Chapter 3 : Selfish Decision

WHEN THE WORLD HAS COME TO AN END

LAST CHAPTER!! TT__TT


“Hongbin?” Hakyeon stars at the walker before him. The walker doesn’t reply, it only lets out a growl and sniffs around. Its body has begun to decompose; but some part of it are still recognizable. And it still looks like the Hongbin. His Hongbin.

The walker takes a step closer, Hakyeon doesn’t lower his gun as he holds his breath, “Hongbin-ah. It’s me, Hakyeon.” Hakyeon’s voice sounds like a plea rather than a statement; his face goes paler. He’s actually happy; he’s glad to see his old friend, but not like this, not in this state. He can’t say how his world collapses down seeing the view in front of him. How did you become like this?

There’s a sound of footstep approaching and Hakyeon looks at his side, Taekwoon is heading his way, “Hakyeon, what—,” the younger trails off as he notices another presence; his eyes are widening.

“Is that…is that Hongbin?” he whispers, eyes barely leave the walker. It’s quiet strange that the walker doesn’t attack them once it spots humans who only 2 meters close. Hakyeon nods at Taekwoon’s curiosity. “Yes, he was.”

The two were too absorbed in looking at the calm walker before they realize that it has made swift moves. The walker flails its arms, clawing at the target, Hakyeon. Both of them aren’t fast enough to react. Hakyeon jolts in surprise as he drops his gun down; but he manages to take a hold of the walker’s head. Pushing it off as far as he can. Hongbin, please.

In the same time, Taekwoon has grabbed his gun and pointed it at the helpless walker, ready to shoot.

“Don’t!” Hakyeon quickly shouts, stopping the latter in his track. Taekwoon snaps, a questioning look decorates his face. He simply mouths, “Why?”

Hakyeon shakes his head, still defending himself from the creature. Taekwoon frowns, his face somehow says, “Are you insane?”

“Hakyeon, he’s no longer Hongbin we used to know,” Taekwoon carefully pulls out a sentence, his hands are steadily holding the gun. “Look, he doesn’t even know us.”

Hakyeon pretends not to listen Taekwoon’s words, just because they’re right. Taekwoon is absolutely right. Hakyeon looks at the walker in the eyes once again, trying to find a reflection of him but what he sees are just a pair of opaque marbles; only reflecting emptiness. The usual warmth he always felt isn’t there.

Once more, the reality hits him. Hongbin is gone.

A sound of gunshot is heard in the next minute. The walker’s body slumps down; the head is cracked open.

It’s dead.

Hakyeon had to close his eyes when Taekwoon shot it. He can’t erase the image of his long-lost friend from his head. Hongbin’s face lingers in his mind. But Taekwoon had made everything clear. Taekwoon once again brings a light to his darkness.

Hakyeon feels him slip in someone’s arm; distracting him from the endless thoughts. Taekwoon envelops him in his warm hug, pulling Hakyeon’s head closer to his broad chest, letting him know how his heart beats fast; showing him how he was having a hard time in deciding whether to kill Hongbin or not; and telling him how the reality disenchants them. A merciless rule, every walker has to be killed.

“It’s okay, Hakyeon. Hongbin is sleeping in peace right now,” Taekwoon’s hands slowly caresses the strands of Hakyeon’s hair. He doesn’t fail to notice that the latter is shaking, crying, sobbing, and muttering, “Taekwoon, I can’t stand it. I can’t witness our friends’ deaths anymore.”

Taekwoon keeps silence; hands still moving in rhythm, intentionally bringing sobriety the other needs. He takes a glimpse of the dead body before closing his eyes, forcing his memory to erase the horrible images. The guiltiness is still invading his heart; the feeling of his trembling finger when he pulled the trigger is still there.

Voices in his head screaming, telling him to stop living; to stop bringing his existence, and to stop getting along with what the world offers. Because the world isn’t giving you a delightful life you’re always dreaming about. It has stopped bestowing happy endings. For Taekwoon, life is only a chance to see what tomorrow invests to you. When you fail to see tomorrow, that’s when you finally see your ending. And Taekwoon is fighting for it, to see what the next day turns out to be.

