Rapunzel

Once Upon a Dream

 

 

 

 

 

 

Late afternoons, on the edge of Qingdao territory.  The yellowed grass became green once more as they headed further north, the skies a pale blue fading into streaks of orange, the air filled with the scent of grass and wildflowers.

Although he had a vague idea of where the next town should be, Kris didn't really have anything planned out.  He had banked on finding his princess in Qingdao, and when instead of a princess, he had found Huang Zitao instead, he suddenly found himself at a loss. 

So what now?

Kris' mind might have been blank, but Pearl's hooves kept moving onward and onward, taking them further from the sandy beaches of Qingdao and deep into the fields of wild tall grass that lay in the north. 

It didn't help that Tao wasn't at all picky, his - I'll go wherever you want - attitude making it clear that no matter where they went, he would be content, as long as it was far away from the imprisoned castle that he had once called home. 

With a sigh, he once again pried Tao's arms away from his midsection.  

Though they could hardly have been considered traveling fast, for whatever reason, the young man would every now and then clutch on to him as if they'd been galloping across the plains, full speed ahead, instead of at plodding pace that they currently were.

Add to the fact that Tao had been talking non-stop for the past three hours and Kris was more than ready to toss the man off the horse and leave him in the field.  Of course though, that wouldn't have been proper, so Kris only entertained the option in his head.

Kris kept his responses to a minimum (a grunt every now and then), but somehow the younger prince had continued to chatter as if Kris had been an active participant in the conversation the entire time.

"You have no idea how boring it is to have been alone for six years.  Six years without anyone to talk to!  Well, not quite, I guess Tiny was always there to keep me company. But there was no one human!  Can you imagine?  I almost forgot what my own voice sounded like sometimes!"

I'd like to do just that, if you'd let me, Kris sneered silently, rolling his eyes as he once again pried Tao's arms away from his waist.

Tao grew deathly quiet, and Kris turned enough to see that his mouth was open in an expression of offended shock, arms folding across his chest as he looked away in anger.

Oh my, did I say that aloud?  Whoops.

They fell into a much needed silence, Kris trying desperately to savor the moment for as long as he could, finding himself staring at the gentle motions of the swaying grass, the clopping of Pearl's hooves against the ground the only other sound.

But not even five minutes later, a shout of exclamation.

"What now?"  Kris moaned, wiping a hand down his face.

"Look - people!"

Immediately, Kris' guard raised - in the wilds, groups of people could mean anything - pilgrimages and bands of adventurers common and friendly enough, but also thieves and marauders.  And now that he had the additional burden of protecting the "damsel" seated behind him, he had to be extra cautious.

He heard the faint sound of a dozen horses, wooden wagon wheels squealing along the dirt road closer and closer to them.  He turned his head to see what Tao had spotted on the horizon - a circus caravan of 20 or 30, traveling in their direction.

 

 

 

 

Kris was gratefully to finally be off his horse and seated in the caravan wagon, taking gulping sips of the steaming bowl of lentil soup that had been given to him. 

He was exhausted.   Pearl whinnied at his side, in a similar state of fatigue.  He reached a hand into his pocket to pull out some oats which he fed to her from under the tarp shade of the wagon.  A sound of laughter had him looking up from his chore.

To his exasperation, Tao on the other hand was as peppy as he had been hours earlier, even choosing to walk (How the hell was he still walking, after three hours on a saddle?) alongside the caravan instead of sitting up next to him in the jockey box.  The other prince was currently making fast friends with the merchants who had picked them up, holding a cheerful and loud conversation with a smaller man with curly, brown-red hair.  Baekhyun, he overheard as the man extended a hand to Tao in welcome.

"So this is - this is what, a merchant caravan?"

"Ah, no, we're part of a circus from the neighboring country of Joseon.  We tour through this region every year for our traveling show."

"Joseon?  Where's that, exactly?"

As was expected from someone who had been hidden from the world for 6 years, Tao was naturally curious about everything and everyone.  He kept Baekhyun engaged in a game of question and answer, pointing out various things and making inquiring comments about them that the merchant patiently responded to.

Kris watched with growing embarrassement.  Damsels were supposed to be poised, refined.  They weren't supposed to talk all of the time, asking stupid questions, and they certainly weren't supposed to know more powerful fighting moves than the Prince Charmings who came to save them. 

"So you said you travel around here annually?  Do you know of any blonde Damsels nearby?"

