Realizations

アカナシアの物語 (The Story of Akanashia)
物語

現実化

***

     Ryosuke had been sulking in his room.  He didn’t know how the rest of his life would even go anymore.  He’d never been more uncertain of himself in his whole life.  He had spent almost five hours alone pitying himself, contemplating the uncertain future, when a maid came up through the hatch in the floor.  He didn’t personally know her, but just knowing she was a Hikoku citizen he felt a surge of anger.  “Go away!” he told her, “I don’t want to see any of you people!”

      The woman’s face was blank, but she came up anyway.  Ryosuke yelled at her to leave and threw pillows at her, but she only bowed to him in response.  In confusion, he stopped and stared at her.  He was surely going mad, he thought as he gripped his hair tightly.  I've got to stay calm--this is no way for a prince to act.  Surely his mother would tell him that.  “Your meal is ready downstairs.  I am to you to the dining room.”

      He frowned.  “I don’t wish to eat,” turning to the wall, he tried to ignore her presence but she didn’t leave.  It was then that he realized how hungry he actually was.  The last thing he had eaten was…breakfast before he left to go downtown on Alliance Day.  When was it anyway?  He looked back at the maid and she lifted the flap, “Please follow me.”

      In pure hunger, he followed her.  She had opened the flap and led him down a ladder that she removed after they got down.  They then went down about ten flights of stairs to what she told him was the third floor dining area.  Inside were Erika and Nishikido.  He definitely didn’t want to eat with these people, but on the table was the food.  The maid left and closed the door.  “Come sit, Ryosuke.”

      “Don’t call me so simply,” he said strongly and refused to sit.

      Nishikido smiled up at him.  The smile made the boy want to be sick--just why was he smiling at him?  “Please, come sit.  Not everyone gets to dine with the dictator of Hikoku.  It’s quite the honor.”

     "In that case," Ryosuke laced sarcasm through his words, "I don't think I'm fit to be dining here."

     “Nonsense,” his tone turned to a darker tone, “I'm sure I can help you with what you may want right now--information sounds nice, no?”

     Ryosuke thought this over and cautiously sat down in the empty chair prepared for him.  “What kind of information?”

     “The kind that everyone wants to know,” Erika piped up.

     Ryosuke looked at his food.  He’d never seen food similar to this before.  The rice was black and the fish an odd fluorescent green color. Was that color of fish even safe for eating, he worried.  “It’s Hikoku traditional food," Nishikido said, "They are fish tropical to our coastlines and black rice is a sign of wealth here.  The sauce goes on both.”  Ryosuke found the sauce he was speaking off--it was a deep red sauce which made Ryosuke think it must have been spicy, but who really knew?  For Heaven's sake, there was a bright green fish on the plate in front of him.  It looked mutant.

      Taking a bite cautiously, the fish didn't taste as bad as he expected it to, but it was still a weird taste.  He was so hungry though, so he forced it down.  “So what information are you talking about?”

      “For one,” Nishikido began, “Today is the evening of November 29. It’s two days after Alliance Day.  I figured you’d be confused on the date as you've been asleep for a while.  Also, I'd like to take the time to explain your purpose here.”

      Ryosuke put his chopsticks down and looked at him.  He couldn't show this man any weakness.  He couldn't rely on his father or elder brothers to watch over him or fix his problems.  This was his problem now.  He can't go back to the state he was previously in--he can't go mad with fear and sadness.  "Please do so then."

      After a few moments of a silence, Nishikido spoke, "I'm sure you know of this war between our nations.  Hasn't it been a bit too tame for everyone's liking?"

      "I suppose you could use those words," he replied carefully, watching every word his counterpart uttered and being careful with the words he himself selected.  

      "My father left me in charge of this war.  It's my duty to avenge my nation and bring peace to this land.  I plan to start this mission in Yukiguni."

      Ryosuke had many questions in his mind, but he kept silent only nodding a bit, notifying Nishikido continue.  "That's where you come in.  I don't think you quite understand how direly important you are as a person, Ryosuke."

