Chapter 01

Puzzle
 
-01-
 
 
 
 
 
 
-And I am feeling so small.
It was over my head
I know nothing at all-
 
June 14, 2013
 
“There it is,” he sighed when he found the small plastic bag in the back of his car and pressed it against his chest. He’d thought it had gone lost. He’d thought he would never see it again. Good thing he’d been wrong. Bag in his left hand, he made his way to the house he was living in for exactly six years now. It was bright, with many windows, but that wasn’t what made it so special to him. No, since exactly three years, he wasn’t living alone anymore, and he’d come to realize that life with humans was better than life against humans. At least living with one particular human was. He made his way through the door, just to find an empty room. His eyes found the clock. Seven years ago, time hadn’t played a role in his existence at all. Days had gone by like seconds, years he’d completely forgotten. 9:48 am. Five hours and twelve minutes until she’d stop working. Another hour for the way back. He placed the bag in a small drawer and started what he’d always do when she was away and he didn’t need to work: The household. Not only was it a perfect distraction, it made her more than happy when she returned and the house was clean. He started doing the laundry, went on with vacuuming and finished doing the dishes. Another look at the clock: 12:33 pm. Two hours and twenty-seven minutes until she’d finish work. Another hour for the way back. His heartbeat fastened. It had been six years now and she was still the only woman that could make his heart beat slower and faster at the same time. Around her, he felt hot and cold, wanted to hide and seek, wanted to hold and let go. He was afraid of that sensation called ‘love’, but he didn’t doubt it anymore. He was completely and utterly in love with this woman.
 
Three knocks on the door, a slight shift of the doormat and a quiet ‘Aish’ brought him to his feet. Seven quick steps were all he needed to get to the door, a small turn of the doorknob caused it to fly open, and there she was. Her hair still had the exact same blond nuance it had on their first meeting, it were her eyes that had changed: Each day, they were sparkling brighter. The first thing she did was throwing her arms around his neck, and he’d learned to accept that gesture, and eventually had happened to like it. Her arms around his neck, her lips on his lips were all he needed to taste the desire and love he longed for. She kicked her shoes off her feet, and they landed next to each other, but pointed into two different directions. It was something he only noticed halfheartedly, but he noticed. As well as the change of temperature of her body as he carried her towards the couch and hovered above her, gazing at those red lips, grazing them with his. “How was your day?” He asked with a low, husky voice. She exhaled shakily, her fingers playing with the hem of his shirt, giving him shivers when they lightly touched the skin beneath. “Good,” she whispered and pecked his lips, “and it seems to get better and better.” He leaned in for another long, intimate kiss, elbows resting next to her, fingers the smooth hair of hers. Hers had started to pull his shirt up and were now his pale skin, were drawing along the all too evident scars, were underlining his defined muscles.
“Do you know what day it is?” He asked between two kisses, but she didn’t seem to be eager to answer. However, this was important. Important to him for some reason he didn’t understand himself. But he’d stopped trying to understand himself when he’d decided to accept the love he felt for her. Because if there was something he’d learned during all this time, it was that men who were in love did unnatural things, felt unnatural things, and said unnatural things just to see their beloved’s eyes sparkling like hers did. He broke the kiss, climbed off her and positioned himself next to her. She pouted at him, her big eyes asking for more. More he couldn’t give her right now. “Do you know what day it is?” He asked again, insisting on getting an answer. She changed her position to be able to look at the small organizer on the table, and she nodded.
 
“June, fourteenth,” she informed him, and started wondering what he meant. He sighed. He wasn’t quite the patient kind of guy, and disliked when others didn’t get his messages. His eyebrows were raised and his lips formed a thin line as he waited for her brain to work it all out. This day, it was the only day he was actually looking forward to celebrating all year. There was no way she could’ve forgotten it, was there? “I don’t know what you want,” she said, growing impatient herself. “It’s Thursday, there is nothing special on Thursday.” All of a sudden, he was upset. There was so much he let slide, so much he was willing to forgive, but how could she forget such an important day?
 
“It’s our sixth anniversary,” he said nonchalantly and arose, regretting that he’d bought the expensive present for somebody who didn’t even cherish the day. She had stopped breathing for a little moment, her eyes opened wide, hands over . He leaned against the fridge and looked down at her, who now stood as well.
 
“Today?” She wondered and went through the organizer. She hadn’t forgotten it even once so far. Why was it that he hadn’t thought about it this year? Why was it that she couldn’t remember any anniversary, now that she thought of it? She did know that they had been together for a long time, and she did know that he was right saying June, fourteenth was their anniversary, but why didn’t it ring a bell? Before he could speak, she raised her hand and hushed him. “Wait,” she mumbled, deep in thoughts, “Wait. What did we do last year for our anniversary, and the year before that?” She ran her fingers through her hair and grabbed it forcefully in her neck. It wasn’t just the anniversaries that were missing. Their first date was, too. And their first kiss. Where had all those memories gone to?
 