Oh-ho.  Maybe Kris had spoken too fast.  Maybe Tao's talkative, friendly personality did have its perks.  Kris sat up, paying keener attention to the conversation now.

"...dams - so you're a Prince Charming, then?  ... hey Chanyeol, come here, would you?"

The man turned away from Tao, gesturing over to another merchant - a tall man with big ears.  The man turned and walked over with a goofy smile, and Kris watched as he leaned in, nodding as Baekhyun conveyed the information that had been just given to him.

"You're looking for a blonde princess?  Sure, I know of a Rapunzel who lives nearby.  As a matter of fact, we usually pass through that area in a day or so, so if you'd like, I can just point out the tower to you when we pass by.  Until then, the two of you are welcome to continue traveling with us."

"Oh really?  Thanks so much!"

Tao closed his eyes, his mouth pulling up at its corners in a way that was as disgusting as it was cute. 

Hot soup trailed down the wrong pipe, and Kris coughed it up into the air, gagging as Pearl looked up at him with concern.

"What's up with your partner, is he alright?  He's been quiet this entire time."

"Oh, Kris?  Don't mind him, he's just grumpy all the time.  Besides," Tao leaned in to whisper secretively, "I don't think he enjoys talking much to strangers."

Baekhyun frowned.  "What a grump."

Kris felt like strangling the smirk off Tao's face.

 

 

 

 

Later that evening, they stopped to rest by the side of the road, the entire caravan pulled into a large circle as communal pots of stewed meats and vegetables began to be passed around.

Kris and Tao were seated around the big fire, listening to Chanyeol spin tails of his travels across the land.  The two of them were laughing secretively to themselves now at what Tao could only assume was an inside joke.  Although it wasn't obvious at first, Tao saw the cute glances and the shy physical affection that meant so much more than friendship

It touched his heart to see budding love.  With a warm smile, Tao plopped back onto the floor with arms spread wide, his light brown hair fanning out behind his head like a halo as he laid down onto a bed of grass. 

Even though he was stuck with a sometimes disagreeable Prince Charming, Tao couldn't argue that things were better now than they had been for years.

The stars were twinkling, and although the sight was the same from down here as it was in his high tower, Tao couldn't help but feel awe-struck at the sight, breathing in the smell of fresh, green grass, basking in the warmth and the glow of the fire.  People were chattering all around him, and Tao immersed himself in the sound, comforted by it after years of hearing nothing but wind in empty hallways.

He turned over to his side, stealing another glance at Baekhyun and Chanyeol who were still talking in hushed, flirtatious tones.  His heart was as warmed by the sight as it was made jealous. 

If only a Prince Charming could make me laugh like that.  Hesitantly, Tao turned toward the only Prince Charming he knew.

Kris was grazing on a chicken kebab, stick still sticking out of his mouth even as his cheek stuffed up with food.  Seeing Tao's gaze, Kris raised his eyebrows, giving a questioning grunt.

Gross.

Tao made a face and rolled his eyes, turning away from the sight.

 

 

 

 

Later that night, after everyone had retreated into their tents and wagons for the night, Tao remained outside, toying with a beautiful, handcrafted flute in his hands, a personal gift from a new friend, Baekhyun.  He blew into it clumsily, smiling with simple wonder at the breathy, pitchy sound it produced.

He continued in this fashion until he heard a twig cracking behind him, turning around to see Kris, as taciturn as ever, coming to sit next to him by the fire.

"What're you still doing up?"  Tao asked the Prince of Guangzhou, shifting over to give him space.

"...You weren't in the tent."

Tao looked back at the said tent briefly before turning back to Kris with a grin on his face.

"Don't tell me you were worried?"

In a monotone voice with sleep-glazed eyes, Kris cut him down quickly with his response.

"Don't think too much about it.  Those horrifying noises coming out of that instrument woke me up.  You weren't in the tent, so I knew you were out here."

Tao pursed his lips, looking down at the flute.

"...besides, regardless of anything, you're still a Damsel.  I'm obligated to protect you."

"...I can handle myself in a fight better than you can, you know that, right?"

Kris sniffed.  "That was a one-time fluke."

Tao was already smiling, mouth opening in response - and then he paused, deciding against another snide comment as he cocked his head. 

"...you know, for as tough and as mean as you make yourself out to be, you're actually very warm-hearted, aren't you?"