Hakyeon is still crying when Taekwoon hears faint whimpers behind him. He turns his body around, softly tapping Hakyeon’s shoulder and saying, “Do you hear that?”

Hakyeon looks up, putting a confuse look, “What?” He answers, lifting his hand to wipe the trace of tears on his cheeks.

“Shh, listen.”

The whimpers stop for a while before coming out again, this time it’s louder. Hakyeon’s eyes snaps open, “I hear it.”

Taekwoon carefully walks towards the cash register counter, setting his handgun ready. He scans the place. Empty.

He moves to the other side, following the voice. As he gets closer to the white door, the whimper goes louder. He mouths to Hakyeon, “Behind the door.”

Hakyeon comes near to the closed door, reloading his handgun and steadying himself. He aims the gun straightly at the door, ready to shoot. He waits for Taekwoon’s signal as the latter puts his hand on the doorknob, hoping it would be unlocked.

And it is.

Taekwoon nods as he turns the doorknob open skillfully, revealing a dark room. The whimpers get louder, Hakyeon has to keep aiming in the dark.

Then it’s bright, Taekwoon brings a flashlight and illuminates the surroundings. Hakyeon gasps as a body is seen. Is it human or walker?

He exchanges gazes with the younger, receiving a command which tells more likely, “Stay alert. Don’t lower your gun.”

Hakyeon briefly nods and soundlessly moves closer to the trembling body, Taekwoon follows behind. He flashes on the body, looking for any clues about the stranger. But when the light shines on the stranger’s face, he finally finds out. “Hyuk?”

Hakyeon lowers his gun almost immediately as the name escaped from Taekwoon’s mouth. He quickly dashes forward and crouches down to the shaking body. Carefully, laying his hands on the stranger’s face. His eyes widens at the sight. It’s really him.

“Taekwoon, do you think he’s still alive?” Hakyeon throws his gaze at the man beside him. Taekwoon shrugs, “I’m not sure. I think he’s still alive. Let’s find out.”

Taekwoon spots a lamp switch and turns on the light. Hyuk’s face becomes clearer in the bright room.

Hakyeon gives a light tap on Hyuk’s cheek, but the younger doesn’t respond. “Hey Hyuk-ah. Wake up.”

Hyuk lets a small whimper, his body’s shaking harder. Hakyeon takes a strong grip on the weak body as he tries his best to bring the boy into consciousness. He feels relieve when he discovers Hyuk’s body is still warm; his chest rises up and down as he’s shallowly breathing.

Hyuk stirs a little as his eyes flutters open. His eyeballs moves around; sometimes he blinks, adjusting to the bright light. Taekwoon stays alert, he watches Hyuk’s movement cautiously. Hakyeon smiles at the boy in his arms but the smiles drop down as Hyuk wildly tosses to the left and right. He weakly pushes his body off, managing to break free from the tight grasp.

“Hyuk,” Hakyeon calls; he doesn’t even lower the strong hold to the boy’s body. “It’s me Hakyeon. Your hyung.”

He repeatedly mentions his name, grabbing Hyuk’s face forcefully to look at him in the eyes; expecting him to calm down and call his name. But Hyuk keeps on struggling. Taekwoon can’t stand it as he watches the poor boy trashing around. He grabs Hyuk’s body and firmly holds his head, sending light on his hair and cheek. He even gives a gentle massage on the chest. And Hyuk stops; his body goes limp; his chest heaves up and down in steady rhythm.

“H—hyung?” Hyuk calls out in raspy voice. His throat hurts a lot. “Hyung, is that you?” He asks again, his hoarse voice echoing throughout the small room. Hakyeon can’t hide his smile; the first smile that reaches his eyes. “Hyuk-ah.”

Hakyeon embraces him tightly, feeling the warmth that radiated from the younger’s body. “I thought I lost you too,” he sobs. Hyuk hugs back, rubbing his hyung’s back in circle motion. He’s happy to meet Hakyeon and Taekwoon, after a long time parting. He can feel his heart beat in excitement; he can feel the warmth he was longing for; and he can feel another human presence as he’s alone no more.

“Taekwoon hyung,” Hyuk looks up to see Taekwoon smiles brightly; and he has to admit it’s his first time seeing him smiling that way. Taekwoon kneels beside him, enfolding his arm around him.