“What?” He asked thunderstruck. Forgetting their anniversary was one thing- but forgetting the anniversaries from before was too much. He just wanted to hiss at her when her desperate eyes met his. She wasn’t kidding. She knew that there should be something, she knew that she should have memories of those times, but there weren’t. She wasn’t to blame. But who was?
“Where are my memories?” She breathed. Her eyes were now closed, thin fingers massaging her temples, lips pursed. There was a small, thin line between her eyebrows he usually referred to as a ‘thinking line’, and her eyes were shut so tightly that the mole under her left eye had disappeared in a wrinkle. He moved, approached her, and sat beside her. His left hand was on her back, caressing it, hoping that he could do something to bring her memories back. He didn’t interrupt her thoughts even once. It was her who jumped up after some time and looked at him out of frightened eyes. “Where have you gone?” She asked, hands clutching to her heart. And that was when she broke down.

“Our first trip to Japan, it’s gone! I know that we’ve been there, but it’s gone. I can’t remember it! Where is it?” She shouted by then, tossing papers around, crying while clutching onto her heard, pulling her hair. And he sat there, motionlessly, unable to breathe. Where had they gone, indeed? “The more I think, the more gets lost!” She yelled again. He remembered to breathe. Inhale, Exhale. One, Two. Easy as that. He remembered how to make his heart beat again. Boom, boom- Boom, boom. Blood rushed through his veins, up to his head. He stood up, approached her, and pulled her into a tight embrace. Her fists met his chest, she bit and scratched, she told him to let go, to let go of her, of a woman that was unable to remember her first love, she cried, she shouted, but his strong arms held on to her. And eventually, she gave in. Her feet couldn’t carry her anymore. She collapsed right there in his arms. He carried her to their four-poster bed, laid the sleeping her down, tenderly washed her face, brushed her hair and covered her with the white, silky blanket. He lay beside her for hours, simply her cheek and watching her peaceful self. He didn’t know what had gotten into her. Maybe she had stressed herself at work too much. Whatever it was, he hoped it wasn’t what he thought it was. The only reason he’d never dared to get close to people. The only reason he’d wanted to avoid her at first, but had failed miserably. Inhale, Exhale. This wasn’t real.

***

“Tell me about it.” She leaned in the doorframe, wearing nothing but a shirt of his that was way too big for her. She’d calmed down, looked almost as beautiful as ever, but the sparkling was gone. He decided not to panic. She still loved him. She was confused, and that was alright. Eventually, she would remember it all again. There was no way somebody could forget his first love.

“Tell you about what?” He asked as he put the book aside. That was sign enough for her to approach him, place herself on his lap and snuggle up to him. She hid her face in the hollow between his shoulder and throat and tried to breathe steadily.

“Japan,” she breathed. “Tell me about Japan.”


December 17, 2008

They’d been together for over a year now. He still hadn’t really gotten used to that new situation, to having her in his life, but he had already decided to give it a try. To accept her as a part of his life. The journey had been her idea. She’d chosen the destination, the time of their stay, and everything else as well. The only thing he’d done was packing his things. She’d decided for a beautiful small hut on Mount Nanatsudake. He had never been there before and had to admit that he liked it. Unlike Seoul, the air here was fresh and clear. Everything was covered in fluffy, white snow. There was no comparison to the awful, brownish mud in Seoul. The hut was standing next to a forest. It was small, but still had place for approximately fifty guests. Belonging to the hut were two hot baths and six saunas. He wasn’t too amazed by all that, though. He might not have been there before, but he’d been to places that were prettier than this one. He did not voice that, though, for she was so stunned about the view they enjoyed. That was when he first noticed it- the sparkling in her eyes. He didn’t know whether or not it had been there before. If it was, he wondered why he hadn’t noticed before. It was the most beautiful thing he’d ever seen. Her brown eyes, the smile on her face, and the long, blond hair caused his heart to flutter. It fluttered, and his eyes widened, and he tried to grasp the situation. Why did his heart flutter? It shouldn’t be able to do that. Why did he feel sick and happy all at once, all together? He held his stomach, eyes still on her. She was looking through the window and lilted her head from one side to the other.

“What do you want to do, first? Sauna, bath, or simply sleep?” She turned around to face him, and he found himself breathless at the short distance between them. They had been close before, had even kissed, but never before had he felt so strange while doing so. He gazed into her eyes, down at her red lips, and exhaled. Inhale, exhale. Pull yourself together.

“I don’t care,” he muttered, stretched and sat down on the bed. Happy about having brought some distance between them, his body allowed him to relax. Not for long, though, as she was approaching him and sat down on his lap. He held his breath.

“Sauna it is, then,” she grinned and pecked his lips, causing them to feel tingly. He refrained from touching his lips and bit on them instead. Jiyeon arose and grabbed the pink sauna-towel she’d bought especially for the vacation, handing him another one. It was exactly the same just that instead of pink, she’d chosen a blue color for him. He thanked her and watched as she started to take off her shirt. Immediately, he jumped up.

