Chapter 2

Sisterly Love

 

 

 

“Hello? Tiffany?” She immediately recognizes the high-pitched voice as she clutches the phone closer to her ear, trying to block out the sound of the pouring rain hitting hard against the pavement.



 

“Sunny, what is it?”



 

Tiffany arises from her seat at the bus stop and lends out her hand, helping her grandmother stand.



 

“Do you know what’s going on with Jessica? As you know, i’m her wedding planner and I need to know what she’s going to do with all this.”



 

The American-born girl takes out her umbrella from her purse and opens it, holding it above her grandmother as she sees the bus arriving.



 

“I honestly am not very updated with Jessi’s doings at the moment. She’s probably just busy with Krystal since she got in that car accident. You know how protective she can be, especially at times like this.”



 

She can faintly hear Sunny sigh on the other line. “Yeah, I guess. Let her know I called, okay?”



 

“Sure.”



 

Just as she’s about to hang up, Sunny stops her from doing so.



 

“Oh! And Tiffany?”



 

“What is it?”



 

“Good luck….with your grandmother’s appointment. I hope she’ll be okay.”



 

A sad smile forms on Tiffany’s lips. “Yeah...me too.”



 

The bus pulls into the bus stop just after she hangs up. She and her grandmother enter the bus, Tiffany pays the driver, and they head off to the back to find a seat, where there’s less people.



 

They sit down and wait patiently to arrive at their destination as Tiffany clutches onto her grandmother’s hand, silently praying for a miracle.




 

*****



 

Jessica’s heels loudly clack against the floor of the hospital, echoing throughout the halls.



 

She walks up to the desk, and before she can ask to go see Krystal, she already receives a nod from the nurse. “Go on ahead, Mrs. Jung.”



 

Jessica smiles, “Thanks Jooyeon.” Then she walks down the hall leading to her sister’s room, but stops halfway and turns her head back to the nurse. “Oh and Jooyeon, I’m still Ms. Jung.”



 

“Oh I’m very sorry, someone had come in a few days ago informing us to change it to Misses Jung, since you’ve been married.”



 

Jessica furrows her brows in confusion. “No, I haven’t married yet.”



 

“Okay, no worries, I’ll change it immediately.” She reassures her.



 

Jessica decides not to press on further and continues on down the hall.



 

*****



 

“Krys, I’ve been wondering. Once you get out of here, do you wanna come stay the night at my place? You know after school or-” Krystal cuts him off before he can continue.



 

“Oppa, you know I….I love you. But I don’t...I’m not ready for that kind of thing…” Krystal says, looking down at the floor, avoiding Minho’s pleading eyes.



 

Minho sighs heavily. “We’ve been dating for over 2 years already, Krys.” He says, his voice rising, slowly getting irritated.



 

“I know that, Oppa…I just-”



 

“Is it because you don’t trust me? Or maybe, because you don’t love me?”



 

“You know that’s not true, so don’t say things like that.” Krystal says sternly, her temper rising as well. “Let’s just wait a litt-”



 

“I have been waiting! How much longer do-” He’s cut off, but this time by the creaking of the door.



 

“Am I...interrupting something?” Her words come out sounding more like an accusation rather than a question.

 

 

 

“I have to go.” Minho says abruptly and arises from his seat. “I’ll see you later, Krystal.” He leaves the room, brushing past Jessica, and slams the door shut behind him.



 

Jessica folds her arms and directs her attention back to Krystal. “So, what was that about?” She says in a sarcastic tone, making it obvious that she had heard enough to know what had happened.



 

Krystal heaves a sigh before answering, “It was nothing important.”



 

“What a ing lie.” Jessica scoffs. She walks over to Krystal and sits on the chair beside the bed. “Look, if he’s trying to force you into something you don’t want to do, tell me-” Krystal cuts her off before she can finish.



 

“Why should I tell you? It’s not like you told me anything about Donghae anyway.” She says coldly.



 

“Don’t bring Donghae into this.” Jessica says strictly then sighs heavily. “I knew Minho was bad for you, saying like that. What if he actually tries something and i’m not here to prot-” The younger Jung quickly cuts her off once again.




