Chapter 1 : Sacrifice

WHEN THE WORLD HAS COME TO AN END

Hakyeon is laying on the dirty sofa, folding his left arm as his pillow. He throws his gaze on the high ceiling above. The ceiling is so up high that he can’t see the discolored paint begin to form.

He’s been laying down for a good thirty minutes. Mind blank. He doesn’t know why but he’s enjoying this. The feeling of resting his brain for a while, this comfortable feeling. This feeling he’s been longing for a long time.

Hakyeon was in peaceful mind before the scene of slashing and firing are replaying in his head. Growling, hauling sounds are attached to his brain, playing over and over again like an endless rhyme.

The once a beautiful figure turned into a rotten, decomposed one as they keep on walking. There’s no one controlling them. They’re uncontrollable. They eat everything. They walk everywhere, no direction. They’re not human anymore.

And Hakyeon calls them Walkers.

It’s bitter when you have to slash your own mother. It’s painful when you have to break your father’s neck.

The world isn’t the same place he once lived before. The world is different. The world has changed. It’s not changing to be a better place. The world has become a wasteland.

It’s been 6 months. A sentence comes up in his mind.

Cha Hakyeon has been living in a wasteland for 6 months. Six months of struggling. Struggling to keep alive because the world isn’t friendly anymore.

Meeting new companies were a great relief. Finding a good-abandoned house was his luck. The house provides them with enough supplies, foods, beds, including handguns and ammos.

Hakyeon and his five companies are the lucky one. Why? Because they survive.

Since the world isn’t friendly as it was, hiding is the only thing they can do for the time being.

Money? It isn’t even worth to fight for.

But nothing lasts forever. Nothing. Including friendship. Loyalty. Life. Who knows?

Hakyeon only thinks about tomorrow. Because tomorrow is his hope. Because when there’s no tomorrow, there’s no hope.

-

“Hyung,” a voice resonates through the big house. Hakyeon turns his head to the boy who abruptly comes into view.

“Our supplies are getting low,” the boy with deep voice speaks. “We have to move soon.”

Hakyeon doesn’t answer.

“How many days?” Another voice responds.

“Huh?”

“For how many days the supplies can keep us alive?” The figure repeats.

“I think it’s about 3 days.”

-

There’s a crack on the wall near the kitchen. Hakyeon notices it. This house has come to its last. The house can’t hold any longer.

“We have to move,” a deep voice breaks the silence.

It’s been three days.

“Yes, I agree with Wonshik. We have to get the hell out of here soon. We’re running out of food,” The handsome-looking boy sends an agreement as he gives a light tap on Wonshik’s shoulder.

“Don’t be stupid. It’s dangerous outside,” Taekwoon says, eyes looking down at the book he’s currently reading.

He’s right.

“But hyung, we don’t have anything to eat start from today,” the handsome boy states. A hint of worries is slightly heard.

That’s our problem.

 “We can just looking for some food in another place, Hongbin,” Taekwoon looks up.

“But—“

“Look what this house does to us. It protects us from those walkers outside,” he continues, his right arm stretches as his finger points at the window, referring the outside world.

It’s safer here.

Wonshik stands up and walks over the older, intending to defend Hongbin before Jaehwan butts in between the two.

“Hyung, calm down,” Jaehwan puts his hand on Taekwoon’s shoulder before turning his head around to face Hongbin.

“Bin-ah, I know we’re running out of food. But moving out isn’t a good option right now,” he explains.

Hongbin fails to hide his disappointment as he lets out a deep sigh. Hakyeon doesn’t fail to notice.

“Then what should we do now, hyung?”

“We’ll hunt outside. Gather some foods and meds as many as we can,” Hakyeon answered. “This is the safer way to keep living, Bin-ah.”

Hongbin nods briefly. He doesn’t like the hunting plan though, but he needs to follow the group order, or else he’ll be abandoned. And he doesn’t like being alone.

Hakyeon walks over the younger and wraps him with his long arms, giving a comforting hug. “Don’t lose hope, Bin-ah. I know we can survive for another day.”

There’s a doubt on Hakyeon words, because he isn’t really sure if he could make into another day. He isn’t sure if he can live in this world anymore.

That day, they survived because of Jaehwan’s little action. Jaehwan shared to others some of his food he’s been keeping for himself.

Sacrificing is the most loyal thing happens in this new world.

-

“Have you reloaded your handgun, Hyuk?” Hakyeon asks as he takes some ammos with him.

“Yes hyung,” Sanghyuk replies with confident smile plastered on his face.

“Fully reloaded?”

“Yes.”

“Good,” Hakyeon gives a fatherly smile before going out his room to check on Jaehwan’s.

“Jaewhan-ah.”

Jaehwan is somehow filling his bag with many things, including the diary. He has been writing on his daily journal since the big incident happened.