“What are you doing?” He asked, the thought of her undressing in front of him suddenly frightening him. There was no need to, really. They’d been to swimming pools together, had made out and seen almost everything of the other’s body, but her undressing so freely in front of him made him feel uneasy. Questioning expression on her face she cocked her head.

“Why?” She asked, fingers still holding on to the hem of her shirt. Jaejoong arose and took her hands, leading them away from her shirt. She had a frown on her forehead and tried to understand. Suddenly her lips curled into a smile and she raised her hands. “Ah, so you want to do it?” The grin turned to a smirk and she waited for him to take off her shirt- something he’d never done before. He took a step back and shook his head, confusion and panic evident on his face.

“No, you should go to the bathroom. You can’t just undress in front of a man,” he informed her. He expected her to be angry or confused, but instead, she chuckled. She approached him, folded her arms in his neck and looked into his eyes. He couldn’t help but bring his hands to her waist. Her closeness made him feel uncomfortable and comfortable at the same time. He didn’t want to let go.

“Now I understand,” she said in a hushed voice, low and seductively, and started playing with his hair. “You wouldn’t be able to withstand, huh?” She leaned in for a kiss, and Jaejoong replied to it for a while. That was, until it got too intense- at least for his taste. He could feel her temperature change, her body becoming heat all of a sudden, her heart beat stronger and her breath was heavier, faster. He broke the kiss, panting himself. This wasn’t like it had been before. Never had it been so hard for him to break a kiss between the two of them.

“What about the sauna?” He asked. There was a pout on her lips, but she nodded. She leaned in for a short kiss and disappeared into the bathroom, just like he’d told her. Jaejoong, on the other hand, sat down on the edge of the bed and took some deep breaths. He did not know what was happening to him, but he did know that it wasn’t good. He couldn’t start caring for her too much. He should avoid her as much as possible.

It was harder than expected. By the time they got back to their room it was dark already, the moon was shining brightly. It was the only thing that lit up their room, and from here the sky looked beautiful. He could see stars, not the plain black sky he saw in Seoul. The moon was surrounded by hundreds of them, and all together it drowned the room in low, mysterious light.

Their hair was still wet and they were exhausted and relaxed at the same time. They hadn’t talked much while sitting in the sauna or in the hot baths, had only closed their eyes and relaxed. His plan had almost worked. However, back in the room, he couldn’t avoid her anymore. Her presence was all too evident to him. He could feel her every move, could hear every breath she made, could hear her heartbeat that sounded like a lullaby to him. It was him who reached out for her hand when she wanted to turn on the light, it was him who stopped her. It was only then that she realized how beautiful the room looked in the moonlight. Hand still in his hand, he pulled her close. His arms made their ways around her waist, resting on the fluffy towel she had decided to wear instead of a bathrobe. She rested her head on his chest, eyes closed as she listened to his rushing heartbeat.

“Are you happy?” She whispered after some time. Jaejoong didn’t know what to answer to that. Yes. Yes, he was happy. But no, he wasn’t. He was frightened, was worried about the condition he was in. And yet, there was nothing he could imagine to be better than this moment. He pushed her away a little, just enough for him to be able to raise his hands to her face. Like that, he cupped her cheeks with his soft palms and leaned into the first kiss that had been initiated by him. She was taken aback a little, she’d always thought he didn’t like her the way she did, but she’d eventually come to realize that it simply was him. He wasn’t able to show love. He maybe wasn’t even able to feel it. But what followed confused her whole world view.

He picked her up with one fast and strong movement, but didn’t break the kiss while doing so. No, even when he could feel the heat and heartbeat of hers, he didn’t stop. He placed her on the bed, hovering above her, and let his fingers trace down her neck, her shoulder, her arm. She brought her hands to his neck and buried her fingers in his long bangs. After some time, both of them shifted. Jiyeon was now on top of him and stopped for a moment, taking in the view of his bare upper body. There weren’t many muscles, but it still looked very defined. She started exploring it with her hands and finally rested them on his chest before she bent down and kissed him again. His fingers found the hem of her towel and he opened the one button that kept it together. It fell to the ground next to them and he had to break the kiss. He wanted to stop now, before it was too late, but one glance at the bare, smooth skin in front of him made him realize that he couldn’t. He pushed her back, climbed on top of her and gave in. He couldn’t fight it. He was too weak. Never before had he been weak. It was time for him to finally experience weakness. And his biggest weakness was her, Park Jiyeon.

 
 
 
 
 
 
___________________________________________________
 
 author's note 
 
 
» Well, that's chapter one. Since this isn't going to be a long fic (as mentioned before) it will be a little rushed. The dates a little guides for you, just so you don't get confused. Thanks for reading. I'd love you all if you subscribed and left a comment ♥