Chapter 2 : The Reunion

WHEN THE WORLD HAS COME TO AN END

Hakyeon is being pushed. He hisses in pain as his body hits the dusty wall, dropping down to the floor with a thud.

“Look what you’ve done” Hongbin says between his clenched teeth. Hakyeon stays silent.

“Hongbin, calm down,” a hand reaches Hongbin’s shoulder.

“Don’t touch me!”

Jaehwan is being shoved away as he tries to stop Hongbin from beating Hakyeon.

“If you agreed to move 3 days ago, none of this would happen!” Hongbin spits.

Hakyeon looks down, the guilt washes over him. He can still remember the look on Wonshik’s face before he dares himself to shoot in the head.

I don’t want to become like one of them.

“Look at me!” Hongbin grabs Hakyeon by the collar and pulls him up. “Did you see that? Wonshik sacrificed himself for us. He killed himself to save us from those….those walkers. And you know what? It’s all your fault!”

“Hongbin, enough!!” Taekwoon grabs Hongbin by his shoulder and yanks the younger away from Hakyeon. “We’re group, remember? Don’t blame the others when it’s not their fault.”

“Group?” Hongbin lets out a sarcastic laugh. “Is it considered as a group when you let the other die?”

Taekwoon goes silent. “Ha! Well well,” Hongbin approaches him, his face plasters with devilish smirk.

“Do you call yourself a friend? You left Wonshik behind. You could just save him—,“ Hongbin gets cut off when someone is practically grabbing his arm, signaling him to stop. “What?”

Hyuk holds his arm as he mouths please stop this, his eyes are b with tears which threatens to fall. Hongbin harshly retracts his arm away from Hyuk’s grasp, “You too? Do you still believe in this group after what happened down there, Hyuk-ah?”

Hyuk is perplexed, he looks around. His group. Hakyeon is totally broken down; Taekwoon, the guiltiness must be hurting him by now; and Ken, he does nothing but follows Hakyeon. “I—I don’t know, hyung.”

Hongbin laughs, “What do you not know? You’re not a child anymore, Hyuk. You have to decide, whether you like it or not.” Hongbin walks over, positioning himself in the middle of the room, “I’ll leave the group.”

Automatically, the eyes are all setting on him, doubling their sizes. “What?” Ken blurts out. “Are you insane? Hongbin, think about it again.”

“No, I’m sane enough to leave the group, hyung. I don’t want to get killed by some stupid mistakes.”

“Stop bringing that matter!” Ken shouts, anger surpasses him. “Don’t you know leaving the group means suicide? How can you live out there? We need people to keep us alive, we need to be together.”

Hongbin chuckles bitterly, “Is Wonshik still alive now? He’s surrounded by these people, until he’s dead. But what did you do when he’s near his death?”

“Then what did you do?” Hakyeon snaps.

“Huh?” Hongbin looks back, seeing Hakyeon slowly walks towards him.

“What did YOU do to save him?” He asks once again, emphasizing the word. Hakyeon now is fully facing him. His eyes are dark, it’s visible that he just cried, trail of tears are still left on his cheeks. His chest heaves up and down in fast rhythm.

The word hits right through Hongbin’s heart. What did I do to save him?

“You didn’t do anything either. You could just jump down and push him up, but what did you do? You only watched him fall.”

Hongbin falls silent.

“Hakyeon, please stop,” Taekwoon gets a hold of Hakyeon’s arm, intently examining the look on the older’s face and stopping him from going further. But Hakyeon quickly shoves it away, practically redeeming himself from the resistance.

“And you know what, we all did nothing to him,” Hakyeon scans his surroundings, bringing the matter of fact that actually they all didn’t carry out even just one tangible thing to save their friend. He takes a step closer to Hongbin as the latter lowers his head down; Hakyeon puts his hand on Hongbin’s shoulder, distinctly soothing the younger. And silence once again engulfs them.

“No,” Hongbin mutters. “It’s still your fault, hyung.” He flings away from Hakyeon’s warm hand and takes few steps ahead.

