Chapter Two

Red Lines
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter
2 Bear Hugs

 

“I can’t think of anything to do with my cute, little chef on our date!” Hyukjae cried out as he dramatically hugged his plush bear. He definitely had tried to think of the best date ever but it had to suit him and Donghae at the same time, they needed to do something together but they still needed to be able to sit down and talk with each other. And he had to convince Donghae that they were compatible on top of that!

The doorbell rang and Hyukjae stood up, leaving his bear on the bed. He entered his living room and opened the front door. There stood a panting and severely sweating Kyuhyun. “I came as soon as you called! What’s the emergency?!”

Hyukjae didn’t answer him and looked in the hallway that lead to his apartment. “Where is Siwon? Isn’t he here? Oh no, but he’s the one who’s the romantic!” He exclaimed. He was almost sobbing now. This couldn’t be happening! Why didn’t he have any inspiration?

Kyuhyun was catching his breath and he looked confused at his best friend. “Why do you need the ‘romantic’ Siwon more than me?” Kyuhyun wouldn’t admit it but he felt quite offended that Hyukjae would rather talk to Siwon than to him.

Hyukjae was about to answer him when they heard the bell from the elevator. They both turned to the elevator. Kyuhyun because he was curious and Hyukjae full of hope that maybe his savior would be in that elevator.

And he was. The door opened and revealed a still perfect Siwon. He was quite the opposite of his two friends. Kyuhyun was sweating and panting, his head bright red because of the workout that he normally never did. While Hyukjae had bags under his eyes because he barely got any sleep that night, he still wore his pajamas and he looked downright pathetic. But even though Siwon had rushed over to help his best friend, he still looked great. It was important to him to maintain that perfect appearance on all times meaning that he worked out regularly so hurrying didn’t feel like a workout to him and he always wore his best outfits so there was no problem there either.

“Thank God, you’re here!” Hyukjae smiled at Siwon and then began to pull him and Kyuhyun into his apartment.

Kyuhyun walked to the kitchen and grabbed himself a glass of water while Siwon comfortably sat down on the couch with Hyukjae across him. Both felt completely at home in Hyukjae’s house since they spent their weekends together in one of their apartments, which was Siwon’s or Hyukjae’s most of the time since Kyuhyun never bothered to clean up his apartment. And frankly if it wasn’t cleaned in Kyuhyun’s apartment then you didn’t want to spend one minute in it, well that was unless your name was Kyuhyun.

“So what’s the matter?” Siwon asked, a concerned expression was visible on his face, while Kyuhyun just fell down in Hyukjae’s big chair.

“Yeah,” said Kyuhyun after he took a gulp of his glass of water, “I thought that you had to go on a date with Donghae in about…,” he checked his watch, “three hours?”

Hyukjae stared at the ground, completely defeated by tiredness. “Well, that’s just it! I have no idea where to take Donghae.”

“WHAT?!” Both Kyuhyun and Siwon sprung up from their seats. Siwon sat down again with an even more concerned look on his face while Kyuhyun stomped to the kitchen, he had to something else such as taking his glass to the kitchen, otherwise he would hurt his friend because of his stupidity.

“Why are you waiting to tell us this only three hours before you have the actual date?” Siwon asked.

“I thought that the perfect plan would come to me spontaneously like always but it didn’t…”

“But-” Kyuhyun sputtered as if he wanted to say something but there didn’t come any sentence out of his mouth. He was just to flabbergasted to say a word.

“Can you guys help me? Do you know what I should do?” Hyukjae asked desperately.

Kyuhyun nodded seriously and walked back to the chair. He looked Hyukjae deep in his eyes. “Yes, say to Donghae that you’ve become sick and postpone the date.”

Hyukjae’s eyes widened and his mouth fell open.

Siwon shook his head with a disapproving expression and he hit the back of Kyuhyun’s head. “Tsk, we can’t make him do that. It would ruin the whole experience!”

Hyukjae only looked thankful at his friend. “But then what should I do?”