Tao watched as the tips of Kris' ears reddened.  "...whatever."

Looking around him for something to change the topic, he jerked his head at the pole that lay by Tao's feet.

"So you never told me how you became so good with a staff?"

"My father's better, to be honest.  He taught me when I was a kid."

Putting down the flute to place a hand on the pole, Tao's eyes grew misty and distant.

"...times like this, I remember how much I miss him."

Kris stiffened, suddenly scrambling again for something to say that would get Tao's attention away from what was making him look like he was about to cry.

"I- uh- well- I'm glad to be away for a little while from my father.  He didn't even want to let me go on this trip."

Tao blinked in surprise.  "...really?  Isn't this a coming of age thing for most boys our age?"

Kris ran a hand through his hair.  "I'm not a boy anymore.  I'm two years older than you, you know.  I should have been out looking years ago, but my father, the King, held me back."

"Why?"

"My cousin - Kai - he left a bit earlier than I did, and yet he still hasn't been able to find his princess.  His father is debating a traditional marriage for him, and it's got both my cousin and my aunt extremely upset.  Kai has been asking for extensions for quite some time now, but it's gotten to the point where even he is beginning to think that the whole thing is completely hopeless.  Father's concern is that I'll be like my cousin - coming home every year with a broken-heart.  I thought my father was just worrying too much about me... but maybe he's right.  Maybe I should have waited a little longer.  I hadn't prepared for the possibility of ...this."

Kris gestured at the space between the two of them, across the dying flame.  Tao stared at the small wisp of heat, eyes glazing over with a disappointment of his own.

"...maybe we were both deceived in the end," Tao started, plucking at a piece of grass between his fingers.  "You, banking your hopes on a princess who never existed, and me, waiting for six years on a man who never came."

Kris hadn't thought about it that way, but he admitted that the thought warmed him to Tao, if only by a little.  They were peers in this miserable game.

"...how did it happen, anyway?  Your managing to stay awake."

Tao sighed softly, rubbing at his forehead.

"...I just couldn't go through with it, you know?  I mean, I've always wished I had the freedom to choose who I would spend the rest of my life with.  Everyone else has that choice - except for me, lying in a bed for years, not knowing when I'd wake up and who I'd wake up to.  What if he's not my type at all?  What if he only wants to marry me for my money?  What if he tries to make me someone I'm not?  And to tell me that I can't make that decision on my own?   Letting someone else choose for me is such an terrifying idea, so I just... opted not to prick my finger."

"...but everyone fell asleep anyway?"

Tao shook his head.

"My witch was trying a new age spell at the time - you know, these days, they break curses into several parts that function separately on their own, so that if anything happens, there's still some wriggle room - at least, that's how he explained it to me.  That being said, the entire castle falling asleep was not contingent on my having pricked my finger on the wheel at all.  Apparently, that would have only affected me.  So the castle would have fallen asleep either way."

"Well, seeing as it was by your own hand that you were alone for that many years - don't you regret your choice?"

Tao blew air out of his mouth slowly, sitting back onto his arms as he tried to think of a simple way to put something he had given years of thought to.

"Yes... and no.  I call it a mistake, but... the only mistake I made was not preparing myself for all that time alone.  If I had really regretted it, there was nothing to stop me from going back to prick my finger on that spindle.  It's still there, in the cellar somewhere.  But... I really ...don't want to, you know?  For the same reasons I didn't all those years ago - it's like choosing the lesser evil - sacrificing all that time and company to be able to make that decision for myself.  In the end, I guess you could say that I chose to be alone because I respected myself more."

Although Kris didn't really understand - hadn't lived that life - he had to admit that he admired the strength and conviction Tao had. 

It was too bad, really.

 

 

 

 

Tao was the only one of the two to wave goodbye to the rest of the caravaneers, hearing the rattling of tambourines and the thumping of drums signaling their departure.

When he turned back, Kris was already far away and Tao had to hurry to catch up to his side, his pole thumping against his back as he ran.

Chanyeol had left them close in the vicinity of the tower with a simple map, and it took the two men and the horse less than an hour to reach the single, circular tower situated in the middle of the forest clearing. 

Finding it had been easy enough.  Figuring out a way to the top?  Much more difficult.

Kris made a noise of confusion.  Tao's own tower was much taller than this one - but at least that had an entrance.  For as many times as he had circled around the base, he still couldn't seem to find a door or a staircase that could lead up toward the top.

