The Christmas Ball Plans

アカナシアの物語 (The Story of Akanashia)
物語

ザ・クリスマス・ダンスの予定

 

***

*Hikoku*

*December 17*

*Ryosuke's POV*

      “Ryosuke, bad news,” I heard Miko as she came in the room, quickly closing the flap.  I stood up immediately.

      “What’s wrong?” I asked.

      “Nishikido-sama has returned,” she looked me dead in the eye.  I started to sigh, but she interrupted, “And he wants to speak with you immediately.  I’m supposed to you to the dining hall.”

     “Do you have any clue what it’s about?” I said, thinking about what he would want.

      “No.  He just suddenly walked through the doors and demanded I go get you—he needed to speak with you immediately.  And I came here as quickly as I could.  I presume he’s already waiting in the dining hall now.”

      Finishing my sigh, I nodded.  “Alright, let’s go then.  No use in delaying it.”

      As we made our way hastily, I watched Miko transition into a different person the second we left the room.  Her back gained an edge of rigidness, her smile disappeared from her face only to replaced with a blank looking face, and even the way she carried herself seemed to change.  It was almost scary.  She only led me for a few moments down a couple flights of stairs before she opened the doors to dining hall.  There he sat at the head of the table, Erika beside him as usual with that annoying look on her face.  Miko bowed deeply beside me, but Nishikido stood and stopped her, “You stay as well Miko.  I must speak to you as well.”

      Did he find out Miko and I had been talking friendly?  Had he figured out we’d been sharing secrets?  Miko looked frightened herself, but she was led to a seat by Erika and I sat down across from her and Erika—beside Nishikido himself.

      “I pray you’ve been well while I was away?” he spoke.

       “Of course,” I said a bit sarcastically, “What is it you want?”

      “Actually, today I’m here to talk to you about a festive event.  Christmas is coming up you see.”

     I was a bit shocked—I’d completely lost track of time.  Christmas was soon now that I thought about it.  But what shocked me more was that he was speaking of such a festive occasion with me.  “What about Christmas?” I asked suspiciously. 

      “As you are my highest guest currently, I figured this year’s annual Christmas Ball should be in your honor.  I’d like you to be in attendance that night.”

     “What?” I questioned.  I had come to understand this man did things in a backwards, manipulative way, but it never made sense how one man could give me such torture by doing things that in a normal situation would make a person so thrilled or honored. 

       “It’s just as I’ve said and as simple as so.  I just want you to attend.  A lot of important people from around Hikoku will be in attendance that night, and I’d like for you to meet them.  As I’ve said before, I’m not one to lie about anything, including your circumstance.  You’re going to be there as an aid to me.  Remember our deal?  I need everyone to believe this completely.  We can’t do this halfheartedly, no?  I’m planning to make an... International announcement, if you will,” he smiled, “It’s about time we let a little information slip from Hikoku.  I’m sure our neighbors are fed up from such little information.  I’m sure your family would love to see you as well?”

       “…So... You just want me to go, pretend I’m having a great time here in Hikoku, you take a few photos, get a story written up full of propaganda, and get it shipped off to every other country in the world just like that?” I understood.

      “Precisely.”

      “You play dirty,” I spat, “You attack the people’s emotions—you’ve moved this war from the battlefield to the home.”

       “Ryosuke,” he twirled my name in a sweetly sick way, “You seem to have misunderstood.  This is total war here.  It’s been in the homes of every one of your country’s people, as well as the other countries.  I’m not afraid to bring it to the home—nor does it make me feel guilty.  This is how you win a war.  Total victory.”

        It was silent for a long while.  “Excuse me, Nishikido-sama…” Miko spoke up softly, “May I ask why I’m here?”

       “Oh that’s right…” he smiled, and the creepy look he gave her infuriated me.  “I want you to work closely along with Yokoyama-san to make this ball a success.  Yokoyama Mirai is in charge this year as her and her father will be two of our most important guests here.  The other maids will help in assisting you, but Yokoyama-san said she was most interested in you—she requested to have you be her assistant.”

      “Me?” there was something in her face I couldn’t read.  “I beg your pardon, Nishikido-sama, but why would she want me?”

      “Why perhaps you should just ask her yourself.  I’m a busy man with things to do.  You both are dismissed.”

