2/3

Zelo: Robot Bodyguard

                It was finally their turn to get on the log ride and Zelo was not impressed so far. The seats in the ‘log’ they were to ride in were drenched and there was no seat belt to keep them in their seat. The only redeeming quality was that he was able to sit in between Bora and Jongup. The older boys sat on the row behind them.

                “This is for the best.” Daehyun said as they started to climb a steep hill. “With the tall Zelo in the front hopefully I won’t get wet.”

                “I should have switched places with you… I’m behind Jongup.” Youngjae groaned. “You better not duck Jongup.”

                Jongup looked back at Youngjae. “But I don’t want to get drenched either! Maybe I’ll hide behind Zelo.”

                “No! I already called him.” Bora grabbed Zelo’s arm.

                “Is this really safe?” Zelo looked back at Yongguk. The safety of the ride was overriding his happiness of being so close to Bora. “There are no belts.”

                Yongguk smiled at him. “Everything is fine. The force of going down the hill keeps us in our seats.”

                Zelo looked at the waterfall around the corner. “And the point of this ride is?”

                Himchan leaned forward to put his hand on Zelo’s shoulder. “To see how wet we all get. I too will also be hiding behind you Zelo.”

                Bora pouted. “You guys are all babies, worried about your clothes and hair.”

                “Didn’t you just say you were planning on hiding behind Zelo?” Daehyun asked.

                “Oh look the waterfall!” Bora ignored his question leaving Daehyun to roll his eyes behind her back. Bora leaned in close to Zelo’s ear. “Right before we hit the bottom duck or move to the side. This way Daehyun can get sprayed!”

                Zelo chuckled. “Sounds fun.”

                “What are you two plotting?” Himchan asked suspiciously.

                “Nothing.” Bora stuck her tongue out at her older brother. “Here it is! Everyone get ready!”

                They went down the hill and many of the people shouted including the people on the bridge at the bottom of the hill, as if they were waiting for something. Bora clung to Zelo’s arm, the slight pressure making him smile, but he didn’t understand why. Right as they hit the bottom of the hill Zelo moved to the left, closer to Bora, and let all the water coming from the front of the ride splash back to Daehyun. Fortunately for Daehyun, not much of the water came from the front but from the sides.

                “Yah! You moved! You both were trying to get me wet!” Daehyun accused.

                “Don’t complain.” Youngjae, who had been sitting on the side, tried to shake some of the water off of himself.

                “The front doesn’t get as wet, I never knew that.” Jongup smiled as they got off the ride.

                Zelo looked at Yongguk and started laughing. “Yongguk, you look like you just got out of a lake.”

                Himchan smiled. “Did you enjoy your swim?”

                “Yes, haha, laugh it up guys. Let’s get into the sun.” Yongguk waddled to the exit in his completely wet attire.

                “Don’t think I’m going easy on you two! Get over here so I can punish you for trying to get me wet!” Daehyun shouted.

                Bora yelped seeing Daehyun coming after her. She pulled Zelo and they started to run away while Himchan just idly told them to be careful. The exit from the log ride involved going down many stairs but then a path circled around and forced them to go up. Eventually they ran up another little flight of stairs until they were on the bridge.

                “Wait, I can’t run anymore.” Bora panted standing in the middle of the bridge.

                Zelo looked around for Daehyun and saw him on the steps to the bridge, waiting. “Daehyun, are you tired too?”

                Daehyun smirked. “I think I’ll just wait here for a minute.”

                Zelo was confused until he heard the screams of people going down the log ride. He looked at the bridge and saw that it was drenched. Bora was still trying to gain her breath and didn’t realize until the boat was already halfway down the hill leaving them no time to escape. There was no time to run and no time to think of a plan. Zelo quickly stepped in front of Bora and wrapped his arms around her, her arms and all, and used his body to block the water from hitting her. It was a huge wave that ended up soaking his entire backside.

                “Are you okay?” Zelo looked down at her. He liked how close she was and how she fit in his embrace.

                “Ye—yeah thank you.” Bora said surprised by Zelo’s closeness.

                Zelo looked at her closely. “Your face is red, did something happen?”

                Bora chuckled in embarrassment as she stepped back from Zelo. “You are just so sweet Zelo.”

                Zelo blinked in confusion. “I taste good?”