Tao, on the other hand, had stayed put where he was, looking up at the tower in front of him with discerning eyes.

"...you know, this could be a traditional Rapunzel tower."

Kris scoffed.  "What, are we still living in archaic times?  There has got to be another way up there that doesn't involve climbing up a sheet of rock."

While Kris continued to circle around to look for any secrets hidden within the old stone, Tao walked in the opposite direction around the tower, keeping his gaze on the top until he was directly under the sole window, cupping hands over his mouth as he prepared to speak the old, old pass phrase.

"Rapunzel, Rapunzel, let down your golden hair!"

There was a moment of absolutely nothing happening that had Tao feeling very silly about himself, but sure enough, after just another moment of waiting, a long length of braided golden hair came tumbling down from the window, stopping only when it was an inch from the ground. 

With a shout of joy and a smug grin, Tao gestured toward it, bowing slightly toward the Prince Charming who would now be tasked to climb it.

 

 

 

 

Or not.

Kris grunted in effort, having made just another inch off the ground before he slipped on the mossy cobblestone yet again, falling hard to the ground on his back with an oof.

He was still lying on the ground, groaning, when a shadow suddenly blocked his light, a hand once again extended out toward him.

This time though, Kris took it, although not without a whining grumble.

"Why is it that everything we do ends up with me on my back?"

Tao was snickering, and Kris let go of his hand the moment he was back on his own feet, using it to hit Tao in the back of his head.

"If you think it's that easy, why don't you give it a try and pull me up after you?"

Tao scowled, rubbing at the back of his head.

Fine.

Tao cracked his neck and hands, taking a few practice steps before making a running leap onto the braid.  To his credit, he was able to get a few more inches above Kris' own personal record through the jump itself - managing to take a step or two more before the mossy cobblestone proved too slippery of a foothold, forcing Tao to sink back down to the ground with a grunt.

Letting go of the braid, Tao blocked out Kris' snide comments of 'you see?' 'not so cocky now, are you?', instead his upper lip as he squinted at the wall in front of him. 

He cursed at the wall silently, begging it not to let him embarrass himself a second time as he geared up for another try.

This time, he spat into his hands, rubbing the two together to create some friction before he grabbed hold of the braid again, wrapping it around his fist tightly.  Using his solid grip to pull himself up slowly, he put a cautious foot against the wall, testing his hold only to discover with surprise that this time, the wall felt firm and solid against his shoe.

He gave a loud cry of victory, blowing a raspberry at Kris as he made his slow ascent, feeling rather than seeing the man's dirty look against his back.

I might be a Sleeping Beauty, but I'm not a helpless damn princess.

 

 

 

 

Tao had reached the top already, disappearing into the open window.  But that had been a few minutes ago, and Kris found himself shifting impatiently.

"What the hell is that idiot doing?  He better not be trying to take her from me first..."

Was that even possible?  A Damsel with another Damsel?  Kris didn't know - he'd only ever known one other male damsel before, and he had been very openly gay.

It didn't matter, though, as Tao stuck his head out a second later, a strange look on his face.

"...Uhhhh, are you sure you want to come up here, Kris?  I don't know if you want to."

Kris made an annoyed grunt, cooly stepping into the makeshift stirrup he had crafted from the hair, tugging lightly to signal that he was ready. 

He heard Tao sighing from up above, saw the head disappearing before he felt himself begin to move up slowly, Tao pulling him up inch by inch until he could reach the window.

 

 

 

 

Kris knew exactly what Tao had been trying to warn him about the moment he had pulled himself up and stepped through into the room.

First, the braid wasn't the princesses' actual hair - it was a rope made to look like hair, fastened tightly to a metal hook in the wall. 

Second, the girl wasn't exactly sunshine gold.  Her hair was more of a strawberry blond, and although pretty, it wasn't quite what Kris had in mind.

Thirdly, the girl looked pissed, clearly in the middle of getting ready for the day as she was still dressed in a set of pink, fluffy pyjamas, her hair done up in a messy chignon.  She had her arms crossed over her chest, a thick wooden brush held tightly in her right hand.

From the way Tao was wincing, holding the side of his head, he could imagine what the princess had done to Tao the moment he had appeared from the window. 

"Another prince?  What, are you all traveling in pairs now?"

"I got you up here, now she's your problem, not mine."  Tao whispered, clapping a hand on Kris' shoulder as he moved back to the window, trying to give the two of them some space. 