Taekwoon had no idea why Hyuk suddenly winces in pain before he finds out another ugly truth. Hakyeon still doesn’t know anything as he asks the younger, “Are you okay, Hyuk-ah? Does it hurt somewhere?”

Hyuk shakes his head in suspicious manner and slowly pulls himself off, backing away. “Hyuk-ah, what’s wrong?”

“He got bitten,” Taekwoon snaps, earning two pair of widened eyes. Hyuk quickly looks down, hiding his torn sleeves. Hakyeon is too shocked to move, but he manages to notice dried blood around purplish bite marks on Hyuk’s right arm.

“Hyuk-ah…” Hakyeon pauses for a while, swallowing the lump in his throat. “Did Hongbin do this to you?”

Hyuk doesn’t reply; his body starts shaking as he lets out another whimper. Taekwoon stands up, strolling over the door to lean his body on it. Hakyeon doesn’t move. He takes a step forward, approaching the traumatic boy, “It’s okay, Hyuk-ah. You can tell us.”

Hyuk lifts up his head, facing Hakyeon completely, “Really?”

Hakyeon nods, giving a reassuring smile and a tap on his shoulder. Hyuk glances at Taekwoon before looking back at Hakyeon. “Yes, Hongbin hyung bit me.”

Taekwoon sighs. Hakyeon closes his eyes. “How did that happen?”

Hyuk is reluctant to tell the chronological of how that event occurred. He takes a deep breath before proceeding, “It’s all my fault, hyung. I was the burden along the journey we’ve been through. Hongbin hyung had to save me several times. Maybe I was too careless that the walkers easily grabbed me. We were lucky to be alive for 2 months since we met a group of missing people, there were seven of them before we joined.”

Hyuk coughs, his throat feels dry. Hakyeon hands him over a mineral water bottle, “Here, drink this.”

Hyuk takes it as he mutters a small thanks. After gulping the water down, he continues, “But two weeks ago, something bad happened. We were crossing foggy place, didn’t expect any kind of bandits were actually living there.”

“We encountered with them too, right Taekwoon?” Taekwoon nods.

“They attacked us. Five of us were brutally killed. Hongbin hyung and I had to separate from the remaining people, because we lost our direction. Our van was broken and we had to walk to get out from the fog. And we made it.”

Hyuk pauses, taking a deep breath.

“But, we didn’t know that something even worse was waiting for us. Hongbin hyung led the way. In the middle of the road, a car stopped. Two strangers offered us a ride and we accepted it without a doubt. They said that they owned a dairy farm near there; they even mentioned about having beef for dinner. Since we’re starving to death, we didn’t think twice about the offer. But actually, the dairy farm was the worst nightmare I ever had, hyung. You know what?”

Hakyeon shakes his head, “No. What is it?”

“They’re cannibals.”

Hakyeon clasps his mouth. Taekwoon jerks a little. There are even cannibals. The world is surely gone insane.

“Because the food is getting low and low, they didn’t even hesitant to eat human flesh. They used cows to produce milk and other dairy products. They served the bandits too. That’s why they’re safe from bandits’ attack, but the bandits didn’t eat human flesh. The cannibals only served milk and some dairy products to them. The farm was quite wide, they had electric perimeter around it to keep them out from the walkers. We were fooled by those foods and peaceful environment. I didn’t know what happened but I ended up in a place full of sharp objects. I think they knocked me out and dragged me to mutilation room.”

“Oh my God,” Hakyeon breathes. “How did you get out?”

Hyuk stretches his feet as he leans his back on the shelf behind, “Hongbin hyung once again saved me. He barged into the room after fooling the cannibals, sort of it.”

Hakyeon and Taekwoon doesn’t say a word, still focusing on listening the whole story, “We ran all the way down here, finding this abandoned convenience store. That’s when Hongbin hyung got attacked by a walker which was hiding in the cash register counter. He got bitten in the neck, barely able to defend himself. I didn’t do anything. I couldn’t even steady my gun. Hongbin hyung asked me to shoot but I just couldn’t. I was afraid if I missed my target and injured him.”

“And then?” Taekwoon says between Hakyeon’s faint sobs.