      It would be a lie to say Ryosuke wasn't shocked at those words.  It sounded as if he were complimenting him?  Just what was this man's goal?  "I don't quite understand what you're trying to express here," he fought.

      "I'm simply trying to stress your self-worth.  The stories about you do travel, you know.  Though all of the other nations see you as the weakest prince there is, I see the strongest in front of me."

      Ryosuke did not wish to feel anger at the statement--anger towards the other nations.  What Nishikido was saying was just to get under his skin--but why did it bother him so much?  

     It's because it's true, a voice said inside him.

     It was true, wasn't it?  The other nations did see him as one of the weakest of the princes.  It was his own fault but the feeling was infuriating.  It seemed he could do nothing to bring his image up--not to the other nations and not even to his own father.  Ryosuke was unable to respond properly, "The flattery is unnecessary."  He heard a slight hesitation in his own voice--that wasn't missed by Nishikido.

      "It isn't flattery.  I don't lie--there's no purpose.  Instead, I speak the truth that I see."  The man was still smiling.

      Unable to say anything, Ryosuke sat in silence.  He turned his attention back to his green fish and picked his chopsticks up once more.  Nishikido seemed to change the subject, “If you wish to go out, Erika or another can accompany you--I don't find it wise for you to go around Hikoku all alone.  I’m sure you’ll find Hikoku very different than Yukiguni.  You’re coming from the coldest country to the hottest.  I believe the temperature in your country today is around 23 degrees.  Here it’s 87 degrees currently at night.”

      “You've someone explained, however,” Ryosuke started, "You already called me useless.  I don't see how that makes me the strongest."

      "Being frank, you're uselessness is precisely why you're such a powerful piece in this war.  While you may be inferior and not worthy of much, you’re the piece we’re using to really start this war.  I'm sure your father in anger will attack at any moment.”

     "Then just let me return with my father when he comes.  You would have already started the fighting if he arrives, so I am no good to you afterwards."

     "You underestimate yourself; no, you're to stay here.  I have a position that only you can fill.  There's no other person in the world who can do what you can do now."

      "What are you talking about?" And Ryosuke once again sat his chopsticks down...

***

     The next afternoon, Ryosuke was dressed in a similar fashion and exited his chambers from the flap.  The maid had come by and placed the ladder after announcing that lunch had been prepared.  Once again he sat down at the table across from Erika and Nishikido, but there was no talking today.  Lunch was a bowl of black rice with another kind of fish--this time a bright yellow.  The fish colors continued to worry him, but he hadn't gotten sick last night.  So in hunger he downed the odd-colored fish once more.  

     When he finished, the maids swept the table, and Ryosuke looked up to Nishikido.  "Are you ready?"  Ryosuke nodded in response.  

     The heat was eminent as soon as he stepped outside.  “Why is it so hot here?” Ryosuke asked in a momentary frustration.

      “Why is it so cold in Yukiguni?” Nishikido countered, “I have no clue.”

      As Ryosuke walked alongside Nishikido, he observed the palace.  It was indeed beautiful.  The ground of Hikoku--which this was his first time seeing it--was black sand and dark dirt.  If it wasn't so hot that the sand threatened to leave burns, Ryosuke would think it would feel nice to walk on the sandy ground without shoes.  Through the sand in some areas tropical plants grew and added a bit of color to the place.  Popular colors in Hikoku seemed to be black, red, and gold.  Over and over this color scheme made itself evident.  The sand and all the rice he'd eaten as of now were black and it seemed the background color of this country.  Everything was red.  The flags around the palace, the palace itself, the clothing.  Gold decorated all of the windows and curtains; it doned the horses' saddles and even Erika's make-up; there was an area in the palace gardens with statues of all gold and even a fountain of gold.  Seeing the pure water in the huge fountain made Ryosuke want to wade through it.  

      Once they reached the stables in the back, Nishikido had it seen that Ryosuke received his own horse.  White, Ryosuke thought.  The horse he was given was white and for some reason he smiled.  He expected the horse to be black, but to see the white color--which reminded him of the snow on the ground right now in Yukiguni gave him a warm feeling.  But it dissipated and he mounted alongside Nishikido.  

