(it always starts with the small things)

Firsts
Lyrics credit — Avril Lavigne's I love you
 
 

8 steps down the stairs (plus or minus two)

 

The first time they meet is cliché.

Yifan ruffles his sweaty hair with a towel as he climbs up the stairs to his third-floor locker. It’s Sunday evening before the new semester and he’s already exhausted from basketball practice. At the bottom of the last set of stairs, he pauses for only an instant to check his cellphone when—

“Oh!”

Something solid stumbles against his chest and his hands instinctively reach out to hold onto slender shoulders.

“What the—?” Yifan gazes down and meets wide eyes.

“I’m so sorry!” the other male says, slightly breathlessly. “I missed the last step…”

Yifan doesn’t quite hear. He has to lean back a bit as not to get the full blast of sparkles from the other’s eyes. His aura just seemed to glow.

Those round eyes blink. “Hello? Are you ok?”

“Be—” Yifan coughs and goes to steady the other on his feet. “Be careful.”

The other smiles so wide that Yifan swears the sun had risen early.

“I will!” Vigorous head-nodding. “Oh!” Then he turns around. “I’m Yixing, nice to meet you!”

He finds himself saying, “Yi…fan.”

“Good night, Yifan! Hope to see you soon!” With that, he is gone.

And Yifan will never admit that “Be careful” had not been what he mean to say at all.

I like your vibe

 

7 mis-sung lyrics (and only one is right)

 

The seventh time Yifan hears Yixing sing is early one Thursday halfway into the semester.

Yifan keeps telling himself that ‘Yes this route is the shortest way to my Literature classroom’ but after a while (and hundreds of disbelieving eye-rolls by Tao and Luhan) he’s having trouble believing it himself.

Turns out that Yixing is the new transfer student and not much is known about him except he came from a place in China and came on a full scholarship (but even Luhan doesn’t know what kind). He fits in easily and soon takes residence in one of the art rooms.

Every Thursday, Yifan passes by the open door and always has to resist the urge to wince. Yixing is always with Luhan, singing off-key and twirling about the room. The only saving grace is the delighted expression on Yixing’s face that seems to light up the whole campus.

Somewhere between the third and fourth time he passes by, Yixing notices the tall figure strolling by at 10:15 every day. By the fifth time, he is smiling and waving at Yifan without missing a beat of his song and it causes Yifan’s heart to miss the beat for him.

Yifan doesn’t understand why the two always are like that, though. He knows from experience that Luhan has a perfectly functioning voice that he has been recently using to serenade the Music Theory TA.

But that day, on the seventh week, Yifan passes early. He knows that Luhan is “sick” with fanboy-syndrome (which means class-skipping to attend concerts with Tao) and he wonders what Yixing would do then.

What he finds has him rooted to the ground, jaw slack.

The door is open as always and Yixing’s sitting there, uniform ed to reveal a white wife-beater. He leans over his guitar, fingers gliding along the strings and he is singing. Yifan is too far away to hear the words, but the sound is enough to stun him.

Suddenly Yifan knows what Yixing had gotten his scholarship for.

After a few moments, Yixing senses someone watching and looks up catches Yifan’s eyes before the older can look away. He smiles in acknowledgement but his piano fingers don’t stop moving, sweet voice never faltering.

It’s the first time Yifan hears Yixing sing for real and he’s pretty sure if it’s not good for his general wellbeing.

I like your style

 

6 wrong turns (but found the sky)

 

By October, Luhan decides that ‘Oh my god, this is ridiculous’ and a few days later Yifan finds himself on Halloween night walking with Yixing through the cornfields.

Originally it had been them two, Jongdae (Yifan has to give credit to the TA for holding out on Luhan this long), Luhan, Tao and Minseok. Somehow the four had disappeared and Yifan had a sneaking suspicion that they had been set up.

“I think it’s this way?”

Yifan has to admit that Yixing is a trooper for hanging out here for so long with him. The problem is that the map had been with Jongdae and neither of them is directionally competent.

After a few dead ends, they find a new road they had missed. Suddenly, they find themselves outside the cornfields on a cliff that overlooked the valley. From here, Yifan can just barely make out the college campus.

“We should go back and try…” Yifan trails off.

Yixing hadn’t moved from his spot. His hands are clasped behind him and the wind teases his hair. Yifan isn’t sure which is brighter—the full moon or Yixing’s eyes.

“It’s so lovely,” Yixing murmurs. He chuckles. “When I first came here, it all seemed so large and intimidating. But now that I’m this far, I can see that it’s so beautiful now, with all those scattered lights. Just like stars…”

Then he turns to look up at Yifan. His smile glitters even in the dark. “Thanks for bringing me here.”