Hakyeon observes Hongbin’s emotions that are overflowing on his face. “Why?” He asks. Hongbin doesn’t say a word on the next 3 seconds.

“Because you let him lose hope.”

And that day, Hongbin decides to leave the group, but he isn’t alone, Hyuk tags along with him. Hakyeon is sad to let both of them go, apparently when necessity is the only thing Hakyeon see on Hyuk’s weary face. Hyuk is like a brother to him, but one thing he feels relieve about; at least Hongbin gets a friend to talk to, get a help when he needs to, and shoulder to lean on to.

***

It’s been 3 months since the separation. The situation is getting worse, walkers are numbering in various places. They become ferocious since their foods are becoming less and less. The world is filled with their presence, human kind turns into something scarce. They’re no longer being the conquerors of the world, the human. And when life is harder to predict, that’s when the heart starts to crack. It’s barely able to withstand and until the time comes, it eventually gives up.

Hakyeon walks down the empty road, Taekwoon and Ken follow behind. Sometimes he will stop to examine dead bodies, if they have any useful things to keep. Life is much difficult for them to defend, they all know that. But it’s even more difficult to yield their lives for them. Urges to keep on breathing, to keep standing no matter what happens, and to keep protecting themselves are much more higher than surrendering their lives.

Two weeks ago, Ken was so desperate to save himself when a walker out of nowhere jumped on him and almost took his precious life away. Taekwoon had his arm grazed on the spiky-sharp wooden door to aim his gun on the walker to spare the younger’s life. Ken broke down after realizing his mistake and Taekwoon had to whisper him that everything is fine, it isn’t your fault, and we still have each other. Hakyeon definitely saw them with his own pair of eyes; he can feel his heart start to shatter, voices in his head scream, asking him to stop. Please stop, I can barely hold on.

“Hyung! Look!!” Ken suddenly yells, he walks further to the strange-looking car. It’s split into half. The doors are broken, it’s like they’ve been tampered by some kind of dull object several times.

“Bandits,” Hakyeon murmurs. “They’re here. Be on guard, they might show up later. We only have two chocolate bars and an apple, we can’t lose them.”

Taekwoon nods; he reloads his shotgun and counts his remaining ammos in his pocket. He knows how dangerous bandits are, they like to steal supplies from the weakling, especially when their opponents are outnumbered. They don’t understand the word mercy and they don’t do one. Taekwoon thinks they’re even worse than walkers.

The three of them continue walking, still staying alert. The environment puts them at disadvantage as fog starts to envelop their surroundings. Hakyeon curses in his mind; he walks in steady steps, trying to make soundless. Silence covers them, only Ken’s heavy breaths are heard. “Ken, just breathe normally. Stay low and focus,” Hakyeon whispers. He can see Ken nodding at his command through the hideous mist.

Another steps and the fog is thickenings; it hinders their visions from what lies ahead. And then there is a high-pitch scream. Hakyeon’s breath hitches. Ken.

“Hyung!” Another scream. Hakyeon fastens his pace; but he’s lost in the fog, losing his directions. “Ken! Where are you??”

He still runs in circle before someone grabs his arm. He’s blindly trashing everywhere, managing to set his body free from the grasp.

“Hakyeon, it’s me,” He stops after hearing the familiar voice, Taekwoon.

“Taekwoon? Where’s Ken?” Hakyeon turns around, facing his friend. Taekwoon’s signaling himself to stay quiet and mouthing, “The bandits. They got him.”

Hakyeon’s eyes widens; he frantically moves forward but Taekwoon won’t release his grip. “What?” Hakyeon halts; his face shows annoyance, “We have to save him.”

Taekwoon doesn’t answer; he brings Hakyeon along as he walks to a certain direction and Hakyeon follows. Taekwoon works in silence and calmness and that’s the reason why the three of them survive this far.

“There,” Taekwoon points at a blurry place. Hakyeon has to narrow his eyes and somehow forcing his sight to get a better view of it. Taekwoon finds ‘their’ camp. The bandits’ camp.