                Bora laughed. “I meant… you’re really nice Zelo. Thanks for protecting me even though you got wet instead.”

                Zelo shrugged and looked down at his feet. “It was for you, so I don’t mind.

                Bora blushed not sure how to take Zelo’s straightforward talking. “We should get off the bridge so we don’t get caught again.”

                “Okay.” Zelo said feeling empty that she wasn’t touching him in some way.

                Daehyun caught up to them. “Zelo, you don’t always have to be so nice to her! You should have hid behind her instead.”
                Bora scoffed. “Zelo would never. He’s nice, unlike someone I know.”

                Daehyun nodded. “Youngjae would totally hide behind you. Probably be the one to drag you on the bridge in the first place.

                Bora laughed. “Of course you would bring up Youngjae.”

                Daehyun smirked. “Just saying the truth.”

                “What should we do next?” Zelo asked trying to get Bora to talk to him again.

                They had finally exited the log ride area and were looking around at all the people. Bora tapped her finger to her lips in thought. “V2 is fun. Might help you dry off too.”

                “Awesome! The food court is along the way.” Daehyun said.

                The rest of the guys arrived and Youngjae sighed. “Food, again? You realize everything here is overpriced right?”

                “But Jae, I’m hungry.” Daehyun whined.

                “I could actually go for some shaved ice.” Bora said.

                “Me too!” Jongup said.

                Yongguk scoffed. “Of course, coming from the ones that are barely wet.”

                Jongup shrugged. “We need to cool off too.”

                “Which way to the food, Daehyun?” Bora asked.

                “I am not a dog! I can’t just sniff out the food court.” Daehyun huffed, but after a few seconds he looked around. “It’s this way.

                Daehyun and the young ones led the way with Himchan and Youngjae close behind. Zelo went to join, not liking that Bora was close to Jongup and not him, only to have Yongguk pull on his shirt.

                Zelo pouted. “Can’t I go hang out with Bora?”

                Yongguk groaned seeing Zelo’s cute face and knowing he couldn’t say no to him. “Fine, but when they are ordering food we need to talk.”

                Zelo smiled. “Sure thing!”

                The walk to the food stalls went too quickly for Zelo’s taste though. Being near Bora and seeing her smile, he barely even registered the squishing sound his shoes were making when he walked.

                “Are you getting shaved ice too, Zelo?” Jongup asked.

                “Zelo and I are going to get something else.” Yongguk said before Zelo could reply. Zelo nodded and waved at his friends then walked off with Yongguk to a place in between two stores.

                “Is something wrong with me?” Zelo nervously asked.

                Yongguk stared at his phone and then back at Zelo. He sighed. “I saw what happened on the bridge.”

                Zelo blinked, waiting for Yongguk to continue. “Did I do something wrong? Or did you see the readings on the phone? I felt weird then too.”

                Yongguk looked at his phone again before shaking his head and putting it away. “No, you didn’t do anything wrong and the readings… I actually feel blind I didn’t see it before, but you’re a robot so I didn’t even think it was possible. I suppose I made you too lifelike.

                Zelo frowned. “So… there is something wrong with me…”

                “No! No, it’s just I didn’t expect this. Zelo…” Yongguk laughed in disbelief. “I think you like Bora.”

                “Of course I do, she is an amazing human.”

                “No, I mean really like her.”

                Zelo blinked in confusion. “I don’t understand.”

                Yongguk scratched his head. “I suppose we haven’t gone over this, have we? Okay, so when you see Bora smile, you smile too.”

                Zelo nodded quickly trying to understand where his creator was going.

                “You get frustrated when she spends more time with other people, but when she touches you immediately you feel like the happiest… robot on the earth. You always want to protect her—“

                “But I’m programmed to protect her.” Zelo said getting confused again.

                “Yes, but from people who are being mean. You didn’t have to protect her from the water earlier, you wanted to.” Yongguk explained.

                “Oh. So what does this all mean?”

                “That… you like her. You want to be her boyfriend who is with her always and you want her to say she likes you too.”

                Zelo thought about it, how it would be if Bora also was happy to see him or she liked to hold his hand. “I think I would like that… yes I think I really like her.”

                “So, you like my little sister, huh?”

                Zelo jumped and turned towards Himchan who was standing at the end of the little alley. “Him—Himchan.”

