ii.

Opposites Attract

chapter 2 : The First Encounter

Yoonji's POV

 

I was a bit shocked when Hyura told me that Mr. Gu wanted to meet me this morning. I tried to think of any possible reasons on why he suddenly wanted to see me, but I couldn't figure out why. I didn't remember doing anything wrong to him. Or did I?

 

As I made my way towards the teacher's room, I could feel my heart beating faster for no particular reason. It felt like there's a balloon expanding right inside my gut, getting bigger and bigger each time I made another step. I could feel trickles of cold sweat glistening on my forehead as I continued walking. I didn't understand.  Why was I feeling so nervous? 

 

After some time, I finally reached the teacher's room. There was a big sign - Gu Sang Hoon, Physics Department -  all in capital letters, hanging in front of the door. I reached for the doorknob and cautiously opened the door. However, what - or should I say who - I saw next was totally unexpected.

 

I didn't see any Mr. Gu in the room. Instead, I caught the presence of him, the one who can send a sudden electric-like impulses right through my nerves. Of all the 7 billion people in the world, why would I have to face this guy?  I instantly felt numb all of the sudden. Without realizing it, I just stood there, right in front of the door, acting like a dumb statue.

 

To my horror, he happened to see me. And he was now looking straight at me. I was perplexed. I couldn't hide myself now. I would look like a total idiot if I did. Luckily, I somehow found myself back and got the courage to speak.

 

"Where's Mr. Gu?" I said, breaking the silence. I prayed that he wouldn't notice my suddenly-red cheeks, which were burning hot at that time.

 

"Oh. Umm... he went out for a while. He'll be back soon. But why are you looking for him?"

 

I was about to answer when I heard a familiar voice right behind me.

 

"Oh, is that you, Choi Yoonji? Why are you standing there?"

 

Thank God, Mr. Gu's here. I promptly entered the room as soon as I heard him. Mr. Gu took a seat behind his desk. He looked at the boy next to me and said:

 

"Kyoung Jae-ah, this is Choi Yoonji."

 

The boy turned his face to me and carved a smile. Wait a minute, did he just smiled at me?

 

If my cheeks were burning hot a moment ago, now I could feel them scorching hot. No kidding. I felt my heart beating really, really fast right now, as if I'm going to collapse any minute. I didn't understand the middle-aged teacher in front of me. Why was he introducing me to him?

 

"Kyoung Jae, can you please leave us alone for a moment? I have something to talk to her."

 

Without a word, he simply followed Mr. Gu's order. Now, I was left alone with the Physics teacher in front of me. Somehow, I felt a little bit uncomfortable about the situation. He asked me to sit down.

 

"Yoonji, I actually have a favor for you."

 

"A favor?"

 

"Yes. I need you to become Kyoung Jae's personal tutor."

 

I was dumbfounded upon hearing that. Me? Kyoung Jae? Tutor? That doesn't make any sense! Or does it?

 

"B...but why?"

 

"Listen, I know that you're the only one who can help him. Kyoung Jae's really weak in his studies and you on the other hand, are one of the best students I've ever met throughout my 23 years of teaching. I really need you to help Kyoung Jae overcome his academic problems, or else he won't be able to go and further his studies."

 

I still can't get it. Why does it have to be me? And why does he have to care about Kyoung Jae that much?

 

"Please, Yoonji. You're the only one who can save him." I took a look at the teacher's face. He was looking so sincere and filled with high expectations. 

 

Okay, I know I should have said no, but somehow, I blurted out my approval.

 

And not long after that, I totally regretted what I've just said.