Jaehwan hums at Hakyeon’s call, barely moves his head to face the latter.

“Have you reloaded your gun?” Hakyeon walks past some empty boxes before getting at the busy guy.

“Yes,” Jaehwan answers, reaching his hand to his handgun, showing it to the older afterwards.

“Good then,” Hakyeon smiles. Jaehwan smiles back before putting the gun into his bag.

“I hope I won’t use this gun in the next hours,” Jaehwan utters. Hakyeon lets out a smile before patting Jaehwan’s shoulder, whispering, “I hope so.”

Hakyeon walks back downstairs as he lets a deep sigh. Taekwoon notices Hakyeon’s uneasiness for the past 2 hours and he knows why. He knows because he feels the same.

Of course he does. When your life isn’t safe anymore.

Once you step outside the house, the guarantee of you being alive in the next hours expires.

And now, they have to take that chance. The house can’t provide them anymore. If they want to see the sunrise tomorrow, they have to leave.

Taekwoon stands up from his seat and goes to Hakyeon’s direction. But before he can land his hand on Hakyeon’s shoulder, a loud bang was heard.

Taekwoon gasps. His eyes immediately looks at Hakyeon who’s currently setting his eyes on him.

A scream is heard.

“It’s Hyuk! Come on, Taekwoon,” Hakyeon runs upstairs, searching for Hyuk’s presence.

“Hyuk-ah, where are you?” Jaehwan shouts. He almost hits Taekwoon on his way searching for the same person.

“Hyung, help!” Hyuk yells. His voice is quivering with fear.

Hakyeon dashes to the next room behind him and hurriedly opens the door, revealing the sight of Sanghyuk pushing the walker’s head from his neck. The corpse makes an angry noises as it tries hard to move his head closer to its victim.

Hakyeon is ready to aim the walker before another bang rings throughout the room and it collapses to the ground. Dead.

He looks at his left side to find Wonshik holding his gun with his finger’s still on the trigger. Wonshik killed it.

Hakyeon’s eyes widens as he runs to the maknae, kneeling beside him, “Are you okay Hyuk-ah?”

Sanghyuk only nods and looks up, mouthing thank you to Wonshik.

“How can it get here?” Jaehwan kneels, asking the younger. Sanghyuk’s mouth moves but there’s no sound come out. His eyes widens at the sight before him.

“Hyung, look out!” Hyuk lets out a scream as his eyes darts to the scene playing behind Jaehwan.

A hungry walker grabs Taekwoon’s hand and is ready to take a bite of his flesh before Wonshik aims at the monster and clicks the trigger, sending the walker down.

“They’re here already!”

The six of them starts to get out of the room in frantic and hazy mind. But before they can think what they should do next, a wave of moving corpses are invading their house.

What’s happening?

“Wh—what happen? How did they get here?” Hongbin is panicking.

“No idea. Let’s get moving. They’re getting numbered.”

Hakyeon holds Sanghyuk’s hand as they keep moving. Taekwoon is running beside him, he fixes his gaze on looking the way out.

The crack on the wall has become a big hole, more walkers come in. They’re breaking in.

“There. They come all the way here because of that hole,” Hakyeon utters, finger pointing at the wall.

Hongbin darts his eyes to the huge gape on his left. Many walkers walk in, it seems like they already knew about the house is their source of food.

Five of them keep running, steadying their steps as they pass number of doors.

Jaehwan stops as he sees the dead end. They’re trapped in a narrow corridor.

.

The sound of footsteps are getting clearer. The noises are getting louder. The hungry walkers are getting closer.

Hongbin runs his finger through his hair. “Hyung, what should we do now?”

Taekwoon searches for any sign of place to hide. He roams his eyes through the narrow corridor.

“Hyung, I’m scared,” Hyuk whimpers. He presses his body to Hakyeon’s.

Same here Hyuk-ah.

Hakyeon slowly pats the younger’s head without words.

The walkers are approaching. It begins with one walker and followed by another one and then another one. They walks slowly while making strange noises.

Wonshik is ready to aim and then he pulls the trigger as one walker falls to the floor.

Hongbin joins.

Hakyeon shoots another bullet.

Sanghyuk makes another walker drops down the floor.

“How many bullets left do you have?” Wonshik yells between the gunshots and the sound of cracking skulls.

“Three.”

“Four.”

“Three,” Hakyeon answers while steadying himself for another shot.

Wonshik sighs before proceeding to shoot again, “Okay, shoot as many walkers as you can.”

Taekwoon just killed one walker before noticing a strange rope hanging on the roof. He grabs the rope and pulls it down to reveal a passage to the attic.

“Guys! Go upstairs!” Taekwoon holds Hakyeon’s arm to stop firing and drags him to the stairs.

He grabs Sanghyuk, Hongbin, and Jaehwan before getting himself ready go up.