“How can we get there?” Hakyeon asks, but Taekwoon doesn’t say a word. The camp seems quiet, but who knows there are more bandits in some tents. He quickly crouches down and silently guides Hakyeon to hide behind a big truck.

Ken is still screaming out loud before one of the bandit knocked him out, drifting him to unconsciousness. Hakyeon gasps, “Ken.” He looks around to find Taekwoon has moved to another place, hiding himself behind a poor-built rampart. Taekwoon gives another sign for him that it’s clear and it’s time for him to move over.

There are about four or five bandits staying in the camp, bandit with cap on just drags Ken near the fire camp and drops his body. He fumbles his hands all over Ken’s body, groping every pockets and visible places in the poor boy’s clothes. Luckily, their supplies are in Taekwoon’s backpack.

“This guy has nothing,” he talks to the bandit with the varsity jacket on his left side. “Should we just kill him and dispose his body somewhere?”

The other guy shakes his head; he takes cigarette and lighter from his jacket pocket and starts to smoke. He in the poison before letting out a round smoke that rapidly blending with the fog. “Don’t. He might be useful for informing something.”

Taekwoon narrows his eyes as the bandit continues, “Or we can use him to hunt some supplies and let him in as our ally.”

Hakyeon let out a shaky breath, his body shudders hearing their conversations. Taekwoon notes it. He has to move faster or Ken won’t be able to be with them again. Their friend’s life is in danger and they don’t want to lose another friend for their dear life.

“Come on,” Taekwoon’s signaling the older to follow him, hiding in the shadow of car wreckage. He tells Hakyeon to reload his gun and sets it up, getting ready to shoot, “On three, I’ll charge for the left side, covering you up and you go to the right side, shoot the man in cap and rescue Ken.”

Hakyeon nods at the brief command before watching Taekwoon counts down the time. As Taekwoon says, “Three!” Hakyeon moves as fast as he can, aiming the man in cap and successfully sending him down, headshot. Another gunshots are heard, two fallen bodies are seen. Hakyeon hurriedly crouches down and shakes Ken’s body hard. The latter stirs a little before finally opens his eyes wide, “Hyung.”

“Get up,” he lifts Ken’s body up as he gives the younger another handgun. Hakyeon looks around, searching for Taekwoon’s presence. Taekwoon is spotted to send another signal to move out. Hakyeon nods while grabbing Ken’s arm and leads him out the camp. The fog isn’t diminishing even a little as Hakyeon fastens his pace.

Then a gunshot is heard; he can feel the person behind him jerks slightly as he tightens his grip on the person’s hand. He charges forward as Taekwoon’s figure starts to come into view. But Hakyeon falls in the midway as Ken’s body tumbles down, sending them both to the cold ground. Another gunshot rings through Hakyeon’s hearing. He blinks slowly before seeing Ken breathing heavily and mumbles a soft, “Hyung.”

Without second thought, Hakyeon pulls Ken up and slings Ken’s arm over his shoulder, apparently helping him to walk. Taekwoon shots another bullet and speeds up to the two. “He got shot.” Hakyeon’s face crumples. Ken gets shot.

“I’ll be fine, hyung,” Ken smiles, “Don’t worry.”

Taekwoon clicks his tongue as he lifts Ken’s body onto his back. Ken winces in pain. “Save your breath for later.”

Hakyeon is directing the way while Taekwoon carries the semi-conscious man on his back, “Hang in there, buddy.” Ken doesn’t give any responses and it worries him more.

There’s a commotion behind them, Hakyeon dares himself to look back to find more bandits come after them. “. Taekwoon, they’re catching us.”

Taekwoon feels hard to breathe, Ken’s body on his back keep on pressing him, somehow blocking his lungs to gain more oxygen in. The fog isn’t helping at all. The road ahead is unclear and full of uncertainties and Taekwoon is currently fighting off the urge to give up. He can feel his legs getting lighter and lighter before tasting the dirt in his mouth as his body collapses down.