      As they rode through the capital, it seemed that it was divided into two sections.  Closer towards the palace, there were houses and shops that looked quite fancy.  They passed businesses and the houses of the wealthy.  There was a town square complete with another giant gold fountain and it appeared the citizens of Hikoku thought similarly to Ryosuke.  The fountain was quite shallow and people waded in the water.  Women sat at the edge with their feet in the water and discussed while children ran around in the water, gently splashing each other.  Beyond the fountain was a golden platform of some sort and beside it a bulletin with papers on it neatly.

       Beyond this part of the city though, everything else seemed like slums.  The houses were no longer made to look regal and grand with the golden and scarlet detailings.  Instead they were huts made of hardened black and dark clays and stone.  People dressed in rags there, while those here wore fine silk that covered their skin for protection.  There were no fountains in the distance, only the river that ran through both sections.  Children played in the dirt with rocks and people worked in the streets, selling items as they could or carting things around to be taken to different businesses.  The difference was so vast it was hard to think that it was only about a five minute walk from where Ryosuke currently was.  

      “How about we go to the bathhouse for the evening?” Nishikido led and Ryosuke said nothing but followed.

      The bathhouse water was even hotter and it was being heated by fire-benders.  The hot springs in Yukiguni felt wonderful, but it was hot compared to their cold weather.  Here it was super-hot weather with super-super-hot water.  It looked miserable to him.  

      Nishikido stripped and Ryosuke was expected to do the same.  Afterwards, they went into the water.  It was so hot that Ryosuke thought he was going to pass out.  This was the time that Ryosuke wanted to use magic and cool himself off extremely, but he couldn’t.  Instead, he had to put up with the burning hot water that was currently scorching his skin. 

      They spent about an hour in the hot springs and when Ryosuke finally got out his skin was completely pink.  Nishikido laughed at him, “Ah, snow boy, you really can’t handle the heat, huh?”

      Ryosuke got dressed quickly and his tingling skin felt a bit better after being out of that hot water.  Suddenly a giant gust of wind kicked up and blew Ryosuke’s hair and clothing.  It was cooling him off, but the wind didn’t stop.  Nishikido chuckled softly and Ryosuke wondered if this was what they'd been waiting for.  

     “It’s started much sooner than I would have imagined!  How about we have some fun?”

***

     “The battle has begun,” Erika informed the two.  “The armies of Yukiguni and Kazekoku are here.”

     “Ah, an alliance?  Well, let us kindly host the first battle here.  The army is assembled?” Nishikido questioned.

     “Of course,” she nodded, “They are waiting for your command.”

     Nishikido changed as Ryosuke sat awkwardly with Erika.  When Nishikido came back, he was dressed in fancy red royal clothing and Ryosuke swiftly followed behind him.

      Upon exiting the palace, the wind had greatly picked up.  Ryosuke knew it was Ninomiya's army who had brought in the winds.  It felt great in this heat, but the black sand flying everywhere was a bit annoying.  Once again, Ryosuke mounted his horse and followed Nishikido out of the capital city to where the troops awaited their arrival.  Travelling by horse for only about twenty minutes, Ryosuke saw the Hikoku Army spread out among the sandy outskirts of the capital.  There was a large gap and on the other side of the gap stood Yukiguni's Army beside Kazekoku's Army.  And in the middle of that gap, atop of his own white stag, was Ryosuke's father beside King Ninomiya.  Nishikido geared his horse and rode towards them--and Ryosuke knew it was his turn to follow him.  

      Ryosuke was holding on to the horse's reins so tightly that his knuckles were turning pale.  Ryosuke dared not to look up at his father as he approached him.  But eventually his own horse came to a stop and he had to look up--so he looked to King Ninomiya first.  It was just as much a mistake, though.  

      "Ryosuke," the King of Kazekoku spoke, "What are you doing here?"  King Ninomiya was always smart in war--his voice was an accusing tone.  But Ryosuke heard his father next.  "So you've decided to return my son," he growled, "Smart choice; though I must say, you are not who I expected to meet here.  Where is King Sakurai?"