      “Yes, Nishikido-sama,” she bowed once more, but I merely stood and walked out before she could me. 

        “Oh by the way, Miko,” he called her so casually, as if mocking her, but she turned to him.  “Quickly go to Yokoyama-san now.  She’ll be waiting.  You won’t have as much free time until the ball.”

        “Yes Nishikido-sama.”

        When she closed the door, she turned to me and nodded quickly before running off.  Sighing once more, I headed back to my room.  There was really nothing else for me to do after all. 

*Miko’s P.O.V.*

      Mirai wanted to work with me on this?  Why?  Mirai is a nice person.  But… Mirai is the only one who could have done it.

       I found her in the kitchen, sitting down at a table for the maids with a pencil and papers.  I sat down across from her.  “Ah, Miko-chan!”

      “Mirai-san,” I smiled at her. 

       She looked at me, “What’s wrong?  You don’t seem to be your usual self.”

      “O-Oh, no, it’s nothing!” I had to do better than this.

       She shrugged, “Alright.  Well let’s get to work, shall we?  There’s a lot to prepare.”

      “What shall we begin with?” I asked, looking at her papers.

      “Well, I’ve begun to write up a menu for the night as well as doing some rough sketches of how I want the decorations.  As my assistant, I’ll need you to help me with all the drafting and details.  If there’s anything you don’t like or think we should add, don’t hesitate to speak up, ne?” she smiled.

       “May I ask something?”

      “Of course.”

       “Why did you want me as your assistant?”

      She smiled, “I thought this would be a good bonding experience.  I think we could be good friends.”

      I smiled a bit, she couldn’t have done it…

      “Alright,” I adjusted myself, looking at what she had done.

      We’d only been working on some things for an hour when we stopped, “Wouldn’t you like a snack?  I’m getting hungry.”

       “I really shouldn’t be eating…”

       “It’s fine!  Let’s have some tea and cake down in the maids’ quarters, okay?” she said, gathering up our things.

       So indeed we moved to the maids’ quarters and had tea and cake brought to us.  I’d never received such service before—with Mirai was the only time.  At first, it was awkward again.  I sat with her, sipping quietly, but then she began to talk.  She continued on and on—she told me of her father, her hobbies, and other couple things.  Then she asked me what I did usually.

      “Ah, well…Usually I take care of the prince lately.”

      “Oh the Prince from Yukiguni, no?  How is he?  I’ve heard he’s quite the whiner,” she laughed.

       “He is not,” I defended, “He’s kind, he doesn’t order me around me much,” I had to cover myself up.  I can’t let too much slip.

      “Isn’t he in his room for most of the time?  I’ve never seen him before.”

      “Yes; he only really comes out for meals.”

      “What would someone do for all that time up there?” she sighed, stirring her tea, “I would surely go crazy.”

      “I suppose so,” I nodded, “Sometimes he draws…” in the dust on the shelves, “Other times he will play games…” with me or we talk a lot recently about his life and mine as well, “Contemplate a bit…” and we wonder why certain things happen, why others don’t.  “Most certainly thinks about his family I’m sure…” and he tells me of his brothers.  I’ve heard a lot of Daiki, he tells me of Keito and Yuya and Yuri. His parents as well.  

     “Oh,” she nodded and sipped her tea once more. 

       It was once again silent, but suddenly she jumped up, “Oh I’ve forgotten I’ve got some things to do in town.  I’m sorry; we’ll have to continue this another time.  You should bring some of this cake and tea up to the prince.  Perhaps it will be a nice change.”

     I nodded, “Thank you.”

      “I’ll see you see Miko-chan.  Let’s continue the planning tomorrow!”

      I sighed a breath of relief.  This whole conversation had seemed so forced by the both of us that it seemed a difficult thought to have to work together on this ball.  Plus, I was still wary of her.  I know I shouldn’t suspect her of ruining my things, but there really is no one else who could have done it.  Mirai seemed so nice, but I had made no enemies among the maids.  I trusted them—the only one who has been here for a short time was Mirai.  She was also the only one given free will to be down in the maids’ quarters whenever she pleased. 

       Hurrying, I grabbed the cake and the tea set, carefully making my way up to Ryosuke’s bedroom.  I had difficulty getting up the ladder, so I had to set the tea set down and go up with just the cake first.  “I brought some cake, Ryo…” Suddenly I saw Eri in the room with Ryosuke. 