“Taekwoon,” Hakyeon yelps. Dozens of bandits are approaching them in fast pace, shooting them with bullets and arrows. “Taekwoon, wake up!”

Taekwoon almost loses his hope, willing to end his life on bandits’ rough hands; but a blinding light shines before his eyes and a van comes to his sight. “Get in, quick!”

The stranger stops his van near him and Hakyeon opens the door in split second before helping him and Ken to enter the van. The bandits are still yelling in fury, they don’t stop firing as the van drives off.

Another lucky day.

***

“I’m Jongin and he’s Kyungsoo. I don’t know what happened to the three of you but I guess you had some problems with those bandits back there,” the dark-skinned guy starts the conversation. He pulls a chair and snappily sits on it. Hakyeon smiles, “Thank you for the help. We won’t survive if you didn’t come.”

Jongin smiles back; he grabs two mineral water bottles and hands them to Hakyeon. Hakyeon mutters a small thanks before handing it over to Taekwoon.

“Where are you guys going? I guess you wandered from one place to another and coincidentally ran up to some bandits on your way,” Jongin continues, his lips twitches in such a good angle which shows a handsome smile on his face. Hakyeon nods, lowering his head as his fingers play on the bottle cap. “Yes. The fog was blocking our way.”

Jongin hums in agreement, “That place is their hideout. I don’t know why the fog is only covering that area. Maybe for that reason, those bandits use it to build their camp.”

Hakyeon nods once again.

“One of my friend died when some bandits attacked our van while we were crossing that area. He was shot in the head,” Jongin utters softly. Hakyeon notices the sadness on the stranger’s face.

“I’m sorry,” Hakyeon breathes. Somehow, Hongbin and Hyuk’s images come in his head. How are they? What are they doing right now? Are they still alive?

“Luhan was a really good guy, though,” Jongin is looking at the ground, “There were five of us in the van. We lost three of them. One got killed by the bandits, one ran away, and the other one was killing himself.”

Hakyeon looked up, Jongin is setting his eyes on him. “Ran away? Suicide?” He asks.

Jongin smiles sadly before nodding, “Sehun was running away because I asked him to.” Hakyeon stays silence, expecting him to finish. “He wanted to kill Kyungsoo. It’s good that I succeed to distract him, the bullet’s missed Kyungsoo’s head. He said I treated Kyungsoo better than him and I think he got jealous,” Jongin exhales sharply. “It hurts me the most. Sehun was one of my best friend.”

“And the suicide,” Jongin pauses. “Taemin did it. He shot himself in the head. He was so desperate and I didn’t think he would do such a thing because…because he looked so strong.” Jongin’s eyes are tearing up. “I never thought he would kill himself in the first place since he’s the one who always encouraged us when we’re barely holding on.”

Hakyeon caress Jongin’s back slightly and Jongin whispers, “Thank you.”

“Anyway, I’m sorry I haven’t asked your name,” Jongin abruptly straightens his body up.

“Oh, I’m Hakyeon, this is Taekwoon. And the injured guy is Ken,” Hakyeon starts to introduce themselves one by one. He tells how he murdered his parents, how he met five of them, how they’re used to be six in one house and about the walkers attacked, how he’s in grief of losing one of his friend, and then how they ended up with just three of them. “It’s been three months and I don’t know how they are holding up until now.”

Jongin scoots closer to Hakyeon as he puts a serious face, “The same for me. I lost my parents, my friends, my everything and now I’m living in a moving van with a doctor.”

Before Hakyeon can react, Kyungsoo suddenly comes into view with the bloody gloves on his hands, “He lost too much blood.” And his face doesn’t really look good.

Hakyeon and Taekwoon let out a gasp in unison. “But I’ve taken out the bullet already.” Kyungsoo smiles, but Hakyeon notices something off, Kyungsoo’s face somehow hides something.

“Is he really going to be fine?” Hakyeon asks. Kyungsoo gives a reluctant answer as he says yes.

“Jongin-ah, let’s talk for a moment,” he turns his gaze towards Jongin and brings him away from the two. Jongin excuses himself before following the other. Hakyeon sees them whispering at each other, they put on some serious faces as their eyebrows furrow together while talking.

