CHAPTER 2: SECOND ENCOUNTER

SWEET AS M&M

CHAPTER 2

It’s been a week after Eunjung met with both Kris and Kai. Until this second, she still regret for not taking their contact number.  At first, she had the intention to ask them but she doesn’t have a gut to do that. And neither Kris nor Kai tried to ask hers. They separated at the airport, and she was rushing.  After bid a goodbye, they split their own way.

Stopping at the Visitor’s center, Eunjung got a number for taxi service and made the call, then bought a bag of m&m. she was starving. She’d eat when she got back to hotel.

Once in the taxi, Eunjung broke open the bag of candy and slowly began eating them, looking out the window, amaze with the gardens around the road. She held her hand to her stomach, hoping that it wouldn’t erupt once she went through the hotel doors as she made her way for them.

“Oh good! They hadn’t finished serving breakfast!” she says grabbed a plate. In seconds flat it was filled with scrambled eggs and yogurts and fruits.

Shortly after, she gratefully went up to her floor from the elevator, muching on the last of her m&ms.

‘They were so good. How was it that little colorful ball of chocolate and peanuts feed the soul in such way?’

Approaching her room at the furthest end, Eunjung reached the candy bag and realized there was only one left as her two fingers picked it up. It slipped as they came clear of the bag, dropping to the floor. She made a swift grab as it rolled, landing on her knees, but the bright m&m disappeared under a door.

‘Oh you’ve got to be kidding me!’ She thought with a huff.

The door opened. Eunjung felt her stomach clench with embarrassment, caught red handed peering under a stranger’s door.

“I’m..” Eunjung began an excuse, looking up. Then she froze in shock. The person standing there froze too, as much disbelief as herself.

Eunjung stood. “Uh, hi Kris.” She managed to get out. She wanted to say something else, but she wasn’t sure what it was. There were numerous questions going off behind Kris’s eyes.

“Hi.” He seemed dazed for a moment.  Then he shook his head.  “Here’s your m&m.” He grabbed it from the floor, and handed it to her. His eyes flicked to the bag that still clutched in her hand. “I’m… assuming that’s a new bag.”

Eunjung blinked. “Oh! Yeah, it’s new.” Eunjung laughed, looking down at it and then back at him. going quiet again, she bit her lower lip. Then her expression firmed, instantly knowing what she had to say.

“Do you want some coffee?”

Kris grinned. “Sure.”

Little half an hour later, they were sitting outside the nearest Starbucks at one of the small round tables near the rail dividing the porch from the parking lot.

“So what you have been up to?” Kris sat, stirring his latte with his lid stopper as Eunjung took sips from her cookie frappacino.

“Travelling, mostly. Sight-seeing.” Eunjung blushed, remembering their conversation on the plane.

“Ah, you took someone’s sage advice.”

“Kind a make you sounds old, using that word.” Eunjung said.

“Nah. People nowadays just sound stupid using it. Unless they are smart like me and know exactly how it should be used.”

Eunjung’s eyebrows crinkled. He glanced at her, and she wondered if he could see that she thought he was full of himself.

“So what brought you here? I thought you were supposed to be in China?” Eunjung repositioned her straw so as to get the chocolate whipped cream.

“We were in China. We just decided to cut our trip short and visit Kai’s cousin, Luhan here. He has a band, and wanted us to come help him out with some stuff.” Kris shifted in his chair, rubbed his leg.

“Really? Like a real band?” Eunjung asked in surprise.

“Well, what’s a real band? He’s good. He and his buddied play in park, and people like to listen to him. just a bunch of crazy guys coming together to do what they love. Actually personally I just like to see the uh, ahem - people that come and dance to the beat.”

Eunjung sat up straight, her narrowed eyes glinting. “What kind of people exactly?”

Kris grinned foolishly, and Eunjung’s lip pursed, eyebrow arching.

“I’m kidding! I’m kidding!” Kris laughed, holding up his hand and leaning back. “Not like that. Although there was once that one girl came up.. she went away after Luhan made a comment to Chen. We’re thankful though that it’s only happened once.” He took a sip. “Now Kris on the other hand – my buddy can dance. And we have ourselves a regular dance off every now and then.”

Eunjung laughed, smiling. “I’d like to see that. He must be really something. Granted.” She added, crossing her legs and straightening her shoulders confidently. “I’d bet fifty dollars that my girlfriend Jiyeon could top him. That girl can dance smooth- you’d think she had grease slicking her shoes.”

“Hmm.” Kris thought for a moment, leaning over the table. “You really want to bet?”

“Jiyeon is back in Jeju. She’s sending Gyuri’s things to her. They were roommates.” Eunjung went silent, thinking of her friends, moving on with things.

“Is your friend happy? Was it a good wedding?”

“Oh yeah.” Eunjung answered, realizing what he meant. “Gyuri is always happy though.” She laughed. “She’s going to be handful for Jinwoon. Certainly keep him in his toes.”

