Baseball

Baseball

     “Can we exclude powers this time?” Baekyun whined, swinging the bat in his hand. “Last time we lost because Tao went all time control and ran three home runs.”

“Don't whine because you don't have as cool of a power as I do,” Tao retorted back, throwing the baseball in his hand. “Besides, you blinded Minseok before he could make it to second base. The ball ended up smacking him in the face, and Yixing had to heal him for a good hour before the swelling went down.”

Baekhyun shrugged. “Not my fault he wasn't looking.”

“Because he couldn't-”

“Enough arguing,” Joonmyeon scolded, smacking both on the back of their heads as he passed. He dropped down his backpack and called everyone over. “The storm will start soon. I'll try my hardest to keep the rain out of our field, but I can't promise anything. Jongdae, make sure no stray lightening strikes come in, will you? And Yixing, get ready for any injuries that might occur.”

They all nodded their heads before beginning to crack taunts at each other.

“Chinese over here plus the two imposters,” Yifan called, waving two fingers towards his side of the field.

“The rest of you over here,” Joonmyeon called, making he same gesture towards his side.

The only time the twelve of them were able to play baseball, or really any sport, was when people liked to stay inside. Thunder storms were best, since Jongdae sometimes would hit the ball to hard, causing a small lightening storm. Kyungsoo, Joonmyeon's team's best, would hit the ball so hard that it sounded like a crack of thunder. They had tried it before, but police showed up, a long with a group of reporters curious as to why a sudden storm had occurred in the middle of a field. And let's not forget the time Minseok freaked out as the ball came to him and made it snow for five minutes.

If people didn't freak out about this kind of stuff, or if they were ready to make themselves known to the world, all of this would have been fine. Hell, they would make people pay to watch their games, because it could get rather intense, but also very interesting.

After the planning had finished (taking longer than normal due to the complaints of Jongdae who wanted Yifan to slow down on his speech so that he could understand the Chinese better), the captains of the team met in the middle of the field and flipped a coin on who would bat first. Yifan won.

Yixing played the umpire while Yifan went up to swing. Kyungsoo was the pitcher and while he was good at it, there had been incidents where the ball was thrown so hard it broke the bat in two.

“Not full strength, Soo,” Jongin reminded from the outfield. Kyungsoo rolled his eyes and eyed Yifan.

Once he threw it, Yifan swung, hitting it perfectly with an emphasis of movement from Lu Han, causing the ball to fly well into the forest. While normal people would call that a home run, they called it a double. Jongin was quick on his feet, teleporting quickly and grabbing the ball, teleporting back, and throwing it to Sehun on second base a millisecond too late. Yifan grinned in triumph and turns to Jongin. “You're getting slower,” he taunted. The rival between the two was always strong. They often had competitions on who could reach a certain point faster. Ties often took place unless Jongin happened to cheat on some days and teleport onto Yifan, knocking him off balance, then teleporting to the flag or whatever object signified winning.

Jongin rolled his eyes and crossed his arms, awaiting the next pitcher.

An error occurred when Jongdae went up to bat. Normally, he had his powers under control, but a fast and curvy ball came at him thanks to Kyungsoo. He acted fast, too fast in all honesty. Instead of just striking the ball, a flash of lightening followed it, hitting Baekhyun in the leg.

Yixing ran over to him, quickly starting his healing process. “You did that on purpose!” Baekhyun accused, wincing as Yixing moved around the area of impact.

“I swear this one was on accident, Baek.”

“Liar!”

“Really! This one was actually an accident! Kyungsoo threw a weird pitch that I wasn't ready for! Not to mention, I'm trying to keep the rest of the lightening out of here so that no one gets hurt,” Jongdae defended himself.

“You , someone did get hurt! Me!”

“You were the exception-”

“I'll show you exception,” Baekhyun yelled, starting to get up before letting out a cry of pain and falling back down onto his but.

Yixing only shakes his head. “That wasn't smart, Baekhyun.”

“Yeah, thanks.”

 

When the game resumes, they switch sides. Yifan made Lu Han pitch while Joonmyeon let Kyungsoo bat. He said it's all for strategic reasons when in actuality, everyone knew it's because he hated bating first.

Lu Han eyed Kyungsoo carefully, his big doe eyes incredibly deceiving, and when Lu Han watches Kyungsoo, Kyungsoo takes this as a chance to try and read how Lu Han was going to pitch.

“Any time now, princess,” Sehun chided from the side and Lu Han threw him a look before throwing one of his best pitches. Of course, Kyungsoo hit it well, sending it farther than Yifan's. Yifan took a running start before leaping into the air and soaring high to follow the ball. With the help of Zitao, time slowed down enough for Yifan to find the ball and catch it before it hit the ground, giving the other team an out. He flew back to the outfield and grinned.

“That was so cheating,” Jongin yells from behind Kyungsoo. “You can't get your little helper to slow down time just so that you could get people out!”

“I'm sorry? I don't speak Korean,” Zitao joked. Sehun scoffed.

“You seemed perfectly fine at it this morning when you stubbed your toe.”

It's Yifan's turn to roll his eyes and he does it well. “If Jongin can do his little flashy-flashy thing while Kyungsoo throws to kill rather than play, I can fly while Zitao slows down stuff....hypothetically.”

“Yeah, how do you even know that I slowed down time?” Zitao asked.

“Because my body feels all weird and I can't poop for a week,” Baekhyun said this time, Yixing still focused on the lightening wound on his leg.

“Pretty sure that isn't Tao's fault,” Chanyeol snickered. Baekhyun hit him.

“This is why we can never play ball,” Minseok spoke up, pulling off his baseball cap. “You guys always complain too much.”

“Hyung, you froze the ground so Joonmyeon hyung slid right past third base!” Chanyeol quipped.

“You burnt the ball so that whoever touched it next had third degree burns! Poor Xing slept for three days straight!” Yifan argued back.

Joonmyeon let out a long sigh and takes away the rain dome letting pouring rain in. A heated Chanyeol automatically started steaming. “Enough!” he called out, looking between them all. “Let's call it a tie and head home. I'm sure Baekhyun's leg is hurting him.”

So as it usually ends, baseball games are usually full of cheaters, but no one ever complains.