“I shot the walker, right on the head. But…but it was too late. There was so much blood on the floor. He was hardly breathing. I pushed my hand on his neck as I wanted to stop the bleeding. But it didn’t affect much. Between his ragged breaths, he asked me to shoot him. I refused. How could I do that? I kept him in my arms, I just couldn’t lose another brother. I didn’t realize I fell asleep when hugging him. I woke up to the growling sound and Hongbin hyung had turned into them. I tried to defend myself, but he bit me in the arm before I raised my gun and shot him. I hit his chest, but he didn’t even budge. I ran away and hid myself here.”

Silence overtakes the atmosphere.

“When did it happen?” Taekwoon breaks the silence.

“Uh?” Hyuk looks up and frowns, trying to remember, “I lost count. I don’t think it reaches a week.”

Hakyeon finally knows. The world isn’t going to be easy on them. It won’t get easier in the future. The probability of surviving is getting lower. Hunger starts to attack. Enemies are getting numbered. There’s no more space for human to live in this new world.

“Hyung, where’s Ken hyung?” Hyuk asks between another silences.

Taekwoon and Hakyeon aren’t answering. “Hyung?”

“He didn’t make it, Hyuk-ah,” after a second thought Hakyeon replies. And Hyuk is in verge of crying before Hakyeon lifts him up.

That day, Hakyeon asked Taekwoon to bring Hyuk with them. But Taekwoon was in doubt that Jongin and Kyungsoo would accept him. Unless, they had to cover Hyuk’s bite marks and treat him as if he’s fine. That’s the only way.

***

“Who’s he?” Jongin walks calmly to the three, but frowns are visible in his face. Kyungsoo stands behind him; a fully reloaded handgun is strapped tightly on his side.

“This is Hyuk, my old friend, remember? The story I’ve told you days ago?” Hakyeon puts a smile, generally to erase those frowns on Jongin’s face. “I met him at that convenience store. I’m glad he’s fine.”

“Is he really okay?” Jongin asks, eyes inspecting the boy. “He looks pale.”

Kyungsoo steps ahead, “Should I check on him?”

Hakyeon is about to reject, but Taekwoon does before him. He puts himself in the gap between Kyungsoo and Hyuk, “No need to. He’s all fine.”

Jongin’s frown goes deeper, smelling the oddness. He grabs Kyungsoo’s hand and drag him to go behind his back. He shoves Taekwoon’s body easily, “Move.”

In a split second, Hyuk’s bite marks are exposed as Jongin harshly retracts the boy’s arm and pull the sleeves up.

“! He’s bitten!” Jongin abruptly pulls out his gun, holding it firmly as he puts his finger on the trigger.

“What the Hakyeon! You said he was fine but what’s that?? There are ing bite marks on his arm, goddamit!”

Hakyeon can’t say a word. He fails. “Wait Jongin. He’s still alive. We can’t just kill him.”

“Of course we can! He’s going to turn like your friend, Ken, sooner or later,” Jongin shouts. Kyungsoo silently nods. “Yes, he will, Hakyeon. We have to kill him now, for our sake.”

“What?” Hakyeon is surprised, his heart is beating fast. “But…he’s—“

“And you intend to hide this from us? To let him join our group?? How can you do that?” Jongin yells, it’s clearly seen that he’s mad.

Hakyeon glances at Taekwoon, sending desperate look, “What do we do?”

“Hyung,” Hyuk lets out a whimper. “I don’t want to die. Please don’t kill me.”

Hakyeon moves to defend the boy as he pulls Hyuk into his arms, “I won’t Hyuk-ah. I won’t.”

“Hakyeon, Taekwoon, please. We’ve agreed about this. No matter who they are, as long as they’re infected, we have to shoot. Don’t you remember? Stay on the rules.”

It’s impossible for Hakyeon to forget about the rules, the same for Taekwoon. They have to kill any human kind who’s got infected, without mercy. But why does it happen now? When they feel like reuniting, only to get separated once again, forever. Why does it have to be Hyuk?

“No,” Hakyeon whispers, “No, I can’t do that.”

Jongin and Kyungsoo exchange worried gazes as they tighten the grip on the gun.

“If you won’t do it, then we will,” Jongin says between his clenched teeth. Both Hakyeon and Taekwoon jolts in surprise, “No, you can’t. Jongin, please no.”

Hakyeon backs away, making their gap go wider.

“This is for our own good, Hakyeon. Trust me,” Kyungsoo talks back. “Now, please move aside.”

“Hyung, I don’t want to die,” Hyuk mutters. “Save me. Please hyung.”

It hurts him even more hearing Hyuk’s desperate will to live. “Please, don’t let them kill me.”

If only Hakyeon knows how to turn back the time. Because when he really does, he would return to the time when Jongin hadn’t pulled the trigger; before Kyungsoo pushed his body to the side; and preventing a loud bang rang in the air. He wanted to stop Jongin from shooting another bullet to his Hyuk.

Hyuk’s body falls down, eyes fly open.

Hakyeon’s screaming, calling his brother’s name over and over. “Hyuk-ah! No!! Wake up! Why did you kill him, Jongin??”

Hakyeon doesn’t expect to see Hyuk waking up to his calling. He doesn’t want any false hopes and wishes anymore. Moreover, when Taekwoon once again waking him up from the nightmare and soothing, “Hakyeon-ah, we’re done our best to save Hyuk. He won’t be suffering anymore. He’s fine now.”

And for another time, Hakyeon has to accept another painful lost.

***

Hakyeon and Taekwoon decided to leave the group. Jongin was desperately asking for forgiveness and asking them to stay. But Hakyeon rejected his plea. His heart had been hurt so badly, ever since Jongin pulled the trigger and killed his brother. Hakyeon just couldn’t forgive him. Taekwoon disagreed about the separation at first, but seeing Hakyeon being so stubborn, he couldn’t do anything except to follow and protect the latter.

It’s been a week since the separation with Jongin and Kyungsoo. They continues their journey to find another city and gather supplies. It’s a good thing that the couple brought them a backpack full of foods, meds, and ammos. But the supplies is lessening as they take a long walk without finding any source of supplies. That’s when they make up their mind to find a city, their last hope.

Hakyeon is breathing heavily as they finally reach an unknown city. The city seems quiet, no walkers are seen. Strange.

Taekwoon hands him a water bottle and Hakyeon takes a large gulp of it. “Where are we?”

Taekwoon doesn’t answer, just because he doesn’t know. He looks around to find a clue of where they are and spots a city map across the street. “I’ll go check the city map there.”

Hakyeon nods as he sits on the ground, leaning his back on the semi-high fence behind him. He grabs his backpack and drags it near him. His stomach is grumbling when he opens the zip and fumbles his hands inside the backpack to search for snacks to eat. He takes a glimpse at Taekwoon who’s still reading the city map. Maybe Taekwoon wants to take it with him because he seems to be busy removing the glass cover on it so desperately.

Hakyeon gulps down the last mineral water they have, feeling the cool water slide down his throat. He massages his aching legs, putting enough pressure to the surface to earn a good sensation on it. His legs haven’t stopped walking since two weeks ago. Wandering by van is more comfortable than walking by foot. But Hakyeon doesn’t regret to leave the group. He can’t imagine how Jongin would treat him differently after the occurrence. He just can’t take those guilty feelings Jongin has for him.

There’s a sound of broken glass, Hakyeon looks straightly at Taekwoon’s direction to find him holding a baseball bat which he doesn’t know where the latter got it. Taekwoon gently casts loose the map from its place.

But there’s something Hakyeon fails to realize. There’s a shadow behind, slowly approaching him. Hakyeon doesn’t notice. It’s just too late to build his guard after a walker jumps onto him, hungrily sinking his dull teeth to his arm flesh. Hakyeon screams out loud as a searing pain invades his bleeding arm.

Taekwoon speeds up to Hakyeon’s side as he prepares the gun and directly shoots the walker in the head. The walker drops dead. Hakyeon slumps down, looking at the bite mark on his arm. It stings and is still leaking out blood. No, please. It’s not real.

“Hakyeon-ah, are you okay?” Taekwoon holds his breath after finishing what he has to say because the answer is definitely no.

“. No no no, it isn’t happening,” Hakyeon mutters under his breath.