Kris’s eyes roved over her face for a moment, thinking about her words. Then he looked away.

“Perhaps I can ask Jiyeon in a week.” Eunjung added as an afterthought, almost to herself.

“Just for a bet?”

Eunjung snapped to attention. “No. No. it’s just, I think she will like it. She’s wanted to go to there and now that Gyuri is gone, I just know she’ll need her buddies. This would be such a pick me up for her. I really should ask her, after a few days.” Eunjung finished with conviction. She nodded. “Yeah, I think I’ll do that.”

“Hope she’ll be able to come then. Hey, would you like to come and meet Kai and the buddies?”

“Where?”

“We’re just meeting in the park for a quick lunch, and trying out new tunes that Luhan showed us. Hang out.”

“What park? There’s a lot in this country.“

“Balboa Park. The guys are all pitching in for this restaurant that Luhan want Kai to try. I’m sure they wouldn’t mind a girl coming.” He grinned.

“But I’ll pitching in too, right? I wouldn’t want any pampering.” Eunjung said. “Kindness is good, like my mama says. But one must always carry their own load. And I gate to feel like the favorite.” She added.

“Sure. Yeah. So, you wouldn’t mind?”

“Nah. That’ll be fun. Wait.  Are they all as crazy as Kai?”

“Worse.” Kris smiled knowingly. “Well, perhaps worse is an exaggeration. But still, I’d say they are crazy on a slightly different level. But in a way that you can still they’re plainly related.”

Eunjung laughed.

They catch a cab and headed to the park. Once they neared the park itself they went ahead and walked the rest of the way. They jogged up the stairs and Eunjung saw a group of guys standing just shy of the entrance to the The Gurney.

“Hey, they are actually on time.” Kris joked lightly under his breath.

Eunjung felt a flip flop over in her gut, as they approached, unsure what kind of impression she’d make.

The guys were in regular jeans and t shirts. A couple had fedora hats, one was fiddling with a bowler hat. Then there was the normal guy, with a well-worn but nice green shirt. He stood in the middle, talking to the others. He knocked off the other guy’s bowler hat and a couple of the guys laughed.

“Hey Luhan!” Kris waved. “Kai shown up yet?”

“Hey Kris! No. Kai’s not shown yet. Probably checking out a rack of hats in the street, the funky dandy man.” Luhan stepped forward, wrapping his arms in a comfortable embrace about Kris’s shoulder. Kris thumped him on the back. “Nice to see you pal.”

The others either embraced him or gave him a thump of welcome. Luhan was about to ask something but Kris cut in, “This is Eunjung. We met in Seoul.”

“Oh. The?” Luhan smiled at Eunjung, extending his hand, then looked at Kris. Kai had obviously been telling stories. “Nice to meet you.” He said, politely, shaking Eunjung’s hand.

Eunjung gripped it firmly, clamping down in the nervous tremor going through her, unsure what the mystery was.

“You too. We bump into each other, he invited me to lunch. I hope that’s fine.” She motioned to Kris.

“Sure. It’s cool. Don’t worry. I’m sure they won’t have any problem adding another chair.” Luhan waved his hand in casual dismissal.

“Hey Luhan! The buzzy thingy is buzzing!” another of the guys called out, standing up and waving it in the air. They turned for the open doors, and began to file in.

“Yo guys!” a slightly petulant but apologetic voice called out behind as Eunjung turned to follow. She almost spun in surprise

“Sorry I’m late!” Kai puffed out, jogging to stop. “Oh, hi!” he exclaimed, seeing Eunjung, realizing who she was.”

Eunjung grinned sheepishly, amused by his outburst as he seized her hand enthusiastically and shook it.

“Very glad to see you here.” Kai grinned genuinely. “So very excited. You’ll provide a bit a class among these tasteless rascals.” They were following behind the others, going through the doors. Kris was beside, watching the exchange with quite amusement.

Kai straightened his new hat and looked at the waitress stepping out to lead them to their new table. Eunjung caught sight of something dangling from it, and as they went through another set of doors by the front desk into a wider, well lighted area, she tapped Kai on the shoulder. “You still have the tag on your new hat.” She whispered.

Kris tried to stifle a smile as Kai made a face, quickly removing the telltale tag from his hat and then replacing it with a cocky tilt on his head, acting as if nothing had happened. Eunjung smiled to herself.

They were rounded about a table, which had enough chair anyway. Eunjung began to reach for one. Behind her Luhan elbowed Kris in the gut, looking the other way. But Kai was faster than him. He reached over and pulled out Eunjung’s chair.

“Oh thanks.” Eunjung sat down and scooted up, Kai giving the chair a little nudge before sitting himself down. Luhan exchanged the look with Kris. Kris shrugged.

The waitress looked between the guys, trying to take their order of drinks.