The princess made a noise of exasperation, rolling her eyes as she turned around and returned to face her dresser.  Taking the clip from her hair, long blonde locks fell from the bun, falling elegantly against her back.

Even though the color wasn't exactly right, the circumstances not exactly right, there was something about the sight of beautiful color that had Kris suddenly feeling flushed. 

"Princess,"  He began in his best, most handsome, voice, "I understand that you're being kept here against your will.  If you would like, I could set you free and-"

The princess pulled the brush through her hair one more time, setting it down on the nightstand before her with a loud, clattering noise.

"Why are you still here?  I don't need or want your help, loser."

Kris' mood soured instantly.

"Excuse me?  I am the Crown Prince of Guangzhou, my family owns all of the land under-"

"-yeah yeah yeah.  Listen, I'm not going to marry you just so I can be some public face for whatever kind of relationship you and pretty boy over there have."

Tao whipped his head around.

"What?!"  The two exclaimed in shock, looking at each other in disgust.

"Don't even think about lying to me - there's no way you two aren't sleeping with each other.  If I had a nickel for every time a prince still in the closet comes up here thinking that he can force me to marry him - I'd have enough money to build a staircase down this damn tower myself!"

"We're not-"

"And besides, why would I marry someone who can't even climb up the tower himself?  That's the whole point of it being 'a tall tower with no staircase', duh."

Kris began to spit angrily, but Tao pulled him away, pushing him back toward the window.

"Kris- come on- no, let's just leave.  It's not worth it."

Kris was hissing foul words about her family that Tao wincing, angering her enough into throwing makeup compacts and brushes at them even as they hurried over the window sill, grabbing a hold of the braid once again.  Kris went down first, sliding down the braid as he shouted one last insult up toward the blonde princess.

Tao made to follow, but paused with one foot out of the window.

"Listen, I'm sorry for my friend he-"

He was interrupted by a faceful of powder.

Closing his eyes and wheezing drily, he turned around stiffly in a cloud of still settling powder, silently dropping out of the window.

 

 

 

 

"...what a ."  Tao muttered, still coughing as the two of them traveled toward the nearest town marked on Chanyeol's map.

Kris grunted in agreement.

"It went just as well as yesterday's, I think."

"...wait, are you calling me difficult?"

"...maybe."

"...ugh, you're the worst!" 

Kris hummed, looking around his shoulder to stare at Tao.

"...you've still got powder all over your face, by the way."

Tao gave a yelp, suddenly beginning to pat at his face delicately, causing powder to rise into the air.  The sight was so ridiculous that Kris began to make noises that gave Tao a heart attack - until he realized that Kris was laughing.

Tao was so pleasantly surprised by the noise that he began to laugh as well, the two of them chuckling jointly for a few seconds before the laughter died into warm and comfortable silence.

 

 

 

 

 

Hyori's Tavern.

The warped wooden sign hung precariously on its last legs, swaying in the breeze as Tao and Kris walked into the small town.  Tying Pearl to a nearby post, Kris led the way as they pushed into the tavern.

Upon the opening the door, they were hit with the lively sounds of loud music and raucous laughter.

Kris wrinkled his nose at it, disgusted at having to spend a night in a place which was built for commoners.

On the other hand, Tao was staring around in wonder, head bobbing to the beat of the drums and the tambourines, mouth agape in spellbound awe as a beautiful lady walked by them in a frilled outfit, heaving a tray full of ale-filled mugs high above their heads as she pushed past.

Kris beelined for the bar, waiting impatiently until the barkeep had finally turned away from the noisy conversation he had been having with a pair of drunkards nursing large jugs of alcohol.

"Name's Chen,"  He stuck out a dirty hand to Kris.  Kris stared at it until the man had pulled it back down to his side, wiping it on his apron self-consciously.

"Pleasure to meet you.  What can I do you for?"  The man smiled warmly, planting two hands on the bar.

Kris leaned away from the man as he leaned forward, nose wrinkling in disgust at the smell of liquor that wafted out from the man's clothing. 

"I'd like a room for the night."

Tao wandered over, laughing as he waved goodbye to the group of men he had just introduced himself to, coming in just in time to hear Kris bargaining over prices with the barkeep. 

"I'd say 20's a fair price for an establishment as fine as this.  We're even throwing in a free breakfast in the morning!  That continental service, and what not."  Chen exclaimed, suddenly frowning when Kris shook his head.

