Part 1

My Wolf

In the dark night of the lovely neighborhood where every house sleeps, one window is still lit up. As the children and the people of present dreams of their pleasant sleep, one woman from the past is still awake.


In her bedroom, the elderly woman sits in front of her mirror. After loosening the cap of her third serum bottle, she gently pats the white cream on her wrinkled face. She does this so while facing her reflection in the mirror.

The elderly woman sighs after she finishes her daily night routine of skin-care. "Every day I just seem to get uglier and uglier..."

And she couldn't help it but to touch and brush down her gray hair. It seems like yesterday to her when she had long healthy brown hair.

Turning off the lights in her room, the elderly woman walks back to her bed. After slipping under the covers, she turns from side to side, trying to obtain some sleep. But unlike the younger ones who can sleep so easily by dreaming of their dreams and future, the people like the elderly woman like herself could not sleep as well as they wonder what will happen to them when they disappear from their long-lived life.


---


"Yah yah yah! Did you hear about our daughter Yoonhee? She's dating another girl in Seoul right now!" The father complains as he set his phone aside angrily.

“Jinga? Another girl?" The mother frantically walks back and forth from the kitchen to the dining room, serving each plate of delicious breakfast. "But Yoonhee is much too young to have fun now. She should focus on her studies!"

"I swear... When she comes back to us in the U.S, I will give her some yelling of how she should set her mind st-"

"Aigoo, stop ranting." The elderly woman scowls at her son-in-law, causing him to swallow up his words as he forced himself to look at her glaring. The elderly woman sits at the head of the table like a superior to the married couple.

"For goodness sake Yoonhee is 19! She can discover love at the age. And here you are acting like she's still your puppy..."

"Mother-"

"Who wants some more bacon? I know you would love to have some darling!" His wife quickly comes back with a pan in her left hand, feeding some more food for his big belly. "Mom, are you going to be sassy already this morning?" she looks at the elderly woman with amusement in her eyes. "Did you take your medicine? Maybe that's why you're too sassy this morning."

The elderly woman lets out a laugh and resumes drinking her morning ginseng tea. "I already took my medicine but Seohyun-ah... Maybe you should get a better husband."

"Mother!"

Both Seohyun and her husband speak her name at the same time. While the husband pleads, his wife shakes her head at her sassy mother.

"She was kidding Yonghwa."

"Or was I?" The elderly woman retorts as she smiles at the sight of the husband looking more and more scared of her. She enjoys teasing and making fun of her son-in-law.

Suddenly, their home phone rings during their moment, catching everybody off-guard of its sudden alarm.

"I'll go get that." Seohyun quickly went over to the ringing phone and picks it up. "Hello?" she says in English.

Yonghwa and the elderly woman listen in to the phone call more intently once Seohyun widens her eyes.

"Oh... Mom? This phone call is for you."

The elderly woman looks surprised herself as she never received many phone calls before. Standing up from her chair, she walks over to her daughter and takes the phone.

"Hello?" The elderly woman speaks in English.

"Is this Im Yoona?" The voice speaks in Korean.

Frozen by his speech, the elderly woman's breath begins to slow down and her heart begins to beat fast. It has been more than 10 years since someone had called her by her maiden's last name with first name.

"Yes...This is Im Yoona. Why?"

Seohyun and Yonghwa looks at each other with confused looks as they watch the elderly woman silently nodding while holding the phone with two hands. What on earth could they be talking about?

As the elderly woman places the phone back down, she stand still. Worried, Seohyun rushes towards her.

"Mom what was it? What did they want from you?"

"I need to go back to Korea."

The elderly woman's words stun Seohyun and Yonghwa as it was spoken in such a quiet whisper. Turning to each other, they discuss on purchasing tickets and asking Yoonhee to watch over the elderly woman.

As they discuss, the elderly woman slowly walks up to her bedroom without a word.

Yuri...


---


After the long hours in the cramped airplane flight, the elderly woman comes out of the gates. With her shades on, she searches the crowd for her granddaughter.

"Grandma!"

The energetic voice catches her attention when she sees a bouncing girl waving her hands excitedly. Smiling at the sight of her, the elderly woman pulls her suitcase behind her as she walks towards the bouncy girl.

"Yoonhee-yah!" The elderly woman smiles as she lets go of her suitcase to hug her young granddaughter. "How's Korea?"

"Oh it's amazing! The food, culture, and people are all amazing!" Yoonhee exclaims with a bright smile on her face. "I'm glad that I'm Korean."

"Me too. Me too." the elderly woman nods in agreement.

"Well come on! Your old hometown awaits! And I'm going to drive because I just got my driver's license last week!"

The elderly woman let out a chuckle. "Oh great... You might lead me to my grave instead of my hometown."

"Grandma!" Yoonhee groans as she helps carrying her grandmother's luggage. "I knew you would start sassing as soon as you step off from the plane!"


---


Out in the countryside, the stylish car zooms on the long one-way road. Inside, Yoonhee and her grandmother are enjoying their talk.

"Do you want to look at my girlfriend? Her name is Anna and she is 20." Yoonhee passed her phone to her grandma to show the pictures of her and her girlfriend.

"Wow... She's very beautiful." The elderly woman smiles at her granddaughter's girlfriend. "Is she kind to you?"

"Grandma... She's...She's wonderful!" Yoonhee's eyes brighten when talking about her girlfriend. "She helps me with my Korean and always cares for me. And anything she does for me always makes me feel better than ever."

"That's good...That's good." The elderly woman smiles hazily at the thought of someone taking care of you. She knows how wonderful the feeling of being cared felt especially.

After driving for about twenty more minutes, they are finally parked in front of an old wooden house.

Standing outside in the winter, Yoonhee looks at the old house suspiciously.

"You used to live here before Grandma?"

"Yes... Around your age." The elderly woman replies as she stares at the old house calmly.

"But...this seems like a haunted house to you right? Around my age? Because this place feels spooky to me."

"Hmm perhaps." The elderly woman continues staring at the old house. Taking in a deep breath, she closes her eyes. The air and the sounds of the countryside around the house sounds so much like when she was a young girl.

"To everyone else, it was like a Haunted House but this is like a castle to me: a castle which is my home of happiness and laughter, a place where I met my first love."

Yuri...

Taking in another deep breath, the elderly woman feels a rejuvenating light on her wrinkled skin. Her skin instead of heavy becomes light and smooth. Her eyes become soft and innocent-looking. Her gray withered hair swished itself into long smooth brown hair.

Standing right in front of her house, the elderly woman is 18, wearing a long skirt and a sweater and holding a box in her arms

 

---

 

"Yoona-yah! What are you doing?" Her mother rushes over to her and tries to take the box away from her. "Don't you remember what the doctor said? Don't use up too much energy or else-"

"Mom it's ok. It's not like I'm lifting a ton or running a marathon every day. I'm just helping to move things in." The young girl brushes her mother's hands away before she continues walking towards their new house.

This is the day when she and her family first moved into their new house in the countryside thanks to her mom's extremely rich stepson. The house is humble but beautiful. This gives her family a wonderful opportunity to live in such a good environment.

But what they didn't know is what is inside of the toolshed next to their new house. Behind the small crack of the back of the toolshed in the dark, a murky brown eye watches the young girl carrying a box towards the house.

Yuri...