 

“Stop, okay? I can take care of myself.” Krystal says. “So just drop it, because It’s none of your damn business!” Jessica frowns deeply at her sister’s statement.



 

“I’m your sister, It is my business!”



 

Krystal bit the inside of her cheek and stared down at her hands as the sudden feeling of despair washed over her. Being reminded, every single day, that they were sisters. And that it was wrong, completely forbidden, to be anything beyond the line of that relationship.



 

And so the younger Jung stayed silent.



 

Jessica’s expression softened, her frown replaced with a look full of guilt and worry, seeing her sister’s whole demeanor completely change within a matter of seconds. It was never a good thing when Krystal was silent.



 

Jessica can’t stand it when Krystal has negative feelings toward her.



 

“Hey…” Jessica coos. “I’m sorry. You’re right, I shouldn’t have intruded.” Of course, she doesn’t believe Krystal is the correct one here, but if surrendering means that she can mend the younger girl’s feelings, she’ll do it.



 

Krystal gently shakes her head. “No...It’s okay, don’t apologize.”



 

“I just want you to be careful, okay?”



 

“I will…” She says shortly.



 

Jessica smiles, completely putting aside the argument they had moments ago. “Your doctor said you haven’t been getting a lot of sleep lately. You should rest now.” She suggests. “It will help you recover faster so you can come home sooner.”



 

Krystal furrows her brows. “You’re going to leave?”


 


“No…” Jessica shakes her head. “I’ll be right here when you wake up, okay?”


 


The younger nods in agreement. “Okay.”



 

Before Krystal can slump down into her bed, Jessica stands up and plants a tender kiss on her forehead, letting her lips linger there.



 

After a few seconds she pulls away without looking back at Krystal, sits back in the chair, and closes her eyes as if she’s about to sleep as well.



 

Krystal bites her lip hard and curses to herself as she can feel her heart about to jump out of her chest with it’s sudden erratic pace. She can feel the effects of Jessica’s soft lips burning like fire against her skin.



 

This is wrong, she’s completely aware of that. She’s taking Jessica’s acts of sisterly love for something much more.



 

But what can she do about it?



 

Krystal slides into the bed, getting in a laying position. She takes in a deep breath, trying to slow her heartbeat, hoping Jessica wouldn’t notice how much it had increased on the heart rate monitor.



 

She pulls the covers all the way up to her nose, so only her eyes up to her head can be seen. Now that she’s finally laid down, she can feel the after effects of not sleeping hit her like an oncoming train.



 

She slowly shuts her eyes, surrendering to her fatigue.



 

The small smile playing on Jessica’s lips being the last thing she sees before completely drifting off into slumber.



 

*****



 

“Right this way.” The nurse says as she leads the two down the hall. They stop in front of a room labeled 34B. “This is your room, please wait here until your doctor arrives.”



 

“Thank you.” Tiffany says and walks into the said room, pulling her grandmother along with her.



 

The nurse turns around and walks back to the main room, before remembering something. She makes her way back to Tiffany’s room. “Oh Tiffany, I almost forgot to inform you of something.”



 

“What is it?”



 

“We’ve gotten the results of the x-ray back, so you’ve been assigned to a new doctor.”



 

Tiffany’s breath hitches as realization hits her “Ah….I see. So that means….”



 

The nurse is about to answer, but is cut off by the loud squeaks of someone’s sneakers against the floor. “Ah, there she is now.”



 

The said person arrives at the entrance of the door and gives both Tiffany and her grandmother a wide smile.



 

Tiffany raises an eyebrow. “Wait, she’s my grandmother’s new doctor? She looks a little young.”



 

The nurse scratches the back of her head uneasily, thinking their best doctor might find the patient to be rude, but to her relief, the latter only chuckles heartily at Tiffany’s remark.



 

“I get that all the time. Honestly, I find it a little flattering that people think of me to be younger than my age.” She suddenly clears and gives a small bow. “Anyway, I am Kim Taeyeon. And I’ll be your grandmother’s doctor from now on.