“Taekwoon-ah, will Ken be alright?” Hakyeon looks at his side, seeking for answer. It’s not because Taekwoon always has the answer he wants to hear, but because sometimes Taekwoon knows how the reality plays in their life. Hakyeon knows Taekwoon won’t lie to him when it comes to the fact that their world is actually shattering into pieces. Hakyeon knows that Taekwoon also knows Ken isn’t going to be fine.

Taekwoon brings his palms on his face, inhaling deeply while closing his eyes. He shakes his head for the seconds ahead. And Hakyeon knows the answer before Kyungsoo comes to him and tells the truth that Ken can’t be saved anymore.

“You have to kill him.” Kyungsoo stated afterwards. Both Hakyeon and Taekwoon looks up, eyes bewildered. “Why? You said he’s dead already.”

“He will soon change to be like them,” Kyungsoo explains, Jongin is standing behind him.

“What?” Hakyeon shrieks, “But he’s not bitten. He only got shot.”

Kyungsoo closes his eyes, but Jongin’s warm hand on his shoulder brings his eyes awake, “I know it’s hard for you to handle, but we’ve seen many of our friends changed into them even though they’re not bitten. The thing is as soon as he’s dead, he’ll turn into them.”

Hakyeon looks at Taekwoon who has the same terrified expressions. Taekwoon only sighs in silence.

“Are you sure?” Hakyeon’s voice cracks as he gets a painful answer, Kyungsoo nods.

“But I—Oh God,” Hakyeon’s body slumps down, Taekwoon doesn’t fail to catch his fall. “But Ken is—“

Taekwoon rubs Hakyeon’s back softly, even though his heart aches more.

“I think you should do—“ Kyungsoo’s word gets cut off as a loud strange noise comes from inside the van, where Ken gets treated.

“God! Jongin!” Kyungsoo screams as a figure dashing out the van and hungrily flailing his arms towards Jongin. Jongin is too perplexed to grab his gun and shot. The figure grabs Jongin arms but then it collapses down as a loud bang was clearly ringing in the atmosphere. Taekwoon had his weapon pointed at Jongin. He killed the walker. He killed Ken.

***

Hakyeon and Taekwoon agree to move together with the couple. Living in the van is much safer than wandering around by foot. It’s good that Jongin and Kyungsoo welcome them as their new family. They have enough supplies for the four of them. They also have their own rules on how to gather foods, meds, and ammos. Hakyeon and Taekwoon get used to it in no time.

“We’re running out of fuel,” Jongin reported as he keeps fixing his gaze on the road. Kyungsoo walks to the front seat to check if there’s a gas station nearby. “I’ll tell you if I see one.”

Fifteen minutes later, a gas station is seen and Jongin turns the wheel to the right to stop at one of the counter. An abandoned convenient store is in background. “I’ll go check,” Hakyeon volunteers himself to examine the store, hoping there will be some useful stuffs to keep.

“I’ll go with you,” Taekwoon tags along.

The convenient store still has its light on. Few of the shelves are empty, some people might find this place and took some of snacks and other tools. Hakyeon slowly steps in further, looking for foods and medicines. Some snacks are beyond the expiry dates. He goes to the medicine shelf and takes saline liquids, band-aids, and pain relievers but he stops in his track as a strange noise is clearly audible. Walker.

Hakyeon gets his gun ready before softly walks to the source of noise. A figure is crouching down, facing a dead body, it’s certain that walker is stopping by at this convenient store as well. The walker stops munching as Hakyeon accidentally nudges some stuffs and makes noises. The walker sniffs for a while before turning his its head directly at the human behind. Hakyeon had his gun ready as he’s placing his finger on the trigger before the sight in front of him tears his world down.

“Hongbin?”

To be continued...


A/N: Thank you so much for those who subscribing, commenting, and reading kkk XD FYI, I love cliffhanger, so bear with me okay? :)

Stay tune for the next chapter^^

Comments and subscribers are greatly loved :)