Yifan coughs and shuffles his feet. “I-it was by accident…”

“I’m a strong believer in fate.”

Yifan is spared a response when he sees Yixing shiver. With a guff “come here”, he pulls Yixing in and shares his jacket and he notices for the first time how small Yixing is.

They manage to find their way out and the others are waiting. Four pairs of eyebrows raise at the sight of Yixing wearing a thick jacket a couple sizes too large, but nothing else is said.

It’s the first time Yifan lends anyone his jacket. The next time he wears it, it smells faintly of flowers.

And I like the way you watch the stars

 

5 shots of vodka (or more I can’t remember)

 

The first time they hold hands, it’s Yifan who had offered his.

The other four had decided on a three day trip during spring break because it is Luhan and Yifan’s last semester before going off to the “real world”, and as per usual, Yifan and Yixing are dragged along.

It isn’t until the last night that they manage to get Yixing drunk.

That night, Yifan’s eyebrows fly up and disappear into his bangs as he watches over his third beer Jongdae, Yixing, Tao, and Luhan play Chinese poker.

It isn’t that Yixing had a high alcohol-tolerance (he is a lightweight if Yifan ever saw one) but it’s just he is so good at winning every game that they play that they are almost out of alcohol and Luhan, Jongdae, and Tao are rolling around and giggling by the time Yixing takes his last shot.

Minseok calls in early and drags a whining Tao to his room, saying that babies need their sleep. Somewhere between the last drops of vodka and when Yifan comes back from the kitJongdae for a drink, Luhan and Jongdae make their way to their room, which is quite a feat considering that they are tripping over each other’s feet.

Yixing is sitting on the ground, hands between his legs and eyes staring blearily into space. He looks up as Yifan leans down to pull a blanket around his shoulders.

“Yifan…”

“Hmmm?”

“Where did everyone go?”

“To bed,” Yifan replies, putting some of the glasses away. “And you should be too. C’mon.” He reaches out a hand and beckoning him forward.

Yixing blinks at this gesture before, “Yifan?”

“Yes?”

A smile breaks across those soft features as Yixing opens his arms and asks, “Carry me?”

Yifan would like to believe that he is immune to cuteness, but he is scooping the bundle of drunk matter into his arms before he can even form a protest in his mind.

As if it couldn’t get any worse, Yixing snuggles into the valley of Yifan’s neck with a sound too much like purring and Yifan has to resist the urge to lean down and kiss those lips.

Soon Yifan is slipping Yixing into the bed but as he moves to get up, he’s stopped by the arms still looped around his neck. Yixing murmurs a “You’re too good to me…” before letting loose.

Yifan’s heart and head are spinning so much that he barely remembers shaking his head and he turns out the lights, closing the door.

I like the way you misbehave when you get wasted

 

 

4 seats (and still one short)

 

The train rumbles into life just as they make their way to their seats. Xiumin had headed home early so it is just the five of them. Luhan and Jongdae and Tao quickly slide into one row, sniggering through ‘Hey, I’m sure there’s a spot for you guys’.

And they’re right. Two rows back, there is only one seat open next to a young man in with red hair, judging them before disappearing behind the newspaper and making no indication that he noticed that there is only one seat left. Yifan is about to tell Yixing to sit when the younger suddenly pushed him into the seat. Then with an expression of amusement and embarrassment, Yixing turns and plants himself on Yifan’s lap. Yifan’s shock quickly melts into warmth when he sees that Yixing’s ears are blazing red so his arms loop around the shorter’s waist as the train sways back and forth.

They stay like that for the journey, despite the mockery from two rows ahead. A few minutes in, the young man beside them sets down his newspaper on the seat and strides away. But they didn’t dare to move in case he comes back.

Talking became easier as they got ever the initial awkwardness. They talked about everything and nothing. But, inevitably, the only topic that Yifan hadn’t wanted to talk to Yixing about comes up.

“So, how do you feel about going back to America?” Yixing’s voice is casual.

There is no point hiding the fact anymore. “Honestly, I don’t know,” Yifan says, avoiding Yixing’s eyes. “I know it’s a great opportunity to go back to America and all, but I just don’t know if I want to do it or if it is to please my parents. I mean I spent four months on that application essay, but I don’t know if it’s really worth it. I had wanted to go back ever since I came to Korea, but now that I’ve made a home here…” his voice trails off before he starts. “Sorry, I’m probably not making sense…”

“Oh, no.” Yixing shakes his head. “I understand.”

Soon their conversation lulls into quiet again. Both Yixing and Yifan are tired from the long trip and relaxed by the gentle train ride. Despite their best efforts, they doze off cuddled up together on the chair. Victorious grins from two rows ahead as Jongdae slides into Luhan’s lap and Tao types happily away on his phone.

It’s the first time someone had understood him. When he looks at the one of the photos he snatches from Jongdae, Yifan can’t help notice how well they fit together. And he wonders how much good could fit inside of one person.

And how you keep your cool when I’m complicated

 

3 seconds early (and I don’t regret a thing)

 

Just because the three eldest’s future are set doesn’t mean that Yixing’s or Jongdae’s are. Yifan finds himself staying up late with Yixing, guiding him through application after application and getting tea when he feels the other is hyperventilating too much.

Yifan is the first one that Yixing tells the news. It’s April and warm and Yifan has his old gray button-up shirt rolled up to his elbows as he paints the birdhouse he made for his woodshop class at the picnic table (hey, he’s a second semester senior, he can take some easy classes).

A shadow passes over his head and Yixing slips in beside him, facing him with his legs straddling the bench. He’s in a black wife-beater and sweat glistens on his arm.

“How was practice?”

“Not bad, not bad,” Yixing replies, reaching across to take Yifan’s water bottle.

Yifan nods and goes back his painting. He feels Yixing’s gaze more strongly than the sun on the back of his neck. After a few moments, he raises an eyebrow in the younger’s direction. “Yes?”

“I…uh…Have something to tell you…”

Glancing up, Yifan notices that Yixing is blushing and something inside twinges in response. He sets down the paint brush to look Yixing full in the eyes.

If it is possible, the red on his cheeks deepen. “I…I got in.”

You did? That’s awesome!” Yifan slings an arm around Yixing’s shoulder and ruffles his hair, gummy smile wide. “I knew you could do it.”

Yixing laughs. “Only with your help, of course.”

Pulling back and picking back up the birdhouse, Yifan just waves it away. “It’s nothing.”

“But… it means a lot… to me. I wanted to thank you and…” Yixing’s voice trails off. Three seconds pass and Yifan turns to see what’s up. He only has a rustle of brown hair falling and a small breath before Yixing’s lips are on his.

Yifan freezes, not quite sure what happened or is going on. The world seems to pause for a moment in its orbit to watch. All he knows is that Yixing is kissing him and he’s not pulling back or anything and wow he’s so soft and he smells really nice—

Suddenly, Yixing’s eyes flash open, surprise reflecting back into Yifan’s eyes. And he’s jerking back, his blush blushing now. “Oh my god, I-I’m so sorry!” he stutters. “I-I had only meant to kiss your cheek but then—I—You—”

The rest of his words are effectively shut down as Yifan pulls him in and deliberately kisses him with a low growl in his throat. It only takes a few more seconds for the shock to fade away before Yixing is wrapping his arms tentatively around his neck. Yifan is reaching forward and tugging Yixing’s hips forward until the smaller is on his lap. Their breath quickens as they pass it between them like jokes, lips curved up in the same way.

Finally, Yifan pulls back and rests his forehead against Yixing’s. “Whoops,” he says, not the least bit sorry.

The younger giggles and lands a small peck. “Whoops.”

It’s the first time they kiss and, as they are fitting their lips so perfectly together, they know that it is far from the last and it is the most beautiful accident.

I like your smile

 

 

2 apples too many (but I don’t mind)

 

Graduation and the summer after passes in the flurry.

Then Luhan’s back in Beijing and, from what they hear, having a miserable time without Jongdae. Yifan would be there too, but he decides that he would like to take year off to work, to earn some money before flying back to China. It’s mostly true, but (not so) deep down, everyone knows it’s because he wants to be there for Yixing’s graduation.

The closest job that Yifan gets is at a school a train-ride away, teaching literature to third graders, which everyone teases him for. Yixing takes it in stride (with a couple of jabs here and there) and they do their best to meet up whenever they can. That year passes quickly as well, long stretches of work with snippets of sadness, but overall splattered with happiness.

Yixing graduates with honors and Yifan couldn’t have been prouder, watching his boyfriend receive the sheet of paper that really doesn’t show even a little of the tears and sweat and journey it took to get it.

But when Yixing is running up to him, jumping up and looping his arms around Yifan’s neck, Yifan doesn’t regret a thing, going through it all with him.

They go apple picking the last summer day before Yifan really has to leave and Yixing goes on to study music and dance.

