Spending Summer Vacation in Yukiguni

アカナシアの物語 (The Story of Akanashia)
物語

雪国の夏休み

*14 Years Later*

*August 27, Akanashian Year 286*

*Kazekoku*

      The day had begun early this morning at 5am in the morning.  Since it was summer vacation from school, the kids all usually slept in, as did Maki since she didn’t have to teach.  But today was different.  The royal family was going to be in Yukiguni for the next five days for King Matsumoto’s birthday celebration.  The two kings were very good friends so they spent each other’s birthdays together.  The Aiba family would also be coming up tomorrow too. 

      “Wake up, wake up!” Yuto shook his brother Yuma awake and Yuma shoved him away, turning over to go back to sleep.

      “Onii-san!  Wake up!” Yuto threw a shoe at his head and Yuma rolled out of bed angrily. 

      “Yuto, yamero,” he growled.

      Yuto stuck his tongue out and ran off.  Yuma was the last one to wake up that morning and the others were packing all of their warm clothing.  It may have been August, but even in August it’s still cold there.  Just that very morning, King Ninomiya had informed the others that it was only 44 degrees in Yukiguni today; while in Kazekoku it was 72 degrees.  The Aiba’s would have it worse though—the summers in Tsuchikoku were like 90 degrees sometimes. 

      To travel, the family had to first leave the city, which floated above the land, and go down to the ground below.  Most people never went below unless your job was down there or you were travelling outside of the country.  Once they got below, they boarded the train which would take them straight to the capital of Yukiguni where the Matsumotos lived. 

      The train ride was about a two hour ride since the two capitals were quite close to one another.  It took the Aiba’s about two days travel to get there—they left yesterday and wouldn’t get there until a day after. 

      While on the train, Yuma continued his sleep as Hina drew with Maki.  The King and Queen sat together drinking tea and playing a game quietly.  On the other hand, Yuto was wild again and kept bugging Yuma, poking him to play.  Kei, the eldest son, was studying as he was in his last year of high school now and planning on entering an elite architecture school.  He was to become king, but he still wanted to become an architect.  His father finally decided to let him do both as long as he could handle the stress. 

      Slowly, but surely, the train ride passed.  Before they knew it, they were in Yukiguni.  The train had stayed warm as they had heating when it got colder, but looking outside there was still snow in the mountains and the glass fogged on the windows.

       “These people here don’t have powers yet?” Yuto pulled on his mother’s dress, "When will Yuri learn how to play the wind games?"

       “Yuto,” she said sternly, “That’s a rude thing to say.  The people of Yukiguni have their own talents which doesn't include wind-using.  You can study more about it while we're here.”

       “I don’t want to study,” he wrinkled his nose, “I just want to play with Yuri.”

       His mother sighed and turned to her husband.

       It had become a bit of a taboo topic to talk about the fact that people of Yukiguni couldn’t bend an element ever since that day.  Even King Matsumoto got defensive about it from being called an ‘inferior race’.  The people of Yukiguni had found out about it and immediately soared with anger.  They felt as if they were being called mutts or animals for not being able to bend an element.  Despite that, the people continued to love the people of Kazekoku and Tsuchikoku.  Most still loved Mizukoku also, but Mizukoku really cut itself off from the rest of the world.  The other three kings were lucky if they were contacted by King Ohno at least twice a year.

      The topic became even more taboo though when a scandal in Mizukoku occurred about two years ago.  A shop on the southern-most border, where the country meets with Hikoku, put up a sign outside refusing service for any ‘inferior beings’ and it noted in parentheses ‘Yukiguni Citizens’.  King Ohno had immediately taken action and said the man must have been influenced by Hikoku, but it still came as a blow.

      “Yuto,” the King called to his hyper son.

      “Huh?” he stopped and looked back.

      “Don’t you dare mention anything about the Matsumotos not being able to bend an element, do you understand?  It’s rude and I won’t tolerate it.”

       Yuto nodded.  “Can I see Yuri now?”

       The Queen laughed, “I’m sorry sweetie, but Yuri’s in school right now.”

       “What?” Yuto demanded, “It’s three o’clock though!  And it’s summer break!”

       “School here is different; see you should study a bit here.  Yuri will be home later, okay?”

        So the family exited the train and made their way up to the Matsumoto Castle.  Indeed, all the children were at school already and the castle was empty of them.  It was a good chance to settle in and they were all given rooms.  The Ninomiya family unpacked all of their belongings before the children came running.

*Yukiguni*

      School had just let out for the two youngest children in the Matsumoto family, Yuri and Ryosuke.  Yuri was in Grade 2 of elementary school and Ryosuke in Grade 5.  Soon it would be Ryosuke’s last year of elementary school too. 