"I'm not paying more than 10 gold for this pigsty, and I'm not going to budge on that."

Chen grumbled to himself, but upon feeling his pockets, empty of gold, the barkeep sighed in defeat and agreed to the man's price.

"Do these rooms have two beds?"  Tao asked, leaning into the conversation.

"Just one."

Tao gaped.  "But, how-"

"Do you have a problem with that?"

Tao flushed, scratching the back of his head in confusion as he looked down at the floor.  "Well - no, I guess - but weren't you the one who said you didn't like other men?"

Kris pried the keys out of Chen's hands, giving Tao a smug look.  "Why would that matter?  I'm the only one staying in it."

He walked away, leaving Tao in disgusted shock before he was pulled out of his thoughts by a snort.  He turned to see Chen pulling out another key from his pocket, sliding it over the bar to Tao.  "Here, you can take this room for the night.  Your friend seems like a real jerk."

Tao sighed, rooting around his pockets for his pouch of gold.

"Yeah, he's something, isn't he?"

 

 

 

 

Walking down the long, winding hallway to his room, Tao passed by Kris' room.  Tao knew it was his - because the man was currently stripping down half , either not caring or not knowing that the door was still open. 

Tao paused in his steps.

The man was incredibly well built, solid shoulders and well defined muscles that shifted as the man rolled his shoulders, pulling his hands down from where they had been slowly lifting the shirt off of him.

Oh. 

Tao's mouth was suddenly dry.

He started to lift his hand to knock at the door, but stopped when he heard a distinctly feminine voice drifting out from within the room.  When she stepped into the view of the hallway, he recognized the buxom woman immediately as the waitress downstairs.  Full, luscious lips.  Long, beautiful hair.  She stepped up to the man, taking the shirt from him with a flirtatious smile and Tao's face suddenly burned with embarrassment.

He felt as if he had seen something he shouldn't have seen.

Tao turned quickly, squaring his shoulders as he began to stiffly walk toward his room, not noticing how his tasseled shawl gently pulled the door open wider, catching the attention of the pair within.

 

 

 

 

The distinctive baggy eyes Tao had were partly genetic, partly induced by his poor sleeping habits.

Because most nights, Tao stayed awake for as long as he could, keeping himself awake with pinches to the thigh and the arm.  It was a habit he had picked up as a child.  He wasn't sure if it was because of his fear of the dark, or the terrifying idea of what falling asleep for long periods of time meant, but he seldom liked sleeping.

And tonight was a night like any other.  He was pinching at his thigh again, using the tried and true method to prevent from dozing off, huddled up as he was against the foot of his bed.

It was beginning to become a losing battle as it eventually would, if not for the fact that there was suddenly a sharp, rapping noise against his window, drawing Tao back into a fully awake state.

Through the light of the moon, he could see the curiously perched creature that sat on the window sill, staring inwards with wide eyes.  It should have been rightly terrifying - feathers black as night, eyes gleaming in the darkness - but to Tao, it was a familiar sight.

He stood from his bed, sluggishly padding over to the window to let the black swan in, not batting an eye when he turned to see the form in front of him shifting - black feathers became black robes, wings spreading to become long, delicate arms, a crown of feathers becoming inky black hair. 

Tao gave a small smile to the human form that eventually appeared, rising from its hunched position on the floor.

"Hello Kyungsoo."

 

 

 

 

Although Kyungsoo was a technically a wicked witch, the term was by now old-fashioned.

Kyungsoo might have been Tao's witch, but the man was neither an old hag, nor as wicked as the name implied.

In fact, Kyungsoo had acted as both Tao's witch and his fairy godmother for the simple fact that his parents would have never been able to afford a good fairy godmother for him. 

Kyungsoo had been the one to curse Tao and his familiy to begin with, but to him, it was just a job.  The curse had been relatively quick and simple.  What lasted longer than the curse was the vigilant watch he was to keep over the young prince, for six years making sure the young boy grew into a young man safely, acting as both keeper and guardian in his mother and father's absence.

When he gave a small smile at Tao's greeting, he opened his arms quietly, feeling himself enveloped in a warm hug by the young man who was now much taller and larger than he was. 

The witch pulled back after a few seconds to hold Tao at an arms length, taking a look at the man closely for any injuries.

"Tao, thank the lord you're safe.  It took me forever to find you."