There aren’t many people since apples were out of season, but that’s the way they wanted it anyway. All thoughts of their separation are pushed aside as they chase each other in between the trees and trying to toss apples into each other’s baskets and pressing laughing kisses when they accidentally (or not so accidentally) miss.

When they gather the twenty apples they paid for, they tumble back into the summer grass and gazing into the sky. The moment stretches itself comfortably between them like a cat. Yifan’s mind, unstimulated by the running around, wanders back to their inevitable separation. His chest tightens and glances over.

“What are you thinking about?” he asks.

Yixing’s melodic voice washes away the momentary anxiety and dread. He grins from underneath the hand he has draped over his forehead. “I was just wishing that we can always stay together like this.”

“Don’t worry,” Yifan assures him.  He reaches over and puts his hand on top of the younger’s. Looking up, they see the warmth reflected in the depths of each other’s eyes. “I have all our dreams prayed for. We’ll make it work. And I will wait, if I need to.” For a moment, he’s not sure whether he’s convincing Yixing or himself.

Yixing senses this and whispers, “Swear?”

“Promise.”

Then the younger’s lips curl into a mischievous smile. He points up at the top of the tree above them and two red apples peek out from between the leaves. “Swear on those apples?”

Chuckling, Yifan shrugs and says, “Why not.”

“Ok, let’s get them.”

Before Yifan can say that they would have to pay extra for those, Yixing is pulling him up onto his feet, gesturing for him to pick up the basket. When Yifan turns around, he finds Yixing pouting at the apples that are out of his reach.

This time Yifan surprises the younger by scooping him up and, ignoring his protests, helps him climb onto his shoulders. They sway a little before finding their balance and the warmth of Yixing’s legs against his skin grounds him.

They end up getting charged a little more for the extra two, but Yifan doesn’t mind. Yixing’s smile and laughter is far worth it.

It’s the first time he wished so hard for someone to catch up to him. And it’s not the first time he didn’t want to leave at all.

You’re so beautiful

 

 

1 reason why (and I don’t need any more)

 

They had arranged to leave at the same time so that neither would be left behind.

Yifan’s hold on Yixing is tight and it’s quiet. Maybe it’s from the lack of coffee at 7am or maybe they don’t have anything to say. Or maybe there’s nothing to be said.

Too soon the speakers are calling the rows one by one. Yifan’s grip around Yixing’s waist tightens as the number draw closer to 145B. His own flight is in twenty minutes at a different terminal, but he can run.

Rows 100-110

“Hey.”

Yifan pulls back just enough to see Yixing’s face without breaking the loop he makes around his lover. “Hmmm?”

“Remember when we got lost in the cornfields?”

“Yeah?”

“I wasn’t lost at all,” Yixing says. He leans forward to rest his forehead against Yifan’s chest. “Because I was with you.”

Yifan thinks he should be used to this by now, but the heavy drum against his chest tells him otherwise. And maybe he never will. He chuckles.

Yixing isn’t finished, though. “I’m still a strong believer in fate and I believe as long we see the same stars, we’ll be together.”

This time Yifan actually laughs aloud. “Stop acting like you’re not gonna call me as soon as we land, you sap,” he says, ruffling the newly-blonde hair.

Rows 130-140

Yifan doesn’t hear the rest of the call because Yixing is suddenly pulling him down and kissing him so fiercely. It’s as if he is trying to cram a year’s worth of kisses into one and Yifan immediately matches the passion. Then Yixing is pushing him away with a “You have 20 minutes go!”

And Yifan is running. Towards another future, but a future that still includes the guitar boy. Because he isn’t letting Yixing go. Not now, not ever.

It’s the first time they fell in love. As long as they are together, nothing else matters.

 

And I'm not sure you know that the reason I love you is you, being you, just you

Yeah the reason I love you is all that we've been through

And that's why I love you

 

 

 


A/N: FIRST OF ALL, I AM SO SORRY THIS TOOK ME OVER TWO MONTHS TO DO OMFG /bashes head with frying pan

As I said, this is for my lovely bb maunier ;3; pls keep being awesome!!

For everyone else, thank you so much for subbing! I’ll do my best to get back on schedule and with all this snow coming in and all my new chenyin feels everything’s everywhere OTL I really had to rush this omfg why do I always do this OTL

Again, credits to Avril Lavigne for her lyrics. Love you all~ thank you for reading!!

Oh, in case you are wondering, yes, their first meeting is inspired by their actual first meeting, as told by Laynicorn here @ 48:15 - 48:34 (IswearitsoundsalotbetterinchineseOTL)