                Himchan laughed as he got closer. “Don’t be so scared Zelo, I’m not going to hurt you.”

                “But… I heard that even if it was Jongup who liked her you would kill him…” Zelo twiddled his fingers nervously.

                “You can like her, but you can’t ask her on a date.” Himchan glared.

                “Himchan, you are being ridiculous. She has to grow up sometime.” Yongguk said.

                “Dating a robot though? What if these emotions are things you forced on him?”

                Yongguk sighed. “It isn’t like that. I told you how his personality is developing on its own. Sure, it isn’t natural for a robot to date a human, but he’s becoming more and more like a human every day.”

                Himchan crossed his arms. “But he is still a robot. How will their future work out?”

                “Shouldn’t that be for Bora and Zelo to decide?” Yongguk sighed after the few seconds of quiet between them. “Look, we are all really close with Zelo already so even after this school year is over, he isn’t going anywhere. I’m never going to tell people he is a robot either. When he needs an ID number or birth certificate I’ll forge them for him. I’ll even help him age by looks and abilities. If he gets married and wants kids, hopefully by then I can manufacture —“

                “Woah!” Himchan held his arms out. “Stop, I get it. Just… I’d listen but we are talking in the context of my sister right now.”

                “Himchan.” The older boys looked at the robot who was staring at Bora eating with Jongup. “I like your sister. There are many pretty girls in the world, but Bora is the only one I want to stare at all the time. I love listening to her laugh and I will do anything to see her smile. Am I not satisfactory to be her boyfriend?”

                Himchan sighed. As an overprotective older brother he had seen the looks Zelo had given his sister before, as well as the care he always showed her. “If you weren’t my friend or Yongguk’s… cousin then no, but I know your feelings really are pure, so it’s fine. As long as she agrees.”

                Zelo smiled. “So… I like her… what do I do now?”

                Himchan and Yongguk exchanged glances and laughed. “Well, you could tell her.” Yongguk said.

                The words had barely left his lips before Zelo was running to Bora. Finally knowing what he was feeling Zelo didn’t want to waste any time. He was so excited; he wanted to share this amazing feeling with the world. ‘Liking someone, I like someone. It feels weird but I like it.’

                “Zelo, where did you come from?” Bora asked when he reached them.

                “Bora, can I talk to you?” Zelo smiled.

                Bora chuckled. “Aren’t we talking now?”

                Zelo pouted. “Yeah.. I suppose, but can we talk by the fountain?”

                Bora looked at Jongup who shrugged indifferent to her leaving. “Sure.”

                When they finally got to the fountain though, Zelo’s excitement had faded into nervousness. ‘Wait, I didn’t think this through. What if she says no? I still have to protect her and be her friend. Why didn’t I wait and try to figure out if she liked me!?’

                Bora smiled seeing Zelo acting cute and shy. “Zelo, what is it you wanted to talk about?”

                “I didn’t think this through… maybe I shouldn’t say anything yet.” Zelo stuttered.

                Bora bit her lower lip out of nerves, seeing how Zelo was acting. “Zelo…”

                “Can I hold your hand? Maybe that will help.”

                Boa looked at her hand and then back at Zelo. She chuckled but held out her hand. “You are so funny. Does this help?”

                Zelo grabbed her hand and smiled. “It makes me feel better.” Zelo held his other hand over his heart. “My heart starts jumping, and I think I like it when it does that. I feel happy.”

                Bora blushed and looked down at their hands. Zelo inhaled and smiled. “Bora, I even got Himchan’s approval before telling you this, but… well… I’ve realized that—“

                Terrified screams filled the air cutting Zelo off. Zelo turned around and saw a nine foot tall woman wearing what looked like grey thunder clouds for clothes. Her crazy blonde hair was sticking out in every direction as she laughed menacingly. “I will kill you all!”

                Bora grabbed the back of Zelo’s damp shirt in fear. “Zelo! What should we do?”

                Zelo looked to where their friends were and saw them running for the alley he had been in. “I think we are going to fight.”

                “What?? You guys can’t fight something like her! I don’t care what Yongguk made you all.” Bora said frightened as the monstrous woman began to get closer.

                “We’ve fought many things like her, but first I need to get you to safety. Come on.”

