Chapter Four

Red Lines
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter
4 Duck Out

 

From that point in the rain, Hyukjae and Donghae’s relationship actually began to form. Mainly because Donghae caught a cold from the rain and Jungsu absolutely refused to come now that Donghae had a boyfriend. So Hyukjae found himself the next day in front of Donghae’s front door for the second time.

Hyukjae gulped and tried to give himself some courage but it didn’t really work. Though he managed to work up enough courage to knock on the door. It was a timid, pathetic knock and Hyukjae actually wanted to knock again with hopefully a bit more style but Donghae already opened the door.

He had a thick blanket wrapped around his shoulders but Hyukjae could still see some parts of Donghae’s blue pajamas and orange slippers.

Donghae sneezed hard and Hyukjae focused on his boyfriend’s – he still smiled, every time he thought about that word – face. Donghae’s face was pale though his cheeks were blushing, Hyukjae wasn’t sure if it was because of him or because of the fever but he liked to think that it was because of him.

“Hyuk-,” Donghae couldn’t finish his sentence because of a sudden cough and Hyukjae was brought back to reality.

“Ah, you seriously shouldn’t be out of bed right now.” Hyukjae nagged as he pushed Donghae back inside the little apartment. Hyukjae closed the door behind him while Donghae began to shuffle away to his own room.

“Need some help?” Hyukjae asked as he quickly walked to his boyfriend – yes, he smiled again – and before Donghae could even answer back, Hyukjae swooped Donghae of his feet and began carrying him to the room that he presumed was the bedroom. Donghae was too sick to protest or even tell him where the bedroom was.

With a strange maneuver, Hyukjae managed to open Donghae’s bedroom door. He walked inside a small room that couldn’t be bigger than four by four meters of which the bed took up at least half of the space. The bed stood right in the middle of the room. It was a small double bed or a big single bed, it depended on how you looked at it. Other than that there was a small closet and two nightstands with lights on them and on the left one was an alarm clock.

Hyukjae put Donghae down right in front of his bed and while he let his hand rest on the smaller one’s back so that the other wouldn’t fall, he moved the sheets away so that Donghae could lay down. And as Donghae sat down, Hyukjae took that hideous, green blanket away from him so that Donghae could lay down comfortably.

Donghae laid down and Hyukjae put the sheets over him and tucked him in after which he placed the green blanket over the sheets so that Donghae wouldn’t get cold. He sat down on the edge of the bed and softly Donghae’s hair. He wanted to kiss his forehead but after giving it some thought that didn’t seem like the best idea because he could get sick from that.

“Is there anything else that you need?” He softly asked Donghae but the smaller one shook his head. “N-no, I’m alright. Really, Hyukjae, you don’t need to do anything else.”

Hyukjae frowned and shook his head. “You’re obviously not fine. When was the last time you ate?”

Donghae fidgeted with his sheets as he tried to avoid Hyukjae’s eyes. “T-this a-afternoon.”

Hyukjae sternly looked Donghae in the eye and after twenty seconds, Donghae reluctantly admitted: “Yesterday evening.”

Hyukjae smiled and before he knew it, he had already pressed a kiss on Donghae’s forehead as a reward. He cursed himself in his head for giving into the temptation but he knew deep inside that he didn’t regret it at all.

Hyukjae stood up and turned around to face Donghae. “I’ll go make some food for you. You try your best to get some sleep, okay.”

Donghae timidly nodded while still blushing because of the kiss.

Before Hyukjae walked out of the room, he closed the curtains and made sure that he flicked the light out.

Hyukjae softly leaned against the door. Guilt was eating him, after all this situation was partly his fault. He had chased Donghae into the rain yesterday, it was his fault that Donghae caught a cold from that.  

Hyukjae gave his own cheek a light slap. It wasn’t the time to go blaming himself, he had to focus now on getting Donghae better.

He looked around in the room. It was a kitchen, dining room and living room in one. A red color dominated the room. The kitchen counters of a rather well-equipped kitchen were red just like the small couch in the living room and a few walls. But the kitchen was the only thing that was well-equipped, the other parts of the house seemed barely furnished. In the living room only stood one white couch with red pillows and a small television on a wooden table. There weren’t any decorations or paintings. And the dining place only consisted of one wooden table that seemingly could break any second and two chairs that were in the same condition as that table.

The kitchen was the only thing that didn’t seem to be lacking anything. There was an oven, a stove, a microwave, a blender, a chopper, a knife sharpener, a set of knifes that seemed to vary from a little butter knife to a large butchers knife, various baking tools and a coffee machine.

As Hyukjae was inspecting the kitchen, he heard some small barks and before he knew it, he was on the ground. He froze immediately, listening for sounds from Donghae’s room but it stayed silent and Hyukjae averted his attention to the little dog that was looking at him with a kind of smug expression.

“Ah, you must be Yuki.” He concluded as he stared at the Maltese. The puppy barked as soon as she heard her name. Immediately Hyukjae pressed a finger against his lips, “Hush, you wake Donghae up.”

The white dog tilted her head a bit to the right. “Oh, don’t give me that. You know what I’m talking about.”

Hyukjae stood up again and walked to the kitchen. “First, I need a kettle.” He diligently began working on his masterpiece to make Donghae better. And he found everything and more in Donghae’s kitchen yet there was one thing missing but he couldn’t quite put his finger on it, so he shrugged it off.

And after a whole hour of struggling, he managed to make Donghae some warm tomato soup and a cup of chamomile tea. He placed it on a tray and carefully walked to the bedroom while Yuki trailed after him.

He managed to open the bedroom door with his pink and as silently as possible, he walked inside. The light that came from the living room shone a bit in the bedroom and Hyukjae had just enough light to see Donghae’s face.

His face was white but peaceful. Hyukjae was reluctant to wake the smaller one up but if he didn’t, the soup and tea would become cold and that was something that he didn’t want either because it was supposed to make Donghae better and it wouldn’t if it was cold.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter