3/3

Zelo: Robot Bodyguard

Yongguk and Zelo were walking down the hospital hallway towards Bora’s room. While the four other guys had brought Bora to the hospital in Himchan’s car, Yongguk had taken Zelo home to fix him. Surprisingly, it didn’t take Yongguk long to set Zelo back to normal, and find out how things turned so ugly. Yongguk decided it was better to go see Bora and make sure she was okay before starting to work on the next update for Zelo, something that would keep this from happening again, but also allowing him to keep his human characteristics.

                On the way to the hospital, Yongguk had explained to Zelo what had happened, so now every step Zelo took towards Bora’s room made him feel worse. He didn’t feel worthy enough to see her, let alone still have feelings for her. ‘And now she knows I’m a robot… she’ll think I have been lying to her! And I hurt her! Himchan probably won’t let me near her—I shouldn’t be allowed near her!’

                “What’s wrong Zelo?” Yongguk asked.

                It was then Zelo realized he had stopped walking. “I’m not sure I should see her.”

                Yongguk sadly smiled. “I understand. Why don’t you go buy us all drinks and take some more time to get ready to see her?”

                “Okay, can you text me if she doesn’t want to see me?” Zelo asked as he took money from Yongguk.

                “Sure thing, but I’m sure she will still want to see you.”

                Zelo sighed and started walked the other direction to the vending machine. His depressing mood didn’t lift, in fact, the more he thought about it the more he wished Yongguk had never turned him back on. He randomly bought 6 drinks from the machine, not even bothering to buy himself something, and began dragging his feet to Bora’s hospital room. He groaned again as he made it to her door and was about to knock when he heard the voices from inside.

                “Is he safe to be around though?” Daehyun asked.

                “Yes, it’s just something I have to fix. Lightning hitting anyone who was wet would cause damage, just with Zelo it messed with his circuits.” Yongguk answered.

                “I’m not sure I want her around my sister Yongguk. He broke her arm!” Himchan said.

                “But from what you guys were saying he was trying to protect her.” Jongup piped in. “He just didn’t recognize that it was her.”

                “Exactly! How did he not know it was her?” Himchan argued. “I like the kid as much as the rest of you, hell I even told him he could ask Bora out, but I don’t know if I trust him now.”

                “So, he was going to ask me out…” Bora said.

                “Great, Himchan you totally ruined his confession.” Youngjae said annoyed.

                “He didn’t ask?” Himchan asked shocked.

                “He was going to but then he got interrupted.” Bora said quietly.

                Yongguk sighed. “The point here is that Zelo didn’t want to hurt Bora, he wanted to protect her but was unable to recognize her. I can fix some errors; I’m already working on it. Now that you know he’s a robot Bora, it’s up to you to decide if you still want him around.”

                “Why is it up to her?” Himchan snapped.

                “Because you had Yongguk make him for me!” Bora snapped back.

                “Which is why I should be the one to decide if he stays or goes!”

                “No, I get to decide. You guys have been so overprotective of me my whole life, you went and built a friggin’ robot! Don’t you think you are going over the top here?! What happens if you do get rid of Zelo, are you just going to make a new robot? Or, are you planning on having me be homeschooled, Himchan?” Bora fired right back, causing everyone to be speechless. She never got mad at them like this before.

                “Bora…” Youngjae started to say. “We just worry about you, you know?”

                Bora sighed. “You guys can’t protect me forever; it’s just not going to work. What happens when I go off to college? Were you planning on sending Zelo with me if I got accepted to a school faraway?”

                Yongguk sighed. “So, you want me to get rid of Zelo?”

                A huge clatter rang in the halls and Zelo looked around only to realize it was him dropping the cans of juice. He bent down hurriedly to pick them up and get away but Jongup opened the door to the room before he could escape.

                “Zelo.” Jongup looked at him with sad eyes.

                “Um…I—I brought drinks…” Zelo said awkwardly.

                Himchan stood up but Yongguk put a hand on his shoulder to stop him. “We should let them talk.”

                Himchan glared at the eldest one there but then he looked at Zelo and then at his sister. “Is that okay with you?”

                Zelo looked down at his feet feeling ashamed of himself. “Maybe I should just go.”

                “No!” Zelo looked up at Bora’s shout. She turned her fierce glare at Himchan. “Zelo is my friend and he is yours too. He made one mistake of which wasn’t his fault, yet you are treating him like a dangerous object.”

                Himchan hung his head but stood his ground.  “Technically, he is dangerous.”

                Bora groaned. “Everyone, except Zelo, get out of my room!”

                “Bora! One of us should stay—“

                “Himchan! I trust him and I’m the one he hurt. Now I said get out!”