Hakyeon looks up, his face is indescribable. The questioning expression which tells is this a dream or reality?

“Taekwoon…” he whispers.

“Yes, I’m here. I’m here, Hakyeon-ah,” Taekwoon closes the border between them as he leans closer to his only friend.

“It hurts. My arm, it hurts.”

Taekwoon searches for bandage in the backpack after seeing an open wound on Hakyeon’s arm. His hand finds it almost instantly. He takes out saline liquid and pours them on Hakyeon’s arm to clean the wound before wrapping it up with the bandage. Hakyeon moans in pain several times but Taekwoon ignores Hakyeon’s plea to stop.

“I got bitten, Taekwoon,” Hakyeon quietly says, earning no response from the other. “Taekwoon, I—“

“Let’s go,” Taekwoon speaks right at Hakyeon’s words, cutting his line off. He doesn’t want to hear it. His life is in a mess, in the verge of falling apart; and he doesn’t want to take a chance to see his best friend leaving him. His life is damaged enough to experience another downfall.

“You need a lot of meds. Let’s just go find them.”

Hakyeon stands up, picking up the backpack and strapping it on his shoulder. Before he can even step forward, Taekwoon blocks his way.

“Let me carry it. Take it off,” Taekwoon simply picks up the backpack and slings it over his shoulder.

The two walks in silence, Hakyeon follows behind. “Taekwoon, don’t walk too fast.” He hurriedly catches Taekwoon’s steps. But Taekwoon isn’t slowing down.

“Taekwoon. Wait,” Hakyeon yells between his heavy breaths. “Taekwoon!”

Taekwoon stops and turns around; his face shows annoyance, “What? Why are you so slow? Walk faster!” He continues walking, leaving Hakyeon panting hard.

Hakyeon tries to take another step, but his legs suddenly feel so heavy and stiff and he’s out of breath. “I…I can’t…Taekwoon.”

His vision is fading in and out, everything is rolling like a pile of vague pictures. Before his world is blacking out, Taekwoon’s scream echoing in his ear.

***

“You’re awake.”

Hakyeon opens his eyes; he blinks away the cloud that barricades his vision. When everything is clear, Taekwoon’s face comes into view.

“How do you feel?” Taekwoon asks, his voice is softer than usual.

“A little bit dizzy. Help me up,” Hakyeon stretches out his hand, apparently asking Taekwoon to help him getting up.

“How’s your arm?”

“Better. It stings a little,” Hakyeon answers as his eyes checks his surroundings. “Where are we?”
Taekwoon is finished making a hot chocolate and immediately giving it to Hakyeon, “Here. Drink this.”

“What’s this?” Hakyeon questions, doesn’t touch the cup.

“Hot chocolate.”

The older receives the warm cup, taking a sip of it. “So, where are we?”

“I don’t know. An old abandoned-house. I found many useful things here, including fresh water, foods, and some painkillers. The electricity works too.”

Hakyeon lets a small oh, before taking another sip.

“Hakyeon, you collapsed yesterday,” Taekwoon’s voice comes out soft and gentle; he looks down, playing with his cup. “I had a hard time bringing you here. I thought…”

“Taekwoon, I’m fine. I’m just a bit dizzy, maybe from the tiredness. That’s all. Don’t worry about me, okay.”

Taekwoon put his cup on the table on his left side, “I was thinking, is it from the bite? All the things happened to you yesterday. You were so pale, Hakyeon. It freaked me out.”

Hakyeon scoots closer to Taekwoon, gently taking Taekwoon’s trembling hands and putting them above his thigh. “I’m sorry for what I did yesterday. But please, don’t worry about me, Taekwoon. I don’t want to burden you,” Hakyeon finishes it by sending a light on Taekwoon’s hand with his thumbs.

“You know Hakyeon, I can’t lose you, not again. I’ve lost so many people in my life now. You’re the only one I have left.”

Hakyeon lets out a sad smile, “I know Taekwoon, I know.”

“I don’t think I can make it to another day when you’re gone someday,” Taekwoon’s nose is reddening, his eyes are watering. He starts to sob, “Can you promise me one thing?”

Hakyeon hums, “Yes. Tell me.”

