CHAPTER 3 : A CONFESSION

SWEET AS M&M

Stepping out into the sunshine with the others, Eunjung’s thought drifted to realization of how different her time was going than how she expected. The events of the early morning and night before already seemed long ago. She was with new people. Felt like an entirely new atmosphere.

Kai and Luhan had stopped near the fountaion, and began to discuss where to go next. Eunjung heard a little bit of it, something about another friend driving in  with certain of their instruments. They had recently done a gig there.

Kris tilted his head, letting out his breath. He put his hands in his pockets. He knew what they’d likely end up going. He glanced at Eunjung. “Have a good time?”

“Yeah.” She nodded simply.

“What do you think of them?” he motioned with a nod to the others.

“Crazy.” Eunjung smiled. “But fun. I think I like them.”

“You think?”

“Well, yeah.”

“Good. Because you’d have to be crazy to love them immediately.”

“oh, I don’t know. Perhaps it’s kind of crazy. They’re.. just being themselves. Being guys. Having good time. and they are not j—“ Eunjung paused. “They behave. I’ve met some dirt bags, but I like these dudes.”

Kris chuckled. “Dudes.”

“Yeah, dudes!” It’s very American term. Girl used it too. Although honestly I really don’t like the name ‘dudettes’. I think it sound stupid. And weird. Although sometimes I just end up calling my girlfriends dudes anyway.. so perhaps that’s just even stranger.”

Kris laughed. ‘You are different, Eunjung.’

They began to move off, obviously having settled on a course to take. Eunjung wondered where they were going. “Where are we going?” She whispered to Kris.

“Shopping.” Kris answered. “And they call Kai the dandy. I grow up to escape my horde of girl cousins, and I end up with dudes that like to shop. Just my luck.”

Eunjung chuckled. “Oh, it’s not all bad.”

“No, not all bad, just could use less. The funky dandies.” They shared a laugh.

Their laughter attracted Kai’s attention. “You two! Have something to share? It wasn’t good to keep them only between both of you.”

“Nah! It’s nothing special. We weren’t discussing about “

A while later they came to a street with a few racks of various items of apparel for sale. Hats, sunglasses, some jewelry, purses, scarves.

 ‘What would someone want with a scarf when it’s so freaking hot?’ Eunjung wondered to herself. Although they do look nice.

She a glittery one, and passed on. The guys were spreading out but their voices carried to one another, making fun. Kai was trying on a masculine, chunky gold bracelet. He glanced at Eunjung and a couple guys nearby. He motioned and pointed to the bracelet. The guys give a brief thumbs up, and went back to what they were looking at. Tao was looking at sunglasses that were almost identical to the ones he had. Eunjung wondered if he got his from the same place. Kai turned to another rack.

Eunjung a tiny purse hanging from its long shoulder strap. Kris was a few feet away, looking at some tiny accessories. She couldn’t see but Luhan was making faces and hand signals for Kris to do something, and Kris was responding, trying to get him to shut up. Finally he made a promise to do something to him later and Luhan made a face of feigned shock and disapproval.

Kris waved him off with a quick swipe of his arm. Luhan walked off, gesturing names as he disappeared behind a rack of scarves and belts.

Eunjung was still looking at the purses, trying to fathom some being so incredibly small. “What are you going to put in this?” She muttered aloud, picking it up. It was yellow, with a single button to close. “ liners?”

Then she realized that Chen was standing right beside her, staring at her open-mouthed in surprise through a pair of sunglasses he was trying on. The tag dangled by his nose.

“Oh I’m so sorry. I didn’t mean to say that aloud.” Eunjung held up her hands in apology.

Chen gave her a big goofy smile and went back to trying on another pair sunglasses and looking in small mirror.

A while later as they were crossing to another side of park, Luhan got the call from the friend that he had arrived. Jogging to the sidewalk, they headed down a street to parking lot that he had stipulated. Eunjung looked at the gardens, listened to the conversation as she kept up from behind. She glanced at Kris, who was quiet.  Just strolling along. She wondered what he was thinking.