“Just go ahead and bring me and these two the pear and peach fruit sodas, the other water. We’ll get them to choose after a few minutes.” Luhan interjected finally, waving his hand. “They obviously need some help deciding.”

“Okay.” The waitress smiled, obviously very thankful, and hurried away before anything else could be said.

Moments later the drinks came. The water was passed out, and the few who had chosen the fruit sodas began to slurp through their straws.

“How about I go ahead and order the appetizer?” Luhan announced. He promptly ordered, leaving the others to still argue and discuss the various items they wanted for lunch. That waitress walked off again.

“Do you have any idea what you want?” Kris asked Eunjung, leaning in slightly to be heard over the squabble.

“Well, a little bit. I’ve managed to narrow it down.” Eunjung says with a small laugh.

“Can I suggest something? That burger there is really good. I’m getting it. I’ve gotten it once before.”

“Oh gosh, it’s huge!”

“Can’t eat it?”

Eunjung made a face, unsure what he meant. She playfully narrowed one eye at him.

“If you couldn’t finish, you could save the rest for dinner. Or just give it to me.” he smiled and took a sip of his soda. He had gotten peach.

“Hey Kris! Can I have a taste?” Chen from the other side of the table asked. He had a way of fidgeting with his hands. He hadn’t been able to decide what to order.

“Kris shook his head, and extended the glass to him. “Fine. No backwash or you’re wearing it.”

Chen took a good drink. “Hey this is good. Hey Luhan, I think I’ll get the peach. I don’t like the pear. Well, not as much.”

“After drinking half of mine?” Tao, Mr Bowler Hat, retorted.

“Then order it yourself.” Luhan called back, still looking at his menu.

Chen grinned. He obviously liked being a childish.

Eunjung eyed the peach soda as Kris took it back. Kai looked at the drink and then changed it back to Eunjung.

“Why don’t you have a taste?” Kai whispered to her ear. She smiled.

“Do you mind?” she asked Kris.

Kris looked at her, realized what she meant and then passed her the glass.

“You might want a different straw. Here.” Kai tore open a new one and exchanged it. Kris watched them with a plain smile.

“Thanks.” Eunjung take a sip. “Wow.” Eunjung swallowed as it tickled . “That’s quite good.”

“They make it fresh.” Kris smiled. “Local fruit and all that.”

“I’m getting that. And I’ll get the burger too. I need some meat in my gut.” Eunjung stated resolutely.

“And some fattening fries and yummy beans. So that’s sounds good.”

The waitress was finally able to get a full order, and came back with the rest of the drinks a few minutes later. Eunjung observed the other at the table. Luhan was at the farthest end, with Chen on his left and Tao on his right. They were in a tense discussion with Kai about the certain kinds of sound of a few artists, and what their genres really covered.

Kris listened, looked at Eunjung and then poked his ice with his straw. They guys could go on forever, just for sake of arguing about their favorite musicians and ticking each other off.

Eunjung suddenly caught Paul Simon’s name and leapt into the discussion with, “hey buddy. There is no doubt that Paul Simon is a rock star. Not what a lot of people would picture a typical rock star to be nowadays but he has his own class. His first love is rock, and always will be. Bottom line.”

“Hey, not only does she up your class Kris, she knows Simon!” Luhan laughed jokingly, impressed.

Kris gave him a looked of feigned appreciation.

“Thank you.” Luhan continued with a laugh, raising his glass to Eunjung. Eunjung raised hers in mock play, smiling coyly. She was certainly going to enjoy herself. Her tension gradually eased away as she immersed herself in the conversation. She decided she liked these guys.

Their food had come. When Eunjung saw the size of her burger, she could only stare. And when she took about she had to laugh at its pathetic size. Kris laughed, and took a gigantic bite out of his, cheesy and lettuce dangling from the corner of his mouth.

“Pig!” Eunjung exclaimed, almost choking her food.

Kris just grinned messily, and pulled the rest of the cheese and lettuce into his mouth with a .

When most of them were done, the waitress asked if they were having s dessert, a couple said yes but Eunjung’s answer was quicker. She was having the chocolate cake.

Kris looked around the table, taking a drink of water. Listening. Thinking quietly, wondering what he wanted to do. The waitress came up with the dessert plates, and he watched as a chocolate cake with a scoop of ice cream was set in front of Eunjung. Her face lit in a singular look of rapturous awe. He studied it, amused and wondering at the effect certain foods had on women.

But then, Eunjung’s face was different. She had her own light. There was something about her that was just simply…her. At least it really seemed that way.

Kris eyes lingered on her for a moment before turning away again, the sounds of the present joshing reaching his ears again. Eunjung laughed at Chen reaching over and trying to take a steal bite from Tao’s tart.

She saw Kris glance at her and offered her plate. Kris took his fork and took a chunk of cake. “Thanks.” he smiled.