“If you are about to die, could you at least, take me with you?”

***

“Hakyeon, slow down,” Taekwoon lifts Hakyeon’s arm; helping him up from the fall. “Are you okay?”

Hakyeon smiles, sending a tap on Taekwoon’s shoulder. “Yeah, I’m just a little bit dizzy.”

Taekwoon brushes some dirt on Hakyeon’s clothes while examining if there’s any minor injury. He’s relief to find nothing.

“Hakyeon, you’re getting paler,” he utters. Hakyeon notices the worriedness in Taekwoon’s voice. The younger shows his attention and care differently than before. Hakyeon ever had these thoughts about the changes that the latter has, is it because my condition? Do I look so pitiful that Taekwoon shows his affection more towards me? Do I look horrible? Do I smell like walker?

However, he never brings up what’s on his mind to the younger. Taekwoon may be okay with all those endless thoughts, but not for Hakyeon. His life is miserable enough and he doesn’t want to take other people to go down with him. Taekwoon is a good friend. He doesn’t think he can live this far without Taekwoon’s help.

“Oh, really?” Hakyeon fakes his tone. He knows it. He can feel his body is getting weaker. His vision starts to form cloud and fog. Black dots are reappearing in some spots in his line of sight. He can’t feel how those potato chips taste like. Sometimes his legs give up in middle of standing or walking.

“How do you feel?” Taekwoon asks; he mentally slaps his mouth to say such question he literally knows what the answer will be.

Hakyeon only shrugs, “I feel weird. I don’t feel well these days.”

Taekwoon nods. “Just tell me when it gets worse.” And Hakyeon smiles; hiding his aching heart.

***

Hakyeon collapses, making a thud sound as his body drops to the ground. “Hakyeon!”

Taekwoon has to carry him while shooting a few walkers which are blocking their way. “! Hakyeon, wake up!”

The sound of gunshots apparently bring another walkers to come. Taekwoon reloads his gun in much difficulty, Hakyeon’s weight does stand in the way. More walkers come approaching them, even though they’re slow walkers but facing them in that number means suicide.

Taekwoon’s hands are trembling; he puts in some bullets but three of them fall down. “Dammit!”

There’s no time left to pick those bullets because two walkers are already two meters close. He shots two bullets as two bodies slump down. Taekwoon swiftly carries the unconscious man on his back, doesn’t forget to snatch the backpack from walker’s reach. He runs with his all his might, passing through hungry walkers as he keeps speeding up. He bumps onto some walkers but he manages to maintain his stance steady.

Taekwoon roams his eyes around to see if there’s any good spot to hide. He turns to the corner and finds a half-opened garage. Carefully, he rolls Hakyeon’s body in after checking that it’s safe; closing down the door once he gets inside. He crouches down, placing his fingers on Hakyeon’s neck to feel the pulse. He can’t think straight as he finds nothing. “No no no…”

Taekwoon doesn’t give up. He lays his head on Hakyeon’s chest, sharpening his hearing to discover faint beats. He sighs in relief, bringing his body down to the floor, breathing heavily. He’s tired, running all the way here surely takes almost his entire energy. He looks at his mate, his chest moves up and down in a really slow rhythm. And Taekwoon knows what will happen next.

Taekwoon lifts Hakyeon’s body up, dragging him closer to the center, near a water dispenser. He accidentally slips out and falls hard on the floor, bringing Hakyeon with him.

“Taekwoon?” Hakyeon is awoken by the impact, even though his body is already numb in certain places but he can still feel the hard floor make a strong contact with his skin.

“Hakyeon? You’re awake? Wait, I’ll go get some water,” Taekwoon grabs his backpack, taking out their water bottle and dashing off to the water dispenser.

A good luck is still on their side as Taekwoon excitedly seeing the water pouring down from the faucet, filling up the empty bottle. He quickly goes back to Hakyeon’s side as the water is finally reaching the top. Hakyeon weakly pushes his body up; Taekwoon lends his hand to help as he uses his arm for him to lean on to. Slowly tilting the bottle in a precise angle to let the water slide out onto Hakyeon’s mouth.

Hakyeon’s eyes go wider as he abruptly pushes off the bottle from his mouth and whispers, “Taekwoon, behind you.”

