Chapter 15

Betray Me Not

“YES!” Hana shrieks, jumping up and down. She and Joonmyeon have just won their 4th game- which means they will be advancing to the finals. Hana is relieved that the teacher-student tennis tournament isn't as violent as she anticipated. She's had little to no trouble hitting back the killer shots students have been hitting at her. If they want to hurt her, they'll have to try harder.

 

After hastily shaking their opponents' hands, the two make their way to the podium to report their scores.

 

“Congratulations,” the woman sitting at the podium says. She records their scores and puts their tennis balls back in a basket. “Your next match will be on Court 7.”

 

“Who will we be playing against?” Joonmyeon asks. The woman runs her finger down the list of teams, pursing her lips.

 

“You will be going against Professor Dae and Kim Kai,” she says. Hana stiffens, slowly turning her head towards Joonmyeon. He looks extremely wary.

 

“Just one more match,” Joonmyeon mutters under his breath. “Just one more.”

 

“We can do this,” Hana says confidently. “We’ve demolished every other team we’ve played. We will definitely be able to beat him.”

 

But when Hana sees Kai on the tennis courts, she isn’t so sure anymore.

 

He is glaring at Joonmyeon and her with a dangerous look, gripping his tennis racket tightly. Kai’s hair is plastered back with sweat, and his t-shirt is slightly damp as well.

 

Kai is out to kill. Hana knows it.

 

Since this is the final match of the tournament, a massive audience has gathered to watch them. A significant number of people are cheering for Hana and Joonmyeon (mostly Joonmyeon’s friends and fans), but most of the crowd is rooting for Kai and Professor Kim to win. Hana grits her teeth with determination. She will not let herself be unnerved because of the crowd.

 

Hana and Suho win the racket spin-off, so they choose to serve first. Hana takes a deep breath as she walks to the baseline. After bouncing the ball 3 times on the ground, she tosses it up in the air and quickly slams it down. It is a graceful yet powerful serve; one that has caused her to consecutively ace every one of her opponents. And Kai will be no different-

 

He pounds the tennis ball back so fast that Hana sees nothing but a green streak fly past her.

 

Hana slowly turns back around to face Kai. The audience is cheering and hooting wildly for him. Kai’s chest is heaving with heavy breaths as his eyes pierce through her.

 

It’s alright, Hana tells herself. You’re serving to Professor Kim next. There’s no way he will be able to return your serve.

 

And she is correct; Professor Kim screams and resumes the fetal position once Hana sends the ball flying towards him, much to the amusement of the crowd. Joonmyeon grins.

 

“You got this,” he tells Hana, high-fiving her.

 

    Kai is thrilled to be playing against Hana and Joonmyeon. This will be an ample opportunity to defeat the 2 people he hates the most in the world- especially Joonmyeon. Kai despises seeing them playing together. He will destroy them.

 

    Hana’s serves are solid, but his returns are better. Kai and Professor Kim manage to win the first game. He sees Hana and Joonmyeon conversing by the water jug on the other end of the court. They still look hopeful. Kai will make sure that changes.

 

    “Er... Kai?” Professor Kim hesitantly taps him on the shoulder. “Are you okay?”

 

    “I’m wonderful,” Kai replies crossly. “Come on, Professor. We have to win this.”

 

    Kai serves next. Hana barely manages to return his first serve; it is incredibly hard to get. She barely manages to lob the ball back over the net. Unfortunately, Kai is quick to run to the ball. He hits down on it very hard, deliberately aiming for Joonmyeon. Joonmyeon tries to shank the ball back over but misses entirely.

 

    The crowd is going crazy. “Kai looks so hot when he plays tennis!” Hana hears one girl scream.

 

    “He is definitely going to win,” another boy replies.

 

    30 minutes later, Kai and Professor Kim have won the first set. Kai’s prowess makes up for all of Professor Kim’s weaknesses. Hana and Joonmyeon trudge to the water cooler, exchanging desperate looks.

 

    “I- this is all my fault,” Joonmyeon wipes a streak of sweat away from his forehead. “I’m so sorry.”

 

    “What are you talking about? It’s both of our faults.” Hana thumps him on the back. “Listen to me. We are going to win. We have to step it up. Okay?”

 

    “Okay,” Joonmyeon replies, but Hana shakes her head.

 

    “No, Joonmyeon. Say it with more force. We. Are. Going. To. Win!” Hana shouts.

 

    A smile slowly spreads across Joonmyeon’s face. “We’re going to win!” he yells with more gusto.

 

    “Oh, yeah!” Hana screams, high-fiving Joonmyeon. “Win win win!”

 

    Kai is staring at Joonmyeon and Hana cheering together near the water cooler. The lump in his throat grows. The two are disgusting to watch. They actually think they stand a chance? Kai beat them 6-0 their last set! He just needs to win one more set- then he has this match in the bag.

 

    It is Hana’s turn to serve. Kai crouches down in his position, his eyes glued onto the ball. He watches as Hana slices the ball downwards, putting extra spin on the ball. Easy, Kai smirks, and whips the tennis ball back to her. There’s no way she’s going to get that-

 

    Hana hits the ball with one of the strongest backhand he’s seen from her all game. The ball flies towards Professor Kim, and he leaps out of the way, yelping.

 

    Kai’s jaw drops. What? How did she do that?

 

   The game proceeds, and it seems like Joonmyeon and Hana magically got 10 times better during the water break. How the hell is this happening? 15 minutes later, the game count is 4-3, in Kai’s favor. Although he is still winning, it’s nowhere close to the huge gap of their last set.

 

    Fine. If they’re stepping it up, looks like I have to as well, Kai thinks. Instead of focusing his next shots on power, he angles the ball so deeply that Joonmyeon and Hana are literally tripping over their own feet trying to hit the ball back. Kai watches with gleeful amusement as Joonmyeon launches himself at a ball and completely misses. Oh, how wonderful this is.

 

The score is now 6-6. The two teams have entered tiebreaker mode: whichever team wins 10 points first wins the set. Kai grits his teeth with resolve. He will not let Hana win this. Kai wants to go up to her after the match and say, I told you so. It’ll serve her right for not listening to him about quitting the tournament. And Hana can definitely not win with Joonmyeon as her partner; Kai won’t allow it.

 

Joonmyeon serves a fast ball to Kai, and he hits it to the corner of the court. Joonmyeon rushes to lob the ball back over the net. This is too easy, Kai chuckles as he dinks the ball onto the other side of the court. There’s no way that Joonmyeon or Hana can get it-

 

Hana is running as fast as she can after the ball, racket outstretched. Time seems to slow down as Kai, Joonmyeon, Professor Kim, and the whole audience watch open-mouthed as Hana races to reach the tennis ball.

 

Right when the ball is about to hit the court a second time, Hana throws her entire body at the tennis ball. She places her racket right above the ground. The ball bounces on her racket, and barely flies over the net.

 

Suddenly, a sickening crunch! echoes through the tennis courts. Kai watches, horror-struck, as Hana’s entire body weight lands right on top of her arm. Her face contorts in an agonized expression as she falls to the ground with a thud!

 

“Ow,” Hana whimpers, her voice thick, and the next thing Kai knows he is sprinting towards her, moving so fast he can barely sense anything else. Out of the corner of his eye he can see the members of the crowd standing up in shock. Joonmyeon and Professor Kim are running towards Hana as well, but Kai beats them both. He jumps over the net and crouches down next to her.

 

Hana’s body is shaking with uneven breaths, and her face is completely pale. And her arm... Kai’s eyes widen. It is sitting in an extremely unnatural position, as though it has been twisted the wrong way.

 

“J-Jongin,” Hana moans softly, and Kai wraps his arms around her in a tight hug, holding onto her as if she is his lifeline.

 

“I’m here, Hana,” he whispers. “I’m sorry. I’m so sorry. This is all my fault.”

 

“Jongin...,” Hana murmurs one last time before she passes out.

“Call an ambulance!” Kai roars.


A/N: Omg was the tennis terminology too confusing? D: It was kinda hard writing their tennis game (there are only so many times you can use the words "slam" and "hit" LOL). But yeah omg poor Hana :'( haha some of you were worrying about if Kai was going to hit Hana, but Kai wouldn't do that, no matter how mad or jealous he was :DD

And I'm not revealing anything about Kai and Suho just yettt xD but some of you are so darn smart omg