Just Another Crush?

Our Love Story Through A Melody (Hiatus)

Just another crush? « now playing: crush by abandoning sundays »

Kaycee groaned and covered her head with her pillow. Her afternoon nap was interrupted by the constant ringing of her doorbell. Dragging herself out of bed, Kaycee trudged towards the video screen next to her front door.

"Good morning sunshine~" Kaycee heard Suzy say in a happy sing-song voice as Kaycee watched her through the video screen. With a groan, Kaycee opened her door.

"Hi Kaycee!" Suzy said happily with a smile that rivaled the afternoon sun. "Don't you look-" Suzy stopped herself as she looked Kaycee up and down. Kaycee was wearing Super Junior t-shirt and purple checkered pajama pants. Clearly she just got out of bed considering her unruly hair and her eyes squinting due to the morning light.

Kaycee resisted the urge to slam the door in Suzy's face. "Don't say it."

Suzy smiled and shrugged as she let herself into Kaycee's apartment and looked around. She nearly tripped over a few boxes that were stacked up against the wall. The apartment looked bare with its light tan colored walls that had no decor on them whatsoever. The kitchen was filled with stainless steel and black appliances. The island bore a black marble top with black cylindrical shaped hanging lights above the island. The island separated the kitchen from the dining room which consisted of a round glass table with black legs and four black chairs with white seat cushions. The dining table stood in front of the simple sliding balcony doors. A grey three seating couch separated the dining room and the family room. A glass coffee table with black legs that matched the dining room table and a flat screen TV decorated the family room.

The whole place just seemed... lonely.

"You should unpack a bit..." Suzy suggested as she turned to Kaycee.

"I haven't had that much time." Kaycee said with a yawn.

Suzy hummed."Go get changed. We're going shopping."

Kaycee looked at Suzy incredulously. Her afternoon nap was interrupted for shopping? Yeah, no.

Kaycee shook her head and crossed her arms like a child. That was a big mistake. Two minutes later, Kaycee found herself being dragged into the bathroom by the ear. Kaycee screamed as Suzy attempted to pull her shirt off.

"Okay okay! I'll get changed!" Kaycee exclaimed as she shoved Suzy out of the bathroom and locked the door.

Suzy smiled and shrugged as she made her way into the room she guessed was Kaycee's. She studied the room carefully. It was probably the only room in the entire apartment that was unpacked. She sat herself down on the dark purple sheets and looked around.

Picture frames, quotes, and posters covered the lilac walls of the bedroom. Above Kaycee's bed were posters of bands, dramas, and anime. Above Kaycee's desk hung pictures of whom Suzy guessed to be Kaycee's family. In the corner of the bedroom stood a sleek black acoustic guitar and a sleek black electric guitar on their stands and a violin hanging from its stand on the wall with a black chair and a black stand in front of it. Above the violin were three plaques. Inside the plaques were music staffs and red hearts. Together, the three plaques formed a quote.

"Life is a song. Hope is the lyrics. Love is the music." Suzy mumbled as she read the plaque.

Kaycee came in a few minutes later towel drying her hair. Dressed in a simple black Baby Phat hoodie and dark denim skinny jeans. She sat down next to Suzy and followed her eyes to where Suzy was looking.

"What happens if there's no hope?" Suzy asked.

"Life is an instrumental I guess..." Kaycee shrugged.

"What if there's no love?" 

"It's a poem."

"So if there are no songs..."

"Life will cease to exist."

The two girls laughed/ Kaycee tossed her towel onto her bed and started to brush her hair.

"Why are we going shopping?" Kaycee asked.

"For Valentine's Day of course." Suzy said happily. "I'm gonna be my own Valentine!"

"Yeah, like that's going to happen..." Kaycee mumbled as she put on her gray beanie and black knit fingerless gloves. "Come on. Let's get this over with."
 



Kaycee realized that going shopping with Suzy was the second mistake she made that morning. She really shouldn't have answered the door.

When Suzy said that they were going shopping for Valentine's Day, Kaycee thought she meant buying little stuffed animals, discounted chocolates and candies, and sappy romance movies that they would make them feel even worse about being single. Apparently, Suzy meant shopping for clothes, shoes, accessories, and everything else that fit under that category.

"Why do you need so many holiday related clothes when you'll probably only wear them once?" Kaycee asked with a huff as she carries her (and Suzy's) bags.