Taekwoon turns his head around to see a walker in policeman’s attire runs toward them in average speed as it lets hungry growls. He frantically fumbles his hand to his pocket to find nothing, his handgun isn’t there. “! I dropped my gun back there.”

As the walker is inches closer, Taekwoon launches a hard kick on its stomach, sending him few meters away. He uses this chance to search for something to defend. The garage is not really wide but as far as Taekwoon sees there’s nothing useful.

“Taekwoon, the walker has a gun.” Hakyeon is struggling to sit up as the walker slowly getting up from his laying position. They don’t know whether the gun is reloaded or not, but their life is betting on it. Taekwoon has to find something hard to knock the walker down before he can snatch the gun from it.

The walker is already standing up and taking his steps to the helpless Hakyeon.

“Hakyeon!” Taekwoon screams; he’s in the middle of running towards the latter but halting his steps right after Hakyeon stops him. “No! Stay there.”

Hakyeon sneakily brings his hand to the walker’s pocket and pulls out the gun. Unfortunately, the gun slips out his hand as he loses a grip on it and gives the walker a chance to attack.

Taekwoon swiftly takes the gun and shoots the walker in the head, it falls down. But he fails to save his friend as a new bite mark is clearly visible on his neck.

Taekwoon is taken aback; he blankly stars at the breathless Hakyeon. His mind is suddenly shutting down, as if blocking him from outside world, the reality.

He fails to hear Hakyeon’s plea calling his name. He fails to see Hakyeon’s bluish lips getting darker. And he fails to feel the other’s warmth slowly diminishing.

“Taekwoon….please…”

“Hakyeon…,” a name escapes from Taekwoon’s lips as his eyes are still unfocused.

“Please just…shoot me…now,” Hakyeon repeats. “I don’t…want to hurt…you…later.”

Taekwoon hears it. He definitely hears what Hakyeon says, but he just doesn’t want to. He doesn’t want to end another life. He doesn’t want to shoot another friends. He has more than enough.

He brings up the gun and sees one bullet left. Lowering his gun, he looks at Hakyeon. Hakyeon hasn’t changed really much, only his skin is paler and purplish marks are seen here and there. Taekwoon can see Hakyeon mutters something in a really low voice that he can’t catch any words of it.

“Do you remember your promise?” Taekwoon speaks, Hakyeon doesn’t reply; only heavy breaths are heard.

“When you’re in verge of dying, just take me with you.”

Taekwoon looks at the gun, the silver part of it reflects his face; a face full of hopelessness. What’s the point of living now?

He looks back at Hakyeon. His friend is unconscious; he can’t barely tell whether Hakyeon is still alive or already dead. But he can’t see any movement; Hakyeon is laying still. His chest is stopped heaving up and down.

“Is this the end, Hakyeon?” He crouches down; kneeling beside him. “I’m sorry. I’m sorry, I can’t shoot you. I’m sorry for killing everyone in front of you. I’m sorry, you have to suffer with me along the time. And…” Taekwoon trails off. He takes a really deep breath before continuing his last words, “I’m sorry for being selfish. I’m sorry Hakyeon.”

As soon as he finishes his words, a growling sound is heard. Taekwoon closes his eyes, letting a tear trickle down his cheek. He ignores the pain that hits his body as he’s being pushed down by force. He ignores the hungry growls that goes louder to his ears. He ignores the excruciating pain that sears on his neck. He ignores the voices that screams in his head saying, “Hakyeon it hurts.”

Taekwoon puts the gun on his head. Feeling the cold tip of it touching his temple.

For the first time, Taekwoon is being selfish; his first time making a selfish decision. And for the last time, he is.

He opens his eyes, seeing the ‘new’ Hakyeon looking back at him. This Hakyeon has changed much now.

And for the very last time he whispers, “Goodbye Hakyeon” before pulling the trigger.

Eventually, the reality shows them no mercy.

THE END


A/N: Oh! This is the end. LOL. And I kill everyone here (except Jongin and Kyungsoo). I leave their fate to you guys.

Anyway, thank you for those who following my updates XD I know this fic but thank you for still reading this till the end.

Don’t forget to leave comments okay^^