Drag me down

Metamorphose

 

The dust cleared.

 

Kibum could hear the clang of metal amidst the loud yells.

 

The courtyard was filled with ninjas. Students and teachers alike were fighting with an evil horde of ninjas that had invaded the school.

 

Kibum could not believe what he was seeing. But he had no time to stare.

 

He noticed Ha Young fighting tooth and nail with three ninjas nearly twice her size. He jumped to her aid, grabbing a staff that lay near his feet.  Together they fended off the ninjas, before going to help their fellow students. As they ran, Ha Young could see Ra Hyo take down two ninjas at the same time.  She can hold her own, Ha Young thought.

 

The battle was long, and many fell. Around them, they could see some of their friends fall back, wounded. Some were even killed. But there was no time to feel remorseful. The only thing they could do was keep fighting, to prevent the death of even more students and masters.

 

It felt like eternity, but the siege finally seemed to be ending. The evil ninjas fell back, and started to retreat. At last, it was over.

 

Kibum surveyed his surroundings. The sight of his fellow students filled his heart with sadness, and he and Ha Young split off, Kibum to find out how this happened, while Ha Young went to find her sister to make sure everyone was alright.

 

Kibum ran through the school, seeing people who had fallen being helped by their friends and masters. Everything seemed alright.

 

Suddenly, Kibum stopped. The sight of what lay before him made his heart freeze.

 

His master. Lee Jinki – lying on the ground, unmoving.

 

Kibum could not believe it. He ran to his master, and shook him.

 

“Master, master please, get up! Are you okay? Please!” He said, blinking back tears.

 

Finally, Jinki responded. Kibum thanked the heavens, and asked Jinki what on earth had happened. Why were there so many ninjas? Why was there an attack on the school? He had so many questions to ask.

 

But Jinki could only moan in pain. Kibum drew back, only to see the bloodstains on Jinki. Battle wounds were on his arms, legs and face. His master was on the brink of death, hanging on by his fingernails.

 

Kibum paled. “H-H-Help! Someone help us!” he shouted repeatedly. Jinki looked into Kibum’s eyes.

 

“I’ll be alright, Kibum. Eventually.”

 

“Who did this to you? Who attacked the school? Please master, help me understand.” Kibum pleaded.

 

And so, Jinki told Kibum what he had never told anyone at the school, not even his fellow masters. All about Jonghyun, his search for power, and the threat he had made against Jinki all those years ago. It was finally happening. Jonghyun was back for power, and in the process, to get back at his younger brother for all the pain he had caused Jonghyun over the years. Kibum reeled in shock and amazement. He never believed someone so evil and repressed could exist, much less related to the kindest and most honest person Kibum had ever known.

 

Kibum was angry – very angry. His voice shook with bitter rage as he swore to the man who lay broken before him.

 

“Master, I will avenge you. I will bring honour back to our school, and I shall bring honour back to you. I swear this on my life.”

 

But before Jinki could reply and dissuade him from setting out on this dangerous quest; some students arrived, with help. They had heard Kibum’s calls, and came to investigate. They slowly and carefully brought Jinki to the infirmary, which was already filled with injured students and masters. Kibum tried to follow, but as soon as he turned to follow, he heard someone run towards him.

 

He whipped around.

 

It was Ha Young. Tears ran down her face, her nose was red and a nasty-looking bruise was forming above her right eye. But more importantly than that, Kibum could see the pain in her eyes – the pain of someone who had lost everything.

 

“Ha Young, what’s wrong? Tell me, please.”

 

Ha Young shook her head and steadied herself to speak the horrible truth, “My parents. They’re… they’re d-d-d-dead.”

 

Ha Young broke down there, sobbing uncontrollably as she clutched onto Kibum’s shirt. Kibum was shocked, but he couldn’t say anything, simply holding his best friend while she emptied her sorrows on him. He slowly guided her to the infirmary, where they met with Ra Hyo. Even though Kibum disliked her, he knew that he should hold his tongue.

 

Ra Hyo looked drained. Emotionless. Kibum was stunned. Had she nothing to say, even when the two most important people in her life were gone?

 

Ra Hyo took her sister in her arms, and sat her down on a nearby chair. Kibum turned and left. He couldn’t take it anymore. All the sadness, all the pain. It was too much for him to bear. He went back to his room, which was in shambles after the attack. All the bitter feelings that he felt inside was attacking his soul, clawing at it, threatening to drag Kibum deeper. He couldn’t take it. He curled up into a ball on the floor, and slowly dissolved into tears. He cried for his master, for Ha Young’s family, and for his dream. Ninjitsu was almost gone now, without the school and his friends. Kibum simply lay there on the dusty floor and let his emotions consume him, filling him until he had to stop; or just fall asleep to forget the pain of his world.