      Why was she here?  She looked at me, “I mean… Yamada-sama… Ah, I brought some tea and cake for you.”

      “Thank you,” he said, “You can leave it here.  Eri-san, as you see she’s returned so you can go back to your own duties. Thank you.”

      “Of course,” she smiled.  “Don’t worry Miko, I had you covered.”

       I smiled, “Thanks Eri-chan.  I'll meet you downstairs later!”

      She helped me get the tea up and then left.  “Where’d this come from?” his eyes seemed to light up, “I love strawberry shortcake.  It’s my favorite.”

      “Mirai-san brought this,” I told him, pouring him some tea as well. 

       “Ah, this is tea from Yukiguni!” he exclaimed happily.

       “What?” I looked down and he was gulping it down happily.  “How do you know?”

       “This tastes exactly like what I used to drink at home—my mother would make it.”

      “Really?” I asked—how did Mirai get all of these things?  How did she know that these were Ryosuke’s favorites?  She was definitely suspicious. 

      “You said these are all from this Mirai-san?  I’ve never seen her before.”

      “Yes,” I nodded, “I don’t know how she got them though.”

       “It is a bit strange…I wonder how she got this tea…” he wondered, “I wouldn’t assume they sell this in Hikoku, would they?”

       “I’m not sure.  I’ve never drank tea before today so.”

       “You haven’t?”

       I stuck my tongue out at him, sitting down next to him, “Of course not,” I stole another cup and filled it, “So let me have more.  I was always too poor to drink something this expensive!”

      He frowned and I laughed, pressing between his eyebrows.  “Sheesh, don’t pity me here.  I’m drinking it now, aren’t I?  Plus, your face looks funny all scrunched up like that—you shouldn’t frown so much.”

       “Eh?” he smirked, “You’re the one who got so serious walking out of the room—your face got so hard and stiff!” He burst out laughing imitating my face.

        “Oh shut it!” I hit him playfully. 

       “Give me more cake,” he poked his fork at the plate.

      “Greedy aren’t we?” I laughed.

*Yukiguni*

*Yuri’s P.O.V.*

*Flashback to December 12*

      “Oh, Suzuki-san!” my mother greeted her, “I’m glad you’re finally here!  Finally, I have my apprentice…” she sighed, “Thank you for coming.  I finally have something that can take my mind off all the stress these days.”

       “Oh, it’s my honor Matsumoto-sama,” she giggled and my head was going to explode if she giggled much more.

       “Please call me Mao—or better yet,” she smiled, “Please, by all means, call me Okaa-san!  You’re a part of the family now.”

      “Of course, Okaa-san,” she smiled, “Shall I help prepare dinner?”

      “Oh thank you!  I’ve always wanted a daughter you know,” my mother laughed as well.

      I sighed.  This annoying girl would be calling my mother by Okaa-san as well now?  I didn’t want her in my family. 

      “Yuri~” I heard her once more, calling my name so casually. 

      “What?”

       “Do you want to come out to town with me?” she smiled, ruffling my hair. 

      “No thanks.  Go by yourself.”

       She pouted, “No way Yuri~!  Come with me!”

       “Isn’t it my choice to stay here?” I said, self-explanatory.

       “Well I suppose so, but…”

      “Oh Yuri,” Okaa-san walked it, “Just go with her.  She’s so kind to you and all you’ve done is be rude to her so far!  What’s gotten into you?”

      I only rolled my eyes secretly—though she was right.  I don’t know why Emi annoyed me so much, she just did.  She was so…fake and annoying.  Despite it all, I got up and went with her. 

      Otou-san and Yuya Onii-san had been working together on the war efforts.  Since Ryosuke Onii-san’s trial, things have been less tense around the house as well, which is good, but Emi ruins the mood.  Once everyone was back together…Daiki Onii-san, Keito Onii-san, Ryosuke Onii-san… Once we were all together again…  Then I wouldn’t have to spend so much time with Emi either.  I laughed.

*Mirai’s P.O.V.*

       “Hnn… This one looks good,” I grabbed the bowl and went to purchase it quickly.  Today was the anniversary of when Yokoyama-san and I had met.  I don’t remember it—I was too young.  I just remember growing up, thinking of him as my second father.  He told me of when we met, and I knew very well why we met.  Every year I would get him something special to celebrate the day.  He had a collection of fine dishes, so I usually added to it every year.  It was a small token of my thanks…  After all, it’s thanks to him that I have gotten so far already.

