Chapter 18

Betray Me Not

“What are you doing here?” Kai hisses.

 

“I’m just having a chat with a professor,” Joonmyeon says, giving Kai a placid smile. “How about you?”

 

“None of your business,” Kai growls. He turns to Hana. “Hurry up. We still have things to resolve.” The tone of his voice has turned sharper, angrier.

 

Hana sighs. “Alright. Bye, Joonmyeon.”

 

Joonmyeon tips back in his seat, eyeing Kai with an amused expression. “Goodbye, Professor Oh. It was nice talking to you.”

 

The instant Kai and Hana are out the door, Kai briskly grabs her arm and yanks her into his car.

 

“What the hell were you doing with Suho?” Kai snarls.

 

    “We met by accident!” Hana says, pulling her arm out of Kai’s grasp. “Why are you so mad?”

 

    “First of all, Sehun and I have been looking for you for hours. You didn’t have to run off like that. Second, you cannot trust Kim Suho. He’s a lowlife of the worst standards.”

 

    Hana crosses her arms. “He said that you two have known each other forever, and that you’ve hated him from the beginning. What did he do?”

 

    “You two were talking about me?” Kai exclaims, his expression contorting into one of fury.

 

    “Well, it sort of came up!” Hana bites her lip. “I’m... sorry.”

 

    Kai doesn’t respond, but Hana can hear him grinding his teeth.

 

The car ride back to the Ohs’ apartment is the most uncomfortable 10 minutes that Hana has ever experienced.

 

    Suddenly, the blare of a cell phone pierces the silence between the two. Kai presses a button on the dashboard of his car, and says, “Hello?”

 

    “Did you find her?” Sehun’s panicked voice rings out from the car’s speakers. “I just went to the supermarket and she wasn’t there-,”

 

    “I’m here, Sehun,” Hana says quietly.

 

    “Hana!” Sehun shouts. “Thank god.”

 

    “I’m sorry for running away like that,” Hana sighs. “I was just...,”

 

    “No, I shouldn’t have brought up anything,” Sehun says, cutting her off. “Sorry.”

 

    There is silence between the two siblings, then Sehun adds, “Where were you, anyway?”

 

    “I was at a cafe,” Hana responds, warily glancing at Kai. “It was safe there.”

 

    Kai scoffs. “Yeah, safe,” he mutters under his breath.

 

    “Did you say something?” Sehun questions.

 

    “Uh, no.” Hana looks at Kai again. “We’ll be coming home soon, Sehun. I’m hanging up.”

    

    Joonmyeon exhales, long and loud. Oh Hana is a blessing. She is the key to ensuring his position and fulfilling his goals. All he has to do is talk to her a little more, discuss a few other topics extensively.

 

    His mother will be quite proud of him. After all, she was the one who taught him how to get what he wants.

 


 

    Joonmyeon has a student council meeting the next day. The council secretary, Han Kyung Mi, called the meeting in order to review proposals for school clubs. Joonmyeon resists the urge to groan as he walks to the student council meeting room and sees various people lined up against the wall, holding club application forms. It is going to be a lengthy, arduous day.

 

    “Morning, Suho,” Joonmyeon’s friend Kris says, patting him on the back. Kris is the vice president of the student council. Although he is rather incompetent (Kyung Mi should have his position, in Joonmyeon’s opinion), Kris was able to secure the popular vote due to his good looks. Joonmyeon wouldn’t be able to stand Kris if it weren’t for the fact that he is a really cool guy.

 

    “You can call in the first person,” Kim Yuri calls, and a group of tall, gawky boys steps into the room.

 

    “Good morning,” one student says, readjusting his glasses. “I’m here to request extra funding for the computer coding club.”

 

    Joonmyeon spends the rest of the morning forcing himself to stay alert. God, he really despises being president sometimes. The other members of the council- save for Kyung Mi, who is constantly attentive- have completely given up on paying attention to the club appeals. Kris is texting someone, grinning from ear to ear, while Yuri is playing Flappy Bird on her iPad.

 

    Finally, several hours later, Kyung Mi announces, “Alright, guys. This is our last club appeal. Let’s bear through for a little bit longer.”

 

“Whatever,” Joonmyeon says, leaning back in his chair.

 

A lone figure steps into the room. Gently closes the door. Brushes back her long, wavy black hair.

 

Joonmyeon’s eyes widen.

 

“Hello,” the girl says in an even tone. She glances over the student council members, briefly smiling at Kyung Mi and Yuri, who are flashing her two thumbs up. “I’m here to request the formation of a new club. It will be a student organization that aims to help senior citizens in need through volunteering.”

 

“I reviewed your club application, and I have to say, I’m quite impressed.” Kyung Mi smiles. “You were very thorough in your plans. The only issue is that I don’t know who would be interested in joining your club. I would totally be on board-,”

 

“Me too,” Kris says. He looks at the girl from head to toe and his lips. “I would do anything for you.”

 

Joonmyeon struggles not to punch Kris.

 

“-but other students might not want to participate. Also, you would need a teacher sponsor, and I don’t know any other teachers that are available,” Kyung Mi adds.

 

“Professor Oh is available to sponsor a club,” Joonmyeon cuts in, his tone icy. He bores his eyes directly into the girl’s. To his displeasure, she does not look away.

 

“Wait, Professor Oh? Suho, are you sure there’s no other option?” Yuri asks, wincing.

 

    “I’m fine with asking Professor Oh,” the girl says. Yuri throws her an urgent look.

 

    What the hell? Are you serious? she mouths. The girl shrugs.

 

    “Fine. Ask Professor Oh.” Kim Joonmyeon folds his arms. “Then you can come back to us.”

 

    “Hey, I didn’t get your name!” Kris shouts as the girl is walking out the door. Joonmyeon clenches his fists under the table.

    The girl pauses. “Hm? Oh, my name’s Lee Yoojin.”

The name causes a shudder to run through Joonmyeon's body.


A/N: It was really interesting to write from Suho's point of view, and about his life! This chapter may seem kind of filler/unnecessary, but it's important for later on (aka next chapter lol).