Siwon frowned in thought. “I think that you’ll have to keep it simple. Donghae doesn’t look like he’s a person that wants to do something over the top. Maybe just dinner and a movie or something?”

Hyukjae shook his head. “I thought of that too but that is too common. He’ll think that I haven’t put any thought into this.”

“Well, you haven’t thought of anything so technically speaking he would be right.” Kyuhyun deadpanned and Hyukjae gave him a death glare.

But while Kyuhyun and Hyukjae were staring at each other, Siwon got the perfect idea and his eyes began to sparkle. Hyukjae caught that glint in Siwon’s eyes and he began to smile, he knew that he would get the best date because when Siwon had an idea, it never failed!

 

~:*:~

 

Hyukjae’s palms were sweating so much that he felt like he would dehydrate if this would keep on. Once again, he turned the heat of his car lower yet the sweating didn’t stop. He tried to concentrate on the music as he drove to Red Café. He softly bumped his head along the beat on the radio. He desperately hoped that this date would turn out because he wasn’t allowed to bother that cute, little chef again if Donghae didn’t like it. Hindsight, it hadn’t been such a good idea to risk everything for one little date, there were so many things that could go wrong and he had only one chance.

Hyukjae shook his head in order to let go of those disturbing thoughts and he just vigorously hoped that Siwon’s plan would work.

He parked in front of the café. It was dark inside the café but Hyukjae still could look inside because of the lamppost that stood in front of the café. The light shone inside and Hyukjae could distinguish the neatly placed chairs on top of the table. Would Donghae still be inside the building or would he come from his own house? The thought of Donghae walking all alone on the streets at night made Hyukjae squirm. He didn’t like that thought at all, and again he wished that Donghae had given him his home address.

In the corner of his eye he saw some movement and Hyukjae turned his head towards it. He squinted his eyes a bit but they widened in relief when he saw that it was Donghae.

Suddenly his heart was filled with glee and Hyukjae stepped out of the car to greet his date.

“Hello!” He lightly waved and in the distance he saw that Donghae turned his head upwards to meet his eyes.

“Oh, hi.” The cute, little chef absentmindedly said to Hyukjae. Hyukjae’s own smile faltered a bit. Donghae’s mood wasn’t the best one. He knew that if he messed up even a little bit, it would immediately be over for him but he wouldn’t let that happen.

Donghae walked to the car and hesitantly stood in front of its door. Hyukjae wondered if Donghae was waiting for him to open it like most girls would do or if Donghae was considering to walk away again.

“Get in, get in!” He tried to say as enthusiastically as possible. A bit startled, Donghae looked up and gave Hyukjae an unreadable expression again but he did open the door. And Hyukjae, already happy that Donghae decided that this date was worth his time, smiled brightly and stepped into the car too.

Hyukjae made himself comfortable behind the steering wheel and he took his time to get ready to drive away. He checked his mirrors carefully and then started the motor in the hope that they wouldn’t let him down. It had happened occasionally that the motor didn’t start and Hyukjae didn’t want to embarrass himself in front of Donghae. But luckily for him, Donghae was somewhere far away in his thoughts and he wasn’t really paying attention to what Hyukjae did.

So eventually Hyukjae drove away and while he mentally prayed that he remembered the correct way to go to their destination – he couldn’t afford a navigation system – he began to make some small talk.

“So, how was your day?” He asked as casually as possible and hoped that Donghae wouldn’t mind that he started with such an obvious silence breaker.

“Oh, it was alright.” Donghae answered but he didn’t elaborate and Hyukjae bit his lip, desperately trying to find another question.

“Weren’t there any annoying costumers?”

He saw that Donghae curiously looked at him from the corner of his eye. “Well, you weren’t there so no.”

Hyukjae began to laugh at that witty remark and he took a quick look to the side to see that the corners of Donghae’s mouth were slightly curling up. He felt like there fell a huge weight of his shoulders. They both fell in comfortable silence until Donghae broke it by saying: “Where are you taking us?”

Hyukjae smiled mysteriously: “You’ll see soon, we’re almost there.”

He saw noticed some movements and he quickly looked next to him, Donghae was squirming in

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter