Chapter 2

Even When I'm Gone

     I finally bring up the courage to look at him. I nod my head reluctantly. I don’t want him to stay for a long time, but I really want to finish my homework. He sits down on the chair in front of my desk. He motions for me to sit on my bed, next to him. I hesitantly sit down. No words would come out of my mouth.

     Thankfully, he speaks up first. "You're doing this wrong; you set up the equation incorrectly." He shows me my paper, and I watch as he erases my work.

 

     After what seemed like forever, my math homework was finally completed. Baekhyun stands up to go.  

     "See you tomorrow?"

     "Yeah," I mutter. I couldn’t even look at him without wanting to cry, so while he was tutoring me, I kept my eyes focused on the paper he was writing on.

     I feel his eyes looking at me with a sense of bewilderment, as if expecting me to walk him out the front door like I usually do. This time though, I don’t want to. I can’t. I just stare back at him, waiting for him to leave. It takes me a lot of effort to hold back, but I contain my emotions, and he leaves after saying goodbye. I lie down on my bed and close my eyes.

     "I'm sorry Baekhyun," I whisper. Suddenly, I feel water droplets forming inside my eyes, and I blink. My cheeks are getting wet. Soon, tears were flowing down my face, so much that I could taste the saltiness of my own tears. I cried into my pillow. Sure, Baekhyun wasn't my boyfriend, but he was my best friend. He was my only friend. I had no one except for him. I didn't love him as anything more than a best friend, and a brother.  

Knock, knock.

     "Can I come in?"

     It’s my dad. My dad has always been more caring of me than my mom, even though he isn't really a man of words. When he does have something to say, it’s always something meaningful. He checks on me when he knows that I'm upset.

     I quickly wipe the tears off of my face. I look at my reflection using the camera app on my phone. My cheeks are red, warm, and stained with tears. "Yeah dad," I say. My voice is shaky.

     He opens the door and pops his head in. Then he comes inside and sits on the bed beside me.

     "Everything alright, my Gwiyomi?"

     I half-smile. He only calls me Gwiyomi when he knows something's wrong. Before I know it, tears flow down my cheeks again. "Appa," I can barely hear myself.

     My dad embraces me in a hug to comfort me. "It'll be okay. You'll find other friends. Maybe even a new best friend. And aren’t you always saying how guys send you confessions? Oh, and remember? Our next door neighbor is selling their house. Maybe the new neighbors will have a kid your age. Don't let your hopes down. And, it's not like Baekhyun’s moving anywhere. You'll still see him every day."

     I listen to his words. He rarely ever says this much in one sitting. But a few of the things he said stuck to my mind like how Baekhyun always stuck to me.

Maybe even a new best friend.

Maybe the new neighbors will have a kid your age.

Did he think that Baekhyun was so easily replaced?

It's not like Baekhyun’s moving anywhere.

You'll still see him every day.

He’s right. I will.

     I pull away from my dad, and try to smile. "You know what appa? You're right. I will still see him every day. Thanks appa! You're the best!" Then I did some aegyo to make him laugh; because I of course, was the aegyo princess, hence the nickname he gave me, Gwiyomi. I did aegyo to my mom and Baekhyun, and Baekhyun’s parents sometimes too.  

     "I'm glad I helped. Go to sleep soon, you have school tomorrow!" He called, as he left my room.

     After I brushed my teeth and washed my face, I change into my pajamas. I set my alarm and turn off the light. I slip into the blankets on my bed and try to sleep. However, the things my mom said, and the things my dad said kept crossing my mind. I try to forget about it. I take my phone from the nightstand and plug in my earphones. I listen to some of my favorite songs for about 10 minutes, and then put my phone back on the nightstand, before drifting off to sleep.

 

     The next morning, when I wake up, I am a mess. I get up, all groggy, and go to the bathroom to brush my teeth and wash my face. I go back to my room when I finish, and dress into my school uniform. It was May 1st, so the weather was getting warmer. I look out the window. It's sunny, and the air is fresh. I decide to wear knee socks instead of leggings. I don’t wear my blazer, because it seems warm outside. I go to the bathroom to brush my messy hair. I comb my bangs down. I stare at myself in the mirror.

     Stay strong, I tell myself. There are still 2 months left.

     I put in my contact lenses after my hair’s brushed, and go downstairs to eat breakfast. I see my dad sitting at the table with a cup of coffee, eggs, and toast. My mom is busy cooking at the stove.

     "Oh, you're ready? Breakfast will be done in a minute!" My mom says, as she hears me walk down the stairs.

     "Okay," I answer, as I take a seat at the table. My dad observes me. Then, he checks his phone for the weather. "You should wear your blazer today. It's going to be windy today."

     I go upstairs to put on my blazer. I clip my nametag from my shirt onto my blazer.

     When I get back downstairs, my breakfast is waiting for me: toast, an egg, and apple juice.

     "Thanks eomma!" I say, as I begin to eat my breakfast.

     "No problem," she replies. Then she too, sits down to eat.

     My dad checks the time after about 5 minutes of eating. "Baekhyun might be here soon! Hurry and eat! Pali-pali!"

     Baekhyun.

     I nod my head in response and start eating at high speed. When I am finally finished, I put my dishes in the sink and run upstairs to brush my hair again, and rinse. Then I use the toilet. I go to my room, and put all my homework and school materials in my bag. I take my bag, cellphone, keys, and wallet, and head downstairs, just when I hear the doorbell ring.

     "I'm coming!" I call out. I open the door, and Baekhyun is standing right in front of me, with that lovely eye smile of his. Sometimes, I tend to get lost in his eyes, because of that smile.

     "Are you feeling better today?" He asks, his eyes filled with concern.

     "Yeah, I'm fine," I say. What else could I say? No, Baekhyun, I'm not fine. You're leaving soon and I won't have any friends. But I can't say that.

     "Good, then, let’s go!” he exclaims, happily.

     We walk off the porch, and walk to the bus stop to get to school. Walking to the bus stop takes about 6 minutes. It's quiet, until Baekhyun starts to hum. It's “Baby Don’t Cry”, one of my favorite songs. What a pabo, did he know I wanted to cry? Soon enough, he started to sing the lyrics. He would always sing this song to me when I was feeling down about something, because he hated to see me cry. This time though, it wasn’t helping.

     Please. Stop. Geumanhae.

     Thankfully, the bus stop comes into view, so Baekhyun stops singing. We stand at the bus stop waiting. There are a few people that go to our school at the bus stop as well. The girls all glare at me, and stare at Baekhyun with dreamy eyes. A few of the guys glare at Baekhyun, and glance at me.

     Suddenly, Baekhyun speaks up. "I thought you liked that song. I thought that song always made you feel better…Why do you look so upset now?" He questions.

     Did he see how bad I looked today? How did he know I didn’t want him singing that song? Then again, we’ve known each other since we were born, so it wasn’t weird that he had memorized my facial expressions, and matched them up to my emotions. "No, I like it. I’m just not in the mood for that kind of song today."

     He nods in reply, and starts to hum the melody to "3.6.5", another one of my favorite songs.

     I smile. This song always puts me in a good mood, and he knew that.

     After waiting for another 10 minutes, the bus is finally here. As usual, Baekhyun waits for me to get on first, before he does. I groan when I see that all the seats are taken.

     "No more seats?" He asks.

     "Uh huh," I reply. He takes me by the arm and drags me to the back of the bus.

     "Let’s stand together then," he suggests.

     It’s not like we have a choice. I roll my eyes as I grip the handlebar. Even when I grip the handlebar, I always end up almost falling over whenever the bus comes to a stop. It's embarrassing, and I hate it. It's why I hate standing on the bus. Baekhyun and I are standing facing each other. Baekhyun stares at me with his pretty eyes, and I can't help, but smile at him.

     "Ahah! I made you smile! You were so quiet last night after dinner, I was worried," Baekhyun remarks. 

     I look at him as if he's grown a third eye. Is he being serious? I stick my tongue out at him in reply, and he chuckles.

     Did you bring anything for lunch today?" He asks, as he tries to make conversation.

     Oh, shoot. I forgot about my lunch. "Aish! I forgot! I didn't bring anything," I answer, with a worried tone. I hated waiting on the lunchline. I get the feeling that every single person in the cafeteria stares at me when I'm on the lunchline. 

     Baekhyun checks the time on his watch. "Let’s go buy you something before school starts," he advises.

     I nod my head in response. He always knew the solution to all my problems.

     5 minutes later, the bus comes to a sudden halt, and I can feel myself waver. No, not now, please. I couldn't keep my hold to the floor. The only thing I could see is Baekhyun’s shirt, as I begin falling.  

 

 

[Author's Note]: Was this chapter too boring? The first half was kind of boring, but the things that were said were important, so I needed to include them. Sorry if I bored any of you guys! The next chapter will be better (: