prologue

Nirvana

Yuri shook Changmin in her arms and tried to calm the little fellow. She nodded when I looked at her and rushed inside the house where they should be safe. I couldn’t risk my child's safety, not when we were supposed to celebrate his 4th birthday. Daesung frowned, unable to see what was happening. As my abilities became stronger, I could read almost everything he thought in that moment. He was scared of the aftermath and the scale of that disaster. Carriers might be at the bottom of the three Other World spheres, but they also had one of the most important tasks. If no souls were going to be collected in the following hours, the balance shall be destroyed. Not only that, but ghosts might become angry and hungry, thus rebel against their status and try to escape from their spiritual form. That meant people, innocent people, will suffer from their rage. It wasn’t even their fault – they were ready to die and they have been denied that. Those spirits were the most instable in that very second.

“Jun Min!” I yelled in the reaper’s direction. He tilted his head back at me. I dashed and jumped on his back. Strangling Jung Min, his wings spread wide and he skyrocketed from the ground. I had to get a better look. It was dangerous for Jung Min to be around fire, but as long as I was there, I could force my energy to form a shield around us and feed him with enough power to maintain altitude. Carriers bumped into the shield a couple of times. None actually touched us. Jung Min forced his special vision ahead while I tried to understand the situation from what I felt.

Apparently, it spread only around our area. Some kilometers away, the incident was restrained to a few groups which spontaneously combusted. Once their burning bodies accidently brushed against unsuspecting reapers, they burned as well. It was a chain reaction which spread in a circle and soon surrounded the entire mountain area.

“What do you think?” Jung Min asked as he continued to scrutinize the horizon. He forced his wings until we were above the rain of fire. Hovering in that very spot, we could see clearer the pattern.

“Why would Death do this?” I replied, unsure anymore if he was the culprit. No matter how much of a monster Death proved to be, there was absolutely no way he’d sacrifice Carriers. I supposed he’d start with Keepers or at least those that ruled in the Other World and prevented Death from taking action, not those weaklings.

“It wouldn’t,” Jung Min concluded as he flapped harder his wings. He wasn’t affected by the weather or any other natural phenomenon that belonged to the human world. His soul charged body wouldn’t allow that. Yet, I could feel how difficult it was for him to maintain a certain level. It was because of the Carriers' obnoxious cries. Not only were they clawing at my brain, but they also sent huge amounts of energy in every direction, disturbing a little both of our auras. It was really not the best idea to be in air. After I instructed Jung Min to head back, we were stopped by the appearance of a familiar face.

“SEUNGRI!” I almost poked his eyes out as I pointed in his direction like an insane woman.

“WOAH, WOAH, WOAH!” he raised his hands in defense and flapped his four wings in a manner that would permit him to keep a fair distance between us. I had promised him a lot of pain if he ever dared show his mug once more to my family. “It’s not us, okay?” he blurted out as he kept with us. “Please, trust me this time, I swear it’s---”

“TRUST YOU? ARE YOU THAT STUPID?”

“Oi!” Jung Min winced from my voice “Cut it, we already established it couldn’t be Death.”

“Exactly!” Seungri shook his head and looked rather distressed. “Why the heck would we do this? Do you have any idea what happens if spirits aren’t taken in time? This won’t bring us any satisfaction.”

“Let’s head down for now,” I proposed and both reapers glanced at each other before they bolted towards the forest.

 

---

 

“SEUNGRI, YOU BASTARD!” Daesung exploded and almost punched the Warrior if not for Jung Min’s speed. The blood-eyed reaper grabbed Daesung’s hand and tightened his grip before Daesung finally let go. He scoffed towards Seungri who raised and waved his hands agan.

“Okay, blame it on the messenger. It’s that how it works now?”

We all funnily stared at him.

“You killed Yuri,” I stated.

“And Jessica,” Jung Min added.

“You also wanted to kill us too,” Daesung ended.

“FINE, FINE!” Seungri mumbled and crossed his arms above his chest. “Just... help me, okay? All the other Carriers are too afraid to leave the Other World, so we tried to convince other reapers to take over.”

“Let me guess, they aren't doing it,” Jung Min snorted. He had grown to loathe his own kind in the past years, mainly because they were cowards.

 “Yes,” Seungri nodded. He was terrified from the way he spoke next. “There aren’t any Carriers on land that could replace the work here... and if we don’t collect the souls in time, then... well, have you heard about poltergeists? These ghosts will be worse.”

“You mean this happened before?” I inquired and Seungri avoided my gaze.

“How do you know?”

“Well, how else would you know how ghosts will act unless it happened before?” Yes, I had a certain idea of how violent they could become, but there was nothing as exact as what Seungri suggested.

He blankly stared in my direction for a couple of seconds, before his mouth formed an oval shape and slowly nodded.

“Yes...” he trailed off. Jung Min smacked him. “YES, YES, IT HAPPENED BEFORE, OKAY? BUT THAT WAS EONS AGO DURING THE GREAT FALL!”

“MOMMY!”

Our heads snapped towards the house. Changmin ran from Yuri’s grasp and didn’t stop until he hugged my leg.

“...you have a kid?” Seungri asked with a high-pitched tone.

Man, did I want for him to burn too.


Updates will be random due to exams n___n expect more action and since both Yuri and Daesung had their POVs, it will be Jung Min's turn in Nirvana.