      “Otou-san,” I went to him and he looked at me.

      “What is it Mirai?”

      “Can I ask you something?” I was only but a small girl.  How was I supposed to understand this without an explanation?

      “Why do I call you Otou-san?”

      “…”

      I looked at him with curiosity and he smiled at me.  “I’m here to help you and your family, Mirai.  Surely you understand the position your parents are in despite your age?”

     “I do,” I nodded.  I was well aware of this.  I understood why my family hid away in that small village—I understood why they didn’t ever come to town with me, I understood why only I could come.  “But what does Otou-san have to do with this?”

    “I’m your…safety barrier.”

      “…?”

      “Think of me as your second father.  In a sense I am.  I’m here to protect you and take care of you.  You can rely on me in your times of need when you’re away from your family.  Think of me as your family as well Mirai.”

      “Otou-san,” I sat beside him, “What is it we have to do?”

     “We have to make things right Mirai,” he sighed, “This world isn’t what it used to be.  It’s up to us to return it to its former state.”

      “And how will we do that?” I questioned once more, not understanding what we could do about it.

     “First we work on making you into a beloved lady in Hikoku,” he said, “We’ll work it from there.”

       I didn’t quite understand it still at my age, but I agreed.  Whatever Otou-san had in store, it should work out all right.  Otou-san was one of the kindest people I’d met, yet he was cunning and mysterious at the same time.  Sometimes I couldn’t tell if he was lying or not, though I know he’d never lie to me. 

      As I grew older and older, year by year, things fell into place and understood more of what I had to do.  Thanks to him, I understood the world and the suffering people went through.  When I was fourteen, I made up my mind that it would be by my power that the Nishikido line would cease to exist.  It was the first time Otou-san took me on a stroll through the poor region to pass out supplies and food.

     I had gotten split up from Otou-san and couldn’t find him.  Instead, I continued to wander farther and farther into the poor districts of town.

       “Onee-chan,” a boy suddenly pulled at my skirts, “Please Onee-chan, do you anything to spare?”

       His clothes were torn and his skin burnt and tanned from the hot sun and sand.  I reached into my bag and pulled out some of the food Otou-san had given me.  “Here,” I gave it to him, smiling.

       “Arigatou, Onee-chan!” his face shown and he ran off.

      All at once, several children swarmed me, asking, no, begging for food.  “Please!” “Please, Onee-chan!” “Please, won’t you spare me some?” “Please!”

      I hadn’t brought enough food for them all eventually, and I had run out.  The look on the children’s faces tore through my heart and I felt my eyes go hot.  “It’s okay Onee-chan,” another little girl said, bowing before running off with her younger brother. 

      I stood quickly, walking quickly in the other direction.  I needed to leave.  My clothes were too fancy to stay here—the others walked in rags, yet I was dressed in riches.  How could I walk like this through here? 

My eyes burned with tears, but my heart burned with fury.  I will regain honor for my family.  I will remove those pigs from my family’s throne!  I wiped my tears viciously.  I swear to it, I shall destroy them from the inside out if it’s the last thing I do.

***

I'm sorry for taking so long to update ;__;  I'm such a bad author >___<

I've worked and studied all summer, along with many college tours to see which colleges I'd like to apply to, so I've gotten a bit lazy when it came to writing @_@ Gomen, mina! 

But here is the next chapter. :D I hope you all will enjoy it.  I have all of these ideas in my head...I have a big idea of where I want this story to head, I just need to write it all out.  Luckily, I did get my drafting for the next couple chapters done~~!!!  I have a week left before my last year of high school starts--and all of my vacation homework to do haha--but I will try to update more!

ごめんね、皆さん!本当にナマケモノ作者、私は!

この夏中いつも勉強してから仕事をしましたから、あまり書きませんでした…TT^TT そして、沢山大学に見に行きました。高三年の学校の始まりは一週間まであとですが、まだ夏休みの宿題をしなければなりませんよ!!!

とにかく、この第15話を楽しんでください!次回も楽しみに!

 

(Posted 土・2014年08月09日)