“Wonshik, come on!” He holds Wonshik by his arm and starts to climb up.

As he steps on the middle stairs, there’s a crack sound before the whole stairs collapses to the floor. Broken.

.

“Hyung!” Hongbin screams at the sight of Taekwoon and Wonshik falling to the floor.

“Oh my God, Taekwoon, Wonshik, are you guys okay? Hurry! Grab my hand,” Hakyeon stretches his arm out. Hongbin follows, “Grab my hand too.”

Taekwoon quickly grabs Hakyeon’s hand but it fails. It’s too high for him too reach.

The noises behind him become louder as another walkers appear.

“!” Wonshik hisses.

Taekwoon’s still trying to grab Hakyeon’s hand by jumping but to no avail, it’s useless. Wonshik tries to grab Hongbin’s hand but he meets the same fate as Taekwoon.

“Hyung.” Hyuk is crying.

Jaehwan is searching for something to bring his friends up, but he can’t find any.

“Hyung, how many bullets left?” Wonshik asks.

“I’m 5, you?”

“Two. Okay, give me your gun,” Wonshik takes Taekwoon’s gun before the older can protest. He abruptly kneels down, “Come on, I’ll push you up.”

“Whaa—,“ Taekwoon is being dragged to sit on Wonshik’s shoulder as the younger pushes himself up. He can’t let out any words. Wonshik starts to pull the trigger, killing another walker.

“Go grab Hakyeon’s hand, hyung!” Wonshik yells as he manages to steady himself. Taekwoon’s weight is surely distracting. He keeps on shooting some walkers with the remaining bullets.

Taekwoon is soon being pulled up by Hakyeon and Hongbin. And now he is safe.

“Wonshik-ah!” Hakyeon screams, luring his hand out. He knows that it’s impossible for Wonshik to grab his hand, but he just does it.

“Come on, hyung,” Hyuk shouts.

Wonshik doesn’t even respond to the calls as he sends another walker down.

Another gunshot and scream of Wonshik’s name, and then there is silence. Only grunting noises are heard.

“Wonshik-ah,” Taekwoon calls.

Wonshik stops firing and looks up. Smiling sadly.One bullet left.

The sound of footsteps and growls won’t stop. It’s getting louder each the time ticks.

The smile on Wonshik’s face doesn’t disappear. The rest of his friends looks back at him. They know what will happen next as If it’s written on Wonshik’s face.

No.

“Wonshik-ah, grab my hand, hurry. Guys, lower me down.” Hakyeon pushes himself forward as the others hold him from behind.

“Come on!” Hakyeon yells, stretching his arm even more.

Wonshik shakes his head.

“No hyung.”

“Don’t act stupid, Wonshik-ah. We can still help you. We can still pull you up!”

Wonshik lowers his head, looking at the sight in front of him. Numbers of walkers are heading on his way. Their dead eyes, even though it’s dull, it’s dead, but it’s reflecting hunger.

Wonshik can see them.

And he can see what he’s becoming if he doesn’t do it in the next minute.

He doesn’t want to become like one of them. None of them wants to be like one. None.

Wonshik decides to lift his hand higher. Higher until it reaches his head level. Higher until the gun in his hand meets his temple.

“No!” The rest of them screams, yelling at the boy below them. Yelling at him to stop.

But Wonshik has decided. And once he made a decision, no one can interfere.

“Don’t lose hope, Wonshik-ah. Grab my hand quickly. We still have time,” Hakyeon bends his body as far as he can. He can feel some of his muscle tenses up.

“No hyung,” Wonshik answers. His voice is full of bitterness. He’s sorry that he can’t even hide it.

“Wonshik! Don’t you dare—“

“Because there’s no hope, hyung,” Wonshik cuts off.

It’s the first time Hakyeon hears Wonshik’s voice is so desperate. So weak. So hopeless.

Wonshik hates this. He doesn’t like showing his weak side to others. But what’s the point of hiding it when your life has come to an end.

“I found the rope!” Jaehwan suddenly shouts from behind. He runs to the rest and brings the rope down, hoping that Wonshik grabs it and survives.

But it’s too late. They’re just late. They’re too late to realize that their friend below has lost his soul.

None of them knows Wonshik closes his eyes as a drop of tear streams down his cheek.

The next thing they see is the reality. A body of his friend drops dead to the floor after a loud bang between the growling noises was clearly heard.

Wonshik’s body falls on the cold ground. A trickle of blood trails down from his right temple.

Their friend’s body soon covered by moving corpses.

Hakyeon closes his eyes as his body being pulled up.

The munching sound breaks the silence. The sound of broken bone lingers in the narrow room.

And then the door is closed.

-To Be Continued-


A/N: I'm sorry for killing Ravi ;A;;

What do you guys think about the chapter?? LOL

Subscribers and comments are highly appreciated^^