Tao flushed, knowing that this conversation would have come up at some point or another.  Even when the witch wasn't there, Kyungsoo always had some method to keep an eye on him.  There was no doubt in Tao's mind that Kyungsoo had known the entire time what Tao had been doing.

"You let me go without stopping us.  Why?"  Tao muttered, suddenly feeling like a child in the presence of the witch who had once held him in his arms as a baby.

Kyungsoo sighed, finally satisfied that besides a few scrapes and bruises, the young prince was still in perfect health. 

"What you do or don't do is up to you, Tao.  I thought that would be clear enough when I let you stay awake all of those years." 

"...but you're still worried?"

Kyungsoo rifled through Tao's pack, raising a hand to conjure up some more provisions whenever he noticed a shortage in the man's supplies.

"Of course I'm worried.  I kept you there for a reason - you were insulated, protected by my spell there.  Here?  I have no power over where you will go and who you will see.  I must tell you this, however - "

The witch whirled around now, lifting a powerful finger at the prince who did nothing but blink stoically back at him.  Kyungsoo's eyes were wide with warning.

"You've been awake far too long, Tao.  Now, more than ever, it's important for you to find your Prince Charming.  This companion of yours - "

"-Kris?"

"Yes, him.  He's a Prince Charming, right?  I don't exactly approve of the two of you traveling together, but all I can tell you is this:  Don't get attached.  Do you understand me?"

Tao frowned.  "Are you telling me I can't even be friends with him?"

Kyungsoo turned back to the window, climbing onto the sill as Tao followed, watching as his transformation began once again.

"Be careful being close to a man who is meant for another, Tao.  You'll only end up getting hurt."

In a blink of an eye, a black swan was in the place of where the witch once was, spreading open its wings as it leapt off the sill, sinking into the night sky. 

Tao watched his departure with a heavy heart, a hand lifted in the air in a gesture of goodbye that went unnoticed.

 

 

 

 

Tao had fallen asleep, just briefly.

He realized this when he woke up the next morning, to the sound of loud next door. 

The young prince muttered and pulled a pillow over his head, trying desperately to drown out the horrifying sounds coming from the room beside him.  It sounded like someone was dying.

Wait -

Tao lifted his head briefly, eyes squinting as he recognized the female voice - the buxom waitress from the night before.

Putting two and two together quickly, Tao gagged in disbelief, moving to pull on his clothes in a hurry.

As if Kyungsoo had anything to worry about - knowing that this was what Crown Prince Kris did in his free time was enough to put Tao off Kris completely.  He thought he had pegged Kris for someone completely different than who he ended up being, but Tao supposed it was something he should have expected.

After all, Prince Charmings had the luxury of being able to pick and choose whomever they wanted without consequence. 

But to think that someone who had seemed so set on his princess with the hair of sunshine gold, eyes as blue as the sea, Tao was surprised to see he would sink that low. 

Closing the door, Tao stumbled past the room in question with hands over his ears to block out the sound, making his way down the stairs in a clumsy, half-asleep gait.

He was halfway down the stairs when a voice called out to him.

"There you are.  I was wondering where you were - it's noon already.  Let's eat lunch and get out of here."

Tao looked up to see Kris seated at the bar with the same look of consternation on his face, two plates of steaming food out in front of him already, one in front of an empty seat.

He sat down in the other seat slowly, mind still racing with questions.

"You... weren't you sleeping right next door to me last night?"

"...Was I?  I might have been, but the mattress was terrible.  After I had my bath drawn I asked the barmaid to have me switched to the room down the hall.  Why?"

...Oh.

"No reason,"  Tao muttered, face suddenly flushing as he picked up his fork.  "I just... still need to wake up."

"...whatever.  Hurry up.  We're late as it is."

Tao began to eat quietly.  He heard a sigh from beside him and turned to see Kris staring at him with a particular look in his eyes.

"...Listen, I'm sorry, about yesterday."

Tao's fork paused and he froze, heart skipping a beat.  Don't tell me he saw me last night?

"...about?"

"...about the rooms.  It would have been the best use of our money if we had stayed in the same room - two beds, of course."

"Oh, that's... that's alright."  Tao muttered, frowning as he saw more food piling onto his plate.  He turned to see Kris moving food from his own plate.

"Eat up."

"But I-"

Kris' hard look made Tao click his mouth shut, obediently nibbling at his food.

"...Fine."