       “ButaHayaku!” Yuri laughed and ran off down the path to the cable stop.  There was a cable platform to take up to the upper level of the town, where the castle, a few shops, and few houses were located.  There were also some recreation places there, like the town square and a park.  However, the school was on the lower level like most of the city.

      “Urusai, Yuri!” Ryosuke shouted back at him, running slower.  Ryosuke could never compete with Yuri.  Though he was older, Ryosuke was slower, worse in school than him, not as popular, and he was chubbier too.  Not to mention…

      “Yuri-sama!” a girl suddenly called out from the side of the street.  It was the random village girl and her friends.  “Look its Yuri-sama,” she giggled with her friends.

      Ryosuke finally caught up with Yuri and the girls noticed him too.  “Ah, it’s his brother too.”

      That was it though, no ‘kyah’s’ or anything.  Ryosuke put on a pouting face and quickly got on the cable car.

      “I think Ryosuke-sama’s cuter,” one of the girls giggled and the friends walked off once the cable car had left.

      “Buta,” Yuri poked Ryosuke’s side sweetly.

      “Yamete, Yuri,” Ryosuke said, pouting still.

      “Doua no?” he asked.

      “Nandemonai,” he said, sitting down on the seat swinging his feet.

      “Onii-san, guess what?” Yuri said suddenly, “Yuto’s going to be here today!  Otou-san said so!”

       Ryosuke nodded and smiled.  The fact that the Ninomiya’s were coming wasn’t really that big of a deal for him though.  Ryosuke enjoyed having them over and Yuriko-san was really nice, but he wasn’t too close to anyone in the family.  He didn’t get along well with Yuto like Yuri did; plus Yuto and Yuri didn’t want anyone else to bug them.  When Saki and Sato came up, the two barely included him either—they were too young.  Ryosuke was perfectly content with hanging out with Daiki.  Ryosuke never said it out loud for he would be scolded, but Daiki was his favorite sibling--he could tell him anything. 

       The cable car finally stopped and the boys got out, running up to the castle.  The guards let them in quickly and Yuri ran off first. “YUTOOOO!” he screamed and giggled when he got inside, dragging his bag. 

      “Yuri,” his mother hushed him, laughing a bit, “Quiet down and stop screaming.”

      “Where’s Yuto, Okaa-san?” he asked as he ran up the stairs and she stayed, waiting for Ryosuke to walk in. 

      “He’s in the dining room with the others.  They’re having tea.”

      Ryosuke came in after and his mother greeted him, helping him by taking his bag as he took off his boots and coat. “Okaa-san,” he said looking at his feet.

      "Hmm?” she looked at him, kneeling down in front of him.

      “Am I fat?”

      She laughed out loud and he frowned.  “Oh Ryosuke, you’re not fat.  Stop worrying about such petty things and be more confident.  One day,” she smiled mischievously and Ryosuke was curious.

      “What?” he asked, “Nani, nani?”

      “One day,” she whispered to him, “I think you may grow up to be the most handsome out of all your siblings, no?”

      He grinned in satisfaction with her compliment and felt good.  He thanked his mother before he ran up the stairs following Yuri, but stopped once more looking back to his mother.  “Wait, Okaa-san.”

      “Hmm??” she looked at him.

      “When will the Aiba’s get here?”

      “Tomorrow; why?” 

      “Aw man…I wanted to eat strawberries today,” he continued to run upstairs.

      His mother laughed and went to follow him up.  Ryosuke loved food, especially strawberries, so the Aiba’s would always bring a huge thing of strawberries just for him.

      Upon walking upstairs, Mao came face to face with Yuri and Yuto’s reunion. 

      “Yuto!” Yuri ran and tackled him.  For being such a small boy, it’s surprising he brought Yuto down to the floor, especially since Yuto is tall for his age. 

      “Yuri!” Yuto said, “Let’s go, let’s go, hurry, hurry!  We only have five days left!”

      The two boys ran out of the room, leaving the rest of the families to chat over tea. 

      “It’s been awhile Mao!” Yuriko said as the two moms chatted.  

      “I know,” Mao nodded, “Hina’s getting so big, ne?”

      The two kings talked together also, while Ryosuke sat a bit awkwardly with Kei, Yuma, Maki, and Hina, though she was doing her own thing with her tea.  Ryosuke couldn’t figure out what she was doing though.  She was like trying to put air in it or something.

      “What is she doing?” Ryosuke pointed to Hina’s cup of tea and Kei looked at Ryosuke, then to Hina.

      “Oh, she’s trying to cool the tea off.  We’ve been trying to teach her a trick to doing it,” he laughed. 

