WHY HE LEFT YOU! DO YOU!" Mi Sun stared at her with red eyes. If she thought that her mother couldn't hurt her anymore, she was wrong. Her mother was staring at her, hard. she went on. "BECAUSE HE NEVER WANTED YOU! HE DIDN'T WANT A CHILD MESSING UP HIS LIFE HE HAD GOING! YOU WERE A DISTRUBANCE TO HIM. HE WANTED ME TO ABORT YOU THE FIRST TIME I TOLD HIM ABOUT YOU! HE WOULD RATHER YOU BE DEAD THAN HAVE HIS LIFE GO DOWN THE DRAIN! HE DIDN'T LOVE YOU!"

Mi Sun's world began to shatter the moment she heard her mother say that her father didn't love her. It was a stab to the back. She hated her, hated her for hurting her. She started to cry, hard.

"Oh sweetie, I am so sorry" Her mother made her way to her daughter. She was about to hug her when Mi Sun stood aburply and left the apartment. She couldn't stand to be around her mother she hated her and her father. No, she didn't hate her mother, she disliked her. It was her father she hated. For leaving her and her mother.

****

"I got here as fast as I could" her best friend said as her reached her. "Is everything okay?"

"She told me . . . she finally told me." she said, basically to no one. she stared at the swings as the wind swinged them. Brian took a seat across from her.

"Tell me about it" Mi Sun told her best friend about what went down. How she heard her mother talking on the phone with a guy, telling him to leave her alone and live his life with his family, to them arguing and cussing, and that one neighboor next door banging on the side wall telling them to be quiet.

"How do you know she was talking to your father?" she finally looked at him. she sighed.

"She called him Gang" Brian sat there, speechless. So many questions began to surface but he knew better than to ask her because one, he knew the answer already and two, they were just plain stupid.

The wind started to pick up as dark clouds started to roll in. Mi Sun let out a shiver.

"Here." he took off his sweater and covered her, hugging her in the process. "Let's get out of here before it starts to pour on us and causes the wind to blow us into the next county" Mi Sun laughed and nodded.

It was a bit to chilly for a summer evening. As they walked to his house, the sirens began to sound. As Rain started to pour down, Mi Sun and Brian were safely inside his house, in his room.

"So what happens next?" He said as they listened to music.

"I don't know. I don't want to go home. I just cannot face my mother right now." he nodded.

"Sun, do you think your mother is telling you the truth about your father."

"What do you mean?" She asked, confused.

"Well, you always told me what she told you when you asked about your father. Wasn't it a bit odd how she said something different then added about your father passing away like, she knew she said something different but caught herself right away and finished with . .  you know God taking him?"

Mi Sun stared at him for a second. She sighed and sat down on his bed.

"I don't know what to believe anymore." she rested her head in her hands. Brian looked at her, debating whether or not to tell her. What the heck, he thought.

"Sun," he crouched down infront of her, lifting up her face. "Why don't you look for your father?"

"What?"

"Yeah, why don't you look for him and ask him why he left you and your mother." she blinked. She didn't even think about that. If he was right about this being another lie from her mother, why not go to the person directly. She didn't know where to start though.

"How do I even do that, Brian. I don't even know where he resides at."

"Gang Duh! Where you were born!" He thumped her forehead.

"Ouch! You Punk, that hurt! You babo, I was born here."

"Yeah, I think I would of known if you were conceived on my bedroom floor." she grabbed his pillow and smack him with it!

"Ah you !" they both laughed. After two minutes of laughing, "But seriously, Sun, I doubt you were born here. I advise you look at your birth certificate, if you were not born here but somewhere else, I think that you should find your father and get his side of the story."

"But what if he doesn't want to see me or confirms everything my mother told me."

"One way to find out, love." Brian wiggled his eyebrows and smiled. If what Brian is telling her is the right thing to do, then what the hell. If this is what she has to do then let it be.

She would visit her father and find those answers she seeks.