Love Song

Ways to Fall in Love

Word Count: 1042

Summary: Baekhyun has a beautiful heart.

 


 

"What's this?" 

 

Chanyeol scans the paper that's been thrown in front of him. He sees the words "Love Song, Bumkey" written at the top in his boyfriend's neat handwriting. A quick browse-through lets him note that it's guitar chords, presumably for the song.

 

"Can't you read?" Baekhyun sasses, pointing to the title with a slender finger, his other hand on the side of his hip.

 

"Uh, I can, but I don't get what I'm supposed to do with it?" Chanyeol answers blankly. Baekhyun heaves a frustrated sigh before pursing his lips. Chanyeol stares at his boyfriend in amusement because Baekhyun pouting is the cutest thing ever. If there's one thing that could always melt his anger or annoyance, it's Baekhyun's aegyo. His entire insides turn into goo and he can't help but let out an "aww" at the scene.

 

Baekhyun's lips pull back into a sweet smile, the same one he uses when he wants to get his Chanyeollie to do something for him. "Remember what you promised me last week?"

 

How could he forget? They had had a small dispute about cleanliness in the room, and even though it started out with Chanyeol lecturing Baekhyun about his dirty laundry strewn all over the floor, it ended with Baekhyun giving Chanyeol the silent treatment. Of course, Chanyeol couldn't live without hearing Baekhyun's voice, neither could he do without those sweet kisses, so in a moment of desperation, the younger of the two had unthinkingly blurted out an offer: I'll play the guitar for you. 

 

Everyone knows how fond Chanyeol is of his guitar, but after he screwed up a performance with his guitar on one of the radio shows, he had refused to lay even a finger on the instrument. To Baekhyun's dismay, it sat under his bed for months, effectively turning into a home for dust bunnies. Now, Baekhyun absolutely hates seeing Chanyeol give up on something because it isn't in the lanky boy's nature to concede so easily.  Baekhyun couldn't just sit back and watch his love leave something that has been his happiness for the most part of his life. He knew he had to do something.

 

"Play Love Song for me on the guitar while I sing," Baekhyun asserts with a smirk when Chanyeol remained silent. His expression softens when he sees the cloud of doubt hovering in his boyfriend's eyes. He runs inside and retrieves the guitar from under the bed before returning to Chanyeol who's eyeing the papers on the table. Baekhyun carefully places the instrument beside it and reaches out to hold one of Chanyeol's hand. 

 

"Come on. We'll take it slow, alright? We can practise as many times as you like, and I'll be right here with you all the way."

 


 

Chanyeol doesn't think he has ever practised this much on his guitar just for one song. Then again, he's been telling himself that he's doing this for Baekhyun (who seemed really excited to be performing the song) and there's nothing he wouldn't do for that boy. Throughout the whole radio interview, he couldn't stop himself from fretting over the impending performance. Everytime he tried to think of ways to bail on it, Baekhyun would look in his direction and send him a subtle reassuring smile. Thoughts like, "I can't do this to him" and "He'll be devastated".  And that's all it takes for him to convince himself that maybe it won't be so bad. After all, Baekhyun will be just inches away from where he'll be sitting.

 

And soon, the dreaded moment arrives. Chanyeol couldn't register anything that's happening around him, keeping his trail of sight on Baekhyun's back as the latter leads him to the set-up area. Before he knows it, the guitar is in his hands and he's staring wide-eyed at Baekhyun who gives him one last comforting smile. 

 

I do believe, all the love you give
all of the things you do
love you, love you
I’ll keep you safe, don’t you worry
I wouldn’t leave, wanna keep you near
'Cause I feel the same way too
love you, love you

 

The moment Chanyeol hears Baekhyun's melodious voice sweetly filling the studio, his finds that his fingers starts to have a mind of it's own and they begin to strum the chords with ease. 

 

Want you to know that i’m with you

 

From the corner of his eyes, Chanyeol could see Baekhyun sneaking a glance at him as he sings those words. And there's not a single question that the encouragement was for him, and him alone. 

 

 

 

And then the worse thing that could happen, happens. He messes up a chord. He has every mind to throw the guitar to the ground, but he sees Baekhyun's adoring gaze on him, as if he's telepathically sending a hug, and that's all he needs to press on.

 

He barely comprehends the end of their performance and he stumbles back to his seat. A certain warmth radiates from within when he feels Baekhyun's soft hand clasping his own, giving a gentle squeeze, as they return to their respective seats.

 

Baekhyun wastes no time when they're finally in the confines of the van heading back to the dorm after the end of the radio interview. He makes a beeline for the back where his tall boyfriend is already resting with his eyes closed. Baekhyun pecks his lips lovingly before snuggling into his side, an i love you getting lost in the fabric of his boyfriend's hoodie. Chanyeol peeks through the crack of his eyes to see Baekhyun's content smile and hesitantly drapes an arm around the smaller frame of his boyfriend's shoulders.

 

"I'm sorry I messed up, Baek."

 

"No, baby, you did amazing," Baekhyun earnestly says, pulling away for a moment to beam proudly at Chanyeol who tugs him back into place.

 

"You know why I did that, don't you?" Baekhyun asks minutes later when they're on the road. The other members in the same car were either engrossed in their music or in slumber land, giving them a certain degree of privacy.

 

"Because you have a beautiful heart." Baekhyun hides his face into Chanyeol's side, a blush blooming across his cheeks. 

 

"You are beautiful, beautiful, beautiful," Chanyeol murmurs in reiteration into Baekhyun's hair.

 

 


 

Was watching the Love Song performance by Chanbaek again and... yeah.