Chapter 9

Betray Me Not

Hana wakes up in a room that is not hers.

 

“Oh my god!” she shrieks, tumbling off the bed she was sleeping on. Hana quickly pats her body to make sure she has on all her clothes; apart from the sweatshirt she was wearing last night, everything is still intact. She breathes a sigh of relief, only to be gripped with worry again.

 

Why is she here?

 

Hana’s mind flashes back to last night, but all she can remember is calculating equation after equation of strings of tiny black numbers...

 

“Why are you up so early?” a voice grumbles from the doorframe. Hana looks up in shock. Kai is rubbing his eyes, a peeved expression on his face. He is clad in nothing but a pair of basketball shorts, causing Hana to quickly look away in embarrassment.

 

“What am I doing here?” she asks coldly, her eyes pointed downwards. “I don’t remember sleeping in this room.”

 

Kai scoffs. “Well, you fell asleep. So being the polite man that I am, I carried you here. You’re welcome.”

 


 

“I’m finally finished,” Kai yawns, stretching out his arms. The clock at the corner of his laptop reads 3:32 AM. He breathes a sigh of relief. Kai’s meeting is at 6 PM tonight; he won’t embarrass himself by bringing an uncompleted report to the Board of Directors.

 

Suddenly he remembers the financial analysis that his father assigned him as well- the one he made Hana do. Kai looks over at the girl and sees her lying fast asleep. Her head is resting on the blue finance binder he gave her.

 

“Did she finish?” Kai murmurs. He eases the binder out from underneath her and flips through it. Lines of calculations are neatly written out on the back of every paper. One glance through a page of math and Kai realizes that Hana has done everything perfectly.

 

“It would’ve taken me days,” he breathes, shaking his head. “She really is a genius.”

 

He glances back at Hana. She is breathing evenly, her body slowly rising up and down with every breath she takes. Kai is startled by how peaceful his professor looks while she sleeps. He gently brushes back a loose black hair that has fallen in Hana's face, and then hoists her up.

 

“You’ll get sore if you sleep here,” he whispers.

 



Hana narrows her eyes at Kai. “There was no need for you to do that,” she tells him stiffly. “You should’ve just woken me up.”

 

“Be grateful that I didn’t throw you out on the streets,” Kai says derisively. Hana rolls her eyes.

 

“I’m leaving,” she says tiredly. “I have to prepare for class today. And I have a faculty meeting an hour before my first class, too, and then I have to finish up the homework assignment for today. I’m so behind.” Hana is beginning to tie her hair up into her signature tight bun, until Kai grabs her arm.

 

“Wait. Let me make you breakfast or something. You need to eat.”

 

Hana stares at Kai with the look he despises the most: the one which makes him feel like a complete moron that doesn't know anything. “I don’t have time for that,” she responds. “Plus, why would I want to eat with you?”

 

And Hana struts out the door before Kai has a chance to reply.

 


 

Hana slowly slides her key into the apartment door, unlocking it as quietly as she can. Please don't let Sehun hear me, please don’t let Sehun hear me-

 

“Where have you been?” Sehun says in a furious voice, emerging from his bedroom. There are puffy bags under his bleary eyes. “Do you know how worried I was? I was this close to calling the cops.”

 

Hana winces. “I’m really, really sorry, Sehun. I... er... I had to go to another professor’s house to collaborate on an assignment.”

 

“And you couldn’t tell me?” Sehun huffs. “You’re so irresponsible, . Now, if you’ll excuse me, I’m going to bed. I was too worried about someone being kidnapped to fall asleep.” And Hana’s brother stomps back into his bedroom and slams the door.

 

“Well, that went over better than I expected,” Hana mumbles to herself.

 

Hana can barely function at work that day. She only received about 3 hours of sleep, thanks to a certain jerk forcing her to perform some stupid financial analysis last night. And worse, Kai didn’t even bother to wake Hana up, causing her to deal with the overwhelming awkwardness of waking up in his place.

 

“Today... you guys are doing a worksheet,” Professor Oh yawns. “Um, you have the whole class to finish it. Good luck. I’ll be sleepi- I mean, sitting at my desk if you need to ask me to, like, go to the bathroom or something...uh, yeah...,”

 

She trails off sleepily, stumbling to her desk. In the next moment Professor Oh is lying facedown on her table.

 

The entire class looks at each other in shock: did Professor Oh just use colloquial language? Did she just say the words um, like, and good luck?

 

“Maybe she was up last night screwing the guy who gave her a hickey. That would explain why Professor’s so tired,” Kyungsoo snickers, and Kris and Baekhyun start chuckling. Kai shuts them up with a glare.

 

“I’m trying to work,” he speaks sharply, and begins solving the first question on the worksheet. Usually, Kai is the first to initiate malicious comments about Professor Oh. However, today he knows why she is so tired; she was up saving Kai’s by finishing the financial analysis.

 

Despite Hana’s rude remark to him earlier this morning, Kai is willing to cut her some slack. Give her a peaceful day for once.

 

An hour and a half later, Kai prods the sleeping Professor Oh. “Class is over,” he tells her. "Everyone's left the classroom. Wake up." When she doesn’t stir, he raises her voice. “Hey. Get up. Hana.”

 

“I don’t have school until 11 today... let me sleep a little longer...,” Professor Oh mumbles tiredly, rolling over in her seat. Kai rubs his temples.

 

“News flash, Hana: you’re at school right now. In fact, you had your first class not 10 minutes ago. You’re making a complete fool of yourself.”

 

“Just go away, Jongin,” she breathes, her eyes still closed.

 

“I told you not to call me that.”

 

    “Mmm.” Hana finally sits up, stretching her limbs widely. “Oh, . Did I miss my next class?”

 

    “Your next class is in 20 minutes,” Kai says, leaning against her desk. “Pull yourself together.”

 

    Hana eyes Kai. “Why are you still here?”

 

    “You should be thanking me,” Kai scowls. “I’m the one that woke you up. Anyway, you have to do something for me.”

 

    “Ugh, what now?”

 

    “Bring me a pizza tonight at 10.”

 

    Hana immediately snaps out of her drowsiness. “Are you serious? Pizza at 10 PM? It’s a school night! I don’t want a repeat of today!”

 

    “You know what’ll happen if you don’t do it,” Kai bites back. “I’ll let you pick the toppings. Just no pineapples.”


A/N: Yay Kai's being.... semi-nicer?? xD