                Jongup walked up to Himchan and grabbed his hands. “Come on, Himchan. You know everything will be fine. Your judgment is still being clouded because Bora got hurt. Let’s go downstairs so you can calm down.”

                Himchan sighed as he was dragged out of the room but he still gave Zelo a warning with his eyes before he disappeared. The rest of the guys followed leaving Zelo holding six different types of juices and soda in a quiet room with Bora.

                “So, um… did you want anything to drink?” Zelo offered.

                Bora smiled and gestured for Zelo to come sit on the chair beside her bed. Zelo put the drinks on the end table next to them and sat down, staring at his hands. “Bora, I’m really sorry about what happened. Honestly, I don’t even feel like I should be here right now. I can’t believe I hurt you.”

                Bora frowned. “Why shouldn’t you be here?”

                “What if I hurt you again?” Zelo asked worried.

                Bora reached over with her good arm and ruffled Zelo’s hair. “I trust that you aren’t going to hurt me. Yongguk fixed you up, like how the doctors are going to fix me. It’s not fair to judge you for what happened after getting hurt. You got hurt saving me! Zelo, I’m so thankful to you, you literally saved my life. If that bolt had hit me I wouldn’t be in this room, but the morgue.”

                “I’m programmed to protect you though… it’s the purpose of my creation.” Zelo said as he frowned and fixed his hair.

                “Yongguk was telling me more about that earlier. He said you go above and beyond what he programmed you to do. He just gave you the basics and you keep doing more. I trust in you, Zelo. I know that you would never hurt me intentionally.”

                “So… you don’t want to get rid of me?” Zelo looked at her completely vulnerable.

                Bora smiled and grabbed Zelo’s hand, remembering how he said it made him feel better. “No, I don’t want you to leave. I want you to stay with me forever.”

                Zelo perked up. “Forever? So, do you.. ummm…”

                Bora laughed. “Let’s take this one step at a time shall we? I only just found out you were a robot and that also makes you a spy for my older brother.”

                “I’m not a spy.” Zelo hung his head again, happy she wanted him but sad that she didn’t like him the way he liked her. “I should probably go…”

                “Wait!” Bora stopped Zelo from getting up.

                Zelo sat back down and looked at Bora who was turned away from him slightly blushing. “I said I don’t know how I feel now but that doesn’t mean you don’t have a chance. I just need time to let everything kind of soak in, do you understand?”

                “It is a lot to take in at once.” Zelo gave a small smile.

                “So, why don’t you take me on a date first so we can talk about things more?”

                Zelo smiled widely and stared at the girl he liked. “When your face turns red it must be a good thing for me, right?”

                “Sh—shut up Zelo! It’s called a blush and it’s embarrassing.” Bora covered her face.

                Zelo laughed and gently brought her hands down. “I think it’s cute. As long as Himchan and Yongguk are okay with it, why don’t we go on this date soon?”

                Bora couldn’t help but laughed. “Do you know what a date is?”

                “No, but I’m willing to learn for you.” Zelo continued smiling.

                The door slammed open revealing Himchan and Yongguk. Yongguk was smiling happy at what they had heard and Himchan was looking better than before.

                “How long have you guys been standing there?” Bora asked embarrassed.

                “Since you told Zelo you guys needed to take things one step at a time.” Yongguk was trying to hold back his laughter.

                “Hey! You guys practically didn’t leave!”

                “I forgot my wallet.” Himchan said staring at Zelo. Himchan sighed and walked into the room bending down so he could look Zelo directly in his eyes. “I know my words earlier were harsh Zelo but I hope you understand it was because I care about my sister more than anything in the world.”

                Zelo nodded hurriedly, worried about Himchan’s feelings about him going on a date with Bora.

                “Now, we are friends and I trust you with her, as long as Yongguk does another intensive look at your programming and gives you an update to help against malfunctions.”

                “Re—really?” Zelo asked.

                Himchan smiled. “You’re a cute kid, even if you are full of metal, and I trust you with her more than any of the other guys at her school. Yongguk and I have to give you lessons on etiquette though and I guess we’ll be the ones who will teach you about dating.”

                “No, listening to Daehyun.” Yongguk warned.

                “Wow, someone actually got Himchan’s approval.” Bora was shocked.

                “Not completely! He still needs to prove himself more! It’ll be an uphill battle from here on, Zelo. Are you up for the challenge?” Himchan warned.

                 Zelo smiled as he looked at Bora who started to blush again. “As long as Bora gives me a chance to win her heart, I’m up for any challenge.”


A/N: The chapters ended up a lot smaller than I planned ^_^; But as I was writing it just... flowed this way. Hope you enjoyed this short little peek into Robot Zelo's life~

Thank you for reading!