      “Oh,” Ryosuke said.  “We have something to do that for you.”

      Kei looked at him, interested. 

      “What’s that?” he asked, “Is it some kind of magic?”

      Ryosuke laughed out loud, “Its snow!”

      Maki laughed genuinely, but Kei looked a bit disappointed and just went back to studying.  That was when the other three kids arrived.  “Dai-chan!” Ryosuke called out, running to him and hugging him.  Kei looked up and went to Yuya and they both greeted the others and left to do their own thing. 

      “What’s up, Ryosuke?” Daiki asked.

      “Nothing,” the boy shook his head, “The Aiba’s aren’t here yet though.”

      “Ah, gomen.  Looks like your strawberries will have to wait then, ne?”

      The younger frowned a bit at that, but Daiki went over to Yuma and the two began talking, before they both walked off with Keito.  So Ryosuke was left to talk with Maki and Hina while the others talked.  Ma, it’s tough being at an odd age like ten. 

*Mizukoku*

     “Ah, Jun will be turning forty-one this year, no?” Rosa told her husband, as he fished in the ocean off the balcony.

     “Un, sou ka…” he continued to fish.

     “Dear,” she sat down beside him, “I know it’s been hard…but how about we meet back up with them?  Let’s go up for him birthday this year.  I know you’re afraid of something else happening, but barely a thing has happened these past fourteen years!  Plus, wouldn’t it be good to mend relations with those who are still friendly?  You’ve hardly talked to Jun in the longest time.  You should see Masaki and Kazu also.  Plus, remember what happened those six months ago when we decided to meet up with Kazu’s family?  Maki seemed very happy too.”

     Ohno raised his eyebrows at that last part, but sighed otherwise.  “Rosa, I don’t want to leave the kingdom unguarded…  I never know what he could do.  Big gatherings and being friendly… What if something happens once again?”

     “We won’t know because all we do is lock ourselves up here.  Tomohisa’s been begging to travel like we used to.  He remembers those times well.  I suppose he was old enough,” she rambled, “It would be good for Kota too.  Lately he’s flustered.  He can’t find what he wants to do in life.”

      The King thought earnestly for a while.  “I…suppose we could try.”

      “Hontou?!” Rosa smiled and kissed her husband on the cheek, “I’ll tell the kids and let’s leave immediately, okay?”

      Hikaru was the most excited and Tomohisa seemed happy.  Kota on the other hand didn’t really seem to care.  They packed quickly and planned to head out, as Ohno made arrangements with the guards and others on how to rule while they were away.  Since they were heading out quickly, it should only take them about a day by ferry to get to the harbor in Yukiguni.  The weather change is very drastic between the two nations and none of the kids had really ever been there.  When Tomohisa and Kota had, they had been way too young to remember.  This was about the warmest time in Yukiguni, but it was still only around 40-some degrees.  In Mizukoku, it was currently 97 degrees.  So dropping about sixty degrees would be tough.

     Tomohisa sat by himself on the ferry, while Kota sat by Hikaru and their parents off inside the air conditioned area.  He sat outside, though, feeling the breeze blow through his hair.  It felt amazing.  He thought about what would happen in Yukiguni. He could still remember that day those fourteen years ago.  Surely he remembered it.  He was eight years old, old enough to remember such an event.  He remembered his friends there and he remembered their parents.  The only ones he had seen after that even were the rare visits to the Ninomiya’s.  Secretly, he’d been contacting Maki through mail, but that was even rare.  He looked forward to seeing Maki.  Maki was the only girl who ever made his heart race. 

     But…This war didn’t ever seem to end despite the fact that nothing ever happened.  He thought of Keiko-san.  She was kind to him and so was King Sakurai.  It was still unbelievable to him.  When he studies, as he will become the next king, he has to hear about the war and its affects.  But then again, there were only a few affects as there still hadn’t been a single battle.  He wondered if there really was even a war going on.  Mainly it was all the vandalism. 

      The western most parts of Mizukoku became abandoned soon after the war started and they were destroyed, but defenses were put over there and the destruction ended.  People stayed inward though.  Besides that, only threats and small fights had taken place.  As far as the rest of the countries were concerned, Tsuchikoku had a bit of damage to its borders, such as burnings and things.  Even for Yukiguni’s borders, they’d been practically untouched besides some burnings of houses and such.  What was Hikoku waiting for? 

      Tomohisa knew that worried his father even more.  They must be waiting to make their move—but why so long?  Why these long fourteen years?  It was something he really couldn’t figure out.  He wanted the war to be over before it began, though.  He wanted to be free to see Maki and anyone else he desired to. 

     “Tomohisa,” his mother called him over, “How about coming inside the air condition for a while?”