When they entered the parking lot behind one of the museums, Eunjung looked at the newcomer, Sehun. He was a bit handsome than the others. He opened his trunk as Chen and Tao got their own things from the back seats. Luhan and Sehun took out the guitar from the back. Sehun slammed the top back down.

No intro was given, conversation just went on. Eunjung was somewhat surprised as she followed them again, happy to be listening, to be observing. There was something so natural and real about these people.

And when they set up at one of the walks, framing one side of the steps. In moments, Luhan grinning, they began and all of sudden the music was there. Eunjung was dumbfounded. It was simple, pure. Real. It didn’t take itself seriously, but there was love in it. Eunjung chuckled to herself, leaning over the rail as she listened, proud for herself for remembering.

Eunjung laughed. The guys were moving with the beat, tapping their feet and grooving in their own kind of world. Luhan sang, a smooth, rich sound that was fun and slightly mocking. Making fun. He wagged his head, and Kai, strumming simple chords on a ukulele, suddenly jumped up and did a bizarre dance in front of them, as he didn’t care that the whole world might be watching. Eunjung laughed out loud again, her head throwing itself back, and she clapped her hands. These dudes! Man, they obviously lived life to the fullest.

Then she looked at Kris. He was standing behind, casually listening, and smiling knowingly, his head moving with the rhythm. She realized she hadn’t said anything to him for a while. For the half an hour she had acted like an extra tagging along. She crossed over to his rail.

“How long they have been doing this?” she asked, leaning on it and looking up at him.

“For three years now.” Kris answered. He was smiling at Kai’s awkward, leg-swinging caper. “But if you want to know how long Kai has been doing it, since the day he realized he had legs.”

Eunjung giggled,turning her attention back to them for a moment. she didn’t know where to take the conversation.

“Do you-“ she began. But just then the song ended, a few people whooped and clapped briefly as they went on their way.

“Kris, show us your hand now.” Luhan said. His big smile broad over his face. “Tickle this guitar for me. It’s been awhile.”

“You mean since someone smashed my guitar?” Kris joshed as the others waved for him to come on down and take Eric’s place. Tao actually grabbed his pant leg and pulled.

Eunjung stepped back to the other side of the steps, so she could see what Kris was doing. He resignedly sat on the step, cradling the guitar in his lap, his hand going where they belonged. She could tell by their easy touch that holding a guitar was for him as natural as picking a fork. Eagerly, she waited.

“Okay, let’s do ‘You're beautiful.‘, guys.” Kris stated, doing a quick strum. Eunjung watched Kris’s hand and his lips as he formed the words. There was something special there. He could speak things in a way she couldn’t, and she wished she could. In silent astonishment, caught up in just listening to these beautiful things these people created.

The song came to an end, and a couple who had stopped nearby to listen clapped their hands, smiling. “That was really nice!” The girl said sincerely. “You guys are great!” then she and her boyfriend continued on, smiling before they turned away and talking to each other.

Kris got to his feet, and handed Luhan back the guitar.

“Thanks, man.” He said, grinning in appreciation. “You really need another guitar.”

“Yeah.” It came out of Kris like a half laugh. “You’re telling me.”

Eunjung was smiling softly, realizing that he missed it, obviously.

“What happened?” she asked.

“Ah ha. Let’s just say that it got damaged in transit, and whether the fault is ours or the attendants can be disputed. We’ll never know.” Kai said quickly. “Let’s just say it’s a good thing, because if it had been definitely one of our faults, then Kris would have pulverized the culprit.”

“Ah.” Eunjung looked at Kris. Wondering if he was actually capable of turning somebody limb from limb over the death of guitar. “Perhaps for the best?”

Kris didn’t answer, he just put his hands in his pockets as the boys started up another song.

Eunjung didn’t know it, but Kris wasn’t thinking about a smashed guitar anymore. He was thinking about smashed chances, and milestones in life that gave second chances.

"Eunjung, will you be my girl?"