                Zelo grabbed Bora’s hand and started dragging her towards the others.

                “Where do you think you’re going?!” The giant shouted after spotting them.

                Bora screamed as a bolt of lightning barely missed her. Zelo pushed her in front of him forcing her to run in front so he could guard her from the back. Another bolt headed directly at Bora.

                Zelo’s eyes widened. “Bora!!” With no time to think Zelo jumped in front of her.

                The electrical current was magnified thanks to the water still running down Zelo’s back. Bora stared at him in horror as his eyes flashed different colors and electricity could be seen in his mouth. It lasted a few seconds but to Bora it felt like minutes staring at Zelo before the lights stopped and he stood there with his head down.

                “Zelo?” Bora asked softly.

                “Zelo! Get Bora to safety while we distract the lightning monster!” Yongguk said.

                The five boys ran past the two newly transformed into their fighting gear which also masked their identity.

                “Protect. Bora. Always. Protect. Bora.” Zelo said for the first time actually sounding robotic.

                Shivers ran down Bora’s spine. “Zelo, are you okay?”

                Zelo finally raised his head and Bora gasped. Zelo’s normal brown eyes were gone. Instead, the whole eyeballs were black with binary code running across them. She started to inch closer to him. “Zelo?”

                Zelo looked around. “Where is Bora?”

                “Zelo, I’m right here.” Bora’s voice was shaking.

                “You are not my Bora.” Zelo glared. “What did you do with her?”

                “Zelo, it’s me.” Bora touched his arm.

                “You are not Bora! What did you do with Bora?” Zelo pushed Bora away using all his strength.

                She went flying backwards, landing on a table in a bad position. She cried out in pain and cradled her wrist which she had landed on wrong. “Zelo stop!”

                Zelo practically flew at her. He grabbed her t-shirt and lifted her off the table. “Where is Bora?!”

                “I am Bora! Please Zelo, believe me.” Bora started to cry.

                “You think I would believe you!?” Zelo gritted his teeth.

                He picked her up and threw her again. This time there was no table nearby and Bora screamed seeing that she was going to hit a brick wall. She closed her eyes and braced for impact, but the impact was softer than she expected. Bora looked up and saw a man dressed in a white uniform holding her, blocking her just inches from the wall, and a serious concussion.

                “Daehyun, help Zelo…” Was all she was able to say before she out from pain and shock.

                “We will sweetheart.” Daehyun cradled her gently.

                “Yongguk! Come fix Zelo!” Daehyun shouted seeing Zelo advance on them.

                The man wearing the matching red costume turned his head and immediately started running over to them, trusting that Jongup, Youngjae, and Himchan could take care of the monster.

                “What happened?” Yongguk asked as he put himself in between Daehyun and Zelo.

                “I don’t know! I think the lightning did something to him though because right after that he started attacking Bora.”

                “Zelo?” Yongguk called out.

                “Where. Is. Bora. Must. Protect. Bora.”

                “He doesn’t recognize us.” Yongguk said astounded. “He didn’t realize it was Bora.”

                “Yongguk, we can deal with that later but we need to get Bora to a hospital!” Daehyun shouted.

                “Right, I need the emergency shut off code.” Yongguk tried to think back to when he made Zelo.

                “Yongguk!” Daehyun shouted seeing Zelo preparing to hit the elder.

                “Got it! At night, what do we do with our computers?”

                “Shut down.” Zelo crumbled to the ground as he turned off.

                “Really?” Daehyun judged Yongguk.

                Yongguk shrugged. “He always says shut down when he turns off, so I made it a joke.”

                “It’s not even funny! How was that a joke?!”’

                Yongguk scratched his helmet. “You’re right… I need to work on a new emergency shut down code.”

                Daehyun groaned. “That’s not the point…”

                Yongguk picked Zelo up, once again thankfully that he had made Zelo with light weight metals. “Let’s get these two out of here.”

                “What happened to Zelo?!” Jongup dressed in his green outfit ran up to them since they had finished off the monster.

                “Bora!!” Himchan tore off his pink helmet and knelt beside Daehyun and Bora.

                “We need to get her to a hospital and Zelo to my lab. We’ll explain on the way.” Yongguk said as he started leading the way to the exit.

                Himchan picked up Bora and started carrying her. They untransformed and left the park as quickly as they could.