      He nodded to his mother and hurriedly went inside.  … Something was off about this war though, he thought.

***

      The time that the Ohno family stepped off the ferry, they were frozen to the bone.  It was really cold in Yukiguni.  There was hardly any snow on the ground because it apparently wasn’t cold enough for snow in the summer, but it must have been just barely because there were patches of snow scattered around.  The grass was muddy from melting snow and it looked a bit dreary first getting off the ferry.  But once they walked for a bit, it was actually quite cheerful.  Despite the cold weather, there was lanterns hanging on the houses made of logs and the village was cheery.  It wasn’t a city, like their capital though.  It was cozy and smaller here.  The family walked some more under the blue cloudless sky.  All around them the town was decorated with lanterns and colorful designs.  Paper chains hung and banners of purple (i.e. each country has their own national color—Mizukoku: blue; Tsuchikoku: green; Kazekoku: yellow; Hikoku: red; Yukiguni: purple) and such were all over the place.  They had bonfires around the city too where adults were gathered, chatting amongst one another. 

     It was the morning of the 29th, around 9:30 about.  Around them school children were walking to school in their uniforms.  They were very different.  In Mizukoku, children didn’t wear uniforms but their own light clothes such as T-shirts, shorts, dresses, or skirts.  Here it was different though. The boys wore long wool black pants with a white long-sleeved shirt.  Overtop they had a heavy fur coat and on their feet were boots, not regular shoes.  The girls wore black wool skirts of varying length with thick stockings underneath and a matching long-sleeved shirt under their similar fur coats.  They also had boots.  Both genders had purple mittens and hats that matched their ties or ribbons. 

     Hikaru was glancing at some of the older girls heading off to the high school… Some of these girls were really cute, he thought.  “Keep walking, Hikaru,” Kota snickered at him.

      Some people had started to notice them.  For one, they were a royal family so everyone pretty much knew who they were.  But besides that, they didn’t fit in here.  All of their skin was tanned because of where they lived in Mizukoku and their hair was lighter shades of browns.  Here though, most had pale skin and their hair colors ranged from a pitch black color to a very dark brunette color. 

      The family quickly made their way to the cable car and took it up, to be confronted with the castle guards.  They were shocked at their appearance.  “K-King Ohno?” the guard had to do a double-take at his family.  “Why are you here?”

      “I’ve come to celebrate my friend’s birthday,” the king smiled. 

      “It sure is cold here…” Hikaru grumbled.

     “A-Ah, please come in!” the guard quickly let them inside the gates and as soon as they did so, two small children burst out of the gates, not even noticing them because they were arguing. 

     “You made us late!  Everyone else left without us!” the smaller boy accused.

     “It’s not my fault!  You're the one who wouldn't stop clinging onto Yuto!”

     “Yabai!  It’s already 9:42!  We’re going to be late!”

     And they were gone.  “Who were…?” Rosa blinked her eyes.

     The guard spoke up, “Those were children of the castle.  The older was Prince Ryosuke and then the younger, Prince Yuri,” he nodded.

     “Ah, I see!  I'd yet to see them in person before,” Rosa smiled. 

     The family proceeded inside and a guard showed them to a room upstairs that Rosa remembered as the entertainment room.  The guard knocked and a “come in” was heard.  The guard nodded to the family and they entered.

     It was a bit awkward upon entrance, but Aiba was the first to break the silence, “Satoshi!?”

     “Hi,” he nodded awkwardly, “I decided it was about time I came to celebrate a friend’s birthday.”

     The rest of the time was spent catching up and they talked. 

     Maki and Tomohisa had snuck off halfway through and Kota and Hikaru talked to the older twins of the Aiba family.

     On the King’s actual birthday, the festivities were feasting and festivities all day.  The four royal families spent the day together and had a grand time.  That was went King Ohno decided to end the silence and not seeing the other royals.  

***

This is the only chapter at these ages, as Part 1 is just this chapter (originally 2 chapters, but I just combined them).  Part 2 is much longer and will take place 6 years later.  I was trying to define a bit more of how the countries are throughout this chapter, so I hope it was not too slow.  

***

Japanese Terms:

  • Onii-san= Older Brother
  • Okaa-san= Mother
  • Otou= Father
  • Yamero/Yamete= Stop 
  • Buta= Pig
  • Urusai= (lit. noisy, annoying) used here as "shut up" 
  • Hayaku= Hurry/Quickly
  • Doua no?= What's wrong?
  • Nandemonai= Nothing
  • Nani= What
  • Sou ka= Is that so 
  • Hontou= Really
  • Yabai= Crap/Risky

 

(Posted on 金・2014年02月07日)

***