      Blood was pumping through his veins too quickly.  "King Sakurai is dead," Nishikido spit out immediately, "He and his wife were slaughtered twenty years ago.  You didn't even help your friends in need--you couldn't even tell how they were being used and you let them be murdered.  The country was turned over to my father, who turned it over to me.  I will be the one to avenge Hikoku and wage war against you all."

      The two other kings were in shock, though they knew better than to reveal that weakness in battle.  The first to shake it off was King Matsumoto though.  "Either way, I've come for my son," he looked at Ryosuke now.

       It was painful to look into his father's eyes.  He would once again have to see it, wouldn't he?  "Hurry Ryosuke," his father growled, "You won't be staying in this man's company any longer!"

       It seemed as if time would stop, but Ryosuke forced himself to be strong.  He had to be strong.  "I won't be returning, Otou-san."

      His father was similar in manner, not speaking a word a first.  "What are you saying?" he responded in an equally even tone.

      "I will be staying in Hikoku; I won't be returning to Yukiguni with you," Ryosuke said while gazing straight into his father's eyes.  

      And the thing that Ryosuke had been fearing most did not happen.  Ryosuke did not get a look of disappointment and anger from his father.  Instead, he got something much worst--the look of pure disgust and rage.  Ryosuke did not have time to stop now though.  He could not stop what he's already placed into motion.  

       Nishikido rode back to the top of the hill behind the army and Ryosuke took one last look at his father, absorbing his image into his mind.  The disgust did not go away.  And Ryosuke did the only thing he could--he took his sadness, his anger, and all of the conflicting emotions within him, blaring the order to the army behind him, "Forward!"

       His father, despite the anger and disgust from him, was unable to stop Ryosuke from leaving.  But in his own anger, King Ninomiya shot at him with an arrow.  Kazekoku were known as great archers as they could guide the arrows with their wind.  So Ryosuke was not in shock when he felt a burning sensation in arm.  It was no time to think though.  He had to leave.  He didn't have time to be scared; didn't have the time to feel pain.  He was focused on getting away from his father.  He couldn't be in his presence any longer.  He couldn't bare it.  

***

     Back in the palace, the pain in his arm was growing much stronger.  He hadn't touched the arrow or anything.  Erika had seen it and said she would send a physician up to help him.  The usual maid came in once more and helped him.  She bowed to him before touching him.  "Why do you bow?" he suddenly asked her.

     She looked up at him and Ryosuke finally got a good look at the maid.  He'd never paid attention before now, but she looked younger than he and already working as a maid.  She didn't say anything, so he repeated himself.  "I bow because I was told to do so," she said curtly.  

      He wanted to get annoyed at her tone, but he didn't.  Instead, the girl brought supplies when the physician showed up and helped him remove the arrow and apply bandages.  After the physician left as well, she stayed asking him if there was something else he needed.  He looked at her, but the pain in his arm was controlling his mind by this point, along with the sadness in his heart.  And before he could stop them, he felt the tears that dropped down his full cheeks.  The maid catching sight of this was startled and immediately left the room.  When she had pillows thrown at her--she could handle that.  Someone pouting or throwing a fit--she could handle that.  But someone's silent tears--that she could not handle.  And so she left, retreating to her own chambers in the servants quarters of the palace.  

***

I'm not sure why, but I TOTALLY changed the whole story within this one chapter! XD I had a lot of this preplanned and scripted, but...I just changed it.  I think I like it better this way though.  It adds more depth than the way I had the story before.

Anyway, next week around this time, I will be away from home on a trip to present a research project on how efficently native English speakers learn the Japanese language.  Due to this, I can't update next week on time.  So what I'm thinking is, if enough people request for another chapter, then I will update it early before I leave for the competition trip.  If not, I will just update when I get back.  :)  Either way, I hope you enjoyed this chapter!! ^o^ 楽しんで下さいね♥

 

(Posted 土・2014年03月01日)

***