Final

Unexpectedly

Your POV –

“Kim, annyeong” the usual barista, Xiumin greeted me from behind the cash register. “The usual?” he asked.

“You know me” I replied with a smile and made my way to my usual spot, a sofa seat in the corner that gives me a good view of the coffee making space. I took out everything I needed and started with my sketch.

“White Mochaccino” the barista called out.

“Aren’t you talented?” I said as I look at the latte art. “Thank you” I said as I took the cup of coffee back to my seat. The latte art on my coffee is always different. It was a leaf yesterday, a tulip the day before and a rosetta today. I don’t know why. But I like the different latte art I see on my coffee every day.

 

Xiumin’s POV –

“Kim, annyeong” I greeted the girl from behind the cash register. “The usual?” I asked her.

“You know me” she replied with the smile I love seeing on her face and made her way to her usual spot, a sofa seat in the corner that gives me a good view of her when I’m working on the customer’s orders. She placed her sketchbook on the table and took out her pencil case and started sketching. I’ve always wondered what she is sketching. “Probably school work” I thought as I start working on her orders.

“White Mochaccino” I called out.

“Aren’t you talented?” she said as she looks at the latte art. I chuckled and started rubbing the back of my neck. “Thank you” she said as she took the cup of coffee back to her seat. The latte art on her coffee are always different as I didn’t want her to keep seeing the same latte art on her coffee every single day and while, it’s a secret.

 

Xiumin’s POV –

“Hey. I’ll be leaving first” Luhan said

“Alright. Bye” I replied as I practice my latte art. “Hope I get it right this time” I said as poured the steamed milk into the cup of coffee.

“Urghhhh!!! That’s the fifth cup” I said as I look at the cup of coffee with the ruined latte art. “Why can’t I get it right?” I poured the cup of coffee into the sink and started on a new cup of coffee. “Hope I get it right this time”

“Finally” I said with a sense of achievement as I admire the cup of coffee with a tulip in the centre combined with a rosetta along the bottom and two series of hearts above it.

“Oh. It’s 5?” I asked in surprise like there’s anybody in the café. “Guess I will just stay here and prepare everything for the day”.

 

Your POV –

Just like every other day, I made my way to the café again.

“Annyeong. May I take your order?” a barista asked.

“White Mochaccino” I replied, scanning the entire café looking for that one particular barista. I went to my usual spot, feeling rather disappointed when I didn’t see him anywhere. Instead of sketching, I started fiddling around with my phone.

“White Mochaccino” I looked up to see Xiumin standing behind the counter with my White Mochaccino on the counter top. “Thank you” I said with a bright smile. I couldn’t hide how happy I was when I saw him. I went back to my seat and got started on my sketching with a happy heart.

 

Xiumin’s POV –

“Psst! I think she’s looking for you” Luhan told me with a cheeky smile and winked as I walked out of the washroom.

“What are you talking about?” I asked slightly annoyed.

“Aish! She was scanning the entire café looking for you when I was taking her order. And she looked so disappointed when she couldn’t find you. Look at her. She’s not even sketching. She’s just sitting there fiddling around with her phone.”

I looked up and indeed. She seems disappointed and instead of doing what she always does, she’s just fiddling around with her phone aimlessly. “She ordered her usual drink?” I asked Luhan while I was still staring at her. “Yup. White Mochaccino” Luhan replied.

“White Mochaccino”

“Thank you” she said with a bright smile. I could tell she was surprised and happy to see me.

“Welcome” I mumbled as she went back to her seat and started sketching. “She’s so cute” I chuckled to myself and got back to work.

 

Your POV –

I took small glances at the barista while doing my sketch. “He looks so cool when he’s serious” I thought as I stop sketching and stared at him with my chin resting on my knuckles.  “Oh sh*t!” I mumbled when I realized he caught me staring at him. I looked down immediately and got back to my sketchbook, pretending to sketch. “He must think I’m a creep. Aish!” I muttered under my breath.

“Stay focus Kim! Focus! Continue sketching!” I repeated the words in my head, trying to bring my focus back to my sketch.

 

Xiumin’s POV –

I couldn’t help but keep taking small glances at her when I’m working on the customers’ orders.

“She’s really attractive” I mumbled, probably a little too loud for Luhan to start teasing me.

“Indeed” I heard a teasing voice beside me said. I turned to see Luhan standing beside me, wiping cups dry.

“Yah! What are you doing? Why are you sneaking on me?”

“I’m wiping these cups dry, when I heard you say, ‘She’s really attractive’. You like her don’t you?” Luhan asked with a cheeky look on his face.

“What are you talking about? Get back to work before I fire you.”

“Oh? She’s staring at me?” I smiled when I took another glance at her. “Silly” I thought when I saw her a little panicked after our eyes met.

 

Your POV –

I was getting tired from sitting down and sketching for so many hours. I got up from my seat and went to the washroom to freshen myself up.

When I got back, I saw Xiumin clearing the table next to mine. It then hit me that I left my sketchbook open. I didn’t close it before I went to the washroom like I always do if I ever leave the table. “Sh*t. Hope he saw nothing.” I sat down and gave Xiumin a small smile as he smiled at me after clearing the table.

 

Xiumin’s POV –

I was clearing tables filled with coffee cups, plates and everything else that prevent the tables from being used by any customers. I was clearing the table next to Kim’s and she left her sketchbook open. I was tempted to take a look at what she’s sketching all the time she’s here at the café, but decided not to.

“Just one peek. One peek.” I told myself as I turned around to look at Kim’s sketchbook. “She’s sketching me making coffee?” my eyes widened when I saw what’s before me. “BACK TO WORK!” I snapped when I heard the sound of the washroom door open.

I smiled at Kim after I finished pretending to wipe the table next to hers, clean.

 

Your POV –

I was surprised to see a plate with a slice of New York Cheesecake placed in front of me. I looked up and see Xiumin standing in front of me, rubbing the back of his neck. “It’s on the house” he said.

“Thank you. But..” my voice trailed off when I saw the words on the plate. “Date?” it says. My eyes widened and I looked up at Xiumin who is looking at me nervously.

“So..” he began.

“Sure” I said shyly, looking away.

“If you don’t mind, 8pm later?” he asked. I nodded my head without looking at him since my face is still bright red like a tomato.

“See you later”

“See you later”

 

Xiumin’s POV –

Of course I was happy that Kim was sketching me making coffee. I mean, she’s sketching me of all the other barista working here! Okay, yes, there’s only Luhan and I, but still, she didn’t sketch Luhan. And come on! I like her! Wait, love her. I’m literally mentally jumping for joy!

I went back to the counter and prepared a slice of New York Cheesecake for Kim. “Date?” was what I wrote on the plate with chocolate syrup.

I walked up to her table and placed the slice of cheesecake on her table. “It’s on the house” I said as I rubbed the back of my neck.

“Thank you. But..” her voice trailed off. Her eyes widened and looked up at me. I stopped rubbing the back of my neck and looked at her nervously, waiting for her to reply to the words on the plate.  

“So..” I began

“Sure” she said shyly, looking away.

“If you don’t mind, 8pm later?” I asked. She nodded my head without looking at me.

“See you later” I said feeling really excited.

“See you later” she replied with a shy smile.