"Don't be so cranky. We'll go get something you want now." Suzy said as she took her bags from Kaycee.

"Finally!" Kaycee grabbed Suzy by the arm and dragged her towards the one store she knew best in the entire mall She pulled the handle on the glass door and heard the familiar ding of the bell. She was at home now; surrounded by instruments and music galore.

Suzy herself was struck with awe as she looked around the store. Kaycee left her at the door as she went towards the string instrument section. 

Kaycee looked up and down the isle for violin strings and a violin mute. She didn't want her neighbors to come to her complaining. She grabbed a small basket that the store provided and dropped the things she needed into it. Kaycee realized that she also needed guitar strings and started her search down the isle.

Out of the corner of her eye, Kaycee saw a girl around her age with slightly orange tinted blonde hair reaching up on her tippy-toes, trying to grab a red bass guitar. She grabbed the body of the bass and the neck started to fall forward. Kaycee dropped her basket and rushed forward to catch the bass guitar. Gently, she set it down and waved he hand in front of the girl's face.

The girl's eyes were squinted shut in fear. When she realized that nothing had fallen on her, the girl opened her eyes and stared at her savior.

"Are you okay?" Kaycee asked as she put the bass back.

"Miahne.." The girl said softly as she looked down at her feet like a child about to be scorned.

"It's alright." Kaycee reassured as she looked the girl up and down. "You don't look like a bass player..."

The girl's eyes widened. "It's not a guitar?"

Kaycee resisted the urge to smack the girl on the head. "A regular guitar has six strings. A bass guitar has four strings." Kaycee explained.

The girl's mouth opened into an "O" shape. Kaycee's eyes twitched slightly.

"Are steel strings or nylon strings better?"  The girl asked.

"Well that kind of depends on what music you play... Nylon is mostly for classical music and steel is for rock music.."

The girl gasped and shooked Kaycee's hands quickly.

"Thank you! Thank you so much for helping me!"

After shaking Kaycee's hands, the girl skipped away. Kaycee stood in place contemplating the conversation she just had. Shaking her head, she bent down and picked up the basket that lay on the floor. As she stood back up, Kaycee found herself being tackled to the floor by none other than Suzy.

"Where were you?!" Suzy exclaimed as she hit Kaycee's head with the basket.

"Apa!" Kaycee exclaimed as she rubbed her head.

"Just go pay for your stuff and let's go." Suzy said as she crossed her arms. Kaycee nodded and went to the cash register.

The two left the music store and started to look around the mall.

"You should make something for Kwangyeon." Suzy stated as they passed by a store that was selling Valentine's Day candies.

"You really think so?" Kaycee asked as she peered into the store. Suzy nodded her head quickly.

"I'll think about it..."

 




Valentine's Day came sooner than Kaycee expected. After doing her homework the other night, Kaycee rushed to make chocolates and cookies for none other than Kim Kwangyeon. She placed the cookies and chocolates in a little bag and tied it up with a little red bow. She wrote her name on the little heart tag that said "Be Mine" and stared at her work. 

She smiled to herself as she went to go change. Holidays were the only days that the school would allow you to wear something other than your uniform.

Kaycee stared at herself in the full body mirror of her room. She turned to the left and right and inspected herself. She was wearing a black shirt with black lace sleeves with the word "LOVE" written black lace on the fro of her shirt. Her skirt was red with bold and faded black checkers. She was also wearing black tights and black heeled booties.

She gave a little twirl and did various little poses into the mirror.

"What a hipster..." she mumbled to herself. She grabbed her backpack and threw on a black leather jacket. She grabbed the baggie with the Valentine's Day treats off of the island and headed for school.

Today was slightly warmer than the last few days that week. Kaycee was thankful, considering she was not dressed for warmth. She put on her purple beats and started to listen to Secret's I Do I Do.

She looked around at the street vendors selling food and little treats for the holiday. She gave a soft smile as she saw the older couples walking down the street, holding hands. With a small sigh, Kaycee headed inside the school building and walked towards her classroom.

She sat down in her seat and inspected the classroom. Girls were dressed in pink and white either wearing skirts or dresses. Most of the boys were dressed in red shirts and had drawn kiss marks on their own cheeks.

Kaycee rolled her eyes. Suzy came by wearing a pale pink skirt, a white blouse, and white flats.

"Well it's nice to see that you're in the holiday spirit." Suzy said sarcastically as she looked Kaycee up and down. 

"Well St. Valentine was killed."" Kaycee said with a shrug. Suzy's eyebrows furrowed in confusion and Kaycee just waved her off.

Just then, a girl skipped into the classroom. She was wearing a white wool sweater that went just above her knees showing off her long legs clad in pale pink leggings. She was wearing heeled boots that were covered with white fur. On top of her head was a pale pink knit beanie.

She skipped towards Youngjun who was listening to a song on his phone. The girl placed a pink and white wrapped box on Youngjun's desk and smiled. Youngjun looked up from his phone and took out his earphones.

"Hi! I'm Nana. You don't know me, but I know you. You're Seo Youngjun. You're in a band called LEDApple with your friends. Your favorite guitar is your red electric guitar. Your birthday is on May 11, you're 180 cm tall, you're blood type B, you admire Jimi Hendrix, and you like to play basketball. Oh, and I love you."

"You play basketball?"

"Who's Jimi Hendrix?"

"Your blood type is B?"

"You're only 180 cm tall?"

"Why would you love him?"

The other members of LEDApple turned to look at Kyumin.

"What?" Kyumin asked. "It's a legitimate question."

Nana only giggled and pushed the box closer to Youngjun.

"Thank you..." Youngjun said as he picked up the box and shook it slightly. Nana smiled sweetly and skipped away. As she skipped away, Nana's eyes met Kaycee's and she gasped.

Kaycee's eyes widened. It was the girl from the music store.

Nana gave Kaycee a quick wave before she skipped out of the classroom probably to go back to hers.

Kaycee looked back at Youngjun and then to the door where Nana left. Youngjun, the average guitar playing guy versus Nana, the beautiful girl who could probably be a model if she wanted to.

"Why.." Suzy asked as if she was reading Kaycee's thoughts.

"I know right.." 

"So are you going to give it to him?" Suzy asked in a hushed tone as she looked over at Kwangyeon.

"I will..." Kaycee said quietly, also looking at Kwangyeon. "I'm just waiting for the right time."

"Do it! Do it do it do it do it! Or else, I'll drag you over there and threaten you with a knife." Suzy said. Kaycee laughed until she realized that Suzy's face was perfectly serious.

"I will I will. Sheesh."



After school ended, Kaycee waited for the class to file out of the classroom knowing that Kwangyeon would probably be last. Suzy nudged her with her elbow as if to tell her good luck.

The last few students started to file out and Kaycee stayed by her desk trying to act natural as she watched Kwangyeon pack up. She started to make her way towards Kwangyeon when the teacher suddenly called his attention.

"Kwangyeon-ssi, can we please talk?"

Kaycee sighed and hurried out of the room with the baggie full of homemade treats in her hands. Suzy spotted her and quickly ran up to her.

"You didn't give it to him?!" Suzy exclaimed.

Kaycee quickly covered . "Shhhh! The teacher called him so I couldn't give it to him!"

"You had the perfect chance too! He was right there and you two were alone and- Oh look, there he is! Kwangyeon-ah! Kwangyeon-ah!"

Kaycee kicked Suzy in the shin and buried her head in her locker. She peeked out slightly to see Kwangyeon looking around through the crowd of people confused.

"I'll give it to him when there's less people. He's not going to leave the school anyway. He's going to practice with his friends. Hey, where'd he go?" 

Kaycee looked around for Kwangyeon until Suzy nudged her in the side. Kaycee turned around and saw Kwangyeon walk past her. Suzy shoved her forward and she followed Kwangyeon. He stopped in front of a classroom door and peered in.

Kaycee's heart was thumping out of control. Biting her lip, Kaycee tugged on the sleeve of his shirt slightly. He turned around to the surprise of Kaycee who thought he wouldn't have felt that.

"H-Happy Valentine's Day..." she said in a soft voice that could barely be heard through the bustling students.

Kwangyeon took the gift out of her hands and stared at the cutely decorated cookies and chocolates. 

"You made these?" He asked. He smiled softly as he saw Kaycee nod. "Thank you."

Kaycee nodded and hurriedly walked back to Suzy. She breathed in heavily and held her hand over her heart.

"You did it!!! Yay!!!!" Suzy said as she hugged Kaycee tightly.

Kaycee's heart still beat erratically in her chest. "Yeah... I did...."

author's note

It was supposed to be posted on Valentine's Day >.> Oh well~